AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: Suzumiya Haruhi (2009) - Episode 14 Rating
Perfect 10 104 53.61%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 55 28.35%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 17 8.76%
7 out of 10 : Good 9 4.64%
6 out of 10 : Average 5 2.58%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 2 1.03%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 1.03%
Voters: 194. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-09-12, 19:12   Link #301
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charred Knight View Post

Here's the thing as you mentioned Kyoto Animation is known for the anime quality and execution not for their dedication to art. Does anyone seriously think K-On is anything more than cute girls in a band? Does anyone seriously think their work adapting Key visual novel games is art? Has Kyoto Animation made anything like Turn A Gundam or Paranoia Agent? Not to my knowledge.

So why Endless eight?

Because they thought they could get away with it. Why adapt all the available Haruhi material when you can drag everything out?
Bingo. I totally agree.

Quote:

Did they get away with it? Sales for Haruhi are down, but the true test will be the Endless eight DVDs.
Sales for Haruhi are down? You mean... merchandise sales?

Hhmmm... It would be interesting to go over some links dealing with specific figures here. Do you have any, per chance?
Old 2009-09-12, 19:25   Link #302
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
And of course all of this hinges on whether you believe Kyoani has artistic intentions that trump the goal of maximizing profit (which I find hard to impossible to believe since the majority of their shows either strike me as purely marketing oriented [K-On, Lucky Star, Haruhi] or demand oriented [Munto, Kanon, Clannad])......at which point we should be pulling around this lap and back to the finish line right about............now....and will it be going another lap, who is to know, but I think my race is probably over until the E8 DVD's come out at which point I'll have something new to go on.
Interesting that you omitted Full Metal Panic from your list. Or are you still insisting that KyoAni didn't actually MAKE TSR, like you once told me?

And Munto? Demand oriented? Seriously, what demand?
And Clannad and Kanon were made by them because they are the only studio on the planet who can make a decent story out of a dating simulation.
Old 2009-09-12, 19:35   Link #303
worldruined
power tends to corrupt

Send a message via AIM to worldruined
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I mainly meant in the scene where he goes to visit Kyon at his home.
Yeah, that one's nice, but we've already seen it (or something very like it -- black shirt, light purple/gray jacket with rolled-up sleeves, no idea if he was wearing khakis, since he's seated the entire time, but it's highly probable) during Endless Eight (loop 15,521, the ending café scene). So EE showed us that Koizumi has fashion sense, not Sighs. We just finally got to see a full-length shot of it this time 'round.
Old 2009-09-12, 19:51   Link #304
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
The series is usually at its best when it offers insight on its plot and its characters, when it isn't just consisting of characters acting like their designated descriptions. Considering that, this episode is by far the best of this season, and possibly of both seasons. The last half of sigh actually stirred actual thought, instead of just "whoa this is funny!" or "whoa this is cute!" I can finally say that there are things I got from here that I will remember and I got something out of this series. I mainly liked it because it expressed many of my own thoughts towards the "truth" in this plot.

We first start out with the shock of the talking cat, which shows that Haruhi's editing of the world is starting to get more and more out of hand. I always found the cat in Episode 00 to be funny, especially with that wtf voice. The silly philosophical debate with the sarcastic cat cracked me up. It's probably one of the few times during this season where I actually did lol, instead of just chuckle.

So there's some more discussion on Haruhi, and that basically to solve the issues, they can't just accept the plot holes, but find a way to deal with them. If everything can be explained away, then that can solve the problem. Sounds like another series I'm watching. I found this part amusing as well as the worry that Haruhi's fictional world will become reality. Ah, now this is what I can see as breaking the fourth wall.

Meanwhile, it's revealed through the discussion with the other two that not everyone is completely truthful. As Yuki said, there's no way to tell if anything they say is true-- she even says that to Kyon, not even what she says may be true too. This makes me wonder a little more about Yuki's feelings towards Kyon; she might just have grown to be much more than a vessel for the Data Integrated Entity.

Mikuru's attempt to tell Kyon what she feels was pretty endearing too. Indeed, she has suffered through much and is definitely very tramutized. One thing I liked about these scenes is the lighting. I don't really know why, it just made the scenes look better.

There was also an intresting part about Mikuru and Itsuki's factions being at odds with each other because their beliefs conflict with each other. This leaves us to speculate on how their actions have been influencing Kyon and Haruhi. It also leads me to ask on how much of this was planned or perhaps even engineered. In any case, as all 3 sides present their story, it is left to Kyon (and the viewer) to put it together. It's important to know that the three are most under extreme pressure to convince Kyon to their cause. It's also interesting that Kyon still has some thoughts about Haruhi's happiness too-- she's not just a thread to all around her.

