AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-04-20, 09:29   Link #41
Spirit Chicken!

Send a message via AIM to Spirit Chicken!
What are ya talking about? MB is about to put out a high quality release for Tecknoman, Tekkaman Blade, Voltron, GoLion, Dairugger XV and who knows what else. GGG will only make them more money considering it is a modern classic...as well as the rumors that them getting this one may have netted them other...if not the rest...of the Brave Saga shows.

I've heard zip about anybody having School Rumble at this point...or any of Mediafactory's recent titles.

Be happy everyone!
Spirit Chicken! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-21, 22:56   Link #42
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatochobit
OH MY GOSH they need to DROP this title. they are already struggling financially i assume. they need to hurry and release school rumble to get back in the black.
I seriously hope you are joking. Considering the market is already saturated with Harem type anime Gaogaigar getting licensed is a breath of fresh air. Now I'm only who in the world could possibly do dub Gai and dub Taiga well.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-22, 10:58   Link #43
Tabiree
FUNimation's Gen Fukunaga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatochobit
OH MY GOSH they need to DROP this title. they are already struggling financially i assume. they need to hurry and release school rumble to get back in the black.
Please don't post here again

Edit: for more clarification, while I would be very happy if School Rumble was picked up for distribution, I'm certianly not going to take it over my once-in-a-blue-moon license for one of my most favourite ever series. School Rumble isn't exactly typical Harem (given that it isn't utter shit), but really, SR is definantly going to get a stateside release, we're just not sure of when. MB will do just fine.

N-Bomb: I'm thinking that Takara may have realised that American kids really don't go for Japanese-style giant robots and kind of gave up trying to dispute foreign licensing. If my speculation is true, then it's a lovely sign of a Japanese company rearing it's head into well.. the future and all of that shit.
Tabiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-22, 21:59   Link #44
N-Bomb
King of Braves
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabiree
N-Bomb: I'm thinking that Takara may have realised that American kids really don't go for Japanese-style giant robots and kind of gave up trying to dispute foreign licensing. If my speculation is true, then it's a lovely sign of a Japanese company rearing it's head into well.. the future and all of that shit.
Something else I was wondering was about the music. It's not Macross by any means, but there's quite a collection of tunes that would probably have to be dubbed or removed for an TV release. What will they do? Who knows... What I do know is that Mic is a big part of the middle section of the series and it would be hard to do without... hard to do well, as well.
N-Bomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-23, 05:14   Link #45
Tabiree
FUNimation's Gen Fukunaga

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-Bomb
Something else I was wondering was about the music. It's not Macross by any means, but there's quite a collection of tunes that would probably have to be dubbed or removed for an TV release. What will they do? Who knows... What I do know is that Mic is a big part of the middle section of the series and it would be hard to do without... hard to do well, as well.
Might as well of just left them in, the thing is, I think Takara realised no one would watch it on Toonami anyway. US DVD release will definantly leave them in.
Tabiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-20, 10:42   Link #46
Lnzy1

OK, is there anywhere you can buy the imported DVD of any of the Yuusha shows?

I just started getting into GaoGaiGar and have the DVD saved on my Netflix's account but none of the other have been liscenced and I'm really interested in watching them, no one's uploaded episode on Youtube, and I can't download the fabsubs because it would take a month (or more!!!) for it to download. I'm not in full understanding of how bitttorrents (sp?) work but my brother says if no one is uploading it, I can't download it...or something to that extent.

Taskete!!!!!
Lnzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-25, 17:01   Link #47
N-Bomb
King of Braves
*Fansubber

I'm thinking no. Although I think Exkaiser is out in R2? Someone else is bound to know.
N-Bomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-26, 14:15   Link #48
Lnzy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-Bomb View Post
I'm thinking no. Although I think Exkaiser is out in R2? Someone else is bound to know.
What's R2?
Old 2006-11-27, 19:27   Link #49
Tabris

I hadn't seen GGG in years, then I decided to download FINAL after reading up about Gundam SEED (and watching a video of Athrun's MS combining with a dubbed over FINAL FUSION soundtrack).

