AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations > Custom Requests

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-03-09, 21:21   Link #1
kco143

Anime with mature couples

Hello,

I've recently had a craving for some romance anime with good couples. The anime doesn't have to be purely romance, but it should have some in it. In fact, it's a plus if the anime has swords, action/adventure or fantasy in it.

Examples of couples I liked:

Holo x Laurence (Spice & Wolf)
Erin x Ia-lu (Beast Sayer Erin)
Balsa x Tonda (Moribito)
Romeo x Juliet (RomeoxJuliet)

The reason why I liked these couples was because they were mature and had good character development. I like it when the male is a strong, handsome figure and is concerned for the female's well-being. Adversely, I also like it when the male doesn't like the female at first, then grows on her later.

It's a plus if the anime you recommend has a female protagonist like all the ones I mentioned, but I'm not too picky so it doesn't matter.

Examples of couples I don't like:

Kagome x Inuyasha (too immature for my tastes)

Thanks in advance for any recommendations =]
Old 2011-03-09, 22:09   Link #2
Shi~Kitsune

Hakushaku to Yousei is an excellent one.

It's fantasy and has some action in it. The "male is a strong, handsome figure and is concerned for the female's well-being".

Has wonderful romantic moments in it too.

It has a female protag as well.

Only thing that's different is that the girl gradually falls for the guy, not the other way around.
Old 2011-03-09, 22:11   Link #3
Bingbing

I think Phantom Requiem would be a good fit
Their relationship grows throughout the series... just a great all around anime
Old 2011-03-09, 22:12   Link #4
king12354

Nodame Cantabile.

Three seasons. Although the protagonist is mature and the other is pretty goofy, their character development is really something. They go from high school students to near the end of college.
Old 2011-03-09, 22:59   Link #5
IronWarrior
KenshiWarrior

I would recommend Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien, it does start with them in School, but after 3 or so episodes they all become adults.
Old 2011-03-09, 23:14   Link #6
Nemuru

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWarrior View Post
I would recommend Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien, it does start with them in School, but after 3 or so episodes they all become adults.
I'm thinking that including rage within the drama isn't what the OP is after......
Old 2011-03-10, 00:11   Link #7
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

These involve a senpai relationship which grows into something more.

Nodame Cantabile (they're actually in college at the beginning)
REC
Planetes
Toshokan Sensou

Some of these shows have romantic relationships, while in others there's an obvious attraction but it's suppressed for professional or other reasons.

Yakushiji Ryoko
Black Lagoon
Baccano!
Mouryou no Hako
Oh! Edo Rocket
Saiunkoku Monogatari
Genji Monogatari Sennenki
Kurozuka
Old 2011-03-10, 00:15   Link #8
kco143

Hey guys, thanks for all of the wonderful recommendations. You guys are the best. So far I like everything that I see.

Hakushaku to Yousei looks very interesting. I checked out all the characters and they seem likable. I've never watched a fairy anime so it should be fun to watch. Love that its fantasy.

Phantom Requiem sounds sooo good. Looks like it potentially has an amazing story line and lot's of action. If it's got a good couple then I'm bound to love it.

Ok, I've been told I need to watch Nodame Cantible multiple times now so I think it's definitely time to give it a try! I've always shied away from high school animes but if it has a good relationship like you say then i'm bound to enjoy it.
Old 2011-03-10, 00:17   Link #9
kco143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemuru View Post
I'm thinking that including rage within the drama isn't what the OP is after......
Not sure what you mean by this. I'm going to give IronWarrior's recommendation a try. But yeah, if there is too much silliness I might not like it. I can handle a little, but too much over-the-top stuff throws me off.
Old 2011-03-10, 00:23   Link #10
kco143

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
These involve a senpai relationship which grows into something more.

Nodame Cantabile (they're actually in college at the beginning)
REC
Planetes
Toshokan Sensou

Some of these shows have romantic relationships, while in others there's an obvious attraction but it's suppressed for professional or other reasons.

