AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: Suzumiya Haruhi Episode 9 Rating
Perfect 10 75 35.71%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 56 26.67%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 26 12.38%
7 out of 10 : Good 30 14.29%
6 out of 10 : Average 15 7.14%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 3 1.43%
4 out of 10 : Poor 3 1.43%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.48%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.48%
Voters: 210. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-06-01, 13:57   Link #181
arias

If you guys read the novels, then you'd realize some of the more subtler attitudes that Kyon has towards Haruhi... I'm just going to post this msg, and leave it here.. and edit it later tonight with some specific.. oh wait. I can't do that in the episode thread, can I?

Just let me assure you that Kyon pays more attention to Haruhi than you guys think...
Old 2006-06-01, 14:03   Link #182
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiro-Chan
This Suzumiya Haruhi is so popular.. But Chiro has never heard of it before now.. T_T Someone pm me and tell me what it issss!!! T_T
It is better *seen* than explained .... I recommend watching the first five episodes -- if you're hooked then welcome to the cult

(oregon: we need more wet and cold .. too many mosquitoes this spring )

@arias: agreed... watch Kyon's eyes and precisely how he interacts with her ... Kyon and Haruhi are a metaphysical, sci-fi version of the "bickering couple" archetype though one of the more clever incarnations I've seen.
Old 2006-06-01, 14:13   Link #183
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Quote:
Originally Posted by arias
If you guys read the novels, then you'd realize some of the more subtler attitudes that Kyon has towards Haruhi... I'm just going to post this msg, and leave it here.. and edit it later tonight with some specific.. oh wait. I can't do that in the episode thread, can I?

Just let me assure you that Kyon pays more attention to Haruhi than you guys think...
This made me remember a particular point or few I noted.

In this episode, Kyon seems to be a lot more tender toward Haruhi. Clearly, earlier he tagged around because he was intrigued by Haruhi (even if he wouldn't admit it) and really had nothing better to do, but he does seem to care at this point, though obviously worn down.

His call of "matte yo" ("wait!") at the end was particularly different from how he normally sounds. Nicer. Warmer. Not hacked off. Through the entire episode he sounds more worn out than he does aggravated (which is all we've seen until now).

Haruhi's moments, from Kyon waking up until the credits, are the only thing that opened me up to the KyonxHaruhi pairing. Until now I've been 100% for KyonxMikuru, and the thought of KyonxHaruhi seemed very, very wrong. I haven't changed camps, but this opens me to the idea.

(All this is said coming from the standpoint of having read the first volume of the novel.)
Old 2006-06-01, 14:21   Link #184
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Well, the problem with this anime is this:

We don't imply Kyon likes Mikuru from his REACTIONS, we can actually hear his THOUGHTS. I mean, the guy gave me the impression that he really wants to see Mikuru after a hard day.

Now, unless they specifically don't want to show us his romantic feelings about Haruhi in the same way they're showing us is interest in Mikuru, there's really not much to discuss
Old 2006-06-01, 14:23   Link #185
rain...

The ending scene did make up for all Kyon's coldness towards Haruhi though.

'Honestly, I picked up the heater for you... and not a word of appreciation...
...from our little brigade chief, huh?' The way he said it made all the difference, that somehow he just appreciates Haruhi for being who she is.

Haruhi doesn't seem to mind Kyon's attitude at all, she making a face at him.
Old 2006-06-01, 14:26   Link #186
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

I didn't say Kyon doesn't appreciate Haruhi or doesn't like her company, or he wouldn't be there. I'm just saying that the best thing he displayed towards Haruhi is warm friendship and approval. Even with all her faults, he likes her company (and although he doesn't admit it, well, he doesn't really dislike Itsuki, they're playing board games all the time You don't play games with someone you dislike). But there wasn't much in his shown thoughts that speaks of something more.
Old 2006-06-01, 14:30   Link #187
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Yea we know that Kyon doesn't show obvious reactions that he likes Haruhi, neither does he think about it.

But its all subconsciously expressed by them, Kyon probably likes Haruhi as much as Haruhi likes him and both of them don't know about it. They are always in constant conflict and disagreement, yet we see that they still get along and even hold hands like something they do all the time. Yes a standard bickering couple indeed, but again taken to the extremes like every thing else in the show.

