AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-06-26, 13:41   Link #2381
ghost_zero5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
because everyone thought Nanoha would tell her. But being the absentmind dad, Nanoha forgot
I wonder about that. I mean if she really forgot. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if Nanoha didn't tell her to see her face when she finds out

But interesting that that mode is actually achieved through Vivio's magic (after certain training). However, I guess it might be only useable combination with her device though (don't needs to be active though). Actually, I am a bit surprised that something like this is possible That is quite uncommon even for this series.
I wonder if Vivio is going to keep her promise. I guess though because it was Nanoha she made the promise with but after all she is still a teenager

Regarding "dad": She is still female though she might be more like a dad to Vivio if you compare her to Fate (btw. how is her name actually written in Japanese?).
Old 2009-06-26, 13:59   Link #2382
TheShinySword
Master of the Shiny Crack
*Author

Send a message via AIM to TheShinySword Send a message via MSN to TheShinySword
I'm sure Nanoha just couldn't think of how to bring it up in a conversation

Nanoha: So how's the weather over there?
Fate: Um... I'm in outer space... in a spaceship
Nanoha: riiiiiiiiigt oh by the way. Viviocannowturnintoanadultatwill.
Fate: What was that last part?
Nanoha: How's the weather again?
Old 2009-06-26, 14:07   Link #2383
Evangelion Xgouki
NERV Personnel
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Evangelion Xgouki Send a message via MSN to Evangelion Xgouki
I'd chalk it up to work. Nanoha being married to her work and Fate off-world for long periods as an Enforcer (plus training Teana on the duties of an Enforcer).
Old 2009-06-26, 14:13   Link #2384
ghost_zero5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShinySword View Post

That is probably the most likely explanation.
I mean really: How the heck would you tell that to someone? Especially, without that person being there directly
Old 2009-06-26, 14:25   Link #2385
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

A few notes
*Used Winterbraid's translation.
*First time doing this, the editing might be a bit rough and the SFX use is not consistent on the first few pages.
*I have not double-checked with someone else regarding correct translation grammar.
*They are in order (check the filenames if else)
*Differing font sizes to fit, some go outside.
*Tips and comments welcome.

http://s455.photobucket.com/albums/q...%20Scanlation/

I will go over it tomorrow and fix a few things I'm aware of.

Goddamn heat is killing me X_X

Old 2009-06-26, 14:29   Link #2386
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Probably a case of 'putting it off until it's too late.'

You also have to remember that Fate is also working away most of the time, on patrol in a dimensional warship. So unlike the other characters, the two probably didn't have much chance to tell her at all even if they wanted to.
Old 2009-06-26, 14:37   Link #2387
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd

Send a message via AIM to itanshi1 Send a message via MSN to itanshi1
Or didn't know how. It's humorous how childish the parents are being made out to be. So fun and cute all around. Love the chapter ^^

Fear Anxiety Doubt is but a fad. The life of a fad depends entirely on the willingness to support it. Difficulty is a choice. Determination is a path. Your next great idea after your destination is the true goal.
Old 2009-06-26, 14:54   Link #2388
BPHaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
because everyone thought Nanoha would tell her. But being the absentmind dad, Nanoha forgot
She didn't tell Fate on purpose, I suppose, so she didn't have to deal with a worrysome spouse, at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Probably a case of 'putting it off until it's too late.'

You also have to remember that Fate is also working away most of the time, on patrol in a dimensional warship. So unlike the other characters, the two probably didn't have much chance to tell her at all even if they wanted to.
That doesn't seem to be this case since when Fate is away she keeps in contact with Nanoha and Vivio "as often as a father working away would like".

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShinySword View Post

lol
That was great

Cuídense y sigan sonriendo
Old 2009-06-26, 15:00   Link #2389
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPHaru View Post
That doesn't seem to be this case since when Fate is away she keeps in contact with Nanoha and Vivio "as often as a father working away would like".
And there are fathers who do so with only the occasional communication. I know you're of the opinion that they keep in contact daily, but that also means they would have been lying to Fate every day. I find that rather questionable for both Nanoha and Vivio to do.

Keeping contact every day means you talk about the details. Keeping contact every other while means you can skim the details and talk globally, its much easier to keep a secret without lying that way. It also makes Nanoha's forgetting to tell Fate more reasonable, if they communicated daily then forgetting to tell her something like this after both of them had decided to let the cat out of the bag is really bordering the edges of being acceptable.

Last edited by Keroko; 2009-06-26 at 15:11.
Old 2009-06-26, 15:11   Link #2390
BPHaru

Quote:
And there are fathers who do so with only the occasional communication. I know you're of the opinion that they keep in contact daily, but that also means they would have been lying to Fate every day. I find that rather questionable for both Nanoha and Vivio to do.

Keeping contact every day means you talk about the details. Keeping contact every other while means you can skim the details and talk globally, its much easier to keep a secret without lying that way.
I don't consider don't talking about a determinate subject lying, except if you're directly asked about it.
If Nanoha didn't want to worry Fate she could simply avoid the details.

Old 2009-06-26, 15:14   Link #2391
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Deceiving, then. It changes little. If they communicated daily then Nanoha forgetting to tell Fate is not something you can easily muffle away. At least having long periods of time between communications would mean they have lots to talk about, and things may get lost in conversation, giving Nanoha's forgetting some credit.
Old 2009-06-26, 15:33   Link #2392
BPHaru

Quote:
Deceiving, then. It changes little. If they communicated daily then Nanoha forgetting to tell Fate is not something you can easily muffle away.
I wouldn't call it deceiving either because she's not doing anything nor lying Fate, I don't think someone as kind as Nanoha could have that kind of values, because she never did something with bad intentions. I didn't say that she went for the route of forgetting it, but it isn't such a big deal either, or at least I think it isn't for Nanoha, but she knew that it would be for Fate, so she could avoid the details of Vivio's training.