Yakushiji Ryoko
Black Lagoon
Baccano!
Mouryou no Hako
Oh! Edo Rocket
Saiunkoku Monogatari
Genji Monogatari Sennenki
Kurozuka
Hey Seiji, great recommendations as usual. =] Can't wait to check out REC as it looks very cute. And I couldn't help but laugh when I read the summary for Toshokan Sensou because I'm a huge book nerd so that's right up my alley.

Just out of curiosity, which two characters share a relationship in Planetes? I looked but couldn't find that out. The anime looks intriguing to me though.
Old 2011-03-10, 03:32   Link #11
Haak
Dehydrated

Have you seen Honey & Clover?
Old 2011-03-10, 07:34   Link #12
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by kco143 View Post
Hey Seiji, great recommendations as usual.
Thanks! I do keep an eye out for the occasional series with adult characters. I wished there were a real male/female relationship in House of Five Leaves so I could have recommended that, too. (Ooh, look, I snuck it in anyway! )

Quote:
Can't wait to check out REC as it looks very cute.
Yes, it is, but it also has a number of serious moments as well.

Quote:
And I couldn't help but laugh when I read the summary for Toshokan Sensou because I'm a huge book nerd so that's right up my alley.
To be honest, I never really found the story in that show plausible enough to take seriously, but the characters are well developed. If you read the comments in the thread here, you'll see that our good friend TinyRedLeaf saw much more in the story than I did.

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, which two characters share a relationship in Planetes? I looked but couldn't find that out. The anime looks intriguing to me though.
The description for Planetes at ANN concludes with:
This is the story of Technora's Debris Collecting section, its EVA worker, Hachirota "Hachimaki" Hoshino, and the newcomer to the group, Ai Tanabe.

Actually the most obscure couple in my list would probably be Kiba and Youko in Mouryou no Hako.

As for ages and the setting in Nodame Cantabile, Nodame is 20, I believe, when the series begins, and Chiaki 21 or 22. They attend a collegiate-level conservatory, though we don't see much in the way of academic coursework. US equivalents are schools like Eastman at the University of Rochester or Berklee in Boston.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2011-03-10 at 07:47.
Old 2011-03-15, 19:20   Link #13
kco143

Hey again,

I just started Nodame Cantabile and I'm on the fence about it. On the plus side I enjoy the characters but on the downside the show doesn't seem to take itself very seriously. There aren't really any serious moments (though I am only 3 episodes in) and I was a little put off by how Noda pronounced her love to Chiaki after only 1 episode! I was expecting a little more development than that.

Anywho, I'm not trying to complain about this anime, but I was just wondering if it get's a little more serious later on? I enjoy the goofy moments but I'd like to see some maturity as well. Especially if I'm going to watch all three seasons =p
Old 2011-03-15, 23:21   Link #14
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Give it two more episodes. You need to see the cliff-hanger between four and five.

It gets less goofy and more mature as the story progresses. As you head toward the conclusion of season one, it's almost never goofy.

There were complaints (from me and others) about the extent of "paper-fan violence" in the early episodes of Nodame. I didn't like the slapstick humor at the beginning, but it disappears quickly. What makes the show for me is the dedication of the musicians, their commitment to excellence, and the animation of the performance sequences. The voice-acting is pretty impressive as well.

One other thing. Their relationship doesn't develop quickly
Spoiler for pace of romance:
Nodame Cantabile is actually more about individual achievement within friendship bonding than it is about romance. If you'd prefer a story where the romance develops faster, I'd suggest watching REC.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2011-03-15 at 23:35.
Old 2011-03-16, 08:36   Link #15
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

What Seiji says, yes. Personally, REC (adults in the workplace) and Honey&Clover (college students and professors) are good recommendations. REC in particular - it starts out in a very inverted way and has explicit homage catches and moments to the classic romantic comedies of the 1940s and 50s (Audrey Hepburn movies).

Nodame's only fault is the reliance on violent humor. And yes, Moribito and Spice&Wolf are amongst my very favorites.

The recent series Otome Youkai Zakuro is a romance adventure I tend to think of as 'adult' in scope.
Old 2011-03-16, 10:31   Link #16
kitten320

Nagisa/Tomoya from Clannad had huge development, one of the best I had actually seen.