AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2012-01-24, 19:51   Link #381
Lost Cause

Hey, any of you ever hear of a Reminton Nylon 66? I have a chance to buy one for $100 and was wandering if it's any good or not?
Lost Cause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-12, 01:02   Link #382
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Since we were spamming up another thread with off topic chatter...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
You have to balance between armor and mobility.

Unless of course you develop energy shields.
That doesn't help you if the energy shields require a 80 pound generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Machines guns tend to be less accurate at full auto due to the recoil and need to control it. This is partly why they made three round burst. The other reason being to prevent tunnel visioned soldiers from running out of ammon while holding down the trigger (happened a lot in Vietnam with the early M-16s).

But in single shot....accurate as any other rifle. And with training the bursts can be just about as accurate...or at least accurate enough. (as a novice teen I had access to a machine pistol (HK something or other) at a target range in Arizona. Single shot with 9mm works fine. Three round burst, I think I hit a few. At full auto (I had I think seven rounds left) I hit the paper twice (neither in the black, so if it was human I would have missed...though he would have felt the rounds go by).
Assuming you're using an unsupported rifle. Machine guns set up in tripods/bipods deal with auto fire better (but bursts still need to be controlled). Humans just aren't built to handle full auto recoil with only our arms.

But as you said. Full auto IS less accurate. And a .50 cal machine gun is perfectly capable of sniping dudes from a thousand yards out if you get good optics on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
If I'm not mistaking the best armored suit I ever seen in a anime is inJinroh the Wolf Brigade... not only the squad has have body armor but their heads and faces are covered in armor... plus each carrying a machine gun...Damn!
Isn't that power armor? Cause I can't imagine normal soldiers would be able to fight with that kind of heavy gear.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-12, 01:30   Link #383
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I believe what I used was some version of the H & K MP5 that used 9mm ammunition. (it pulls up and to the right at full auto) We used two different ones. One has a sound suppresson system and the other a laser sight. The sound suppression version I didn't care for as it blew a lot a air back in my face, made it annoying to aim. The laser was more fun. I only got one clip for each. We'd be using the .44 magnum earlier, but the cylinder seemed to be out of alignment as I got a lead fragment in my shirt after my father fired once...and I was behind him.

On the other hand I've managed to shoot my uncle in the back...with a shotgun...while he was behind me. We were shooting clays, high, and it seems one piece of lead bounced off and came down on my uncle...to pieced his shirt and skimmed his back on the way down...drew blood. He was not in my line of fire and a good 10 yards behind me.

Uncle Fester would be proud.

Last edited by Ithekro; 2012-02-12 at 02:12.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-12, 08:50   Link #384
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Ithekro, why don't you just admit you're an Xcom rookie?
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-12, 10:45   Link #385
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Spoiler for Big:

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-28, 14:04   Link #386
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

The Kalashnikov Rifle Is Getting an Upgrade

Your opinion?
Old 2012-02-28, 14:33   Link #387
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

It isn't the first time the update it, no ?
Old 2012-02-28, 22:50   Link #388
Lost Cause

They're just going to make them so you can put lights and lasers on them, like the current issue M4A1, that our troops carry now.
Old 2012-02-29, 05:54   Link #389
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
How much can you upgrade something that is almost perfect......

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-29, 07:26   Link #390
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
Basically they'll smack a RIS fore end on it and fork out most of the budget on modular equipment.

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
grylsyjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-29, 08:21   Link #391
DarkyPwnz
Likely To End Up In Jail

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
How much can you upgrade something that is almost perfect......
The 7.62x39mm used on the AK-47 isn't really perfect,it goes straight through people with tumbling at short range and it loses speed faster than the NATO standard,5.56x45mm at longer ranges,dealing less "damage". The AK-47,on the other hand,is actually light and contrary to popular belief,it doesn't recoil much (less than a G3 atleast). It's just not accurate,not suited for a professional army at all. But it is a great representation of an idea,in particular that day's Soviet doctrine.
Old 2012-02-29, 20:38   Link #392
Lost Cause

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkyPwnz View Post
The 7.62x39mm used on the AK-47 isn't really perfect,it goes straight through people with tumbling at short range and it loses speed faster than the NATO standard,5.56x45mm at longer ranges,dealing less "damage". The AK-47,on the other hand,is actually light and contrary to popular belief,it doesn't recoil much (less than a G3 atleast). It's just not accurate,not suited for a professional army at all. But it is a great representation of an idea,in particular that day's Soviet doctrine.
Uh, actually the current Russian service rifle is the AK-74, and it fires the 5.45x39.5 bullet. And according to early accounts from the Russian war in Afganistan, the 5.45 tumbles!
Old 2012-02-29, 21:28   Link #393
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

The 7.62x39mm may lose speed quicker and drop quickly over shorter distances than the 5.56x45mm but it has a higher ballistics coefficient due to nearly twice the projectile weight and will actually reach out farther and harder the 5.56x45mm.

But as Linda has said, the current service rifles use the 5.45x39mm round which like the 5.56x45mm tends to tumble as it hits a target due to being a front heavy projectile.

Old 2012-03-01, 11:53   Link #394
DarkyPwnz
Likely To End Up In Jail

That's why I was talking about AK-47 and not AK-74. So I don't see why you had to tell me about AK-74 because I already know. P.S:I hate iPhone's autocorrect.
Old 2012-04-15, 03:54   Link #395
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Reloaded some bullets today so got a new photo of the Steyr.

Old 2012-04-19, 20:28   Link #396
Lost Cause

Quote:
Originally Posted by grylsyjaeger View Post
Reloaded some bullets today so got a new photo of the Steyr.

A beautiful thing! Love your new sig by the way!
Old 2012-04-29, 06:56   Link #397
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Shot some steel this afternoon with a friend;

Lased at 410m. At that range our rounds were dropping like 40" from our 100 metre zero.

I was shooting for headshots, my mate wasn't too confident but I did get him on the top plate a couple of times.

There were some pretty strong cross winds at times. You can see in the above image there are bullet holes through the steel posts supporting the targets. The right side hit was a result of a huge gust of wind just as I shot which pushed the round wide.

The next shot the wind was blowing something chronic so I held left and shot... just as the wind died. lol.

But the biggest surprise is how easy the rounds were chewing through the steel plate. I know it's only mild steel but straight through 8mm plate as if it was nothing? Scary stuff.

Old 2012-04-29, 17:12   Link #398
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Looks like someone has been making progress lately in the US... I thought this thing was likely to end up in the technological scrap yard like so many military programs nowadays, so I was kind of surprised (though in a pleasant manner) to learn that it had actually come along quite well and it's getting close to completion. I'm talking about the LSAT LMG, a weapon that is meant to complement -if not even replace- the FN Minimi/M249, while offering a perk that few firearms of this kind have managed so far: significant weight reductions.

The LSAT is actually one of the very few firearms that can make use of caseless/lightweight ammunition: the propellant is either encased in plastic (instead of brass) or left completely naked (the manufacturer, AAI, bought several patents from Heckler&Koch, especially those concerning the caseless ammo-firing -though never put in production- G11 rifle). Either way, a LSAT LMG + 1,000 rounds of plastic case rounds is up to 20 pounds lighter than a M249 + 1,000 rounds of brass case rounds. The LSAT is also rumored to be slightly more accurate and offers shooting performances comparable to the M249's.

Spoiler for YT vids:

To be honest, I was not sure whether the caseless ammo would ever go anywhere past the lab test stage, since the last time I checked there were severe concerns about ammunition cook-off (an argument already raised at the time when the G11 was still in development)...and when I heard about the ammunition being telescopic, I was seriously pondering whether the rounds would actually have LESS propellant than inside the brass case equivalent. The developers and testers seem quite hyped about the advantages of the LSAT (20 pounds less equals less fatigue and higher concentration for the shooter), but I have to wonder as to whether the new loading system (a rotating bolt - its operation can be seen in one of the YouTube vids above) will be as rugged and reliable as a conventional bolt system.

Looking past these issues -valid or not-, I still wonder if they could upscale the LSAT LMG to challenge the M240 on its own ground. The 240 is by all means a reliable weapon, but it's one heavy log to carry around, even if the PEO Soldier division recently managed to shear a couple pounds (the kinda awkward-looking M240L) off the vanilla M240B. It'd be nice if the development team could, but AAI apparently prefers to focus on a carbine/rifle version (PDF here - could take some time to load) that could eventually supplement the M4. But I wonder if the advantages of the LSAT program could actually bring the US to consider investing in the rifle derivative and away from the M4/16...the US are, after all, quite culturally attached to the AR15 family, and the Pentagon's latest attempt to launch a competition for a possible M4/16 successor (XM8, SCAR) ended quite anticlimactically. Even without the gas piston that improves reliability (though one could argue that a direct gas impingement system actually offers greater precision than the GP-equipped variants, since it allows the barrel to be practically free-floating), US forces are quite satisfied with AR15s (ever noticed that most of the replacement candidates are actually evolutions of the AR15 - all except the FN SCAR?).

Heck, even the 1980s ACR program, which welcomed a LOT of technologically revolutionary candidates such as the flechette-firing Steyr ACR, the twin round-firing Colt ACR and the caseless ammo-firing H&K G11, was cancelled since the organizers didn't see any perk that was dramatic enough to warrant a departure from the AR15 dynasty.

As for a civilian firearm that will use LSAT technology? I don't think we'll see one... I think most shooters won't mind actually using brass rounds and the military will probably want to curtail the widespread use of caseless ammo.

Last edited by Renegade334; 2012-04-29 at 17:28.
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-29, 17:21   Link #399
Asuras
Dictadere~!

Ultimately it will have to be "significant" enough for the soldiers to actually want to make the switch or adopt any number of them. One of the problems with the development of the XM8 (from what I've seen) is that the soldiers didn't care much to start carrying a new weapon around when the one they already got used to is "just fine". With this LSAT, it'll need to be so good, that soldiers will drop their guns and fight over the thing... xD

Though I'm sure they will appreciate a 20 ib drop. I certainly would.
Old 2012-05-11, 10:29   Link #400
Nappy Hared Azn
Check out my Rolek!

Soldier preferences are taken into account when it comes to weapons procurement?

This is news to me.

Tags
firearms, guns