AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Claymore

Notices

Old 2007-03-24, 14:53   Link #61
ZODDGUTS

Looks like are animated good enough so my worries of it ending up just like Tenjo Tenge (good art but stillshot action scenes) lessen.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-24, 17:13   Link #62
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

I am sucker for dark medieval/fantasy stories, so I'll probably be watching this, especially after having seen that promo video. And I am glad Madhouse is taking care of it, I do hope they'll reserve the same treatment they did for their recent series (Black Lagoon, Death Note), because this could turn out to be a true badass title.

P.S. I'd be really grateful if anyone could eventually find and share any scan (from the anime, rather than the manga) of this serie, if there was any scan available of course. (from magazines most likely)

Last edited by Shinndou; 2007-03-24 at 19:27.
Shinndou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-24, 22:10   Link #63
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonhex View Post
Footage from TAF on Youtube. Not the best quality video, but it gives us an idea of what Claymore looks like animated. With all the trailers and PVs floating around this one didn't leave much of an impact on me tbh, but that could be the crap quality of the video. It's not the best material to form an opinion but your mileage may vary...
While I'm in the same boat as Sonhex there in regards to getting my hopes up yet, I must say Clare looked superb ( ) even in this crappy quality footage. And not to mention the other scene where she slices that monster..... The quality of the video couldn't hide the high quality animation in that particular scene. April should be a fun month.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-24, 22:12   Link #64
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Saw the first chapter in a Shonen Jump and didn't really care much for Claire. Though now that I have a chance to see the whole series I'll see if she gets any less withdrawn since I don't like that brooding and withdrawn character archetype. From what I've read on Wikipedia it reminds me a lot of Hokuto No Ken, only with a woman.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-25, 01:07   Link #65
DangerMouse

Finally got to see that video, I think I'm really going to like this. I haven't read the manga and have only skimmed it, but I've read about the storyline and think it should make for a great show.

And I don't know if it's just me but as I said when those early screenshots were posted, I personally love the unique art style and character design style (and color selection) Madhouse has put together for this show! In all of the shots Claire (is that how she's spelled in the manga translation?) looks so awesome, definitely my kind of dark fantasy lead. I don't have a clue about "camera" work, but to me they are using some neat dynamic camera moves in those action shots and these character designs look great in the closeups especially on the faces, like the awesome closeup at the end of the video and the zoom in on the eyes as they change, that animation was really nicely done by them.

Madhouse is always great at this kind of show so I can't wait for this to start.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-25, 01:21   Link #66
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
...............I don't like that brooding and withdrawn character archetype.
So says an avid mecha-fan! Kaioshin is such a kidder.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-25, 01:24   Link #67
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
Nah, most mecha main characters are either cry-babies, emo teens or hot-blooded idiots.
7Th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-25, 01:44   Link #68
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
I think you may have got me there. I'm not sure what it was I didn't like, perhaps it was the lack of any real connection between the boy and Clare. Since discussion of the manga is likely forbidden in these types of threads I'm not going to discuss it. We'll wait till after episode one and the refresher it brings. The first impression it had on me was mediocore though compared to Gintama and Death Note which were also previewed once in Shonen Jump, that's why I approach the series with caution.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-25, 01:58   Link #69
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
I think you may have got me there. I'm not sure what it was I didn't like, perhaps it was the lack of any real connection between the boy and Clare. Since discussion of the manga is likely forbidden in these types of threads I'm not going to discuss it. We'll wait till after episode one and the refresher it brings. The first impression it had on me was mediocore though compared to Gintama and Death Note which were also previewed once in Shonen Jump, that's why I approach the series with caution.
I think I get what you're not liking about Claymore now, even though I think that Claymore does pick up it's pace more than what you previewed.

You're probably not enjoying the character interaction dynamics of Claymore. I'll be honest here, that is one part of Claymore I didn't think was very good as well. It improves later on, but I suppose the fact that most of the characters are 'monster-destroying half-monster females" does hinder that. It does limit the richness of the cast, for the sake of realism within the Claymore context.

Well, aside from the bad quality of the cam-trailer, (( and an even shitty audio )), I'd say that on the respect of the atmosphere, Madhouse had pretty much caught Claymore heads on. Like I previously worried about, one of Claymore's manga style is the broody, gray atmosphere of the manga in a strangely half-barren medieval world and the colours of the anime really reflects that strongly. Well, the part of the trailer with the long-haired Claymore does seem a bit contrasting with the rest of the more rich, moodly vibrant colours of the trailer, but it'll depend on the context of that. And looks like at least the animation will be good, with solid use of camera and effect-add ons.

Looks like it'll be another Madhouse adaption that enriches the manga experience even more.

C'mon, Madhouse, do Red Eyes next. :P

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-25, 04:02   Link #70
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
I think I get what you're not liking about Claymore now, even though I think that Claymore does pick up it's pace more than what you previewed.

You're probably not enjoying the character interaction dynamics of Claymore. I'll be honest here, that is one part of Claymore I didn't think was very good as well. It improves later on, but I suppose the fact that most of the characters are 'monster-destroying half-monster females" does hinder that. It does limit the richness of the cast, for the sake of realism within the Claymore context.
Nice, sounds pretty unique. Does that mean we'll actually get a rare case of getting to watch a strong moody character without a common romance-building arc masquerading as character development breaking up the plot and "real" character development, atleast for a while?

One thing I'm curious on, does most of the character development come from "real time" or "flash backs"? It's fine either way but it'd be cool if the character backgrounds add richness to the characters but doesn't contain all of the meat other than what sets up Claire's story and what she's like ofcourse.

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2007-03-25 at 04:29.
Old 2007-03-25, 05:02   Link #71
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
C'mon, Madhouse, do Red Eyes next. :P
It'd be so fcking awesome.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-25, 16:23   Link #72
masama
use the fōrks ~

Saw the footage and I'd have to say it looks amazing, quality animation with great light shadow contrasts from what I can tell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
One thing I'm curious on, does most of the character development come from "real time" or "flash backs"? It's fine either way but it'd be cool if the character backgrounds add richness to the characters but doesn't contain all of the meat other than what sets up Claire's story and what she's like ofcourse.
Clare and most other characters tend to have flashbacks, except Raki (that boy you see in video) I guess.

Anyone knows when is the exact release date? I know it's April but I can't seem to find the exact date. Sorry if it was mentioned before.
masama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-25, 16:55   Link #73
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by masama View Post
Saw the footage and I'd have to say it looks amazing, quality animation with great light shadow contrasts from what I can tell.
Clare and most other characters tend to have flashbacks, except Raki (that boy you see in video) I guess.

Anyone knows when is the exact release date? I know it's April but I can't seem to find the exact date. Sorry if it was mentioned before.
Ok I was just curious, flashbacks can certainly be awesome, as long as the current story is eventually just as good as what happened in the past.

ANN and the Japanese Claymore sites show it as starting April 3rd

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2007-03-25 at 20:14.
Old 2007-03-26, 14:04   Link #74
Dandruff
Flakey

I have April 3rd circled on my calender xD I'm enjoying the manga, on volume 3 right now and I like the look in the screenshots and the footage. Color really does enhance a picture.

So yes it's going to be awesome for a lack of a better word to see the story animated, 'be brought to life'..etc ^o^
Dandruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-27, 02:57   Link #75
Ioriya

Send a message via AIM to Ioriya
Anidb has it marked as 4/4/07, but the main Japanese site has as 4/3/07.

http://www.ntv.co.jp/claymore/

This series and Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha StrikerS is what im looking forward to in the next season of Anime
Ioriya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-27, 04:35   Link #76
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ioriya View Post
Anidb has it marked as 4/4/07, but the main Japanese site has as 4/3/07.
Not really a contradiction. It is scheduled for 25:26 on 4/3. That is how they list the schedule for really late night TV. It is shown as an after-midnight hour on the previous day. We call that 1:26 AM on 4/4.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-27, 07:41   Link #77
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I guess the make-or-break for me will be the quality of the swordfights and the animation of them. Real swordfighting is quite different from the silly stuff that infests a lot of braggart shonen shows. I've seen excellent animation of japanese-style swordwork in Tsukikage Ran.... so I'm curious to see what they're able to do here. The fantasy level is very high though so this item is on my "marginal but give it a chance" list.
Old 2007-03-27, 18:12   Link #78
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I guess the make-or-break for me will be the quality of the swordfights and the animation of them. Real swordfighting is quite different from the silly stuff that infests a lot of braggart shonen shows. I've seen excellent animation of japanese-style swordwork in Tsukikage Ran.... so I'm curious to see what they're able to do here. The fantasy level is very high though so this item is on my "marginal but give it a chance" list.

Form what i seen of the manga the sword fights are closer to the a chinese martial novel then real life sword fight.
Old 2007-03-27, 18:49   Link #79
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Another show that does it very good is Jubei-chan (and Jubei-chan 2), the sword fights are usually rather quick but man they are smooth as silk.

I do agree though the animation of the action is going to be key, I love the look of the anime but if they can't animate the fights better than a "200+ ep shonen show" it just won't keep that coherent feel that this show looks like it should get from the visual-style alone (since I don't know the storyline in detail). Fortunately the almost anime movie-style camera angles and animation enhancements (to me the speed-"line" enhanced clip in the trailer where she's charging the monster scene doesn't look like the usual cheap speed-lines but the more fitting kind and that there is an actual background during it as well) make me hopeful it will have nicely animated action like Madhouse is usually reliable for, but some trailers are misleading so I guess we'll find out when it airs, please be kind Madhouse, this show looks perfect for you
Old 2007-03-27, 20:01   Link #80
Drytchnath
Sexual Tyrannosaurus Rex

That little video snippet has alleviated a few of my fears surrounding the quality of the show in general. Hopefully it'll be consistent unlike shows like Blood+ were the 1st episode was absolutely beautiful but took a sharp dive in quality from ep.2 and just got progressively worse as the show dragged on.
Drytchnath is offline   Reply With Quote