AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-12-22, 07:01   Link #1
eggplant
Eggplant

Winter Garden

A spin-off of the Di Gi Charat anime series, Winter Garden is a two episode special starring Di Gi Charat and Petit Charat ten years after their previous roles.

Broadcasting stations and times:

TBS (4:3 pan and scan)
Part One: Dec 22 (Fri) from 26:59 (2:59AM on Dec 23)
Part Two: Dec 23 (Sat) from 26:45 (2:45AM on Dec 24)

BS-i (16:9 widescreen)
Part One: Dec 27 (Wed) from 26:30 (2:30AM on Dec 28)
Part Two: Jan 3 (Wed) from 26:30 (2:30AM on Jan 4)

Staff:
Original Concept: Broccoli (Di Gi Charat, Galaxy Angel)

Character Concept: Koge Donbo (Di Gi Charat, Sugar: A Little Snow Fairy, Pita Ten, Kamichama Karin)

Director/Script: Sakurai Hiroaki (Daa! Daa! Daa!, Sugar: A Little Snow Fairy, Nanaka 6/17, Cromartie High School, Sweet Valerians, Les Miserables Shoujo Cossette)

Character Design: Hasegawa Shinya (Revolutionary Girl Utena, Ikki Tousen, The Melody of Oblivion, Okusama wa Mahou Shoujo)

Music: instant cytron

Sound Director: Nakano Tohru (Nanaka 6/17, Cromartie High School, Kyou kara Maoh!, Top wo Nerae 2!, Starship Operators, Glass Mask, Super Robot Wars OG, Tsubasa Chronicle Season 2, Spider Riders, .hack//Roots, D.Gray-man)

Animation Studio: J.C. Staff (Revolutionary Girl Utena, Daa! Daa! Daa!, Puni Puni Poemi, Sugar: A Little Snow Fairy, Azumanga Daioh, Ai Yori Aoshi, Spiral, Someday's Dreamers, Nanaka 6/17, Gunparade March, R.O.D -THE TV-, Shingetsutan Tsukihime, Maburaho, Daphne in the Brilliant Blue, The Melody of Oblivion, Doki Doki School Hours, Starship Operators, Mahoraba ~Heartful Days~, Best Student Council, Honey and Clover, LOVELESS, Okusama wa Mahou Shoujo, Shakugan no Shana, Karin, Yomigaeru Sora -Rescue Wings-, Zero no Tsukaima, Sky Girls, Ghost Hunt, Asatte no Houkou, Potemayo, Nodame Cantabile)

Opening song: "Forget-me-not" (Satou Hiromi)
Ending song: "Winter Garden" (Sanada Asami)

Cast
Di Gi Charat (Chocolat/Dejiko): Sanada Asami (Jun in Rozen Maiden, Shiina in Shadow Star Narutaru, Seiya in Daa! Daa! Daa!, Chizuko in Mahoromatic, Phil in Sugar: A Little Snow Fairy, Magical Domiko in Nanaka 6/17, Mari in This Ugly Yet Beautiful World, Vita in Magical Lyrical Nanoha, A's, Kazuki in Amaenaideyo!! Katsu!!, Rasse in Himesama Goyoujin, Louise Fort in Ginga Tetsudou Monogatari, Emelenzia in Mamoru-kun ni Megami no Shukufuku wo!)

Petit Charat (Puchiko): Sawashiro Miyuki (Shinku in Rozen Maiden, Kotarou in Pita Ten, Kojopii in Shiawase Sou no Okojo-san, Ai in Daa! Daa! Daa!, Iina in Kokoro Library, Mint in Galaxy Angel, Khi in DearS, Tykho in Top wo Nerae 2!, Mayura in Best Student Council, Xia Yu Lan in Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid, Akane in Pani Poni Dash!, Kanae in D.C.S.S., Sara in Mai-Otome, Tae in Rakugo Tennyo Oyui, Sobana in Himesama Goyoujin, Aruruu in Utawarerumono, Ibara-hime in Otogi Juushi Akazukin, Cassandra in Black Blood Brothers, Nekane/Shichimi/Kurobara Danshaku in Negima!?, Claire in RED GARDEN)

Takurou: Irino Miyu (Daisuke in D.N. Angel, Syaoran in Tsubasa Chronicle, Sena in Eyeshield 21, Kouyou in Fafner, Jun in Windy Tales, Tokito in Giniro no Olynssis)

Aiko: Sasaki Nozomi (Nanami in Bokura ga Ita, Patty in Lucky☆Star)

Official webiste: http://www.tbs.co.jp/anime/wintergarden/

Genre: Comedy, romance

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I saw Part One at the TBS Festa (caveat: spoilers), not knowing this was a spinoff of Di Gi Charat, but even with the knowledge, it should come as a surprise for viewers of the series.

Part One will air in 6 hours from this post.

