AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2021-11-23, 23:35   Link #1
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Jurassic World: Dominion

Well, hold on to your butts.....

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2021-11-24, 01:36   Link #2
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Classic Double Feature:

"American Graffiti"
"Flash Gordon"
Old 2021-11-24, 06:59   Link #3
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

Love the callback to mosquito that triggered everything.

Looking at how no safety measure despite risk of wild dinosaur while the policemen are ready I take it the movie taking at least months after second movie. Hopefully the story will be able to establish new iconic characters being Prologue, can't expect Malcolm being the only sane researcher as time goes.

Still, "Prologue" and "Dominion", part of me wished JW not going Planet of the Apes route.
Old 2022-02-10, 10:04   Link #4
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

YouTube

YouTube

Last edited by Obelisk ze Tormentor; 2022-02-10 at 15:56.
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-02-10, 21:04   Link #5
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

So this is the last installment for World series with Park characters concluding it as the end as one?

HELL YEAH! So excited to see how they're working as a team.
Looking forward to see if Grant still be able to take things positively after JP 3 casts agreed he became more cynical after what he experienced in JP 1. LOL.

Love the trailer showing their concern is including tracking Wu, not many sequels care enough to actually chase the mad scientist.
Old 2022-02-11, 00:44   Link #6
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
For those of us who were there for the release of the original Jurassic Park, seeing the OG trio teamed up with the new cast feels so freaking EPIC. This is Avengers Endgame kind of epic, but stretching over a much larger span. 32 years, good god……
Old 2022-02-11, 06:37   Link #7
kiak666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
For those of us who were there for the release of the original Jurassic Park, seeing the OG trio teamed up with the new cast feels so freaking EPIC. This is Avengers Endgame kind of epic, but stretching over a much larger span. 32 years, good god……
Come to think of it, the two kids from Jurassic Park are now around the same age as Chris Pratt and Bryce Dallas Howard...
kiak666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-02-11, 07:29   Link #8
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Joseph Mazzello, who played Tim Murphy, is still in the filming industry - he most notably starred as Eugene Sledge in the miniseries The Pacific and John Deacon in Bohemian Rhapsody - although, as far as I know, Ariana Richards, who played Lex Murphy, retired from acting a while ago and is now a painter.

That said, having an overly large cast isn't always a good thing (I must confess I'm not particularly fond of casts mash-ups/team-ups), especially if they're introduced halfway through. Not that I'm not happy to see Sam Neill and Laura Dern again, don't get me wrong.

But...to echo Ian Malcolm from the trailer: "Bigger...why do they always have to go bigger?"
Old 2022-02-11, 08:24   Link #9
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade334 View Post
That said, having an overly large cast isn't always a good thing (I must confess I'm not particularly fond of casts mash-ups/team-ups), especially if they're introduced halfway through. Not that I'm not happy to see Sam Neill and Laura Dern again, don't get me wrong.

But...to echo Ian Malcolm from the trailer: "Bigger...why do they always have to go bigger?"
From the trailer delivery I believe their target audience is people that saw this as Jurassic Park: Endgame so the issue easily narrowed to role distribution.
I can see them giving just enough introduction like pro-hunters in JP 2. Good things that the three OG characters never out of picture from setting if you look back to past movies exposition, so its easy to skip explanation into "experienced researchers hiring the dinosaurs tamer" in consideration to their target audience.

Old 2022-02-11, 10:12   Link #10
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
People are getting excited... I'm rather dismayed.

The JP curse continues: the second movie ends up being horrible (y'all know about the Lost World), and so they attempt to salvage it with the third. But when you have to bring back the old cast in a new story in order to get people excited... it means the directors dun screwed up.

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-02-11, 10:56   Link #11
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magin View Post
People are getting excited... I'm rather dismayed.

The JP curse continues: the second movie ends up being horrible (y'all know about the Lost World), and so they attempt to salvage it with the third. But when you have to bring back the old cast in a new story in order to get people excited... it means the directors dun screwed up.
Really?

I found second JP movie is fine, not bad, just too much flexing on what they capable of.
Prioritizing dinosaurs movement to the point it got more body bags for sake of dinosaurs looking good.
Third movie direction then aware flexing is a mistake so we got less movement but more variety from dinosaurs again with forest setting.

World is modernization of Park. I'd say this part is good move from the writers.

First movie is basically JP 1 but under modern management and scientist.
Fallen Kingdom is JP 2 fixed (very obvious especially Raptor chase part, less Raptor help being focused) and modernized coupled with Dominion setup (before the mansion burned, some hybrid dinosaurs already sold and shipped to various place like Russia, Indonesia, etc also Ian Malcolm cameo that confirm all InGen dinosaurs now 'goes public').

Will Dominion got similarities with JP 3? So far its just Grant and Ellie involvement and ... well, the crashed plane.

