Old 2008-04-01, 14:35   Link #81
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveCrayons View Post
This sounds like an april fools joke.
If this had appeared today, we might agree with you

But the announcement was made in the middle of March and there are information links. Now do we think it'll *fly*? Dunno, til we see the gritty details.
Old 2008-04-01, 14:47   Link #82
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Anyone what BOST tv pricing structure is?

If the 2 shows are even mildly entertaining, i might consider paying for the DRM free download.
Old 2008-04-01, 16:38   Link #83
Aird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
Anyone what BOST tv pricing structure is?

If the 2 shows are even mildly entertaining, i might consider paying for the DRM free download.
They use a point system. $1.99 (100 points) per episode. Season pass for The Tower of DRUAGA it is $19.90 (1000 points). Season pass for BLASSREITER is $39.80 (2000 points). You get a slight discount for buying all the episodes for a series at once.
Aird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-01, 17:08   Link #84
bayoab

Crunchyroll will be using the pay-what-you-want model. This is going to be very interesting...
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-01, 17:15   Link #85
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab View Post
Crunchyroll will be using the pay-what-you-want model. This is going to be very interesting...
I wasn't going to have anything to do with crunchyroll but think i am going to change my mind. I am thinking 0.99 per ep should be fair for a DRM free HQ download.
Old 2008-04-01, 19:37   Link #86
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

But no one's said that this is what Crunchyroll will offer. The only site that has said upfront that they have a DRM free copy to sell is BOST TV.
Old 2008-04-01, 20:47   Link #87
LR2

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
But no one's said that this is what Crunchyroll will offer. The only site that has said upfront that they have a DRM free copy to sell is BOST TV.
It's not a rumor anymore...

From http://www.gdh.co.jp/english/news/20080331.html

Quote:
...in April, GDH will test an open-pricing system with one of the distribution websites, Crunchyroll.com.
LR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-02, 00:08   Link #88
karasuma

Great. I know I will pay something. Gonzo is such a quality production studio that I have to give them something. I just don't know how much yet...
karasuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-02, 07:05   Link #89
D a m i e n
permanentely bored

Send a message via ICQ to D a m i e n
if gonzo's english and grammar is at the same level as the general quality of their show i ll stay away from any gonzo released subs and woudlnt dare touch it even with a 9meter pole.
D a m i e n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-02, 08:49   Link #90
Junpaku

I'm pitching in something, but I will compare videos first and watch from a provider with the best video quality. YouTube with &fmt=18 tag isn't bad, it's only in low resolution, Crunchyroll can have high quality streaming, I haven't seen BOST TV's yet. I imagine the translation will be the same with everyone.
Junpaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-02, 08:49   Link #91
Slice of Life
eyewitness

Is there any info who they've hired for the subbing task? A trained translator and native speaker of English? I fear it's just some dude who happens to speak English as second language. Then again, it can't be worse than some fansubs I've seen.

Too bad it's Gonzo. I really want to support this idea. But most of the Gonzo shows I start I drop after a few eps and I won't force myself to watch something just to help promoting a new distribution scheme. Druaga is Gonzo and game-based. One of the most infelicitous combinations I can think of.

But I will try to think positive and join up at BOST, just in case.
Old 2008-04-02, 09:31   Link #92
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post
Is there any info who they've hired for the subbing task? A trained translator and native speaker of English? I fear it's just some dude who happens to speak English as second language. Then again, it can't be worse than some fansubs I've seen.

Too bad it's Gonzo. I really want to support this idea. But most of the Gonzo shows I start I drop after a few eps and I won't force myself to watch something just to help promoting a new distribution scheme. Druaga is Gonzo and game-based. One of the most infelicitous combinations I can think of.

But I will try to think positive and join up at BOST, just in case.
Supposedly the subs are done by the various streaming content providers. BOST already said that they were handling the subbing themselves for their streams, so either those will also be used for crunchyroll and youtube or CR will also produce their own subs (which I think they are capable of doing).

all we know for certain is the BOST is making the subs for their own streams and their previous work was good to excellent fansub quality.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-02, 09:43   Link #93
orion

I somehow doubt that YouTube Japan is going to sub anything. I'm betting that everybody is getting the same sub from GONZO for consistency's sake.
Old 2008-04-02, 22:18   Link #94
karasuma

What I would like to know is how much ad revenue an average anime eps on Fuji TV generated? Take that and divide by total viewership and you got the number generated by each Japanese viewer.

That is TV station + anime studio's combined revenue. What is happening here is we are taking the TV station out of the equation. Whatever left is the fair amount we should be charged?
karasuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-03, 08:03   Link #95
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by karasuma View Post
What I would like to know is how much ad revenue an average anime eps on Fuji TV generated? Take that and divide by total viewership and you got the number generated by each Japanese viewer.

That is TV station + anime studio's combined revenue. What is happening here is we are taking the TV station out of the equation. Whatever left is the fair amount we should be charged?
For any anime that airs late night (which is most of them), the ad revenue is NEGATIVE. In fact, the anime companies PAY the tv stations to air them, because it increases DVD sales.
This includes shows like Clannad, true tears, and basically everything that's not shounen jump.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-03, 09:36   Link #96
orion

I wonder if "pay-what-you-want" is not a tolerable method up on CR. They call it a "donation" instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchyroll (Shinji)
i wanted to share some more news with you about The Tower of DRUAGA -the Aegis of URUK- and BLASSREITER premiering right here on friday and saturday. its been really cool working with gonzo to get you guys the coolest anime right after Japan gets it on TV we got all this cool stuff planned ^_^ we're going to have the new episodes streaming for free with some ads that make money for the show's creators. if you guys really like it, you can make a donation and you get to download a high quality version to play on your computer and keep - the best part is you guys get to decide how much you want to donate to support this project! we made some cool badges, including the FIRST ever animated badges, for donators. we'll also have a bunch of other cool stuff for donators like PSP and iPod versions to download and even posters!
Old 2008-04-03, 09:46   Link #97
cyth
Banned

Despite all CR criticism, their PR department really knows how to pander to youth. Props to that.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-03, 10:19   Link #98
orion

Yep, I give them credit for that too. I wonder what the "donation" tier structure will be if they have one.
Old 2008-04-03, 19:24   Link #99
Slice of Life
eyewitness

It took me three attempts to notice the "download a high quality version" bit. Probably because I stopped reading on the first and second attempt at the 500th iteration of the word "cool". So much for good PR.

In other words, BOST is not the only download option. Good to know. I still doubt Gonzo's story telling skills but let's wait and see ...
Old 2008-04-04, 13:28   Link #100
bayoab

Note on this:
Youtube and CR seem to be putting them up 2 hours after they air in Japan. BostTV is putting them up 1 hour after their air in Japan.

CR has them available for download on the pay what you want system, but 0 is not a legitimate value. 0.00 is the smallest value allowed.

All of them are subtitled by BostTV and GDH. The opening and ending songs are not subtitled (probably rights issue).

Last edited by bayoab; 2008-04-04 at 14:47.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote