AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations > Custom Requests

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-03-18, 08:48   Link #21
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
^Chill out, man.
I can't help but bash my favorite pinata .

Quote:
Yes, yes it is.
Hey as someone who can enjoy The World Only God Knows, I beg to differ!

Quote:
Uh, no. Everyone in Japan* knew full well it was going to be a cute girls' comedy show. Its source material tell everyone that much: a 4-koma manga with a group of girls as main characters. The very nature of the yonkoma format is that it's about jokes. The anime adaptation reflects that to a large degree.

*excluding the non-anime watching majority
Well to me it was false advertising. Look, I type in k-on! in google, get wikipedia as the first link. What is their synopsis?

Spoiler for For space mainly:

I mean this pretty much describes to me what I felt it was going to be. I didn't expect Beck, because I never even saw Beck at that time. My expectations were betrayed. I wasn't completely familiar with what 4-coma was at the time, nor did I realize how fluff the plot lines and plot points would be. It completely betrayed expectations because what the only information I had was pictures of girls with instruments and synopsis much like these which to this day, I still feel are complete false advertising.

Quote:
So no they weren't doing any of the "false advertising" you accused them of. Rather, it feels like you go into the show pretending to expect BECK just so you could get angry and look down on all the "shallow" fans when it doesn't turn out to be BECK or Evangelion or something.

In fact I'd say KyoAni improved on the franchise greatly especially in the second season (which I just watched) where they moved further away from the source material's style and created a slice-of-life show with a much more natural pacing for television than the first season was. I, who admittedly was not entirely endeared by Mio's bullied whimpers and Yui's occasionally overbearing comedic idiocy in the first season, was quite impressed.

TL;DR -- go watch it OP, but make sure you're in the mood for a strawberry cake because you're getting strawberry cakes, not steaks and definitely not Paella.
I opted out of the second season because I didn't want to be that poster bitching and moaning every episode about something I already knew I disliked out of respect .

But really, while I think the show is completely overrated, I don't get mad at anyone for liking it.
Old 2011-03-18, 09:12   Link #22
I_am_Kami
Disabled By Request

ummm, So far its allright. The characters are adorable though but it feels like nothing is happening at all. I know there is no plot but its like "cmon do something fun". Im on ep 4. I find everyone adorable but mio and yui are on top.
Old 2011-03-18, 09:13   Link #23
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

^Nothing much will happen after this either. Well, things happen (concerts, field trips, summer camps and so on) but there won't ever be a genuine plot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
I can't help but bash my favorite pinata .
Bashing is fine and all, but it is a suggestions thread, so I considered it imperative to point out that your opinion is heavily colored in comparison to many other people.

I wouldn't actually step in to ruin your fun otherwise.

Quote:
I mean this pretty much describes to me what I felt it was going to be. I didn't expect Beck, because I never even saw Beck at that time. My expectations were betrayed. I wasn't completely familiar with what 4-coma was at the time, nor did I realize how fluff the plot lines and plot points would be. It completely betrayed expectations because what the only information I had was pictures of girls with instruments and synopsis much like these which to this day, I still feel are complete false advertising.
That you strongly dislike the show to the point of calling it garbage because of the discrepancy of what the show is and what you personally want out of is, however, something the OP ought to be aware of. Let's say K-On! is a strawberry cake; let's also say you don't like strawberry cake all that much and moreover you were craving for lasagna at the time so you really didn't have a good experience with it. That's okay, but what should be explained in a suggestions thread is that K-On! is a strawberry cake and, therefore, if the OP likes strawberry cakes, the OP should go ahead and enjoy it. Not that because you gagged on the cake, it's garbage for everyone.

That sort of epic pinata fun fits perfectly fine in series discussion threads, generic anime forum threads, etc., but a suggestions thread is a special kind of thread where contributors should think from the OP's point of view first, their own second. [I did recommend a lot of works that I personally quite disliked if I think the thread creator would enjoy them.]

Because after all K-On! is actually a pretty damn good strawberry cake when one looks at it relatively objectively. Animation wise it's quite good and gets better over time, including some pretty sweet concert scenes; music is a matter of taste but the production values are pretty high; pacing and jokes...well, they are also personal tastes, so I won't dispute anyone there (for the record I had fun but also had my issues, but the second season solved a lot of problems); the girls are cute; and it *is* very popular, which is a sort of metric too.
Old 2011-03-18, 09:17   Link #24
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Because after all K-On! is actually a pretty damn good strawberry cake when one looks at it relatively objectively. Animation wise it's quite good and gets better over time, including some pretty sweet concert scenes; music is a matter of taste but the production values are pretty high; pacing and jokes...well, they are also personal tastes, so I won't dispute anyone there (for the record I had fun but also had my issues, but the second season solved a lot of problems); the girls are cute; and it *is* very popular, which is a sort of metric too.
Ah it's all good.

The OP asked if he should watch it or not, so I gave my personal, obviously colored impression of it to show I expected it to be something like X, bu tit turned out to be Y. So if he expected X like me, he may be disappointed, but I did say just to give it a shot if he was interested like everyone else.
Old 2011-03-18, 10:03   Link #25
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

9 out of 10 zerglings like K-ON. Incidentally I did too. I think that's a good reason for watching it.

There. You didn't need 5690835093 lines.
Old 2011-03-18, 11:37   Link #26
Archon_Wing
Underwhelmed
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Well, 53286205 lines is still better then "the show sucks derp!!" Someone just happened to eat a cake, vomited, and got sent to the hospital over it, so much reasoning is needed.

Personally, I just couldn't stand it (though despising it seems too much for a show like this), even though I sorta like moe just because nothing else of interest seems to happen. I also don't really like any of the lead characters, especially not the main character, so "moe" didn't trigger for me. It's the equivalent of eating sugar to me-- never made it to the second season though. The ending song is probably the only reason why I cared at all; It is the most brilliant thing about the show

But of course, I am a hater, so if you're one of these, you may feel the same.
That which you do not know, you invent.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2011-03-18 at 11:53.
Old 2011-03-18, 14:54   Link #27
FlavorOfLife
Uncaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_am_Kami View Post
So, should i watch it or not?
If you like positive anime without death/despair/other negative emotions and/or you are at least mid 20s and/or you have a sucky job and/or you feel kind of bad about life and/or find that the journey is just as important if not more so than the goal, then this is for you.

K-ON is a type of anime that gives viewers the rose tinted glasses of nostalgia.

As a positive anime, K-ON has nearly 99% purity (may also be suitable for kids depending on viewpoint). The only negative feelings generated was only for a single episode where Miio and Ritsu worked out their misunderstanding in less than 10 minutes.

As a nostalgia themed anime, it milks stuff like book pressing flowers, doing your housework, rolling on the floor, etc.

If you're the type that only likes negativity, then no this is not the anime for you.
If you're the type who wants realism, then no this is not the anime for you.
If you're the type who needs a fixed plotline, then no this is not the anime for you.
Old 2011-03-18, 15:48   Link #28
I_am_Kami
Disabled By Request

It's pretty funny so far. The teacher as an ex rockstar is funny. I like story and okay with tragedy as long as it isn't their the whole time. I like comedy too. For example my bride is a mermaid. Though I know that this show has no plot but I want some more to happen instead of focusing too much on the moeness,which i don't mind but too much is a bother. I heard that season two is better so I'll keep going. But I still don't understand how it's so popular. Like bakemonogatari.
Old 2011-03-18, 23:52   Link #29
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
K-On is popular in the same way cotton candy is popular. (And for very similar reasons).

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Closed Thread