Old 2022-02-11, 12:02   Link #12
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Not gonna lie, the writing of the World movies sucked major balls so far. Two movies in, and the combined idiocy that were displayed on screen is staggering. People who often diss JP3's writing but praise JW's mostly don't know what they're talking about. The JP3 still had better writing than the JW1 & 2 combined. The only thing that the World movies have are lofty concept but they had no idea how to execute it well aside from getting (manufactured) emotional reaction & "whoas".

These people can articulate better than me when it comes to the worst things from the JW movies so far:
YouTube
YouTube

At this point, I'm just gonna accept that the JW movies are just brainless entertainment like Fast & Furious. And yes, I will keep my expectation super-low for Dominion coz this is still the same guy who wrote the retarded Fallen Kingdom. I'm so scared that this movie will screw with the OG characters (I hope I'm wrong). At the very least, don't make their lives more miserable than where we left them off.
Old 2022-02-11, 14:20   Link #13
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

I'll still take this over Fast and Furious because at least I can see the staffs wanted to tell something.

My concern to this film is more to how they will conclude this if they intended it as end.

Trailer mentioned Blue got kid likely without male, true to her genetic modification as told by Wu and Owen in JW 1 and 2.
Will it stretched during course of movie? Grant and Malcolm definitely recognized such ability as problem thanks to JP 2 and JP 3.

Wu also narratively better be died by Fallen Kingdom but his plot armor goes up to Dominion.
They better have good reason keeping him in game for long time, the action portion made me worried this one will be wrapped quickly (seriously doubt Skyfall motor chase + Raptors and plane crash will take less than five minutes).

Old 2022-02-12, 00:05   Link #14
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
The way I understand JP and JW:

JP1 of course, is the best- an all-around great movie, especially when you consider that it's still technically for kids. Then Lost World... Lost World was very bleh. And to add onto it, JP3 was just terrible, and had exactly ONE good thing going for it- the big dino fight.

JW I've heard qualifies under "decent" it's not JP1, but it is a bit better than JP2 or 3. Then Fallen Kingdom... I've heard very little good about Fallen Kingdom. If it is just a re-do of Lost World, this probably explains why.

So, I have little optimism for Dominion, especially since I find bringing back the original cast is pure fanservice in an attempt to save a franchise.

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-02-12, 01:32   Link #15
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magin View Post
JP3 was just terrible, and had exactly ONE good thing going for it- the big dino fight.
  • JP3 was fun & funny.
  • has great pacing with only around 90 minutes runtime
  • simple & sweet, not convoluted
  • brimming with colours which are nice to look at
  • and has Sam Neil's Alan Grant as main protag.

All in all, JP3 knows what it is (a dinosaur roller-coaster) and did its best to be good at it instead of trying to be profound like JW & FK (which ended up being dumber than JP3) and bite more than it can chew like those two movies did.
Old 2022-02-12, 01:42   Link #16
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

For me:

JP 1 is nice, balanced, you can easily see what they tried to tell through such turn of events.
JP 2 is troubled, the concept is fine but too many characters exist only to flex on how now they can do 'complex dinosaurs movement'.
JP 3 is nice, learning from mistakes, camerawork can get some help because second half is like they struggled to have both adventure and thriller atmosphere on same time.

JW 1 is modernized JP 1, its not as good as JP 1 due to setups (Dr. Wu in particular, also how they tried to gave explanation to every case of dinosaurs breached security).
JW 2 is JP 2 patched, it became mess because they tried rationalizing stuffs (e.g. clone issue, brought in an out-of-place situation hoping to explain why Hammond is so confident with reviving dinosaurs and why Wu got obsession of "making things better and stronger" in JW 1; genetically modified dinosaur auction to give idea why InGen never short of investors contrast to JP 2 new theme park project) while keeping Wu alive.

I'm quite optimist for JW 3 because in one of JW 1 interviews, the director express his goal is to portray impact to civilization and ecological disaster that would happen if dinosaurs roaming free as, nowadays, in era where CG dinosaur available on theme park, YouTube and museum, that's the only uncharted territory. I kinda expecting Dominion only made FK worse because not enough screentime that it would be better decision to run Dominion Part 1 and Part 2 like Endgame instead of FK -> Dominion.
Old 2022-04-29, 06:05   Link #17
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

YouTube
Old 2022-06-05, 20:48   Link #18
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

YouTube

Well, it doesn't sound very good. It's mostly just dino-action fest peppered with nostalgia & easter eggs.
Old 2022-06-05, 22:51   Link #19
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Well, it doesn't sound very good. It's mostly just dino-action fest peppered with nostalgia & easter eggs.
I kinda doubt it reached fair amount of dino-action standard compare to past movies as other reviews I found mention dino-action kinda lacking due to the bloated cast.
Spoiler for :
Old 2022-06-06, 07:15   Link #20
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

So...
Spoiler:

Last edited by Renegade334; 2022-06-09 at 09:02.
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote