AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2022-11-07, 16:44   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 1066 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread GuidelineBriefs
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Are y'all ready? It's that time again! Credit goes to AP's Redon and co. for spoiler info:

-Chapter title is "The will of Ohara". In the ministory, Germa returns to their kingdom, with Caesar tagging along.

-At the lab, Shaka discusses a theory regarding the Void Century, as well as Ohara, which was destroyed for researching that theory. It would appear that when it existed, the Ancient Kingdom went to a war against a coalition of twenty other kingdoms, the latter of whom emerged victorious. As is common knowledge, those kingdoms founded the current World Government. They eliminated every trace of the advanced kingdom as they could, and of course, erased those why would try to dig up its secrets. Even Vegapunk, despite the great influence he holds within the WG, knows he isn't immune to their wrath should he step out of line. Nonetheless, he reveals that he was an old acquaintance of Robin's teacher, Professor Clover, who was a world-renowned archaeologist. In his youth, the good professor's pursuit of knowledge got him arrested time and time again by the marines, but that didn't kill his passion for finding history's truths! Unfortunately, he met his end on that fateful day 22 years ago, when the Buster Call laid waste to his homeland of Ohara.....

-In a flashback, we learn that Vegapunk paid the ruined Ohara a visit several months after that horrible incident. While shocked at what became of the island, the doctor was even more surprised to discover that the scholars' research books survived in a lake! As it turned out, while the marines did spot the books while searching the island, they had no idea of their value, and ended up leaving them be! Thus, Ohara scored a great victory with the survival of their books! Vegapunk actually intended to bring the literature back with him to Punk Hazard, but his superiors wouldn't allow it. Still, one day upon his return to Ohara, he encountered a group of giants fishing the books out of the lake! Even more surprising, Monkey D. Dragon was there! He too, knew Clover. As for the giants, they came from Elbaf, and are well aware of the importance of those books. Even more surprising is that the one leading them is a giant covered in bandages.... who Robin already figures out is her old friend, Jaguar D. Saul! As for Dragon, he was so disgusted by the WG's lengths to censor history that he decided to form an army.... and indeed, on that very year, the Revolutionary Army was formed.

-Vegapunk, who was still interested in Ohara's research, secretly paid Elbaf a visit, where the giants let him read the documents. Those notes ended up becoming the blueprints for his own research! After finishing his story, Shaka says he has one more thing to show Sanji's group. Meanwhile, outside, Luffy's group try to activate the ancient robot when a familiar old man suddenly teleports to the scene..... but his invention went haywire. After Luffy rescues him, the old man recognizes him as Dragon's son, and says he's been expecting his arrival. He also greets Bonney, who's not very pleased to see him. The old man then shows Luffy how to activate his hover boots, which sends him, the rubber man, and Chopper rocketing to the air! As it turns out, the old man is the leader of the SSG (Special Science Group).... the TRUE DR. VEGAPUNK.....!!!!!

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by marvelB; 2022-11-10 at 16:29.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-11-08, 00:17   Link #2
Rainbowman

Can’t wait to see the real Dr. Vegapunk visually.
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-11-08, 08:46   Link #3
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Not sure how to feel about Saul being alive. And I wonder if Aokiji merely pretended to kill him or if Dragon saved him from certain death.

Anyway, I guess the next destination is set. Finally going to Elbaf! The Egghead arc will probably be fairly short and just act as a bridge.
Old 2022-11-08, 08:52   Link #4
grecefar

I can't believe Saul is alive. ;A;
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-11-08, 12:01   Link #5
Hoodspirit

Quote:
JAGUAR D. SAUL
Is that really confirmed by Redon?
Reddit didn't mention that.

As far as I remember Saul was pretty anti-Elbaf too, so it would be weird if it was him.
Hoodspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-11-08, 12:06   Link #6
Galaxian

I bet that the burned person Kid was going to meet will end up being Saul.
Galaxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-11-08, 12:30   Link #7
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodspirit View Post

As far as I remember Saul was pretty anti-Elbaf too, so it would be weird if it was him.
Any port in a storm and all that.