Anyway, I whipped out the old VCDs I had of GGG and God, it was good to watch. I missed how awesome it is.
Tabris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-28, 17:22   Link #50
Lnzy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabris View Post
I hadn't seen GGG in years, then I decided to download FINAL after reading up about Gundam SEED (and watching a video of Athrun's MS combining with a dubbed over FINAL FUSION soundtrack).

Anyway, I whipped out the old VCDs I had of GGG and God, it was good to watch. I missed how awesome it is.

Where did you download it? Do they have the serise?
Old 2006-11-29, 20:44   Link #51
Tabris

Ummm, you can still download FINAL, it hasn't been licensed yet, at least I don't think it has anyway. The original GGG series is somewhat harder to come by.
Tabris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-26, 15:39   Link #52
SpaceDrake
This Is Part Of The Plan

And oh god, potatochobit's curse may have come home to roost.

From AnimeOnDVD:

Quote:
Gaogaigar Hits Hiatus (11:01 AM EDT): Over the weekend, a post showed up at Toon Zone that indicated that NYAV Post was done with dub work on Gaogaigar. In contacting Media Blasters about it, we've learned that the series will be going on hiatus after the 06/05/2007 release of Gaogaigar Vol. #5 (of 10). Their Voltron project is simply taking up the bulk of their time and Gaogaigar is taking a back seat during it. Release dates for subsequent volumes will be coming at a later date but they did indicate that at this time the decision regarding the English language dub has not been determined.
So it isn't absolutely, totally cancelled, but it may be a long while before volume 6 is released. Just as the DVD releases would really start to hit the "sweet spot" of the series, too.

Of course, for sales I frankly believe they have no one to blame but themselves. I've barely seen any advertisement for GGG at all. They were smart enough to put the episodes 5 to a disc (so that you'd get though the worst of it fast enough), but still. When was this series advertised? Where did they try to make sure people knew it was available?

At least I still have the AiA releases. Cheers, guys.
SpaceDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-26, 15:53   Link #53
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceDrake View Post
And oh god, potatochobit's curse may have come home to roost.

From AnimeOnDVD:

So it isn't absolutely, totally cancelled, but it may be a long while before volume 6 is released. Just as the DVD releases would really start to hit the "sweet spot" of the series, too.

Of course, for sales I frankly believe they have no one to blame but themselves. I've barely seen any advertisement for GGG at all. They were smart enough to put the episodes 5 to a disc (so that you'd get though the worst of it fast enough), but still. When was this series advertised? Where did they try to make sure people knew it was available?

At least I still have the AiA releases. Cheers, guys.
I'd also like to not that Voltron (or Golion rather) is the most generic and uninteresting Super Robot Series I have ever beared witness too. Boring characters, Boring attacks, the most generically unreedeemably evil villains (so typical of Toei) to ever grace a mecha series. And this is what GaoGaiGar get's put on hiatus for. Sigh.......
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-26, 16:59   Link #54
SpaceDrake
This Is Part Of The Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
I'd also like to not that Voltron (or Golion rather) is the most generic and uninteresting Super Robot Series I have ever beared witness too. Boring characters, Boring attacks, the most generically unreedeemably evil villains (so typical of Toei) to ever grace a mecha series. And this is what GaoGaiGar get's put on hiatus for. Sigh.......
Yeah, I've never understood how Voltron sells as well as it does (and I know it's selling, Walmart struggles to say in stock of the newest box set whenever it comes out), but it's making Media Blasters an obscene amount of money.

I do hope they put trailers for GGG in the boxes for Voltron, though. THAT would be advertisement.
SpaceDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-27, 01:38   Link #55
Conan-san
Cruel Angel's Thesis

Naw, I'm done with Media Blasters, It's bad enough I need to import the stuff but I'm not going to do it if there's not an insentive to go beyond the subtitles.

I'm sorry, because they favour Voltron like some drooling vegtitable that's only geting sails because people remember said vegitiable as some hansome man (who in realty was still a vegtable) then I think I can put favor of not paying import costs to support such a nonsnece.

