AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2004-06-26, 17:20   Link #1
bubblehead

Send a message via Yahoo to bubblehead
Question Can I post links to AMVS?

An AMV is an anime music video. So, for example, would I be allow to post a llink to a couple of AMV torrents I know of in the "Torrent Submissions" forum. I know someone posted one already.

Note: the AMVs on the torrents aren't mine. For instance I know of a couple of torrents of the DDR Projects 1-3, which are really hard to find otherwise.

I also realize that AMVs are illegal, but then so are fansubs, and to my mind, at least, AMVs are at least as ethical as "ethical" fansubs (especially when the people making the AMVs buy legitimate American or Japanese DVD or VHS releases and use those).

I just want to know where this forum stands, officially, on AMVs. I won't make a big deal if they aren't allowed, but I wasn't sure based on the rules. Sorry if I'm overlooking something obvious.

Thanks for your help.
bubblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-26, 18:16   Link #2
GipFace

My guess is that you can post them in Torrent Submissions, but they won't be added. If Animesuki did accept AMVs, then they'd have to put all of Maria's AMVs (from Choco Fansubs) up ...
GipFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-26, 18:40   Link #3
Thany
Unfair

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblehead
An AMV is an anime music video. So, for example, would I be allow to post a llink to a couple of AMV torrents I know of in the "Torrent Submissions" forum. I know someone posted one already.

Note: the AMVs on the torrents aren't mine. For instance I know of a couple of torrents of the DDR Projects 1-3, which are really hard to find otherwise.

I also realize that AMVs are illegal, but then so are fansubs, and to my mind, at least, AMVs are at least as ethical as "ethical" fansubs (especially when the people making the AMVs buy legitimate American or Japanese DVD or VHS releases and use those).

I just want to know where this forum stands, officially, on AMVs. I won't make a big deal if they aren't allowed, but I wasn't sure based on the rules. Sorry if I'm overlooking something obvious.

Thanks for your help.
Well it sounds like similar to sound track to me, so I guess it would be not allowed
Old 2004-06-26, 19:21   Link #4
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

You are absolutely allowed to post AMVs in our forum as long as they are not simply rips. We allow them because of the hard work that it takes to remix the anime and set it to music. We also allow them because the anime companies encourage such work. We overlook the fact that the music is being copied illicitly for the same reason that we overlook the illegalities in a fansub.

There are already a number of AMVs posted in varous threads in this forum. I believe that there is a thread devoted to Naruto AMVs, but most of those aren't torrented.

Feel free to submit these torrents even though we won't be adding them to AnimeSuki.com

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-26, 19:51   Link #5
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
Feel free to submit these torrents even though we won't be adding them to AnimeSuki.com
Then again, why not add them to AnimeSuki.com under a page for FMVs only? It won't make the site more illegal, it's just more work for the Admins to include the torrents in the Torrents Submission Forums manually. Seeing the torrent stats of AMV would be awesome...
_Sin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-26, 21:36   Link #6
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

I looove AMVs! The best thing is, that you dont have to wait so long to get them. You spot a nice AMV title, click on it and youre ready to gon within minutes.
I would like to see them on animesuki.
If thats impossible we should create a gerneral AMV thread... in the music forum maybe?
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-26, 22:30   Link #7
bubblehead

Send a message via Yahoo to bubblehead
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhomochevsky
I looove AMVs! The best thing is, that you dont have to wait so long to get them. You spot a nice AMV title, click on it and youre ready to gon within minutes.
I would like to see them on animesuki.
If thats impossible we should create a gerneral AMV thread... in the music forum maybe?
...hey, I don't know about any of that, but www.animemusicvideos.org is probably the best place on the 'net for AMVs, and it specializes in that, plus you CAN see some stats there... so if you didn't know about it already, go there and join!

...though most of the downloads are oridinary ones, not Bittorrent or any other such program.

So, I don't think animesuki really needs AMVs when "the Org" (animemusicvideos.org) takes care of them so well, down to free hosting and faqs and guides on how to make them.

Although, I wouldn't object to them appearing here. I only wanted to post the one torrent because the AMVs in question are awesome, if really long, and more people here have Bittorrent (obviously) than people there.
bubblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-27, 07:13   Link #8
xris
Just call me Ojisan

I would like to remind people the purpose of the Torrent Submissions forum

Torrent Submissions
For posting any new anime torrents you find or created yourself.

It's meant for anime fansub, so I would request that the forum isn't used to regularly post such things as AMVs.

But I fully agree with what bubblehead just said...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblehead
...hey, I don't know about any of that, but www.animemusicvideos.org is probably the best place on the 'net for AMVs, and it specializes in that, plus you CAN see some stats there... so if you didn't know about it already, go there and join!

...though most of the downloads are oridinary ones, not Bittorrent or any other such program.

So, I don't think animesuki really needs AMVs when "the Org" (animemusicvideos.org) takes care of them so well, down to free hosting and faqs and guides on how to make them.

Although, I wouldn't object to them appearing here. I only wanted to post the one torrent because the AMVs in question are awesome, if really long, and more people here have Bittorrent (obviously) than people there.
As stated, if you are interested in AMVs at all, go to the org.

I have no objection to the occasional AMV torrent being posted (as bubblehead did). It really depends just how many such torrents there are, if they are relatively infrequent (which does seem to be the case), there should be no problems if groups (such as Choco Fansubs) do post AMV torrents here as well. But as stated by NoSanninWa it's very unlikely we will ever list them on AnimeSuki.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote