AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Infinite Stratos

Notices

Old 2014-07-25, 11:15   Link #54141
Eratas123

Doesn't matter most of the time: If the author REALLY likes their story then chances are they're writing it for their own benefit and just sharing to see if anyone else likes it.
Old 2014-07-25, 11:25   Link #54142
coco6561

Yeah I'm writing the story for my benefit just as you said. Still I want to improve it so others can enjoy it.
coco6561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-25, 11:27   Link #54143
Eratas123

Good luck to you then. I'm not really writing for views since at least one fandom I'm writing for isn't that popular with regards to fanfiction.
Old 2014-07-25, 11:38   Link #54144
coco6561

What's it called? I'll read it if you want.
coco6561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-25, 11:59   Link #54145
Eratas123

Nah, its alright
Old 2014-07-25, 19:14   Link #54146
bitmeister
Expert Procrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eratas123 View Post
Nah, its alright
Begin the search, my brethren!
bitmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-26, 09:54   Link #54147
Eratas123

Writing the Ichika/Kanzashi/Tatenashi romance comedy is hard:/
Old 2014-07-27, 21:42   Link #54148
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by demino_hellsin View Post
Sometimes it's not even that. They are actually painting their characters as highly helpful, cryptic and excessively overanalytic of EVERYTHING!

At the start it's cool, but eventually it gets old. They seem to be overprepared for everything. Mentally, logistically in gear, skills on combat. EVERYTHING! and they still come out barely scraping by.

Seriously, I stopped reading that campione x FSN fic when the writer had Shirou handing out Noble Phantasms like post dinner candy. Which is actually accurate to what was done.
Interesting thoughts. Sure it sounds cool, but even this can get overused.

Already I'm going back over my work to see, and it can be that I am guilty of this. I know I keep playing up Karon's debut 14 golem kill on her first Vandam flight, giving her instant Ace status (DART follows the tradition of 5 kills in a flight grants a pilot the title of Ace), armed with an upgunned SAR-21 rifle, a combat knife and her fists. Comparatively, Gin scores 8 in the same battle, while Rise gets 7. Both spent less time fighting golems however and Karon's the one being zerged in that fight. However, those golems are much weaker and primitive compared to Tabane's, and so have less defensive and offensive power protecting the primitive AI. They are produced in much larger numbers since they have particle compressors rather than IS cores, exact details being spoilers. Is this appropriate for little girls who have effectively been trained to be crack troops armed with godlike machines, or am I reaching? I dont know. They don't have the experience that Char or Celeste has so they do get boxed in when the Kingdom's human pilots step in; this is where Maximillan fills the gap.

There is also that positivity and the power of cutie rock which Karon wields. She's the future center of SHOOTiNG ST@R, she's an idolized aspect of a person (again a side effect of that brain structure), is she permitted to be that way? Likewise, Gin and Rise are both with hypercharged traits, which was why they were reasonably successful idols in the first place.

Yes I'm hinting that to be an Idol you have to be somewhat whacko, mostly because of the underlying genetics, the experiences, and having your brain suddenly expanded by the IS core.

Also, the Invent System comes up with solutions to threats to the pilot, allowing evolution by equalizer. It opens up a technological oneup race through the story. Does it make things too prepared?

Maximillan is good at anticipating his opponent and moving his Idols to counteract. I find that fun when there's some thinking involved in a battle, seeing how each one reacts to the other. I need to find balance here still since it can go either way.

Tabane is the only one I actually threw everything to the wind and made her Decade, Crowley and Schenberg combined with a sis complex backed up by her own VEDA. And a tiny group of pilots that can break all the rules (not the ST@Rs, something crazier). A capricious demigod of the modern world. Reaching? Well, I think Tabane needs to deserve that reputation.
Old 2014-07-27, 21:53   Link #54149
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Why overpower female is usually be more tolerated than male?
Fireminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-27, 21:59   Link #54150
demino_hellsin
That one guy

As long as you don't go around handing out your invent system to every allied force that's not directly under command of the organization that owns your invent system without extremely dire circumstances then I think you aren't that bad.

