AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2014-04-12, 15:25   Link #1
Seitsuki
Onee!

Civilization: Beyond Earth

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/04/12/ci...logy-and-more/

Haven't gotten chills from a trailer since forever. The hype is real!
Old 2014-04-12, 15:30   Link #2
konart

Alpha Centauri 2! Yey!
Old 2014-04-12, 15:52   Link #3
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
That's a pretty good trailer no doubt. Definitely some nice buildup and tone with it.

Curious to see how the next Civ turns out with that kind of premise behind it.
Old 2014-04-12, 15:58   Link #4
Chosen_Hero

If only these kind of games would come to consoles. Always loved these kind of games, but as someine who doesn't have the funds to make a gaming rig it's kind if sad I won't get to play it.
Old 2014-04-12, 16:07   Link #5
Xacual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosen_Hero View Post
If only these kind of games would come to consoles. Always loved these kind of games, but as someine who doesn't have the funds to make a gaming rig it's kind if sad I won't get to play it.
I play Civ5 on a laptop that cost me $250 two years ago. You don't need a thousand dollar computer to play games.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-12, 17:30   Link #6
Strigon 13
Electrosphere

If this game happens to be a spiritual succesor/remake of Alpha Centauri, I'll gladly give my money to Firaxis.
Strigon 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-12, 17:32   Link #7
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosen_Hero View Post
It's a turn-based game. If you own a recent computer you can play it.
Old 2014-04-12, 17:34   Link #8
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

But why not outright name it Alpha Centauri or something else? Civilization going to space implies they're not going to continue the historical spirit of the previous games in the next iterations, and I really don't like the thought of that.

Aside from that concern, yeah, I'm hyped for this as well!
Old 2014-04-12, 17:53   Link #9
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
But why not outright name it Alpha Centauri or something else?
Because another company own the right of it.
Old 2014-04-12, 17:55   Link #10
Rayneing
Trombe!

Quote:
But why not outright name it Alpha Centauri or something else? Civilization going to space implies they're not going to continue the historical spirit of the previous games in the next iterations, and I really don't like the thought of that.
The Alpha Centauri IP belongs to EA, I believe. Much easier to just expand the Civilization name, especially considering Alpha Centauri was only created because they didn't have the Civilization IP at the time.
Old 2014-04-12, 18:47   Link #11
VDZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xacual View Post
I play Civ5 on a laptop that cost me $250 two years ago. You don't need a thousand dollar computer to play games.
What kind of magic does your laptop perform? Mine was 700 euros two years ago and is only capable of running Civ V when set to full performance - any lighter power setting makes the game lag significantly. Even at full performance, loading times take ages. Civ V is programmed in a very inefficient way and uses an excessive amount of resources for what it does.

Quote:
Because
1) They can't use the Alpha Centauri name (trademark now owned by EA); but more importantly
2) This is not Alpha Centauri 2. From what I've heard of it so far, it's going to be closer to Civ V than Alpha Centauri. AC will definitely have its influence on this, but this is Civilization in space, not a sequel to Alpha Centauri.
VDZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-12, 18:47   Link #12
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:

Aside from that concern, yeah, I'm hyped for this as well!
Other than what others have said, there is also the fact that we now know as a fact that Alpha Centauri does NOT have a habitable planet, so it doesn't make sense to go there anymore.
Old 2014-04-12, 18:51   Link #13
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Hopefully this would be mechanically different enough than the usual Civ games. While SMAC is highly revered, it is still essentially a Civ game with a sci fi skin.

Out of the features listed on their official website, i'm most interested in the orbital layer function. It would great to add some 3D space into a traditional 2D turn based 4X game. Looking forward to see how they handle it.
Old 2014-04-12, 19:12   Link #14
Xacual

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDZ View Post
What kind of magic does your laptop perform? Mine was 700 euros two years ago and is only capable of running Civ V when set to full performance - any lighter power setting makes the game lag significantly. Even at full performance, loading times take ages. Civ V is programmed in a very inefficient way and uses an excessive amount of resources for what it does.
I mean loading time to start games does take a while, and in large games with lots of city states and players turns take a long time for the computer to process but it's not long enough to actually bother me.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-12, 19:31   Link #15
Strigon 13
Electrosphere

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDZ View Post
2) This is not Alpha Centauri 2. From what I've heard of it so far, it's going to be closer to Civ V than Alpha Centauri. AC will definitely have its influence on this, but this is Civilization in space, not a sequel to Alpha Centauri.
I wonder if will be like Galactic Civilizations/that mod for Civ4 (can't remember the name) or something in the lines of that. But something like Civilization in space just sounds... weird.
Strigon 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-12, 22:24   Link #16
Chosen_Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xacual View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
It's a turn-based game. If you own a recent computer you can play it.
Really?, hmmm well now I'm thinking of getting this when it releases, thanks.
Old 2014-04-12, 22:32   Link #17
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

My main point was, "Civilizations" has always been rooted on historical settings, even if they're not entirely accurate. Going to space completely steps outside of that, so IMO at the very least it should have a different name even if the genre is basically the same. My biggest fear is that after this comes out, CIV VI or CIV VII or the next ones might no longer have historical root and continue with the space theme. Here's hoping the name "Beyond Earth" functions as such distinction.

Anyways, since this time the starting timeline is space, I also fear the possible Civ candidate is greatly narrowed down unless it takes place in a fictional world, or if we also have Alien Civs. As awesome as Space Mayans, Space Ottomans, or Space Mongols sound, I doubt they'll be in this game. Or who knows, maybe they'll decide "screw it" and put them in
Old 2014-04-12, 22:36   Link #18
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
I want them to bring back the awesome quotes from Alpla Centauri. Those, other than the alien landscape, were the best part of the game.

I am so fucking hype I am shaking. This is the kind of game I'd fucking preorder on Steam no matter the price tag.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-12, 22:43   Link #19
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
My main point was, "Civilizations" has always been rooted on historical settings, even if they're not entirely accurate. Going to space completely steps outside of that, so IMO at the very least it should have a different name even if the genre is basically the same. My biggest fear is that after this comes out, CIV VI or CIV VII or the next ones might no longer have historical root and continue with the space theme. Here's hoping the name "Beyond Earth" functions as such distinction.

Anyways, since this time the starting timeline is space, I also fear the possible Civ candidate is greatly narrowed down unless it takes place in a fictional world, or if we also have Alien Civs. As awesome as Space Mayans, Space Ottomans, or Space Mongols sound, I doubt they'll be in this game. Or who knows, maybe they'll decide "screw it" and put them in
You will find the link below helpful. It has a lot of details.
http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/04/12/ci...logy-and-more/
Old 2014-04-12, 22:57   Link #20
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Sold!

Dem feels from that video. Damn I cannot wait for this.