Old 2009-06-26, 15:39   Link #2393
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Not talking about details in daily conversations?

... You know what, forget it. If you want to believe Nanoha is so heartless towards Fate that she doesn't even take the effort to remember telling her about Vivio in their 'daily' conversations, then be my guest.
Old 2009-06-26, 15:44   Link #2394
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd

Well, its comedic affect? I mean it went over well the first time, its not like fat e vanished between chapters nor did much time pass by. Maybe in the second scenario she let Vivio explain it.

But yeah it doesn't bode too well for family cohesion if Nanoha and Fate aren't communicating that often. They don't have a 'bad' relationship', it's just not marriage. It appears with fate gone for long amounts of time even being a few months here and there and even with video chatting etc, nanoha and vivio are much closer together.

I'd even wonder about 'their' relationship. Shopping together, they are not quite mother and daughter, its peculiar. How would Nanoha rationalize this? That's without Vivio's take, of course.

Another thing comes to my mind, I recall mothers and daughters both dressed up as pat benatar or something liek that, basically one looking younger while the other looks older. Such a thing might read to me as 'ugly' and 'sickly humorous', but not necesarily. That scene wouldn't make me wonder about 'their' relatipship, but it does continue my wondering about Nanoha's rationalization. She has what, 13 years on her? and when she transforms its more like 10? That is a margin with only a 1 generation gap.

So, they wouldn't just like the same kind of tv shows, music, books, etc. They'd enjoy hunting for the same kind of boyfriend (for example) with only marginal differences. I could even see them hunting the same 'tail' (for example). This is with transformation.

Fear Anxiety Doubt is but a fad. The life of a fad depends entirely on the willingness to support it. Difficulty is a choice. Determination is a path. Your next great idea after your destination is the true goal.

Last edited by itanshi1; 2009-06-26 at 15:55.
Old 2009-06-26, 15:48   Link #2395
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

I don't know about you, but Fate is looking more than a tad hurt in page 10 of this chapter when she finds out even Erio and Caro knew about this. I doubt this was Nanoha's intent, so I can only conclude that it was indeed an accident.
Old 2009-06-26, 15:49   Link #2396
BPHaru

Quote:
Not talking about details in daily conversations?

... You know what, forget it. If you want to believe Nanoha is so heartless towards Fate that she doesn't even take the effort to remember telling her about Vivio in their 'daily' conversations, then be my guest.
It isn't about not telling Fate about Vivio, but about a certain detail of her current training that may be meaningless to Nanoha, but she knows will worry Fate. And it's not heartless either, actually it's the oppose, it's being considerate about a person she loves.
I have daily conversation with my mother too for at least half hour, and I don't tell her about things that I know will worry her. And that's not because I'm heartless, but because I love her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itanshi1 View Post
But yeah it doesn't bode too well for family cohesion if nanoha and fate aren't communicating that often.
Well, according to the author they are communicating "as often as a father working away would like", so you could suppose that it's daily, or at least often.

Quote:
I don't know about you, but Fate is looking more than a tad hurt in page 10 of this chapter when she finds out even Erio and Caro knew about this. I doubt this was Nanoha's intent, so I can only conclude that it was indeed an accident.
You can't always predict how others will react, even if they are very close to you, or this may be just a thing that was carried away as you proposed earlier.

Cuídate y sigue sonriendo
Old 2009-06-26, 15:58   Link #2397
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd

I'll reply here, others relax please.

Spoiler for haru quote and responces:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salaryman

I'll take keroko's updated POV, its a comedic accident of omission. Fate was gone so long she missed everything. I do not know if they had many if any communication via video transmissions etc.

Old 2009-06-26, 16:09   Link #2398
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by itanshi1 View Post
I'll take keroko's updated POV, its a comedic accident of omission. Fate was gone so long she missed everything. I do not know if they had many if any communication via video transmissions etc.
Oh they had them, but the used words were the rather vague 'as often as a father working away from home' which, really, could mean anything from every day to maybe once a month depending on the job.

Haru's 'not telling Fate in order to avoid worrying her' argument would make sense, if not for Vivio's surprise in the former chapter concerning Fate's surprise, indicating that they did have every intent to tell her, but just never got around to do it. This is rather questionable when communicating daily.
Old 2009-06-26, 16:14   Link #2399
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd

It helps my view that they are all still 'childish'. I mean at 25, she is college age like myself and everyone I know. I know well how childish my friends can be from drama llamas to backstabbing, to raunchy humor. Even so, this childishness is of a level akin to the rest of the cuteness Vivio conveys. It fits in with the atmosphere the comic gives off.

So, yeah of course its not quite the same sort of childishness from my college to their lifestyle.

Spoiler for My opinion as of now as to their relationship:

Old 2009-06-26, 16:17   Link #2400
Evangelion Xgouki
NERV Personnel
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Evangelion Xgouki Send a message via MSN to Evangelion Xgouki
There's also factoring in that when a description is given comparing to a job or role, it is being compared to the Japanese equivalent.
Closed Thread

Tags
adventure, manga, nanoha, seinen