AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Ah! My Goddess

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-05-08, 14:56   Link #21
Shabazza
transcendental

Let's found the "Ih! My Goddess" fraction.
Old 2006-05-11, 01:36   Link #22
jtrog

I was looking for the manga books this week for amg serie'es. Basically its all at wikipedia and according to wikipedia it started 1st manga book in 1988.
Old 2006-05-11, 11:53   Link #23
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitou_strife
Well from what i understand Aa! was for the japanesse title Ah! was for the american title and they used Oh! for the english title at least thats what i heard.
PS: I also think Ah! Sounds more elegant than Oh!
Yeah, maybe. But I think in the AnimEigo version it was meant to be more of a pun.

I always thought it kinda sounded like a sigh. Ahhhhh... my goddess. Like that.

BTW nice sig and avatar.
Old 2006-05-22, 12:57   Link #24
Keiichi Morisato
Belldandy's Betrothed

From what I heard from Toren Smith who was translating the manga series for Dark Horse said that when he first got the license that Fujishima was in agreement with the idea and didn't matter anyway because it was closer to the title that he wanted for the series anyway.

When the OVA series came out and anime fans worldwide came to refer to the series as Ah! My Goddess Fujishima had said that he wished that Dark Horse had used Ah! My Goddess instead. Dark Horse Comics (United States) and Germany and possibly France are the only ones who publish the series as Oh My Goddess.

These days, the anime series is entitled as Ah! My Goddess, closer to the original title of the series that's released in Japan.
Old 2006-06-11, 01:52   Link #25
waterchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabazza
Let's found the "Ih! My Goddess" fraction.
LMAO, I just HAVE to support this! Let's bring back the flame wars.

I agree with the person who pointed out the significance of "Ah!" in the names of the episodes. They would sound pretty weird with "Oh!" instead of "Ah!". "Oh!" seems to have more dramatic connotations, while "Ah!" sounds more lighthearted.
Old 2006-06-11, 03:11   Link #26
Orchunter226
Is rather bored...

Yea, that's true. I like the Ah! cuz it sounds happy, and kind of like "ah i found something" or "ah that's nice." "Oh" just sounds more solemn and less happy.

For instance, if you say "Oh that's nice" it sounds more sarcastic and mean than if you say "ah that's nice."
Old 2006-09-14, 01:18   Link #27
xtrashock
Banned

In my thinking it does not metter to say what about the series to say
Oh! My Godess or Ah! My godess .
So lets say anyone in one's own mind .
The thing which has a interest is the devotion to the series .
Old 2009-03-07, 23:14   Link #28
teh_nubkilr
*IT Support

Aa! Megami-Sama! is the original Japanese title, as mentioned above, but I've seen both Ah! My Goddess and Oh! My Goddess. To english-speakers, Oh! My Goddess will likely sound more familiar, but I am very much used to Ah! My Goddess as the title (mainly because it is the search term that yields episode streaming and it sounds sightly more elegant). However, one is free to call it by the title one chooses
Old 2009-03-10, 10:11   Link #29
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Actually, now that's I've seen both Oh! My Goddess and Ah! My Goddess, I believe Oh! My Goddess is actually the OVA series, if I'm not mistaken. It's just not called an OVA.
Old 2009-03-12, 05:37   Link #30
Justin Kim
*Artist

The difference is pretty much - "Oh My Goddess" 5 OVA releases, and this is probably what Japan calls it. The first few volumes of the manga series are called "Oh My Goddess." After it was liscensed, and adapted in America it was probably "Ah My Goddess." The artwork in the manga afterwards changes alot during the title changes for both the anime and manga serialization.
Old 2009-04-09, 04:32   Link #31
KimmyChan

From what I can tell, Ah! My Goddess is the name of the anime series and Oh My Goddess is the name of both the OVA and manga series
Old 2009-04-09, 10:47   Link #32
Kleo Scanti
Urd Fangirl

Actually, the name is "Aa! Megami-sama!" for the manga and all of its anime adaptation. When initially Dark Horse bought the license and started translating it, they named it "Oh! My Goddess!" because it's similar to the Western "Oh! My God!" Those who translated the first OVA adopted this name as well. But later Japanese publishers gave their version of the title, and it was "Ah! My Goddess!" which became official. So "Ah! My Goddess!" is the real name given by the original author while "Oh! My Goddess!" was invented by Americans. Now, having the officially translated name, Western translators stick to it.

(Hope my explanation is easy to understand.)
Old 2009-04-10, 19:38   Link #33
youdiezst

Send a message via ICQ to youdiezst Send a message via Yahoo to youdiezst
its Ah! instead of Oh! lol... doesnt really matter though, its still a nice anime

Last edited by Solace; 2009-04-19 at 21:24. Reason: Do not post links to licensed content.
Old 2009-04-30, 17:42   Link #34
PiccoloUE

Location: 1/3 down the road to life 2/3 twords the grave, where the meet who knows.
I like em both

I do to the english language... What Chuck Norris does to your face. Creates it and then destorys it!
Old 2009-04-30, 21:15   Link #35
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

I think it's funny how Marller is in the OP for Oh! My Goddess, but you never actually see her like you do in Ah! My Goddess. Ever. She and the other demons are in the OP and that's it.
Old 2009-05-17, 18:47   Link #36
Justin Kim
*Artist

Just blame Fujishima and Dark Horse for debating the manga/anime adaptation's name in NA.
Old 2009-11-08, 09:45   Link #37
PierceCheng

Send a message via ICQ to PierceCheng Send a message via AIM to PierceCheng Send a message via MSN to PierceCheng Send a message via Yahoo to PierceCheng
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudnine View Post
The series' title wasn't originally phrased to resemble the common saying "oh my god!", rather, it was on part of the manga adaptation to English which slightly changed the original naming to something more catchier to the reader.

Original title - ああっ女神さまっ
Romanized - Aa! Megami-sama!
True name - Ah! My Goddess
Actually, "ああっ女神さまっ" it means "Ah! Goddess Excellency(女神大人)".
Old 2010-07-27, 11:55   Link #38
Fremere

I'm glad I finally understood the difference, it was always racking my brain just a little bit when I wondered to myself as to why both of the series has the interchangeable "Oh/Ah".
Old 2010-09-09, 20:16   Link #39
teh_nubkilr
*IT Support

"Oh" just sounds more natural in North American English, although the direct translation would have been undoubtedly cumbersome.
Old 2011-11-13, 15:11   Link #40
Transitions
by John Digweed House Mix

Send a message via MSN to Transitions
ok in the extinc Locomotion Channel, the promotional saw: Oh!! my Goddess, at this time transmitted in E.U, and used the english as they.

i think Oh! my goodess it's fine, also in the E.U changes the types, names, words and pronunciation in the animes.