Anyhow, Kyon finally decides to take actions, resulting in the events of Episode 00, with perhaps Haruhi's will changing from altering the world to suit her bad movie to altering her bad movie in a better way to suit the world. The last Kyon-Haruhi were definitely fun to watch, with Haruhi seemingly making a concession or two but immediately stepping away. But progress isn't easy. As Haruhi says at the end "That would be too easy!" Sometimes the solutions are under your nose.

10/10--- Well, I don't have the highest opinion of Haruhi S2, but at least ending it on a high note helps. Drop the gimmicks and stick to honest storytelling, and you can have great episodes like these.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2009-09-12, 20:29   Link #305
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Sales for Haruhi are down? You mean... merchandise sales?

Hhmmm... It would be interesting to go over some links dealing with specific figures here. Do you have any, per chance?
Let's not do that in this thread, though. While I appreciate all this meta debate about the franchise/re-airing on a whole, there are a whole ton of posts in this thread that need to be moved... somewhere else. There will be a series impression thread at some point sooner or later, but until then let's try to migrate the "all-purpose" comments in to the more "all-purpose" re-launch thread.

(And as a teaser comment, I'll say that the "sales are down" comment is misleading and highly subjective if you actually think about it in context.)
Old 2009-09-12, 21:53   Link #306
EGFontanilla
Charming General Person

Is the part where the other 3 SOS members confess to Kyon that they are basically just using them pretty big in the sense of a reader's perspective on them? I mean, before this episode, I always saw Yuki as actually caring for Kyon, Mikuru actually kind of attracted to Kyon, and Itsuki, well nothing really changed for him to me. But now it seems like Yuki and Mikuru really don't give a crap about Kyon.

I hope this question makes sense, it's kind of important to me cause I plan on reading the light novels now that the anime is over/on hiatus.
Old 2009-09-12, 22:08   Link #307
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Mikuru's actual feelings regarding Kyon are kinda up in the air, but I will assure you that Nagato's pretty fixated on the guy.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2009-09-12, 22:09   Link #308
Heatth

Send a message via MSN to Heatth
Quote:
Originally Posted by EGFontanilla View Post
Is the part where the other 3 SOS members confess to Kyon that they are basically just using them pretty big in the sense of a reader's perspective on them? I mean, before this episode, I always saw Yuki as actually caring for Kyon, Mikuru actually kind of attracted to Kyon, and Itsuki, well nothing really changed for him to me. But now it seems like Yuki and Mikuru really don't give a crap about Kyon.

I hope this question makes sense, it's kind of important to me cause I plan on reading the light novels now that the anime is over/on hiatus.
Well, is not a breaking of the 4th wall, if is what you are asking. Story wise, it serve to make clear that they might not be how they appear to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
Mikuru's actual feelings regarding Kyon are kinda up in the air, but I will assure you that Nagato's pretty fixated on the guy.
You shouldn't throw random spoiler, you know. That might be clear to novel-readers, but is not at all for anime-only watchers. (trust me, you might get warned due to it)
Old 2009-09-12, 22:27   Link #309
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatth View Post
Well, is not a breaking of the 4th wall, if is what you are asking. Story wise, it serve to make clear that they might not be how they appear to be.
It's not that big a deal, really. It is no mystery that Mikuru, Itsuki and Yuki are all technically secret agents. Mikuru less trained than the other two due to time line necessity.

Some readers are so paranoid that they think young Mikuru can't possibly be as incompetent as she looks. Sure, she might just be a great actress, but that's unlikely consider the extent Adult Mikuru keeping her younger self in the dark about everything.
Old 2009-09-12, 22:38   Link #310
Heatth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
It's not that big a deal, really. It is no mystery that Mikuru, Itsuki and Yuki are all technically secret agents. Mikuru less trained than the other two due to time line necessity.

Some readers are so paranoid that they think young Mikuru can't possibly be as incompetent as she looks. Sure, she might just be a great actress, but that's unlikely consider the extent Adult Mikuru keeping her younger self in the dark about everything.
However, before that most believe in anything they said. Just see how many people still say 'Haruhi is God' in the internet. This scenes are very important to make clear that they might very well be lieing the entire time. It is possible don't think on it before, but now it isn't.
Old 2009-09-12, 22:39   Link #311
typhonsentra

Will we have a "Haruhi 2009" series impressions thread next week?
Old 2009-09-12, 22:43   Link #312
Heminga13
Wannabe Sleuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhonsentra View Post
At this point we're waiting for the last 4 episodes to air just to make sure KyoAni doesn't throw us for a loop with something and so we can talk about all 28 episodes.

