AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-05-04, 18:48   Link #1
--X--

What is the best anime site out there??

Ok there are a lot of good anime sites on the net. Excluding Suki what is the best one out there?
Old 2004-05-05, 02:36   Link #2
SKoRPioN9x
Om nom nom

I like AnimeNation. Great for buying anime and stuff.
Old 2004-05-05, 06:16   Link #3
AG3
Inactive ex-WoW addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMan
I know a really good one, but I can't post the link because most of the torrents are of licensed anime. (I don't want my account being banned here)

IM me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterFuu
As for legal info goes I visit and post at animenewsnetwork.com
As for downloadz PM
How nice, trying to circumvent the rules like that. I wonder, why is it against the forum rules to ask and post links to illegal material, but allowed to encourage IMs and PMs of such? Or is it allowed...?

I know moderators can't control PMs and such, but at least encouraging distribution of such info via PMs should be dealt with the same way as actual links.

You know, I regularly keep in touch with people via e-mail, discussing things like bishoujo works both in the ways of games and anime. One of them, upon hearing that I frequented AnimeSuki, said I would be "better off not resorting to the advice of so-called fans of anime, who only pirate as much as they can because they don't like to pay for anything". Looks like someone is giving AnimeSuki's true anime fans a bad name around here....
Old 2004-05-05, 11:36   Link #4
Gold_Rogers
Famous Dead Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG3
One of them, upon hearing that I frequented AnimeSuki, said I would be "better off not resorting to the advice of so-called fans of anime, who only pirate as much as they can because they don't like to pay for anything".
I dunno why people have nothing better to do than to insult other people.
Old 2004-05-05, 18:03   Link #5
Secret Squirrel

and what is a "true anime fan?"

Is the true anime fan the kid with rich parents who will go out and buy everything at their little darling's request

Is the true anime fan the guy in a well paid job who regularly buys everything he can, just because he can - and if he doesn't like it, well, it's only money and it's supporting the industry

Is the true anime fan the cleaning lady on a minimum wage, with debts managed by a financial service in a last-ditch bid to avoid legal bankruptcy, who appreciates the work and art of her favourite series, and would love to be in a position to buy the DVDs, if only her child didn;t need feeding?

(btw, all the above are ficticious, characters made up to serve the purpose of this post).

I don't intend to start a debate on the semantics of downloading/distributing licenced material.
It's not allowed on this board, therefore the rule should be respected on this board.
But from the definition above of a "fan" the struggling woman obviously can't be a fan then, because her income does not allow her to be considered a "true fan" of anime
Old 2004-05-05, 21:12   Link #6
AG3
Inactive ex-WoW addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel
and what is a "true anime fan?"
I haven't got a clue, I didn't ask him. Probably someone who shows support for his/her hobby by compensating the creators for their work, thus contribute to more anime being created.

Quote:
Is the true anime fan the kid with rich parents who will go out and buy everything at their little darling's request
I guess that could be a true anime fan, though that would depend upon whether he/she actually enjoyed anime (as opposed to buying for the sake of owning something, anything).

Quote:
Is the true anime fan the guy in a well paid job who regularly buys everything he can, just because he can - and if he doesn't like it, well, it's only money and it's supporting the industry
Read above statement.

Quote:
Is the true anime fan the cleaning lady on a minimum wage, with debts managed by a financial service in a last-ditch bid to avoid legal bankruptcy, who appreciates the work and art of her favourite series, and would love to be in a position to buy the DVDs, if only her child didn;t need feeding?
I doubt this is relevant to all of this. I don't suspect either Richman or MasterFuu of being poor single mothers who needs all their money to feed their starving child (who can't be all that starving if she can afford a PC and a broadband connection to download anime with). Even if they were, that would be no reason to promote piracy of licensed anime on a forum that prohibits such acts.

Quote:
But from the definition above of a "fan" the struggling woman obviously can't be a fan then, because her income does not allow her to be considered a "true fan" of anime
Please reread the reply I got: "who only pirate as much as they can because they don't like to pay for anything".