Yuri de yuri de yuriyuri ne!--Tsunomoto Rein

Old 2006-12-22, 09:56   Link #2
itzfurrball

Send a message via ICQ to itzfurrball Send a message via AIM to itzfurrball Send a message via Yahoo to itzfurrball
As a die-hard Di Gi Charat fan, I'll be watching the raws as soon as they appear - not too long a wait now, eh? Looks too interesting to miss.

By the way can anyone fill me in on what's going on with the Di Gi Charat Nyo US distribution (hope this is not too offtopic, but I didn't want to start a new thread). It came out in Japan in 2003-2004, and was licensed pretty fast, I think (only episodes 1-6 came out). I had a friend buy the last 4 japanese volumes (ep. 73-104) for me... The first american release date for the series was first half of 2005, then april 2006. I remember Amazon had 2 first volumes as preorder. Today I went back to check on amazon and bandai-ent site and found nothing. Did they kill my favorite series?/Am I that bad at looking this up?/Has some other company picked it up?
Old 2006-12-22, 14:07   Link #3
martino
makes no files now

I don't know much about Di Gi Charat, but I suppose that this is going to be a bit different, right?
Old 2006-12-22, 15:58   Link #4
itzfurrball

Send a message via ICQ to itzfurrball Send a message via AIM to itzfurrball Send a message via Yahoo to itzfurrball
yup... somewhat different genre, different setting.
Old 2006-12-22, 16:19   Link #5
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by martino View Post
I don't know much about Di Gi Charat, but I suppose that this is going to be a bit different, right?
Animenfo has this to say about this:
Di Gi Charat (call her Digiko for short) and Petit Charat (the cute little charat) come down to Earth, where they want to be idols, or something like that. Rabi~en~Rose (a random girl with bunny ears) decides they're in her way of becoming an idol herself. They all end up working at Gamers, where various otaku, children, and humanoid fingers walk in and act like morons.

Fortunately, this special is going to veer off from its regular theme and will concentrate more on the romance. J.C Staff is the production company which gives it a lot of credibility about the possibility of it's being turned out to be a good one.
Old 2006-12-22, 23:15   Link #6
Catgirls
I am mowing clowns

Meh.

I'd say the first Episode was fairly average. Sort of a Di Gi-Kanon feeling (with the snow, pensive virginal girls, cake and all ...) though the story isn't Kanon-ish ... just the setting made me think of mittens and PMS.

The animation wasn't great, but it wasn't "Love-Love" either. Bah...maybe I'm over-worked and just nihilistic tonight, but I found the first episode fair-to-midland.

Story: 6 out of 10 (cute, but cliché, but cute)
Animation: 2/10 (flat, no depth to the colors. shadowing done by interns & PA's)
Voice Acting: 4/10 (fair to flat to bland)
Foley/SFX work: 7/10 (nice work actually)
OP/ED/Show music: 6/10 (not bad, sounded like the Peanuts Christmas special at times)
Eye-catch: Blah

Being a card carrying member of "Di Gi Charat had me at the door", I can't say I was overly enamored with this Alt.World so far (so far). The story was kind of oddly cute in an odd way.

Last edited by Catgirls; 2006-12-22 at 23:31.
Old 2006-12-22, 23:37   Link #7
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Crud! Haven't seen the episode myself but from Catgirls response, it doesn't sound very good. I was expecting more considering this is J.C. Stuff production. May be the 2nd special that comes out tomorrow will be good?
Old 2006-12-22, 23:41   Link #8
Catgirls
I am mowing clowns

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
Crud! Haven't seen the episode myself but from Catgirls response, it doesn't sound very good. I was expecting more considering this is J.C. Stuff production. May be the 2nd special that comes out tomorrow will be good?
It could just be me. I'd judge it for yourself. I'm tired and I've been working long hours...slow, cute adult "boy meets girl" story-lines probably aren't the best for me now. Maybe some Black Lagoon instead.

/though I stand by my assessment of the animation quality.
Old 2006-12-22, 23:49   Link #9
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirls View Post
It could just be me. I'd judge it for yourself. I'm tired and I've been working long hours...slow, cute adult "boy meets girl" story-lines probably aren't the best for me now. Maybe some Black Lagoon instead.
To be honest, I've found your judgment on anime series agreeable to my taste most of the time, so most likely it will be diappointing for me as well. Black Lagoon is a must see for everyone, the tireds and the not-tireds. Glad to see you are still posting btw, when I thought you have washed your hands from this forum all together.

P.S. grab yourself a comedy or shounen series since these genre seems to works as a remedy to the tired body and mind. I speak from experience.
Old 2006-12-22, 23:54   Link #10
belpegor
Banned

I dont know about you guys but Black Lagoon is a bit aggressive for my taste. I like romantic series best. I never get tired of watching old and new romantic series
Old 2006-12-23, 00:34   Link #11
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I'm with belpegor for romances. I dropped Black Lagoon after one epiosde because it was too harsh for my delicate taste. (But I will try to take another look, for Toyoguchi Megumi alone).

I liked what I saw as this show's combination of simplicity and indeterminacy. It's not a masterwork, but I totally loved the backgrounds and thought the animation was nice. I thought the voice-acting was, let's say, above average. It helped create the mood. And my main reason for watching was Sasaki Nozomi as the male lead's roommate. I look forward to hearing more and more of that unique and totally identifiable voice. I have zero knowledge of Di Gi Charat, so all I can say about that is that I love the premise of the x-years later look-in.

All in all, I thought the show was like a nicely prepared afternoon tea at the heroine's shop.

EDIT: And the second and final episode just confirmed my feeling about the show. I enjoyed it, liked the mood, the backgrounds, even the animation, the simplicity of the character design, plot and direction, and actually loved listening to the beautiful voices of Sanada Asami (Di Gi Charat, Jun in Rozen Maiden), Sawashiro Miyuki (Puchi Charat, Shinku in Rozen Maiden) and Sasaki Nozomi (Aiko, Nana-chan in Bokura ga Ita).
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2006-12-25 at 17:07.
Old 2006-12-24, 21:10   Link #12
itzfurrball

Spoiler:

Sweet and melancholic story pretty much like seasonal american movies. the last 5 minutes save the show for me bigtime.

Dejiko is so much grown-up compared to what she used to be
Puchiko still dazzles the crowd. she sounds like a mix of puchiko and aruruu and talks quite a lot now. Miyuki's voicing is between Puchiko and Aruruu.
Rabi is recognizable and still chases after her career.

McDonalds? WTF the place puchiko works in is called "McDonald Hamburger" complete with logo and Ronald Cardboard.

voice acting is good and the dialogues are very lively.
Old 2006-12-26, 00:03   Link #13
DestroKing

I really like the insert song in the 2nd episode. Is there a place where I could get the lyrics of that song?
Old 2006-12-26, 06:25   Link #14
capture
Saber's Husband XD

Send a message via Yahoo to capture
Ep1 subbed had been up, hoping it will be nice....
Old 2006-12-26, 14:00   Link #15
martino
makes no files now

Facial Hair Club?!? What the hell was that about like???

The animation was poor, however the simplicity does have its own beauty. The rest seemed fine to me. So far it looks like a calm slowly paced average romance anime. Nothing special, but not bad either.

Though I must say that her sister is rather cute....
Old 2006-12-26, 16:38   Link #16
Kilgamayan
Ow! My nutbladder!
*Fansubber

Puchiko was preserved perfectly. She acted just as one would think she would ten years down the line from her initial incarnation and Miyuki aged her voice really well. The only thing that surprised me was that she'd reduce herself to working at McDonalds.

Even though I loved the old Dejiko, I liked this new spin on her.

Too bad they both dropped their suffixes. :<
Old 2006-12-26, 17:31   Link #17
itzfurrball

Puchiko was definitely the best part of this show
Old 2006-12-26, 19:48   Link #18
martino
makes no files now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgamayan View Post
Puchiko was preserved perfectly. She acted just as one would think she would ten years down the line from her initial incarnation and Miyuki aged her voice really well. The only thing that surprised me was that she'd reduce herself to working at McDonalds.

Even though I loved the old Dejiko, I liked this new spin on her.

Too bad they both dropped their suffixes. :<
I was shocked at the McDonalds bit as well. They could have chosen something better, but perhaps it has its own meaning...
Old 2006-12-26, 20:58   Link #19
suguru
京都 ikitai~

For a part-time student job, McDonald's isn't so bad, (hell, at her age I worked at a tiny hot dog stand for a while)--besides, her resume's probably pretty much blank, especially if she's in a lot of clubs and hasn't had a part-time job before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
I liked what I saw as this show's combination of simplicity and indeterminacy. It's not a masterwork, but I totally loved the backgrounds and thought the animation was nice. I thought the voice-acting was, let's say, above average. It helped create the mood. And my main reason for watching was Sasaki Nozomi as the male lead's roommate. I look forward to hearing more and more of that unique and totally identifiable voice. I have zero knowledge of Di Gi Charat, so all I can say about that is that I love the premise of the x-years later look-in.

All in all, I thought the show was like a nicely prepared afternoon tea at the heroine's shop.
Couldn't agree more after watching the first episode subbed--the animation, the general atmosphere, and the attention to backgrounds reminded me a lot of Snow Fairy Sugar, and while it's not anything incredibly profound, Winter Garden's just a cute, heartwarming story. Definitely better than 99% of the Christmas movies and specials you see on TV this time of year anyway...
Old 2006-12-26, 21:43   Link #20
Kilgamayan
Ow! My nutbladder!
*Fansubber

If I were 14 and that clever I would choose unemployment over a job as degrading as one at McDonalds. >_>
Closed Thread