AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-10-05, 16:14   Link #81
HandofFate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuga View Post
What I didn't like was the excessive fanservice, I found it hindering serious moments, like when before she was about to fight the dragon, the talk with her mother, and the rape. Speaking of that, the rape wasn't necessary at all IMO. At the very least, they didn't need to show her wiggling her butt like that, playing the whole thing for titillation, I found that rather distasteful. Then afterwards, before they showed Ange, we're shown a bunch of the other characters shacked up and showing off more flesh which also ruined the moment for me.

It's almost like the creators didn't have enough faith in their all-female cast, so they decided to crank up the fanservice. Just not needed IMO. Which is a shame 'cause you'd think they wouldn't be able to screw up something as awesome as women/girls piloting mechas, shooting down dragons in a fantasy setting, but so far, I'm not sure this show'll make full use of its setting and premise and instead, rely on random shock value and fanservice.

lol @ the scene everyone was talking about.
I don't mind the nudity or 'fanservice' and while shocking, the physical scene did serve a purpose.
I think the panning of the lightly clothed characters at the ending credits is important too, almost like prostitutes, and actually helps to establish the kind of world normas have to live in with their status as 'livestock'
Old 2014-10-05, 16:17   Link #82
shadow1296

maybe he will die just as quickly
Old 2014-10-05, 16:22   Link #83
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Ep 01

Well, to be honest I feel there is an interesting setting and general story outline here, however it felt way too melodramatic (in a bad way), affected and overwrought - the dialogue and interactions were actually painful to watch. And that was before the torture scene at the last part of the ep, too, which I also could have done without.

And for the record, please - lets hear no more comments of people "deserving" to be raped or tortured or the like. It is disgusting to hear.

I will give this one more ep, but right now things are not looking to good for me. But then again, mecha is always a hard sell for me.
Old 2014-10-05, 16:40   Link #84
Darthtabby

I can deal with sex or violence to a degree, but the two together can make me uncomfortable rather quickly. Let's not deceive ourselves here -the ending of this episode was clearly intended to titillate. It was highly exploitative and that didn't sit very well with me.

The ending may also have been intended for shock value. In a sense it was probably effective in drawing attention to the series, but it also overshadowed earlier parts of the episode that were probably worth discussing. While I found it ridiculous and over the top at times, the early parts of this episode left a much better impression than I expected -I was actually taking the show kind of seriously.
Darthtabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-05, 17:05   Link #85
IceHism

Umm. Its like people here haven't seen any exploitation films in their lives. This was extremely mild from my POV.
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-05, 17:07   Link #86
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

No, it's like the people here don't like exploitation films.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-05, 17:19   Link #87
DevilHighDxD
Zero Two Best waifu 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamazura View Post
quoted post deleted
U must not be scared of mods don't you?

Last edited by Flower; 2014-10-05 at 17:46.
DevilHighDxD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-05, 17:22   Link #88
HandofFate

I disagree with the notion that just because a scene has some skin in it, its just 100% fanservice, and has no purpose or narrative point to it.

A few said the scene is there as fanservice and to make people get aroused, but everyone's on the contary, says its a shocking and overly rough treatment of the MC, which its suppose to be because she, who used to be royalty just got demoted to livestock.
Old 2014-10-05, 17:29   Link #89
Arya

mmm, definitely the rape scene was unnecessary or at least it would have been better leave it to the imagination instead of animating the full scene.
As usual I came in basically with no prior knowledge of it, so the first part, just after the fight, felt like crap with all those princess antics. It didn't help that the whole mech vs dragons is not something I'm fond of, I don't like mixed genres. But the first thought I had was, well, only because this show has a female lead doesn't automatically imply that she had to use some tight and over revealing suit, does it? But clearly the show is full of fan service. Not that I mind usually, but it takes out all the seriousness the show could have had. Then the Norma baby scene that was really something I could have done without it. Use some kid as usual. And then that. I also don't like the mecha designs nor the bike piloting concept. But I like Ange and the way she became, so I'm looking forward to it and, well, the lol. Hopefully they will not indulge again with humiliating scenes, even if the next episode PV seems to imply that Ange will receive some prison treatment there.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-05, 17:30   Link #90
KleenexGhost
Riding the Ange Express

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
I disagree with the notion that just because a scene has some skin in it, its just 100% fanservice, and has no purpose or narrative point to it.

A few said the scene is there as fanservice and to make people get aroused, but everyone's on the contary, says its a shocking and overly rough treatment of the MC, which its suppose to be because she, who used to be royalty just got demoted to livestock.
It also establishes Jill's role and personality as the Drill Sargent from Hell.
Old 2014-10-05, 17:32   Link #91
bakato

Now that I know what a prick this girl was, I can't say I feel sorry for her.
bakato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-05, 17:35   Link #92
HandofFate

Character wise.
Other than the mother, EVERYONE is a jerk. MC included lol.
Old 2014-10-05, 17:36   Link #93
Tenzen12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakato View Post
what are you talking about? She was always nice and even went all the way help poor misguided mother who weren't able accept truth on her own...

She did it with good intent. I think that can be considered to be metter of fact.
Old 2014-10-05, 17:38   Link #94
Darthtabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post

It might have served a narrative purpose by dehumanizing the protagonist, but there were less exploitative ways that could have been done. That scene was blatantly designed to titillate. Let's not deceive ourselves about that.
Darthtabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-05, 17:43   Link #95
KleenexGhost
Riding the Ange Express

Well, we don't know what type of person Ange's dad is yet. As for the little sister, she seems sweet, but she's more than likely been raised to have the same outlook as Ange. Product of the world they live in.
Old 2014-10-05, 17:44   Link #96
HandofFate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtabby View Post
It might have served a narrative purpose by dehumanizing the protagonist, but there were less exploitative ways that could have been done. That scene was blatantly designed to titillate. Let's not deceive ourselves about that.
Disagree, it was designed for the narrative purpose, and it did its job. And it was not so some people can get their rocks off.
Old 2014-10-05, 17:46   Link #97
Ryuga

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHism View Post
Umm. Its like people here haven't seen any exploitation films in their lives. This was extremely mild from my POV.
I've actually seen and read far, far, far worse but I still don't think the scene was necessary and I don't particularly appreciate it. While the scene (and events leading up to it) served as an ironic way to bring Ange down, I think it could've been done better.

Anyway, aside from that, Norma breaking Mana is most definitely an issue within their society (though obviously, that doesn't excuse discrimination). I wonder if the enemies they fight are magical in a similar way. Even if they're not, I guess Norma are cheap fighting resources anyway.
Ryuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-05, 17:48   Link #98
IceHism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtabby View Post
I'm surprised if anyone could actually fap to that scene. The whole thing went past me and I really only cared that Ange was being brought down from her status. It wasn't titilating at all for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuga View Post
I've actually seen and read far, far, far worse but I still don't think the scene was necessary and I don't particularly appreciate it. While the scene (and events leading up to it) served as an ironic way to bring Ange down, I think it could've been done better.

Anyway, aside from that, Norma breaking Mana is most definitely an issue within their society (though obviously, that doesn't excuse discrimination). I wonder if the enemies they fight are magical in a similar way. Even if they're not, I guess Norma are cheap fighting resources anyway.
There's always parts where we can say "they could have done this better" but there isn't anything wrong in how it was used here.
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-05, 17:51   Link #99
Tenzen12

Agree with this, on that scene was pretty much nothing sexualy excitable.
Old 2014-10-05, 17:52   Link #100
Irenesharda

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakato View Post
It's really her parents fault. They knew what she was and are the darn rulers of the land, and yet they still allowed this persecution of Norma to go on and for people to still see Norma that way, even though they especially knew that Norma weren't any kind of monsters seeing as they had watched their daughter grow for 16 years. The only reason she even has that outlook is because of how she's been taught and what rhetoric her parents taught her and allowed to be taught to their children. Ange was a sheltered teen, her outlook is a reflection on her parents.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fanservice, mecha, ps vita, romance