In short, gg MediaBlasters g'effing'g.
Conan-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-24, 13:10   Link #56
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Wow... I was hoping the GaoGaiGar thread would be longer than... 3 pages? And most of the posts are not even discussing the series' content. Watching this show was long overdue on my list, and with my recent PC upgrading ("Mmm... bread and water, we meet again."), I finally got the final incentive to catch what seemed to be an iconic series to many anime fans.

I am liking what I have seen so far.

Watching GaoGaiGar made me remember what I liked about anime in the past. The colour of blood being red, the Hero not being invincible, the concept of teamwork, mechas that are actually destroyable, etc...

There were of course... some minus points, like the inexplicable Jesus-like resurrections. Volfogg was the biggest culprit here, and I really felt cheated when he just... appeared out of the blue.

Strangely, in what should have been a minus point, GaoGaiGar managed to avoid making me skip the stock footages of their set-ups/transformations because they actually bothered to make little changes here and there so that while the individual frames were the same, the actual sequences was different. In a twist, sometimes the SEQUENCE was the same, but the FRAMES were not. Examples include the episode when 3G had to deploy during lunch and Taiga brandished a shrimp while approving Final Fusion, or the episode where GaoGaiGar fought a simulated battle against ChoRyuuJin and Nena sighed before she banged the Danger-button, or when Swan was the one who banged the button instead because Nena was knocked out.

Speaking of which, those girls must have fists of steel...

Other pluses include that Guy is not your typical moronic Shounen-hero when it comes to romantic matters. Even Mamoru is leagues ahead of most male-leads when it comes to romance. When it dawned upon me that these guys actually got a clue, my heart blazed with a burning passion of gratefulness because Aiur knows such mercies are pitifully rare in anime.

Some quick thoughts on the mechas so far...

GaoGaiGar: When in doubt, scream louder and try again.
ChoRyuuJin: Steady support.
Volfogg: Mary-sue showboating mecha.
Pliers: Forgettable.
Goldymarg: Might is right.
King J-Der: I AM~ the KING!

Oh... and on a final note, why do the evil ladies always have to be so hot?

Cheers.
Old 2008-04-14, 15:41   Link #57
Shiryuu
Magical Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
Wow... I was hoping the GaoGaiGar thread would be longer than... 3 pages? And most of the posts are not even discussing the series' content.
From what I can remember, AS got haxed and lost a lot of forum posts.

Anyways, watched Final yet?
Shiryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-14, 21:11   Link #58
Skane
Anime Snark

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiryuu View Post
From what I can remember, AS got haxed and lost a lot of forum posts.

Anyways, watched Final yet?
Yeah, and I suffered a case of wanting to scream stuff in 3 syllables for a week or so.

Cheers.
Old 2008-04-16, 14:02   Link #59
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
Wow... I was hoping the GaoGaiGar thread would be longer than... 3 pages? And most of the posts are not even discussing the series' content. Watching this show was long overdue on my list, and with my recent PC upgrading ("Mmm... bread and water, we meet again."), I finally got the final incentive to catch what seemed to be an iconic series to many anime fans.
Spoiler for saving space:
You think this is bad you should look a Final's thread, only three post. GaoGaiGar is reall amazing anime and my favorite anime of all time, I hope that it would get lot more fan when the DVD came out. Though I gotta ask the scene that you mention about Volfogg, was it after fight between Volfogg and Pinchernone? And rather then those girls having fist of steel I was thinking how glasses many do they get through ?
Old 2008-04-16, 15:18   Link #60
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
You think this is bad you should look a Final's thread, only three post. GaoGaiGar is reall amazing anime and my favorite anime of all time, I hope that it would get lot more fan when the DVD came out. Though I gotta ask the scene that you mention about Volfogg, was it after fight between Volfogg and Pinchernone? And rather then those girls having fist of steel I was thinking how glasses many do they get through ?
I believe that was the biggest head-banger, but really; even the characters themselves acknowledge the "Jesus-like" resurrections of Volfogg. When ChoRyuuJin "dies", they scream and wail. When Volfogg "dies", they just shrug their shoulders and mutter something about him always coming back or similar.

Seriously, it's moments/scenes like these that give Sunrise a bad rap about their characters having multiple lives.

Natch.

Tags
action, mecha, super robot