AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-10-19, 00:18   Link #1
MusoukaProductions
Kick reason to the curb

Epic War Anime

This forum was really good at recommending when I posted before and now I'm in the mood for something different.

I'm looking for something with an epic war in it, between two countries, planets, factions whatever. Something like TTGL and the Gurenn-Dan or Last Exile and the war against the Guild. The focus can be on just a few main characters (like Simon/Kamina) but the war also needs to be a pretty central focus. Sci-fi, mecha, medieval, magic, whatever is fine.

If anyone is a star trek fan, something like the Dominion War in DS9 is similar to what I'm looking for.
Old 2008-10-19, 00:28   Link #2
jedinat

Seikai no Monshou - war in space... a bit more realistic and deep than most sci-fi anime
Simoun - sorta Last Exile meets yuri
Utawarerumono - feudal warfare
Old 2008-10-19, 00:40   Link #3
james0246

Since Seikai no Monshou has been mentioned, how about Legend of the Galactic Heroes. Or, how about the newer title Bounen no Xamdou.

Honestly, almost every Mecha series would work for the OPs request, hell almost any series no matter the genre would work for the request (considering that a majority, or at least a large minority, deals with military strife of some sort that focuses on the distinction between two or more sides of a conflict with the main character exemplifying the differences and similarities between the two groups).
Old 2008-10-19, 00:53   Link #4
MusoukaProductions
Kick reason to the curb

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Since Seikai no Monshou has been mentioned, how about Legend of the Galactic Heroes. Or, how about the newer title Bounen no Xamdou.

Honestly, almost every Mecha series would work for the OPs request, hell almost any series no matter the genre would work for the request (considering that a majority, or at least a large minority, deals with military strife of some sort that focuses on the distinction between two or more sides of a conflict with the main character exemplifying the differences and similarities between the two groups).

It's true that a lot of series focus on these sorts of issues but I'm more specifically looking for ones with big epic battles and a lot of events involving a lot of characters( including the main ones). Not just like small skirmishes.
Old 2008-10-19, 01:06   Link #5
othera

Im only half way through the series, but Gilgamesh is about 2 factions fighting eachother.
Old 2008-10-19, 01:07   Link #6
Cynor
SS Bombardment Mage

Code Geass comes to mind. Although it isn't non-stop battles there are quite a few big ones which involve a lot of people.

We will always exist before our Mistress of the Night Sky, Hayate
Old 2008-10-19, 01:34   Link #7
wao
OK.

I second Legend of the Galactic Heroes. I'm also guessing the currently-airing Tytania, by the same author, might fit the bill... would Towards the Terra count as well? They're all old-skool epic-large-scale-war type of things... having said that, it's not like I've watched any of them. Ouch.

Seikai no Monshou and Seikai no Senki would work too perhaps, but from what I remember a lot of time was spent on the tactical part of the war and not so much on the other parts (the homeworlds of both places and that stuff). It's been so long since I've watched this my memory's mouldy. I think I spent more memoryspace on the interaction between the main two characters, to be honest...

I'd love to suggest the last third of the Rose of Versailles, but that might be cheating since it's centered around historical events and it's only that part of the show, although earlier events are relevant IMO.
Berserk might fit your bill but it's not so much an epic war as it's a lot of various wars that eventually turn epic. The REALLY epic stuff only happens in the manga that continues after the anime's rather evil ending, however. The manga itself is taking an epic amoutn of time to finish, too.

And how about Wings of Rean - it's short and very fast-paced and does focus on the how the main characters get out of their situation, but it's a war of worlds and there's always a lot going on at one time, with a considerable cast of characters too. I really got the feeling of "war going on" with this show; the scale's pretty big sometimes. But the show itself has a lot of shortcomings too...
Old 2008-10-19, 02:21   Link #8
MusoukaProductions
Kick reason to the curb

Thanks for all of the suggestions! Currently watching Crest of the Stars and it seems exactly like what I wanted.
Old 2008-10-19, 02:31   Link #9
GreatTeacherKen

I'll suggest two epic war comedies:

How about The Irresponsible Captain Tylor? You can call it a comedic space opera. The main character's way of looking at the world is quite interesting and the cast is mostly likeable. It also has probably the most epic game of chicken ever.

Vandread: This is an interesting blend of harem comedy (though it's fairly obvious what the main couple's going to be) and epic space opera action. The 2nd season leans heavier towards the serious epic war elements and has some good plot twists and while I think the 2nd season is better, both seasons are solid entertainment.
Old 2008-10-19, 05:17   Link #10
Aquillion

Gasaraki, perhaps, for a mecha-anime. Although the focus is more on warfare and military itself than on a particular war.

Also, the last major plot arc of Twelve Kingdoms.
Old 2008-10-19, 06:05   Link #11
tbl
Affably Evil

Any of the main Gundam series revolve around a giant world/inter-planetary war. The side series usually just focus on a small part of one of the wars from the major series.
Destroy. Destroy. Destroy. Slowly, completely, gently beyond comparison, cruelly to the point of numbness, I'll violate your life. That's right. The instant I rip off your limbs, tear open your rib and pull out your intestines, biting into your neck as you scream in agony, chewing through your eyes as I ignore your pleas for mercy and spreading your brains on the ground like butter! I am sane, well more or less

Old 2008-10-19, 09:32   Link #12
MuraKami
Phase Angle

Progressing large-scale war conflicts could be also found in:

The Vision of Escaflowne, Windaria - kingdoms vs. kingdoms;
The Glass Fleet, Samurai 7 - opposing empires, the establishment;
Heroic Age - a space opera with tribal dispute over the universe and beyond.

(I doubt The Violinist of HameIn would be much to your liking as animation, ... anyway it's a fantasy war, considerably gloomy and with interesting characters).
Old 2008-10-19, 22:38   Link #13
Shadow Kira01

Growlanser IV, but its only an ova based on the game series, so I guess this doesn't really count.

I also like epic war anime, but there aren't any as of lately. However, if you meant war as general mecha and spaceship battles, then there are plenty to choose from:

Code Geass
Gundam series
Macross series

There are other war anime, which I have never seen before, but..

Alexander Senki
Pumpkin Scissors
Record of the Lodoss War
Rurouni Kenshin
Utawarerumono
Old 2008-10-19, 22:59   Link #14
mg1942

Does this count?

Three aviation focused war stories of Axis participants.

http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi4102684953/
Old 2008-10-20, 11:41   Link #15
Thyrz
Laidback Luke

Berserk. Incredible anime.
Old 2008-10-29, 23:17   Link #16
MysticRose

Second Simoun.

You may have a look at Last Exile, Heroic Age, Code Geass as well.
Old 2008-10-30, 06:04   Link #17
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Last Exile
Code Geass
Fullmetal Alchemist
Old 2008-11-24, 07:11   Link #18
Navel

Gunbuster - centers mainly on one character, but involved in an epic space battle. Also, greatly interesting content beneath the surface.

Other than that, there's LoGH like others have said.
Closed Thread