Heminga13: Speculating and anticipating 'The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya' movie since August 3, 2009.
Old 2009-09-12, 22:45   Link #313
Heatth

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhonsentra View Post
See the Requests for new threads tread.

We, aparently, are only geing this tread after the end of the rerun (i.e., after Some Day in The Rain be showed). Also, the episode treads might be renamed and most posts in this tread might be moved.
Old 2009-09-12, 23:45   Link #314
DonZabu

I wanna hear more about the bloodshed wrought over Haruhi Suzumiya that Koizumi was talking about.

Suppose Season 3 is made up of "The Wars and Political Intrigue of Haruhi Suzumiya"?
Old 2009-09-13, 00:06   Link #315
Archangel Roy
Nandaiyo
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
Very true, i can't wait for the Dissappearance!

By the way, i photoshoped a new sig, how is it? xp
Old 2009-09-13, 00:26   Link #316
SealkidHaruhiism
Haruhi Suzumiya rules!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Sice the implication of this rerun is: BLR =3 years, E8 is endless eight, while Sight a long movie. So how can a Disapperance will fit in ( i don't know what's it about btw)....

Maybe we will have a whole episode where one of character was disappeared on screen while we didn't notice.
BLR = 3 years, E8 is endless eight, while Sigh a long movie, & The Disappearance = December 18.
Old 2009-09-13, 00:46   Link #317
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

All the movie viewers are male wearing glasses

Spoiler for size:
Old 2009-09-13, 00:46   Link #318
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Anyway, talking about this episodes.....
- the battle of Kyon Vs the cat was hilarious. He tried to escape reality when first hear Shimasen talking ^^
- Even Yuki was surprised with the cat....
- Imouto-san!!!!!! For this rerun, her "Kyon-kun, Denwa" and "Neho, neko, Neko" were so adorable. She will grow up to be a fine girl. Aren't you lucky , Kyon ^^
- .... so that's why Mikuru and Itsuki seems to have such gap between them. In theory they could be the perfect couple considering their personality (and traits, and looks).... You said everything have always been like that? It's ordinary for random girls to put on contact lens and then can shoot beam out of it.... yeah...sure ....
- Thank God/Haruhi it was Yuki who was doing the alien role. It's dangerous for anyone else (include Itsuki) to dodge those attacks
- Then we have Itsuki 's little conversation. I knows he's stressed with the play and the movie. But considering how calm he always is; this time he looks like one of his nakama was just busted open by giant monster or a different organization.
- So Mikuru's a great actress, who was sent in to earn Kyon's sympathy, trust and trying to sabotage things from inside? Which anime am i watching here again?
- Even when normally i always believe the anime female character more( bonus if they are moe). However in this case, i actually have more trust in Itsuki . He does not try to get Kyon to like him, and much of the things he did was indeed opposite -> surely annoyed in Kyon's eyes. Also he's the only one who actually like (or even love) Haruhi, while rooting for KyonxHaruhi relationship. Maybe he was paranoid at Mikuru case, but considering how much blood may was shed, it was still reasonable.
- Now i remember, the 1st time Mikuru put on the laser beam contact lens, it scared the heck out of Itsuki. Maybe in Itsuki's belief, Mikuru's the only one who want to see his blood. That apply with Mitkuru vs Yuki (when she's freaked out)case
- Kyon has such a good idea there by the end. One precise shot and it solved all
- Someone make lots of Haruhi's avatars in the end please, she looks just so awesome. Proud to be Haruhiist as she's the best God ever ^^
- lol at how Kyon mimic Haruhi's head movement

@SealkidHaruhiism: awesome avatar there ^^
Old 2009-09-13, 01:21   Link #319
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatth View Post
You shouldn't throw random spoiler, you know. That might be clear to novel-readers, but is not at all for anime-only watchers. (trust me, you might get warned due to it)
What spoiler? Everything she does revolves around him, to the point that she asks for his permission to do anything.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2009-09-13, 01:25   Link #320
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

As for Yuki fixating on Kyon...just watch her. It isn't a spoiler since she's done it already. If you want more, just watch her during the Computer Game/Space Battle that should reair in three weeks. Basic item...she defers to Kyon, not Haruhi, for commands.

Last edited by Ithekro; 2009-09-13 at 01:58.
Closed Thread