Seriously. Handing out Gae Buidhe by the dozen as a token of goodwill. Sure you could depower it but let's just say you start handing out nukes to countries you want to make good with while having a fucking kill switch in your hand. Some might think that's badass I think that's just a douchy idiotic move.
demino_hellsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-27, 21:59   Link #54151
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireminer View Post
Why overpower female is usually be more tolerated than male?
Because this is IS. I'd do the appropriate gender in another universe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by demino_hellsin View Post
As long as you don't go around handing out your invent system to every allied force that's not directly under command of the organization that owns your invent system without extremely dire circumstances then I think you aren't that bad.

Seriously. Handing out Gae Buidhe by the dozen as a token of goodwill. Sure you could depower it but let's just say you start handing out nukes to countries you want to make good with while having a fucking kill switch in your hand. Some might think that's badass I think that's just a douchy idiotic move.
Hell no, the Invent System can't replicate itself. However, its equalizers are studied and eventually adapted for massproduction. The source code uses Vandam OS, so only the other 50 odd RVMs in ASEAN are given them and can use them. Given the ASEAN history with superweapons in the wrong hands, those aren't being sold soon.

Dunois Industries have a vested interest in the project, and so Francais Naionale and DI are working for versions that can be used on Rafales. Those can be sold and distributed, but they are still quite some time away. The Dunois arc of my remake also pushes the reset button of sorts given the damage to the factory. (Its all new original content replacing pantsugate. I hope it turns out good.)

Last edited by MeisterBabylon; 2014-07-27 at 22:12.
MeisterBabylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-27, 22:25   Link #54152
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Anime: The world of fake romance

How many even watch IS or read our fics for romance?
Old 2014-07-27, 22:43   Link #54153
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireminer View Post
Anime: The world of fake romance

How many even watch IS or read our fics for romance?
Bloody hell, somebody else came to the same conclusions as I have and made an article out of it! Especially about emotional development, there will be lots. The girls having personalities? Yes! The girls each having bonds amongst themselves, and growing over time? Yes! Do they not just fall in love at the flip of a switch? Yes! Are they not bloody yanderes? Oh god fucking YES YES YES!

This was EXACTLY what I mean that OreImo had lessons for us writers, that how its possible to love an show for the romance even though your favorite girl didnt win. Still, very good read and I added a few more notes to my production file.

Ppl OTOH watch IS because their goddess is doing a character. But even that doesnt go very far if the author decides to run it into the ground.

Romance is a subplot in my work always. Not so much in Vandam I given how short it is compared to The Infinite Stratos, plus the cast was not designed to do that. The original work had Irish and Karon as an item but we're looking at 3 years of plot and lots and lots stuff planned before that bonfire confession and 80 year timeskip.

I blame my slow pace for not enough romance.
Old 2014-07-27, 22:51   Link #54154
demino_hellsin
That one guy

There was a most odd romance fanfiction I once read. It used the most cliched romance trope ever: "You never know what you've had till it's gone." or has to go. Anyway, it was used to great effect because the pair were neither bickering nor were they throwing themselves in each other. Both just did as they had to, one brought a sense of normalcy, of love without smothering to another. The other offered support and someone always dependable when it counted. I'm probably simplifying it. It was quite badly written with grammar and spelling issues but the way things progressed was... wonderful, and the choice of words gave this serene calm that gave a sense that everything was pretty gloomy between them yet at the same time they were starting to appreciate what one brought to the other. It was kind of simple and complicated with both hating each other and loving each other yet forced to stay together.
demino_hellsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-27, 23:06   Link #54155
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

To me, how did people fall in love at the first place is more important than how everything went from there. Anime, unlike literature, uses situations to set everything up - you can't expect the same level of clarity, except when you willingly to invest in symbolism scenes.