Hope Dragon mentioned this to Robin at some point.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-11-08, 13:54   Link #8
marvelB

Welp, now we're pretty much guaranteed an Elbaf arc, now that we see it holds far more than a connection to Big Mom's past. Not that I ever doubted we'd get one, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodspirit View Post

Yeah, seems that apparently, his survival hasn't been confirmed yet.... but it hasn't been debunked so far, either. Either way, a "giant wrapped in bandages" doesn't leave much room for doubt, IMO. Plus, getting rescued/treated by Elbaf giants would change Saul's attitude toward them, so I think that would be a pretty plausible twist.

If anything, I find the fact that they managed to salvage Ohara's books far more suspect. I mean, wasn't all that research kinda the reason why the island got nuked to oblivion in the first place? And didn't the marines even find those books in the bottom of a lake? You'd think they would have destroyed or at least confiscated them.... unless Dragon CoC'd them before they got the chance to or something, lol.
Old 2022-11-08, 21:44   Link #9
Ramero
7th Order Knight / Hermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Welp, now we're pretty much guaranteed an Elbaf arc, now that we see it holds far more than a connection to Big Mom's past. Not that I ever doubted we'd get one, of course.

Yeah, seems that apparently, his survival hasn't been confirmed yet.... but it hasn't been debunked so far, either. Either way, a "giant wrapped in bandages" doesn't leave much room for doubt, IMO. Plus, getting rescued/treated by Elbaf giants would change Saul's attitude toward them, so I think that would be a pretty plausible twist.

If anything, I find the fact that they managed to salvage Ohara's books far more suspect. I mean, wasn't all that research kinda the reason why the island got nuked to oblivion in the first place? And didn't the marines even find those books in the bottom of a lake? You'd think they would have destroyed or at least confiscated them.... unless Dragon CoC'd them before they got the chance to or something, lol.
I very recall that Saul was KIA through cryosleep by Aokiji. Unless Aokiji didn't freeze his body down to the bone, Saul has high possibility of surviving it.

This makes me wondering, does Straw Hats may encounter Kid again? Law is currently occupied with Blackbeard. Anyone can make a guess who's heading to Elbaf?

I wonder if Oda loves Crash Bandicoot. Dr. Vegapunk is similar to Neo Cortex.

Last edited by Ramero; 2022-11-09 at 09:01.
Ramero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-11-09, 16:28   Link #10
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

So many huge revelations in one chapter!

I don't understand what Oda is doing with Saul. In the raws, the giant covered in bandages is unmistakably Saul. But even when Robin directly asks Vegapunk if said giant was Saul, Vegapunk keeps it vague. Why? How are we supposed to interpret this mystery when it seems so obvious since Robin blatantly stated it.
Old 2022-11-10, 07:44   Link #11
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH&S View Post
So many huge revelations in one chapter!

I don't understand what Oda is doing with Saul. In the raws, the giant covered in bandages is unmistakably Saul. But even when Robin directly asks Vegapunk if said giant was Saul, Vegapunk keeps it vague. Why? How are we supposed to interpret this mystery when it seems so obvious since Robin blatantly stated it.
There's no mystery. Robin knows it, the readers know it, everybody knows it. Vegapunk doesn't directly say "yup, that was Jaguar D. Saul" because he doesn't fully trust the SHs, I guess.

Vegapunk's design in the past was hilarious. Talk about galaxy brain
Old 2022-11-10, 08:00   Link #12
patnam

Albert Einstein is now the material of Dr. Vegapunk
patnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-11-10, 11:44   Link #13
espec22

The fact that Oda use Einstein as a base for the model of Vegapunk was cool, but the Einstein ohoto where he shows his tongue is just genious!!!
espec22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-11-10, 16:43   Link #14
marvelB

Sorry it took a while, but OP updated! Well, the real Vegapunk's design is appropriately goofy enough (and I suppose it's only natural that he'd be based on Einstein, heh). I'm also glad that Luffy's group got to meet him first.... IMO, it feels more fitting that our MC gets that honor. Besides, Oda even teased this meeting several years back in an SBS, so good on him for finally following through on that!

