AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-04-24, 03:36   Link #41
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I find the lower ratings odd since I'd assume NoitaminA shows are usually geared towards people who want and need to use their brains more often than other shows.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-24, 04:32   Link #42
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

The unusual artstyle is probably what is turning people off. I'm sure the heavy and fast dialogues play some part in that too, it must not be that easy to keep up with them.

I like the Groundhog day theory. Not sure if we'll get repeated loops (which is always fun) or if the MC will get only one chance to fix life.
Old 2010-04-24, 10:31   Link #43
deadharbor

I was looking forward to it but the speed narrating was grating. Maybe it'll appeal to the Japanese viewers but trying to catch up with the subs was not fun.
deadharbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-25, 02:26   Link #44
_gallo_

I liked it. As expected it was the most interesting show of the season for the visual part. Still I'm not as enthusiast as I was with the first episode of Kaiba. I thought that for a first episode it was too talky in a way that did not allow the characters even to breath and reveal their personalities without using dialogues. I dunno, perhaps it reminded me too much of a Shaft show with Isin's scripts (and I'm one of the the few outliers who didn't enjoy very much Bakemono) and, well, I tend to dislike Shinbo's style.
If anything the show was handled in a more competent way than any other Shaft’s shows of the past years without that cheap feeling I usually get from their shows. But I'm not completely sold for the moment.
It seems that in future episodes several guru animators will make their appearance (Kobayashi said that Matsumoto and Yamashita are in ep 2) and I want to see more episodes directed by Yokoyama Akitoshi. So, yeah, definitely following this.

[... the secret of the Great Stories is that they have no secrets. The Great Stories are the ones you have heard and want to hear again. The ones you can enter anywhere and inhabit comfortably. They don't deceive you with thrills and trick endings. They don't surprise you with the unforeseen.. They are as familiar as the house you live in. Or the smell of your lover's skin. You know how they end yet you listen as though you don't. In the way that you know that one day you will die, you live as though you won't. In the Great Stories you know who lives, who dies, who finds love, who doesn't. And yet you want to know again. That is their mystery and their magic. ...] Arundhati Roy
_gallo_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-25, 07:27   Link #45
Fevvers
a regular van veen

It's official, Yojo-han is THE shit for this season.

Manic and a completely bizarre comedy, this is what Shinbo-directed shows could be if he was actually any good at his craft (sorry, I couldn't resist! lol). Thankfully I'm a fast reader and so the speed of the dialogues didn't really bother me that much, besides the contents of the dialogues themselves were not only entertaining but pretty insightful as well.

I'm very much digging the art direction and visuals, which shouldn't really have surprised me being Yuasa and all.

Oh, and Akaishi is fuck cool. And Ozu too, in his own evil, nefarious ways.
Fevvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-25, 15:11   Link #46
cynicalicious
I like pie.

Finally got a chance to watch this. Looks like it'll be pretty good, but I wish they'd do something about the fine-print-sales-pitch narration style of the main character. It's fatiguing. After 20 minutes, I feel like I've just listened to someone read the fine print of a contract to me.

Other than that, I like the art style, and the story is pretty good, if a little jumpy. (Are we in the past? Wait, are we back in the present now?) Akaishi is awesome. Especially the laser eyes.

Kudos for being smart. That more than anything is probably why the ratings are low. (Well, maybe the John Moschitta tribute speed talking style could play a role.)

But the general anime-watching horde is more interested in the Fetish of the Week, Exploding Things, or Young People Shouting Their Techniques Repeatedly.
cynicalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-25, 16:31   Link #47
scr
my sides are in orbit

Aaaaaand with this anime, my watching list for this season is finalized! This season is so great: we have Arakawa, RAINBOW, and now this.

I don't mind the motor mouth, it's part of the charm.
If there's a Final Fantasy game that I must put my personal seal of disapproval on, it's Crisis Core. I mean, just look at how this Genesis Rhapsodos dude is raping the canon. It's bad. As in, fanfiction bad.
scr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-25, 17:08   Link #48
konart

Win of the season, as expected.
Old 2010-04-25, 17:12   Link #49
TJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
I find the lower ratings odd since I'd assume NoitaminA shows are usually geared towards people who want and need to use their brains more often than other shows.
noitaminA succeeded because they originally focused on highly mainstream concepts. It had noting to do with viewers using their brains. While Fuji did throw in the odd experimental works here and there, it was shows like H&C, Nodame, Hataraki Man, and Moyashimon (which shoot for the lowest common denominator as far as young women are concerned) that kept viewers tuned.

I think the consistent success of that slot fooled Fuji, who began to believe that the viewership was loyal enough to keep watching any quality show they put out, regardless of style/subject matter (the success of Eden of the East didn't help, as it was in fact intended for a male audience but then tailored to be more appealing for noitaminA. With a male-oriented show doing so well in terms of both noitaminA ratings and DVD sales, Fuji looked invincible). Content-wise, they began to shift away from the stuff that drove noitaminA's popularity in the first place.

Anyway, Fuji has a hell of a battle ahead of them to revive the slot. I think the demand is still there, but they'll need a mainstream power shot to draw people back.
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-25, 17:58   Link #50
Karlson
Jumping...is useless!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katapan View Post
Posting this here too, yesterday's ratings from 2ch:

*1.6%
24:45-25:45 CX* noitaminA - Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei - Saraiya Goyou
*2.2% 25:25-25:55 TBS Ookiku Furikabutte ~Natsu no Taikai-hen~ (I'm not sure the fanbases overlap, but let's assume.)

Ouch, noitaminA. Weirder series aren't working out too good for you (Kuuchuu Buranko did badly too).
Ouch indeed. Last week I felt the shift in when House of Five Leaves aired may have caused a freak accident resulting in the rating it got, but I think its evident now this week that both these shows just lack the draw period for exactly as you stated. Too weird to draw in a mainstream crowd

That's really too bad though, I loved this episode so much too. I had to pause alot to catch everything being said but I was surprisingly able to follow what was going on. Not quite sure what exactly happened at the end there when time started shifting backwards suddenly but perhaps that was there just to mess with me plus it reminded me of my favorite scene in Cat Soup so I don't pay it any mind either way.

Last edited by Karlson; 2010-04-25 at 19:34.
Karlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-26, 02:53   Link #51
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Visually, this is outstanding. A treat from the beginning of the OP on. But popular drama requires characters one can sympathize with, and I am having trouble finding such an animal here. Maybe Akashi. My problem with Kuchuu Buranko, Kaiba, etc., was not finding human depth (or maybe I mean warmth) beneath the sparkling surface and smartness. Perhaps it was there, but I couldn't reach it.

Of all such shows, however, this may be the one I feel I have the most chance of growing to like. The machine-gun patter is difficult, but has a charm of its own. Resets could build up to an Endless Eight that actually works. And I love Kyoto.

I think TJR said some true things about noitaminA. It didn't get where it is by being a university course, but by animating good popular josei/shoujo stories. And reaching out to a male audience from there.

By the way, so far I am a huge fan of Saraiya Goyou. As I am of much Mochizuki Tomomi.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-26, 15:36   Link #52
achirist

At first I was a little jarred by the pace of narration, and I even tried to slow the file down in my software, but then I found it's actually really easy once I get used to it. I love the art style, and the dialogue is quite excellent. I think this may edge out arakawa and uragiri for my favorite show of the season, actually.

When he talks about entering a circle at college, does he just mean choosing a social club to join?
Old 2010-04-26, 19:00   Link #53
Joojoobees

Quote:
Originally Posted by achirist View Post
When he talks about entering a circle at college, does he just mean choosing a social club to join?
Yes. That's what he's talking about. It's not as common to refer to such groups as "circles" in English, but it does happen, most notably "sewing circle".
Joojoobees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-27, 09:39   Link #54
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Finally watching epi 1 of this and omg he talks fast
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-27, 10:26   Link #55
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

My thoughts on Episode One.

Spoiler for space:

Akashi is a very aumsing character. She's pretty much the sole reason I'm sticking to this anime for now...
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-27, 16:07   Link #56
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Perhaps if Quarkboy weren't the extremely literate translator that he is, it would be easier to read the subs? Anyone know if the original Japanese is as well-written as Quarkboy's subs?
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-27, 16:39   Link #57
feRfe

this show has top potential atm
feRfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-27, 18:38   Link #58
Theowne
耳をすませば

I absolutely loved it. Best opening of the shows that I've watched this season so far. Fast talking + subtitles can be a dangerous combination but I don't think it was a huge problem, though there were a few scenes where I couldn't focus enough on the visuals due to having to read ever-changing subtitles.

As for the characters, I do agree with what someone said earlier that the human depth/sincerity is not completely there yet - but I did find an aspect of likability here in the lead characters and had no problem being engrossed through the episode. Very much looking forward to the next ep.....

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-27, 19:09   Link #59
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Perhaps if Quarkboy weren't the extremely literate translator that he is, it would be easier to read the subs? Anyone know if the original Japanese is as well-written as Quarkboy's subs?
Yes, it's written using complex written grammar and vocabulary, as it's based on a full fledged, somewhat obtusely written novel. (i.e. not a light novel or manga).

There's the question of course of where "well written" simply becomes obfuscation for obfuscation's sake...
But capturing the quirkiness of the dialog is crucial to its humor.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-27, 19:25   Link #60
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Fast talking seems to be a fad in anime lately, which I don't consider a positive trend on balance. On the whole though, I really enjoyed the first episode - very interesting, if not emotionally involving. I'd actually been debating whether to visit the Kamo Shrines on my Kyoto visit next month earlier on the day I watched the premier, and it certainly sparked my interest.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
funimation, noitamina