... Still haven't figure it out how to make Ichika and Chloe fall in love. The first impression is a bit of this and a bit of that, but from there, there are nothing much. People don't fall in love easily when they're in war.
Old 2014-07-28, 02:36   Link #54156
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

And we now interrupt this program with an interesting find while I was researching mechanics for my fic:

The rifle based front and center of the RVM-79s and the DART troops in general. Because of its size, an RVM-79 is equipped with the SAR-21 stowed within a small buckler on the left arm. A 2nd SAR-21 at the pilot's discretion is often strapped to the right leg pylon. Spare magazines are stored in the "fanny pack" located below the waist.

The gun is powerful enough, as are most 5.56mm weapons are, to stress and defeat first generation IS shielding with concentrated fire. But that really isn't the purpose of the gun developed in the 21st century but before the dawn of IS.

It is yet small enough to be carried by footmen of DART and is the standard primary weapon of ASEAN ground troops. What's even lesser known (outside of the region) are that National Cadet Corp club members of any specialization especially the Ground and Stratos wings are trained to assemble, disassemble, maintain and fire this weapon.

That's right, this weapon is compact and light enough to be fired by children. This is true even for the real rifle; I've seen boys from my alma mater doing courses on Immediate Drills for this weapon. Amazing stuff. And yet scary because here be a first world country legally training their kids to fight.

As in real life, the ASEAN administration allows for semi-regimentation in the education system as there is a spillover effect on discipline and strength of person. Furthermore, this training prepare boys for when they are conscripted into the army for 2 years when they turn 18.

That was the inspiration for the Stratos wing of the NCC school club, and all the little issues attached to it. You can catch a brief glimpse the weapon in action as part of the IS piloting exams, girls from all schools have to complete an 12 station obstacle course while having that weapon (unloaded) strapped to their backs in 16 minutes (adults are expected to clear it in 5.5 minutes). At the end, they load up and fire 4 rounds down a range to a target 300m away. Once that is completed do they then load the rifle into the RVM-79 and suit-up within 30 seconds. This begins the IS pilot testing section of the exam.

Below includes another weapon of the RVM-79, the Ultimax 100 Mk. 8:

This squad automatic weapon is the primary assault rifle used by RVM-79s prior to the invention and creation of the hyperkinetic rifle by the Invent System.

As a side-note, I was even surprised to see Rise's PCW 9.91 submachinegun that she can single or dual-wields with the Tenmoku Uchigane package in that video.
Old 2014-07-28, 03:23   Link #54157
Eratas123

Watching harem shows for romance period is going to end with you disappointed since 9/10 times the protags are dense douches with no self-preservation instincts or tact surrounded by females cookie cutter thin taken out of a book of cliches. Not many watch IS for the romance, but rather the fanservice or the world itself.
Old 2014-07-28, 03:36   Link #54158
Chevalier
Rhein-kun
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eratas123 View Post
Watching harem shows for romance period is going to end with you disappointed since 9/10 times the protags are dense douches with no self-preservation instincts or tact surrounded by females cookie cutter thin taken out of a book of cliches. Not many watch IS for the romance, but rather the fanservice or the world itself.
Not all harem shows are like that.
Chevalier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-28, 04:34   Link #54159
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Babylon, you might want to read this first: http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...review-sar-21/

And this: http://anarchangel.blogspot.com/2005...-idea.html?m=1

Unless you apply IS-grade technology, Bullpup is always less reliable than common gun.

Beside, does the SAR-21 could fire depleted uranium? That would be the first thing people come up with to fight with IS.

Finally, remove Vietnam from your ASEAN. There is no way we'd approve child soldier. We have already suffered that.
Old 2014-07-28, 05:06   Link #54160
Eratas123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevalier View Post
Not all harem shows are like that.
Right give me a good one that isn't named Negima or a deconstruction like School Days. Some can get away with this like Rokujouma for being balls of the wall funny but IS is so generic with no twists that it feels boring.

Tags
fanfic ideas, fanfiction, ff.net, harem, is fanfic, warning fanfic spoilers, wincest