If I knew a mother who spent her cash on a PC, a broadband connection, and additionally were conducting large-scale piracy of licensed anime while her child was starving, I'd call Social Services.

You see how unreasonable and completely besides the issue your example is? My point is: I frequent this place. I know people who, after browsing the forums for a short time, see enough "warez"-like posts to label just about everyone here as pirates who don't care about the anime industry as long as they can get their fix for free. I mentioned a specific case where this has happened, and I commented on two posts that help promote such a view. This forum prohibits distributing links to licensed anime, and I am wondering if saying "PM me for links to licensed anime" is suddenly allowed here.

Don't go dragging poor mothers with starving children into a forum rules question.

Last edited by AG3; 2004-05-06 at 20:20. Reason: Social Security and Social Services is not the same thing. Duly noted.
Old 2004-05-05, 22:46   Link #7
Aoi Tenshi
3l1te

Send a message via AIM to Aoi Tenshi
AG3-san...why are you making such a big fuss. Clearly, or possibly, it is okay to communicate off the forum. Who can stop them? They are just some anime lovers that need some more anime source.
--X-- just pay no attention to AG3...
Oh...Anime Nation gives you lots of anime...but Anime Corner gives you better deal. www.animecornerstore.com or even http://a1anime.com/index.php.
You can find lots of anie stuff there. You'll find links to good anime sites there too.
Old 2004-05-06, 02:24   Link #8
MasterFuu

AG3 you are right with some points here but you dont know my situation at all so chill. I have anime DVD's and rent them from blockbuster all the time. I have about 15 DVD's and City Hunter DVD set (6DVD's) and they are all legal (not bootlegs). Since you dont know what I PM'ed that dude anyways it could be something not related to anime or legal I just didnt want to post here and you to read it. And I'm not poor hardworking mother lol. but I prefer to download and try out the anime before I spend my hard earned cash on the DVD. What's so wrong with that? It's not that all the anime out there is what like so I download it and see how it is. If I like the anime I buy the DVD. And I bet most people here including you do same. So chill ok. .
Old 2004-05-06, 02:39   Link #9
Secret Squirrel

AG:

You quoted point by point, then stated that it was a "forum rules question?"

so I take it you didn't get as far as the "I don't intend to start a debate on the semantics of downloading/distributing licenced material.
It's not allowed on this board, therefore the rule should be respected on this board
."

So where the questioning of forum rules is, I'm lost as to?. My point was in replytoyour friend's dfinition of fans. And I never mentioned starving people or people on Social Security. I was using extreme examples to illustrate 3 social brackets
(a)spoiled kids (not all kids are obviously, but some are - have topint this outbefore someone starts a rant)
(b)middle-earners with disposable income (and their kids if necessary)
(c)average working people on low wages (and their kids)

I'm (if you actually read the post fully before getting on your soap-box you'll read this stated quite clearly) NOT debating the downloading licensed anime issue, nor the forum rules. So really, your post was a waste of time, as it was nowhere near the mark. What I was objecting to was theperson you quoted as saying users of this forum are "so-called fans" ie. not fans
Old 2004-05-06, 06:44   Link #10
AG3
Inactive ex-WoW addict

Quote:
AG:What I was objecting to was theperson you quoted as saying users of this forum are "so-called fans" ie. not fans
Well, you'll have to argue that with him, not me. After all, I'm being labeled a "so-called" fan too by being here. As for your reply, it wasn't my intention to give soap-box speeches. I was trying to tell you that everyone on AnimeSuki are being branded as pirates by a lot of people, that posts like the ones I quoted aren't helping any, and gave a specific example to illustrate it. It didn't have anything to do with whether or not you have to pay to be an anime fan, it was just a quote from someone who may or may not think that way.

