AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: Suzumiya Haruhi (2009) - Episode 05 Rating
Perfect 10 54 13.99%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 20 5.18%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 23 5.96%
7 out of 10 : Good 25 6.48%
6 out of 10 : Average 27 6.99%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 16 4.15%
4 out of 10 : Poor 10 2.59%
3 out of 10 : Bad 8 2.07%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 7 1.81%
1 out of 10 : Painful 196 50.78%
Voters: 386. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-09, 15:19   Link #261
W-General
Bushinsoukou
*Scanlator

Send a message via ICQ to W-General Send a message via AIM to W-General Send a message via MSN to W-General
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takamura Mamoru View Post
Why make the first Season with so much love only to give us the finger after that?

Something has gone utterly wrong here. I realize it isn't KyoAni's fault really, I just wonder what exactly happened.

We can look at it two ways:
1) We don't know why, but whatever it is, it upset Yamakan so much that he quit KyoAni.
or
2) It sucks exactly because there's no more Yamakan to be the creative mind behind Haruhi. The rest of them at KyoAni doesn't know how to make Haruhi good again and they mistook trolling as creativity when there's no correlation between the two.
Old 2009-07-09, 15:19   Link #262
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Quote:
but, still, WHY?
Why not? It is the repeating episode, so no matter which group did the work they could still get it shown on screen no matter how many they actually made. And it would still be "correct". The only thing that need to be changed would be the dialogue of what loop it is. Aside from the first time and the last time the remaining X number would be the "art test reels", for all practical accounts. Thus they could get a lot of material "filler" if they ever needed it.

I'm not sure who's pulling the strings, but when it comes to Haruhi, whoever is pulling knows the material and uses it to their full advantage. Using specific days for marketing stunts (7/7/07 and 12/18), waiting "three years" before reairing the show. Listing Haruhi as the "Ultra Director". Looping "Endless Eight" into a 5 or more episode arc to increase the amount of despair. Pulling some things in Haruhi-chan. One wonders what else they will try to do.
Old 2009-07-09, 15:20   Link #263
jonli
JONLIの憂'

Quote:
Originally Posted by W-General View Post
We can look at it two ways:
1) We don't know why, but whatever it is, it upset Yamakan so much that he quit KyoAni.
or
2) It sucks exactly because there's no more Yamakan to be the creative mind behind Haruhi. The rest of them at KyoAni doesn't know how to make Haruhi good again and they mistook trolling as creativity when there's no correlation between the two.
Wait what? I'm oblivious to this Yamakan thing.

Can you elaborate?
Old 2009-07-09, 15:22   Link #264
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by W-General View Post
Yamakan had little to do with Haruhi other than Episode 00, Live Alive, although those were easily some of the best and most creative episodes. And the ED, but we all know how awesome that was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
I'm not sure who's pulling the strings, but when it comes to Haruhi, whoever is pulling knows the material and uses it to their full advantage. Using specific days for marketing stunts (7/7/07 and 12/18), waiting "three years" before reairing the show. Listing Haruhi as the "Ultra Director". Looping "Endless Eight" into a 5 or more episode arc to increase the amount of despair. Pulling some things in Haruhi-chan. One wonders what else they will try to do.
I'm still convinced they actually have no idea what they're doing.

But I can still hope. Barely.
Old 2009-07-09, 15:26   Link #265
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Two possibilities exist: Either they'll end this season unceremoniously and that'll be the only conclusion we can come to, or they'll do something incredible that explains everything and we'll be all "...oh".
The only way I can see something like this happening is if it turns out this season is longer than they originally implied, in order to make room for other arcs when considering all the endless 8 episodes.

...but that still doesn't really explain why their doing this. All the endless 8 episodes don't make them money on broadcast. The best the endless 8 episodes could do is not hurt DVD sales...so why bother increasing the overall series expense by producing 5+ profitless episodes?
Old 2009-07-09, 15:26   Link #266
Dakota
disregard that (″°-°)ﺩ-

Send a message via AIM to Dakota Send a message via MSN to Dakota
Update on subs: Mazui is dropping Haruhi, and picking up Spice and Wolf. Goddamn.
Old 2009-07-09, 15:27   Link #267
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Update on subs: Mazui is dropping Haruhi, and picking up Spice and Wolf. Goddamn.
Not that surprising, since each episode is essentially the exact thing over and over again.
Old 2009-07-09, 15:27   Link #268
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
...but that still doesn't really explain why their doing this. All the endless 8 episodes don't make them money on broadcast. The best the endless 8 episodes could do is not hurt DVD sales...so why bother increasing the overall series expense by producing 5+ profitless episodes?
Like I said, the "...oh" factor.

If I'm right and not being too optimistic (SHOCK ) there's something we're overlooking and that they're going to do, and it will be awesome.

Or they could just be idiots. We'll see in a few weeks.

