AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-10-23, 17:47   Link #81
zetsubo666

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoiYuki View Post
Weird that they didn't make the executions higher quality.. I wouldn't imagine that would be a huge issue for them, but oh well.

Really curious about school mode for Togami, since he seems to be the only one no one's talking about anywhere. Also curious how it goes with Mukuro.
Spoiler for School Mode:
zetsubo666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-23, 18:49   Link #82
orangejuicetang

About this school mode, out of curiosity exactly how does Monakuma get 'defeated early'?

If a corrupt court will not behead an evil king, than the watchman should do it himself.
orangejuicetang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-25, 15:15   Link #83
marvelB

Well, here are the first screenshots of the localized version. Uh, is it just me, or does the normal dialogue font look mighty similar to the one used in the Project Zetsubou version?

Also, as I said before, I have no problem with NISA using "Ultimate" in place of 'Super/Ultra/Hyper High School Whatever'. At the very least, I find it much more fitting compared to "Super Duper" from the Zetsubou translation.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-25, 15:23   Link #84
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

To be really honest, I would take Super Duper High school over "Ultimate" any day of the week. Ultimate is quite an exaggeration that goes beyond the "context" of the series without blowing it up for the lulz.

Still, that "pop sensation" and all keeps rubbing me the wrong way...
Old 2013-10-25, 15:43   Link #85
marvelB

Eh, I still like the good ol' "Super High School Level" the best. Simple and to the point, it is. IMO, Super Duper sounds slightly more exaggerated than Ultimate does, but different strokes for different folks, I guess.

As far as the localized titles go, the only one I might have a slight problem with is Yamada's (the world of doujin is a good deal broader than just fanfiction, methinks), but I do understand that they had to find the closest equivalent for the English-speaking audience. And at least none of the titles used is nowhere near close to "Super Duper One Percenter" in terms of abstractness.
Old 2013-10-26, 13:31   Link #86
GoldenLand
Eaten by goats

I like the sound of Ultimate better than Super Duper, but it is misleading, since it leaves out the high school part. "Ultimate pop sensation", for example, makes it sound as if Maizono is the world's ultimate popstar.

The names for the official translation are still hit and miss. The biggest miss is definitely Ishimaru, in my opinion. Moral Compass, what. Togami as "Ultimate Affluent Progeny" is pretty bad, too. It's so clunky sounding, even if it's accurate. "Ultimate Fanfic Creator" for Yamada is awful, considering that they could have gone with "Ultimate Fan Comic Creator" so easily.

I do like their choice of Fashionista for Junko, though.
GoldenLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-27, 16:18   Link #87
KoiYuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenLand View Post
The names for the official translation are still hit and miss. The biggest miss is definitely Ishimaru, in my opinion. Moral Compass, what. Togami as "Ultimate Affluent Progeny" is pretty bad, too. It's so clunky sounding, even if it's accurate. "Ultimate Fanfic Creator" for Yamada is awful, considering that they could have gone with "Ultimate Fan Comic Creator" so easily.
On top of that Ishimaru one, it makes no sense, because we do have hall monitors here and we know what they are. At least make his talent school-related, like "prefect" or something. It doesn't make sense for a 'moral compass' to do morning exercises with the villain that trapped them all there to kill each other.

"Affluent Progeny" does sound ridiculous too. I kind of like "Heir" or even "Scion" better; it's short and to the point, and also has that slight air of "how is that a talent?", making his free-time events where he explains it more interesting.

I'll always stick with Super High School Level. It gets the whole point across, and Super Duper High Schooler sounds TOO silly, and grammatically awkward. Ultimate is just kind of boring, and it doesn't really make sense to me why they shorted it to that. Even "Ultimate High School" would've worked. Just more surprised they didn't go with either the fandom name (SHSL) or the fansub name (SDHS).

Imo, the good:
Clairvoyant
Gambler
Programmer
Fashionista (encompasses "gal" much better than something like "model" would)
Martial Artist

The middle:
Writing Prodigy (just call her a "writer"..)
Pop Sensation ("Sensation" makes it sound less like a talent and more like a fad, "pop star" would've worked)
Baseball Star ("player">"star")
Swimming Pro (again with the unnecessary word after the talent)
Biker Gang Leader (I feel like it could've been something like "biker gangster")

The bad:
Affluent Progeny (explained above)
Fanfic Creator (changes the talent, I understand why, but it's an anime game, I think people will understand "Fan-Comic Creator" or something)

Too many unnecessary words in a lot of those. I feel like adding "pro" and "prodigy" and "star" (except in the case of maybe something like what Maizono does, that's a different meaning) makes it all really redundant. Yeah, that works in lieu of a SHSL title, where it's definitely silly, but they don't do it with everyone, so it defeats the point. Not to mention they don't even have the same word. Ultimate Pop Star, Ultimate Baseball Star, Ultimate Writing Star... it would sound dumb, but it'd be more correlative, I guess.

I can't help but wonder what Naegi and Kirigiri will end up with (as long as it isn't that awful "Luckster" title...).
KoiYuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-12, 13:18   Link #88
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/...ary-11th-2014/

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-13, 15:34   Link #89
Sute443
Sasaki-ist

I was looking at NISA's Danganronpa site because of the release date announcement, and their animation gives different titles from the ones listed above. Maybe they've revised the list?

Differences:

Fanfic Creator -> Otaku
Pop Sensation -> Pop Star
Bike Gang Leader -> Gangster
Writing Prodigy -> Writer
Sute443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-05, 17:02   Link #90
widagtama

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
widagtama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-18, 20:29   Link #91
Shadow5YA

I heard NISA changed Genocider Sho to Genocider Jack
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-11, 11:25   Link #92
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

http://www.japanator.com/danganronpa...n--31517.phtml
RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-13, 23:22   Link #93
iceyfw

that rumor article turns into.. TRUTH!

Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair coming west this fall
http://gematsu.com/2014/02/danganron...ming-west-fall
iceyfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-14, 00:14   Link #94
marvelB

Heh, and to think that so many people expected the sequel to be released in another 2-3 years (if at all).

Anyway, this is awesome news! I haven't gotten the first game's Vita port yet, but with this news it may be better to wait until the sequel comes out and get both at once (wonder if NISA would even consider packaging both games together like the original Japanese version did?).
Old 2014-02-14, 04:19   Link #95
KitsyLove
Dangerous Cutie

I can't sit still! My limited edition of the first game is on it's way to my house...Danganronpa 2 officially announced...I just want to spin and spin on my chair right now!

*reads previous comment* Wait, what. THIS fall? Seriously? THIS FALL?! Huaaaah!

This user is currently unable to give a proper reply as she has fainted of fandom madness.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
KitsyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-16, 04:30   Link #96
Valid

Great news, Looks like I'll have to get myself a vita....and the first game
Old 2014-02-23, 20:30   Link #97
smilewolfy

I have a question for the english PS Vita version, I just got it ordered in the other day (Finally, such fanboying) but does the official english version come with school mode?
Old 2014-02-24, 05:24   Link #98
Rayneing
Trombe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilewolfy View Post
I have a question for the english PS Vita version, I just got it ordered in the other day (Finally, such fanboying) but does the official english version come with school mode?
Yes, it does.
Old 2014-02-24, 17:20   Link #99
smilewolfy

^okay thank you very much
Old 2014-02-25, 06:44   Link #100
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

After reading the prologue and chapter 1, I guess I will just give up hoping NISA translator(s) don't fail giving the actual nuances.

Leaving aside the issues with the clumsy titles, I found it silly they had to nickname some characters in general. That's arguably obvious they made it so english VA wouldn't have hard time to pronunce some of their names, but it leads to some issues:
-I really REALLY don't think a honor student like Kiyotaka would de facto tell anyone to call him "Taka". He is hell bent into rules and all (which already screw the "moral compass" stuff right from the get go), so nicknames are no go.
-I don't see Makoto doing this either at all, so him using nicknames, especially those who didn't introduce themselves as such doesn't make much sense either (like he used "Hiro" for Hagakure immediately).
-It makes even less sense for Aoi who was nicknamed... Hina. Now, tell me why they need her to have a nickname, despite Aoi is short already? Hell, it is based on her last name, which defeat the purpose of them making characters calling each other by their first name.
-Celestia asking people to call her Celeste instead of Celes. I don't get the need for such change: for all intent and purpose, it is her own choice of nickname, yet she deliberately lower it by only 1 syllabe?
It isn't like "Celes" is anything obscure by any mean.

Meanwhile, the use of first name and extra nicknames actually make the characters relationship too homogeneous, so when you have the likes of Byakuya calling people by their first name only, it lessen his condescending tone (full name and the likes isn't everyone's usual mileage but that's just me I guess).
It also make Hifumi's calling habit vastly more obvious, despite his approach isn't supposed to be like that (even Capcom made Blackquill use "dono" to put emphasis on the samurai-ish speech in AA5 dual destinies).
Likewise, it also change a bit how Aoi is mentioning characters (which lead to situation that people wouldn't really get, like Leon's "Sakura?")

On another note, it had to be said, but whereas the font for dialogue text is fine, their graphic design sucks massively when it comes to image text during trials, especially Makoto's 論破 and the non stop debate / interface text. If you were to compare with the fanmade patch, the latter looks by far cleaner and more pro than NISA's.