AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2011-02-26, 00:52   Link #21
Tri-ring

I don't see Lum as a Tsundere more of a Yandere since she was always chasing Ataru not the other way round.
Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-26, 01:03   Link #22
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Lum was dere towards him unless he was looking or acting towards other women...or trying to ignore her....than lightning...after a count to three....if I remember correctly.

Unless she was different the first film, since I didn't see that one.
Old 2011-02-26, 09:30   Link #23
bokchoy

Kirino from OreImo. Because she's so Tsun that it's almost a parody

-Tsumugi Kotobuki (K-On! Episode 7)

bokchoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-26, 09:56   Link #24
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

This is a difficult question. I think the tsundere archetype is something you need exceptionally good writing to pull off, since it is incredibly easy to mess up and devolve such a character into an annoying, hateful and psychotically violent jerk. It's not like tsunderes cannot be good characters though.

I can't really choose a 'best' tsundere, although there are a few who I like:

Haruna from Kore wa Zombie desu ka?
- It's not her tsundere personality that makes Haruna likable, but its her fun vivacity, creative detachment from reality and eccentricities that make me like her. Her silly type of character fits a typical tsundere attitude to a T, and thus it doesn't feel too forced when she exhibits her tsun qualities.

Kyon from The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi
- There are few better choices for a protagonist and narrator for this anime than a snarky tsundere. Kyon is outwardly opposed to the SOS, but he unknowingly indulges in the myriad exciting adventures that he is dragged into. His character is brilliantly tackled in the Disappearance movie. Basically, Kyon makes this show. Without him it could still be fun and interesting but it would not be nearly as great as it is.

Hayase Misa from Super Dimension Fortress Macross
- The way Misa struggles so hard to keep a formal professional exterior while suppressing her emotions is very entertaining to watch. She was my favorite character in the anime, a hard yet brittle character. Sure, we see a lot of her type in anime, but Misa is one of the most compelling and likable.

Spoiler for Madoka Magica, as of episode 8:

Aika S. Granzchesta from Aria
- While she actually is tsundere romantically for another character, Aika's highlight is how down to earth she is and how easily embarrassed she gets about the infallible sugary sweetness Akari exhibits. Aika loves Aqua just as much as every other character, but she doesn't want to be seen as a ditz, so she goes for a more excited demeanor. I love it when she says something embarrassing (in her own opinion) and promptly corrects herself. Aika is one of the easiest characters in Aria to relate with.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-26, 11:57   Link #25
Witch of Uncertainty

Beatrice from Umineko no naku koro ni.
Witch of Uncertainty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-26, 12:24   Link #26
Crimrui
Hollow

Send a message via Yahoo to Crimrui
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
Hayase Misa from Super Dimension Fortress Macross
- The way Misa struggles so hard to keep a formal professional exterior while suppressing her emotions is very entertaining to watch. She was my favorite character in the anime, a hard yet brittle character. Sure, we see a lot of her type in anime, but Misa is one of the most compelling and likable.
My memory is kinda fuzzy, but was Misa really that much of a tsundere? I remember her mostly being overly strict.

Anyway, I remember a lot of great characters but none of them left a scar on my brain like Rin Tohsaka did. She is just perfect in every way.
Old 2011-02-26, 16:21   Link #27
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I have a long list of adorable tsundere of worthy memory but I'll just list my first fictional one that got me into anime/manga pop culture for now.

Motoko Aoyoma from Love Hina (manga). Interestingly, one of my not-favorite examples is from the same series: Naru, who just fails in my opinion.
Old 2011-02-26, 16:28   Link #28
Zetsubo
著述遮断

Hitagi Senjougahara ... Tsundere Chan brings new and fun perspective to the archetype.
Zetsubo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-26, 21:48   Link #29
liquidmetal
procrastinating...

Would have to say Kagami, Kyou Fujibayashi and Rin tohsaka for most of the reasons already pointed out in the thread. Also add Asuka from NGE.

Special mention to Hitagi Senjougahara but I'm in the camp that doesn't class her as an 'out and out' tsundere
liquidmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-26, 22:05   Link #30
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
.... Interestingly, one of my not-favorite examples is from the same series: Naru, who just fails in my opinion.
Wow. It's nice to see someone who agrees with me in this. I was pretty disappointed with Naru as well....
Old 2011-02-27, 00:55   Link #31
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Interestingly, one of my not-favorite examples is from the same series: Naru, who just fails in my opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycanid View Post
Wow. It's nice to see someone who agrees with me in this. I was pretty disappointed with Naru as well....
Wait a minute... Naru was a tsundere? I may be just incredibly bad at noticing, but I never knew that..
Old 2011-02-27, 01:02   Link #32
Asuras
Dictadere~!

Undoubtedly has to be Misaka Mikoto from To Aru Majutsu no Index.
Old 2011-02-27, 01:06   Link #33
GreatTeacherKen

@Hooves

She may not have pigtails or be voiced by Kugimiya Rie, but she fits the archetype in personality.

She whiplashes wildly between launching Keitaro into the stratosphere with her fist usually after he has an accidental pervert moment and being sweet towards him. It also takes her quite a while to spit it out that she likes him like many tsunderes in romance series.
GreatTeacherKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-27, 01:16   Link #34
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatTeacherKen View Post
@Hooves

She may not have pigtails or be voiced by Kugimiya Rie, but she fits the archetype in personality.
Where did that come from all of a sudden

Quote:
She whiplashes wildly between launching Keitaro into the stratosphere with her fist usually after he has an accidental pervert moment and being sweet towards him. It also takes her quite a while to spit it out that she likes him like many tsunderes in romance series.
I thought it was just natural of her to wack Keitaro whenever he gets into those moments, as well as pulling silly stunts. But you may have a point after I reminisced some episodes.
Old 2011-02-27, 01:25   Link #35
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Taiga of Tora Dora.... Hey, Kyou of Clannad is tsundere or I guess I'm wrong...?
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-27, 01:36   Link #36
GreatTeacherKen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
Where did that come from all of a sudden
Well I thought that was the reason why you didn't know she was a tsundere, since Naru doesn't have those two stereotypical tsundere traits. And well I was confused by your original comment since that was the first time I have heard anyone not describe Naru as tsundere.
GreatTeacherKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-27, 01:56   Link #37
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Quote:
Well I thought that was the reason why you didn't know she was a tsundere, since Naru doesn't have those two stereotypical tsundere traits. And well I was confused by your original comment since that was the first time I have heard anyone not describe Naru as tsundere.
Not to mention she was not short.
Old 2011-02-27, 02:04   Link #38
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycanid View Post
Not to mention she was not short.
Ahh! Now you two are just ganging up on me. I get it, I get it!
Old 2011-02-27, 02:09   Link #39
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
Ahh! Now you two are just ganging up on me. I get it, I get it!
It's a late night weekend California thing.
Old 2011-02-27, 04:18   Link #40
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Visual novel derived example:
My desktop computer is named Tsugumi, after the character affectionately known to Ever 17 players as "Tsunderegumi". My USB flash drive is named Chami after her pet hamster.

I'll throw an honourable mention in for Hitagi Senhougahara as well.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote