AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2010-01-17, 15:47   Link #1
king12354

French fansub groups

Are there any french fansub groups subbing currently airing anime except for Naruto and Bleach? Thanks.
king12354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-18, 08:58   Link #2
Sylf
翻訳家わなびぃ
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to Sylf Send a message via Yahoo to Sylf
http://jishaku.net/?search=vostfr&cat=0
Sylf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-18, 12:40   Link #3
Milvus

There is a quite a lot of French fansub groups : almost all animes are translated.

Beware, about 95% of them are translating from English fansub.
Milvus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-18, 16:54   Link #4
king12354

Thanks Sylf, there's a couple in that site I was looking for but not as many as I would have hoped.

To Milvus, that doesn't bother me.
Old 2010-01-19, 18:36   Link #5
Itsukii
★【SSA karaoker】★
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to Itsukii
Try Animeka. It's a sort of AnimeSuki without links. You'll have to find by yourself the website of the team... otherwise, you can try totoro news (there are less fansub group referenced)
Old 2010-01-23, 14:39   Link #6
king12354

Thanks, that's exactly what I'm looking for.
Old 2010-01-23, 15:14   Link #7
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milvus View Post
Beware, about 95% of them are translating from English fansub.
That emphasis is quite true and pertinent to consider, especially when you have some moronic subs translating "no way" into "pas de chemin / sans issu" disregarding its true meaning...
Old 2010-01-23, 16:10   Link #8
Kikuchi

Unless you're desperate to get your hands on a French sub because, say, you have trouble understanding English or want to show something to people who can't/won't read English subs... Don't take French subs. The sheer quantity of low-quality subs makes finding good ones a difficult - if not impossible - task.

Over the years there has definitely been a rise in the quality of English > French translations, but it's never good enough and concerns only a few groups.
Among frustrating things I still stumble on in French translation (beside bad English skills and a total lack of any knowledge of Japanese whatsoever), overuse of Japanese words and honorifics or, far worse, bad French grammar (!) are the worst offenders.
And how many times have I seen dialogs that makes no sense because the guy and its "checkers" translated the damn thing like their English homework?

Sorry for the rant, just my feelings on the state of French "fansubs".
Kikuchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-23, 18:08   Link #9
Milvus

I completly agree. Almost all oldtimer animefans in France and francophone countries just watch english fansubs or raws : better video quality, better translation, faster releases, more choice... There are a few shows i know to exist only in french fansubs (Wingman come to my mind), mostly because we had them on TV in the 80's and there is no DVD release, but it's quite the exception.

I believe most experienced and competent french fansubbers just stop doing it, or go to work in english/international fansub groups. It's leave mostly the beginners and some stupid people. Quite a vicious circle...

The strange news of the day is a french fansub group claiming to be chosen by the company who licenced Dance in the Vampire Bund for doing its official simulcast. We are quite flabbergasted by it on irc channels and blogs...
Old 2010-01-24, 08:13   Link #10
Kikuchi

I was writing a post about how Dybex surely couldn't sink that low, then stumbled on the confirmation that it was true.

What the hell Dybex? Apparently the fansub group does everything besides script editing. EVEN the video mastering. And I just checked the final release, I'm not sure they could have done worse : colored subs, unneeded and bad text incrustation, long lines, little characters (hello guys, your file is broadcasting on Dailymotion, it's not a 1280*720 MKV!)... Not to mention the simply horrid video quality.
Ironically (and thankfully since this is supposedly the script that will be used in the DVD release), the translation is okay. But then again, judging from the announcement and how these guys thought the Dybex editor that was working with them was "awesome", it might only be thanks to him.

What's next? Using a dvdrip and amateur subs as the source for the theatrical release of Eva 2.0? Seriously.
Old 2010-01-24, 09:38   Link #11
Milvus

Well, 350kb/s, no CABAC and no B-Frames. How can there be any quality ?

Dybex, what happened to you ?
Old 2010-01-24, 10:20   Link #12
Itsukii
★【SSA karaoker】★
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to Itsukii
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milvus
The strange news of the day is a french fansub group claiming to be chosen by the company who licenced Dance in the Vampire Bund for doing its official simulcast. We are quite flabbergasted by it on irc channels and blogs...
Lulwut. Well, I wasn't able to stop laughing when I see that the group was shitty.
They stole karaokes effect and put their nicknames in the credits. Everything except the translation in the release is crappy. Time is fucked up and Typeset give me eyecancer (ooh my, the ts of the ED....)
And the icing on the cake, this french groups thinks he is good.
So, I hope it'll be fixed soon with ep2. It's shameful to release something like that.
I don't even imagine what it would have been without a professional TLC/editor.
Dybex should have choose a group with more xp. Strangely, nothing appears on Dybex's website about doing DitVB with a group...

Here's the massacre : http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xby...-vo_shortfilms
Old 2010-01-24, 10:23   Link #13
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikuchi View Post
Apparently the fansub group does everything besides script editing.

I heard they just TL and time

french quote:

Quote:
Pour résumé: Thomas PHILIPPE (Aserikor) et moi même Julien LE CERF (Luxus donc) allons nous occuper de la traduction, des times et de l'adaptation en japonais.
totoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-24, 10:55   Link #14
Kikuchi

Yeah, I read that afterwards too, my bad.
I read that the Media Factory raw was really bad, but who knows.

Anyway.
Someone on this blog pointed out something interesting : Will the japanese right holders stand by without saying anything?
I can't see any japanese publisher taking well the news of a fansub group working on an official release. Moreover, we're talking about Media Factor. It could utterly destroy Dybex image.

I know that it's not actually the fansub team as a whole, but they sure make it look that way, announcing a "partnership" on their website and going as far as saying that Carlo Lévy personally agreed to that.

It'll be interesting to see what happens from now on.
Old 2010-01-24, 11:23   Link #15
Katapan
俺様祭り

The Dybex sub didn't turn out terribly, in the end. Much better than what I expected based on the subbers' website - at least, the translation was spot on. Had the subbers not announced that they were working on the Dybex version, I'd never have suspected anything.

... and they should never have announced it. Imo, the real issue is, as Kikuchi pointed, Media Factory. I'm not quite sure they'd approve of the methods seeing how they regard fansubbers - and it would be really stupid to lose the producers' trust just because of two fansubbers' egos (I assume that is the reason behind their announcement, at least). Is anyone ever going to find out, though...

(And I can now only hope that Durarara!! gets a decent treatment - Dybex also is planning to simulcast this one and there's no way I'm getting their DVDs later on if they actually use terrible fansubs.)
Old 2010-01-24, 11:45   Link #16
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katapan View Post
and it would be really stupid to lose the producers' trust just because of two fansubbers' egos (I assume that is the reason behind their announcement, at least).
Yeah,I'm not sure dybex is really happy to see them announce it like that,there doesn't seem to be any declaration on their website stating that they've hired fansubbers,or that there's any sort of "partnership".

Havn't Crunchyroll hired some former fansubers to do their translations?You don't see the translator go on the website of a group he works/worked for and say "hey,crunchyroll has chosen us to make the subs for this show"
totoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-26, 09:32   Link #17
Kikuchi

Dybex republished the video, deleting all comments in the process. They also publied a statement in which they denied knowing about the affiliation between their new people and a fansub group. Yeah, right.

At the same time, the people at Ame no Tsuki modified and later totally deleted their news, leaving only the simulcast itself.