Actually, let's see. Broadcast for this would be ending early October, right? And they still have the last four originals to do. So, we'll see in at most early September.
Old 2009-07-09, 15:28   Link #269
Thingle
Banned

This must be the time someone must decapitate that God wannabee with a left high kick and snap those guys out of her evil loop.
Old 2009-07-09, 15:31   Link #270
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Like I said, the "...oh" factor.

If I'm right and not being too optimistic (SHOCK ) there's something we're overlooking and that they're going to do, and it will be awesome.

Or they could just be idiots. We'll see in a few weeks.
I suppose they may at the very least be hoping to pull off some kind of giganto mind fuck that will blow everyone else way. Because quite frankly, greed is a much stronger force than evil.

The world would be a terrifying place if the desire to do evil became stronger than the desire to acquire wealth.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2009-07-09 at 15:39. Reason: Don't post random youtube links that have little relevance to the conversation
Old 2009-07-09, 15:31   Link #271
jonli
JONLIの憂'

Quote:
The only way I can see something like this happening is if it turns out this season is longer than they originally implied, in order to make room for other arcs when considering all the endless 8 episodes.

Well from my study of animation. The Endless Eight episodes cost a lot less to produce.

They use a lot of still shots, and the storyboards and everything else are literally the same.

So it is actually still a risk they're taking, but not as big and wasteful as you think it is. Companies take risks all the time, a recent example would be Sony and the Playstation 3. Each Playstation 3 is selling at a loss still and they STILL haven't dominated the market yet. What they're doing isn't stupid, it's a risk of investment that they take.

KyoAni here is taking an unusal risk, seems like they're doing this for creativity, publicity and fame. Just to get themselves back on the "wow it's them!" state.
Old 2009-07-09, 15:35   Link #272
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
lol the new poll should be:

How long will the Endless Episode 8 end? (well after the discovery of Kyon that it will not end ever)

3-
4-
5-
6-
7-
8-
Never ever-

But I guess people now here will vote "never ever"...

KyoAni, we cannot wait until September... you too Kyon.
Old 2009-07-09, 15:37   Link #273
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
I suppose they may at the very least be hoping to pull off some kind of giganto mind fuck that will blow everyone else way.
See. If they're abusing the loops like this, they need to do something like the last two episodes of Eva.

They totally need to have next episode involve Yuki killing everyone. And it still not ending the loop. THAT'S how you do a time loop story. GRIMDARK.

What I would have done is started off happy, like they did, and gotten darker and darker and more violent until the last episode. That would have been glorious and I doubt anyone would be complaining.

But no. They give us this instead.

Sigh...
Old 2009-07-09, 15:37   Link #274
DJLowrider
Ahou ga

Forgive me if I don't read through the rest of the thread, but I must be in the minority here, if not utterly alone. To be quite honest, I'm kind of enjoying the different takes on the Endless Eight story. Sure I'd like to get on to the other stories that are yet to come, but I'm certainly not in any hurry to do so. As has been said, at least they're not recycling animation to do this. They're not even recycling recorded voice acting either.

As for those concerned about episode count, I'm betting this all counts as one episode in the final analysis. If I end up being wrong, though, I'll gladly admit it.

The episode definitely had a K-ON! feel to the animation. Haruhi's facial expressions made her look like Yui. And I really liked the kimonos Haruhi picked out for herself, Mikuru and Yuki this time around. 8/10 episode for me.
Old 2009-07-09, 15:39   Link #275
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Probably this episode will become the new internet meme:

From Nice Boat

to

Nice Episode or Nice Endless Eight Trolling (N.E.E.T.) and I Hate Kyon Fandom
Old 2009-07-09, 15:40   Link #276
Eak
One angry cloud.

I'll stick around when it comes to watching Haruhi.. by this series lost me in terms of DVD sales.
Old 2009-07-09, 15:40   Link #277
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

I kinda of thought the same thing to...but I think they're dragging this way beyond good taste.
Old 2009-07-09, 15:41   Link #278
Voitan

Quote:
See. If they're abusing the loops like this, they need to do something like the last two episodes of Eva.

They totally need to have next episode involve Yuki killing everyone. And it still not ending the loop. THAT'S how you do a time loop story. GRIMDARK.

What I would have done is started off happy, like they did, and gotten darker and darker and more violent until the last episode. That would have been glorious and I doubt anyone would be complaining.

But no. They give us this instead.

Sigh...
I would've gone with sexier, and sexier. Give those Yuki/Mikuru/Haruhi shippers something to pee themselves happy with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
Probably this episode will become the new internet meme:

From Nice Boat

to

Nice Episode or Nice Endless Eight Trolling (N.E.E.T.) and I Hate Kyon Fandom
I claim "Nice Airplane".
Old 2009-07-09, 15:42   Link #279
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Huh, what happened? 79 painful votes. I'm mortified......
Old 2009-07-09, 15:44   Link #280
DJLowrider
Ahou ga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Huh, what happened? 79 painful votes. I'm mortified......
Spoiler for Spoiler'd just in case, since it still hasn't been subbed yet:
Closed Thread