Anyway, turns out that marine incompetence was the reason for the survival of Ohara's research, after all..... or at least from the grunts, anyway. I very much doubt someone like Akainu would have left those books alone if he were in on the search.....
Old 2022-11-10, 16:48   Link #15
itachi-san314

I didn't realize a Clover backstory would be so epic. I really like how everything is tying together. Given that giant hat Im was looking at, I bet he or she ends up on Elbaf too so we learn more about the top of the WG before the final showdown
itachi-san314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-11-10, 18:50   Link #16
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by itachi-san314 View Post
I didn't realize a Clover backstory would be so epic. I really like how everything is tying together. Given that giant hat Im was looking at, I bet he or she ends up on Elbaf too so we learn more about the top of the WG before the final showdown
It's been theorized for a long time now that Joyboy was a giant. I think this lends more credence to that theory. To be honest, the giant straw-hat alone was probably enough evidence.
Old 2022-11-10, 19:31   Link #17
itachi-san314

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
It's been theorized for a long time now that Joyboy was a giant. I think this lends more credence to that theory. To be honest, the giant straw-hat alone was probably enough evidence.
I think he was a giant too. Or maybe he had Luffy's DF and just stayed in the giant form.

I'm actually surprised that the SHs left Wano without Oda telling the audience what the deal with Onigashima was. It looked like a giant skull from an ancient Oni that was like 10,000 times the size of Kaidou. Maybe he was the bigger descendent of the Oars that wound up with Moria or maybe just the first Oni giant. We'll probably get all that info later though. Maybe that's something Yamato will discover in Wano while the SHs do other things.
itachi-san314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-11-10, 22:59   Link #18
Theia_Loki

Just finished reading the chapter twice already. Looks as if two of the giants that were fishing those books from Ohara out are Hajrudin and Gerd, and it wouldn't surprise me if those two, in particular, both end up making an appearance at Elbaf.

But to be frank, I had to do a double take the first time I read the chapter after seeing the real Dr Vegapunk's silhouette (at least when he visited Ohara 22 years ago; that head of his gave me some major Dr. Seuss vibes). But good gravy, looking at the real him from the flashback and from the present by the end of that chapter makes it very hard to imagine him being anywhere close to "antagonistic" or "evil."

But how long until CP0 manages to make it to Egghead and trouble from them happens?
Theia_Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-11-11, 08:04   Link #19
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theia_Loki View Post
But to be frank, I had to do a double take the first time I read the chapter after seeing the real Dr Vegapunk's silhouette (at least when he visited Ohara 22 years ago; that head of his gave me some major Dr. Seuss vibes). But good gravy, looking at the real him from the flashback and from the present by the end of that chapter makes it very hard to imagine him being anywhere close to "antagonistic" or "evil."
The chapter made it very obvious Vegapunk (the original) is a good guy through and through. No ambiguity there.

Given what his head looks like now compared to the past, how likely is it he split his brain and transplanted it into the six other Vegapunks? It sounds ridiculous of course, but it's One Piece.
Old 2022-11-11, 09:42   Link #20
Theia_Loki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
The chapter made it very obvious Vegapunk (the original) is a good guy through and through. No ambiguity there.

Given what his head looks like now compared to the past, how likely is it he split his brain and transplanted it into the six other Vegapunks? It sounds ridiculous of course, but it's One Piece.
True. The only thing that made it semi-ambiguous about him was the association he had with Judge and Queen, namely with the group that the latter called MADS through which they all worked in the past.

But yeah, I definitely figured he split his brain among the other six when I saw his head.
Theia_Loki is offline   Reply With Quote