I don't know why you brought it up if you didn't intend to start a discussion about it. It's like posting "Americans are a bunch of bloody warmongers and nothing but war criminals" and then later saying "I don't mean to start a discussion about the USA", because the result is pretty obvious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterFuu
AG3 you are right with some points here but you dont know my situation at all so chill.
Look, I couldn't care less how much anime, warez, mp3s or whatever you download. It doesn't concern me, go ahead and pirate to your heart's content. But I would prefer that people posting on these boards don't openly declare "PM me and I'll tell you were you can get loads of warez which I can't post openly here because of the rules". If you really have to, PM that person with the offer, instead of making a signpost saying "warez links this way ---> [PM]. I hate getting PMs from people begging for links to anime, ero-games, warez, mp3s etc just because they've gotten it into their mind that everyone here accepts it.
Old 2004-05-06, 11:36   Link #11
Kracus
Cute Killer

Send a message via AIM to Kracus
Quote:
Originally Posted by AG3
How Nice...

How nice indeed. I'm not gonna get involved with this tireless argument. With the losing side being those that think it is wrong. I don't care anymore.

All I will say is you can continue sitting on your high horse all you like, but the fact still remains you aren't supporting anyone when you download period. Whether it isn't licensed or if it is. None of the animators in Japan are getting support when you download a new episode that just aired in Japan. It still falls under the same grounds as licensed anime, if I don't like it, I'm not gonna buy it. There is too much crap both American and Japanese, and I refuse to waste my money on it anymore.

If you wanted to really support them, learn to speak japanese and buy the anime directly from Japan.

eh whatever
Old 2004-05-06, 13:36   Link #12
cindialai
Tsukimori

Send a message via MSN to cindialai
Quote:
Originally Posted by --X--
Ok there are a lot of good anime sites on the net. Excluding Suki what is the best one out there?
what do you meet by best anime site? downloading anime or information on anime..

if you want information site then: animenfo

Last edited by xris; 2004-05-06 at 16:18. Reason: Sorry, removed links to sites which contain many licensed series.
Old 2004-05-06, 16:10   Link #13
7thMethuselah

some site which I find very usefull to find information about anime are

www.animeNfo.com
www.animenewsnetwork.com
www.animeonDVD.com
www.manganews.net

Last edited by 7thMethuselah; 2004-05-06 at 16:24.
Old 2004-05-06, 18:17   Link #14
Cammie
Smooth and Curvy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG3

If I knew a mother who spent her cash on a PC, a broadband connection, and additionally were conducting large-scale piracy of licensed anime while her child was starving, I'd call Social Security.
you mean HRS
Old 2004-05-06, 18:18   Link #15
LVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG3
If I knew a mother who spent her cash on a PC, a broadband connection, and additionally were conducting large-scale piracy of licensed anime while her child was starving, I'd call Social Security.
Social Security is the money you get after you retire. Social SERVICES is the state sponsored governmental organization that takes care of children if their parents are found unfit.

Also, I prefer going to some of the fansubbers sites directly, like Kaizoku.
Old 2004-05-06, 18:22   Link #16
sothis

hmm... well if you are looking for anime recommendations (example: i like <this site>, what else would i like), and/or screenshots for a series and good, non-animenfo spoiler/engrish descriptions, i like my site

i try to avoid animenfo as much as possible. if anything, go to anidb.
Old 2004-05-06, 20:19   Link #17
AG3
Inactive ex-WoW addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVO
Social Security is the money you get after you retire. Social SERVICES is the state sponsored governmental organization that takes care of children if their parents are found unfit.
Ah, my bad. We call it "Barnevernet" (roughly translated as The Child Guard or The Child Protection Agency), which handles cases where parents are suspected of not being able to properly take care of their children.
Old 2004-05-09, 00:02   Link #18
Maceart
Doremi-fansubs founder
*Fansubber

www.anidb.net
www.animenfo.com
THEM reviews

great databases and basic reviews
Old 2004-05-09, 00:46   Link #19
Kouji
StrykerX

ANN