Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2014-06-23, 13:00   Link #781
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuitUp View Post
25 fouls comitted by Holland, and only one yellow card, to a player that commited at least 7 fouls of those 25, coupled with the penalties not given to Chile... Yeah, ref is completely neutral
I think Brazil fancied to avoid Netherlands, so it will be easier for them if Netherlands topping the group. Easy decision for the ref to see which team they should side with

Typical WC stuffs, favour the host
Old 2014-06-23, 13:02   Link #782
Bri

Catenaccio à la hollandaise.

Referee was quick to stop the game which helped the defending team. The aggressive pressing by Chile was nullified by the Dutch man-marking on midfield. Not a pretty game but interesting from a tactical pov.

The amount of diving by Chile to gain a penalty in this game was comical.
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-23, 13:05   Link #783
itisjustme

What I the refereeing was good, the ref wasn't impressed with all that diving/contesting and rightfully so.
itisjustme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-23, 13:06   Link #784
ChampDream
Alive

For me the match between Chile and Netherlands was a little boring until the goal, specially since the other match had goals already.
Old 2014-06-23, 13:08   Link #785
Kakurin
大佐

I still don't know what to make of the Dutch. They obviously are a very good counterattacking team that has to be reckoned with and van Gaal has them very disciplined on the defensive side. But I think they are overhyped as of now. Their match against Spain could easily have gone awry if David Silva had scored the 2:0 prior to van Persie's equaliser and they struggled mightily against Australia. In the match just now they held back as they didn't need the win, but still won which is a sign of quality, but they weren't all too convincing. I think they'll do well against Croatia. Mexico could spell them more trouble with their disciplined defending, but I don't think they'll encounter serious resistance prior to the semis. And depending on the drawing they could have a cakewalk to the finals without being tested much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri View Post
The amount of diving by Chile in this game was comical.
I'm impressed by Robben's diving. Goes down so forceful and still draws the call.
Old 2014-06-23, 13:13   Link #786
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigUp View Post
I still don't know what to make of the Dutch. They obviously are a very good counterattacking team that has to be reckoned with and van Gaal has them very disciplined on the defensive side. But I think they are overhyped as of now. Their match against Spain could easily have gone awry if David Silva had scored the 2:0 prior to van Persie's equaliser and they struggled mightily against Australia. In the match just now they held back as they didn't need the win, but still won which is a sign of quality, but they weren't all too convincing. I think they'll do well against Croatia. Mexico could spell them more trouble with their disciplined defending, but I don't think they'll encounter serious resistance prior to the semis. And depending on the drawing they could have a cakewalk to the finals without being tested much.

I'm impressed by Robben's diving. Goes down so forceful and still draws the call.
This ^

I means Chile was going down easily, but that was typical South American playing. The problem is Robben also did, but he got decisions his way

Don't think the call was fair on this match. But like mentioned, outcomes will affect the host, so kinda expected
Old 2014-06-23, 13:28   Link #787
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigUp View Post
I still don't know what to make of the Dutch. They obviously are a very good counterattacking team that has to be reckoned with and van Gaal has them very disciplined on the defensive side.
It's not a very talented squad, probably the worst ever send to a World Cup by the Netherlands. It's basically a reinforced Feyenoord team. A club that hasn't been able to even qualify for the Europa league in recent years.

However Van Gaal is a world class coach and he has got his tactics spot on most of the time. Many of the better sides are coached by significantly worse managers.
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-23, 13:40   Link #788
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Why are people always quick to blame the referee whenever a team seems to get a lot of favors? I didn't really see anything that makes me believe he was favoring my team (or the other, for that matter). Would you rather have seen the ones that reffed us before, the ones who kept calling the wrong fouls, and awarded to wrong penalties?

He was there when he needed to be, wasn't quick on the draw and was only a few times late calling offside when Chile was very close to our goal. And as far as I could tell, he saw through all the dives, which was impressive, to say the least.

Also, I found the match quite intense, not at all as boring as some people claim it was. Neither team sat on their asses and played to win, and though the Dutch defense left a bit to be desired at times, not to mention the fact that we made a few terrible mistakes controlling the ball, giving Chile way too many opportunities, we made a swift comeback in the second half and kept pressing on, wearing the Chileans down.

Also, it's funny how LvG always got criticized for being a know-it-all in the Dutch press, but he is really putting his money where his mouth is, showing the world that he's definitely not just all talk and no action.
Old 2014-06-23, 14:25   Link #789
Blaat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Fire View Post
Also, I found the match quite intense, not at all as boring as some people claim it was.
These types of games are only interesting if you're supporter of one of the teams, for neutrals though, not so much.
Quote:
25 fouls comitted by Holland, and only one yellow card, to a player that commited at least 7 fouls of those 25, coupled with the penalties not given to Chile... Yeah, ref is completely neutral
Yeah the Dutch foul a lot, in fact they they committed the most fouls of all the teams in the cup.
Old 2014-06-23, 15:26   Link #790
Der Langrisser
Valkyrie pilot

Cameroon evens the score, 1-1 against Brazil.
Der Langrisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-23, 15:37   Link #791
milan kyuubi
Call me MK! :)
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Langrisser View Post
Cameroon evens the score, 1-1 against Brazil.
And Brazil scores another one!
Old 2014-06-23, 16:08   Link #792
DarkJak2050

Sco-o-o-o-o-ore!!

3-1, Brazil (50').
DarkJak2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-23, 16:32   Link #793
itisjustme

Mexico scores!

Really telling that almost every goal I've seen came from set pieces or fast breaks.
itisjustme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-23, 16:38   Link #794
Kakurin
大佐

So it's going to be Netherlands against Mexicos. I expect the Dutch individual quality to come through, but it should be an interesting match. The Mexicans can defend well enough to stay in the game.
Old 2014-06-23, 16:44   Link #795
DarkJak2050

Sco-o-o-o-o-ore!!

[Plays Chicago Blackhawks Goal Horn]

4-1, Brazil (84')

That pretty much wraps up the top spot of Group A for Brazil.
Old 2014-06-23, 16:50   Link #796
Kakurin
大佐

Well, just think back to the opener. We got robbed of a Netherlands-Brazil matchup due to two blatant referee errors against Croatia.
Old 2014-06-23, 16:54   Link #797
DarkJak2050

Now that Groups A and B are done,

2 Match-Ups in the Round of 16 are set:

Netherlands and Mexico

Brazil and Chile

How are the other match-ups going to look?
Old 2014-06-23, 17:01   Link #798
ChampDream
Alive

with the two match finish I'm excite to see Brazil vs Chile and Mexico vs Netherlands, those two matches seem that are really going to be good.
Old 2014-06-23, 17:37   Link #799
SuitUp
¡Gracias Totales!

I doubt Mexico can stop RVP and Robben, neither Marquez nor Rodriguez have the speed or natural instinct to stop players like that, if today they managed to stop Rakitic and Modric was due to a combination of the croatians been in horrible shape, a good and concious effort of Herrera (who after this WC will most likely find himself requested by a club larger than Porto) and dumb luck.
Today Mexico indeed player better than Croatia, but if you look closely at the little glimpses of football Croatia managed to give us (Rakitic with that back heel assist, Perisic dribbling 3 mexican defenders, Modric dribbling 2 defenders in the border of the mexican area, etc) you can see that in a good day Croatia would most likely beat Mexico.
SuitUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-23, 18:01   Link #800
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
I doubt Mexico can stop RVP and Robben, neither Marquez nor Rodriguez have the speed or natural instinct to stop players like that, if today they managed to stop Rakitic and Modric was due to a combination of the croatians been in horrible shape, a good and concious effort of Herrera (who after this WC will most likely find himself requested by a club larger than Porto) and dumb luck.
Today Mexico indeed player better than Croatia, but if you look closely at the little glimpses of football Croatia managed to give us (Rakitic with that back heel assist, Perisic dribbling 3 mexican defenders, Modric dribbling 2 defenders in the border of the mexican area, etc) you can see that in a good day Croatia would most likely beat Mexico.
Yeah, yeah, there is always the "better day Croatia would win", that's exactly what they were saying before the match "With all due respect to Ochoa, Mandzukic has scored against better goalkeepers than him." ""Mexico are a great team, they have shown a high level football, they have an aggressive style, but we are a better team and we have better individuals than Mexico". All talking but in the match the goals speaked diferent.

And yeah, it is really unfai to claim that Mexico won just because Croatia had a "bad day", with all do respect there is no bad day. What really happened is Mexico played better, fair and simple and the final score tells that. And this is the second time Mexico beats Croatia in a world cup (Korea - Japan 2002 Mexico defeated Croatia 1-0). So, Mexico goes against Holland, Croatia goes home, and this is fair and square, sorry.