Whether Kyon subconsciously thinks and cares about Haruhi more than thinking and 'lusting' over Mikuru, we probably couldn't guess. Should be another reason why my percentage table gives Haruhi and Mikuru 45% chance each.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2006-06-01, 14:31   Link #188
Chibi-chan
Squee~

Quote:
Originally Posted by rain...
The ending scene did make up for all Kyon's coldness towards Haruhi though.

'Honestly, I picked up the heater for you... and not a word of appreciation...
...from our little brigade chief, huh?' The way he said it made all the difference, that somehow he just appreciates Haruhi for being who she is.

Haruhi doesn't seem to mind Kyon's attitude at all, she making a face at him.
What's really ironic about the last scene was that in the preview for Episode 9 in Episode 8, Haruhi did thank Kyon. It made the ending even better.
Old 2006-06-01, 14:36   Link #189
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Well, subconsciously means no apparent evidence

Haruhi though is not that subconscious, from ep 1, it's evident that she considers Kyon special. She only talks to him, she minds his opinion, etc etc. And that cardigan thing was the most obvious sign Kyon on the other hand doesn't act like that, besides complying with Haruhi. And even then, Haruhi had to send him away to take pictures of Mikuru because (apparently) he has expressed his opinion that Haruhi shouldn't be messing with Mikuru all the time (oh goodie, another KyonxMikuru clue ) and Haruhi does consider his opinion, although hyper and stubborn as she is, she still found a way to get the pics without Kyon interfering . KyonxHaruhi is still a bit farfetched considering there's Mikuru around.
Old 2006-06-01, 14:39   Link #190
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Yea, maybe not for Haruhi, she secretly expresses her love for Kyon, when no one else is around lol. She wants to dominate Kyon herself, I guess thats what made Kyon's life miserable lol

Damn lol, one thing thats good about this anime, is the infinite amount of discussions it can generate. One more reason for me to say: All Hail Haruhiism!!

Old 2006-06-01, 14:57   Link #191
rain...

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A.
Damn lol, one thing thats good about this anime, is the infinite amount of discussions it can generate.
Agreeable! Haruhi's series is one anime which you can discuss over and over again, which means there's a certain depth and thought put into making the story work. That's why it's so appealing to many of us.

But one thing we can be certain that neither Kyon nor Haruhi have realize their true feelings towards each other - whether it's love or just a mutual appreciation we can't confirm as of yet.
Old 2006-06-01, 15:06   Link #192
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by npal
Well, subconsciously means no apparent evidence

Haruhi though is not that subconscious, from ep 1, it's evident that she considers Kyon special. She only talks to him, she minds his opinion, etc etc. And that cardigan thing was the most obvious sign Kyon on the other hand doesn't act like that, besides complying with Haruhi. And even then, Haruhi had to send him away to take pictures of Mikuru because (apparently) he has expressed his opinion that Haruhi shouldn't be messing with Mikuru all the time (oh goodie, another KyonxMikuru clue ) and Haruhi does consider his opinion, although hyper and stubborn as she is, she still found a way to get the pics without Kyon interfering . KyonxHaruhi is still a bit farfetched considering there's Mikuru around.
This is when time-travelling becomes handy.

You see, we have no idea how much later in time did Mikuru came from. Unless she is from a relatively close timeline, which means Kyon can wait untill he mets her in her own time, Mikuru simply is banned from forming romantic relationships with him.
There is also another reason why Mikuru is out of the race, and that reason is explained on the next episode. And no, it's not related to Haruhi.
Old 2006-06-01, 15:13   Link #193
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant
This is when time-travelling becomes handy.

You see, we have no idea how much later in time did Mikuru came from. Unless she is from a relatively close timeline, which means Kyon can wait untill he mets her in her own time, Mikuru simply is banned from forming romantic relationships with him.
There is also another reason why Mikuru is out of the race, and that reason is explained on the next episode. And no, it's not related to Haruhi.
Bleh... Banned... That can provide ground for a good romantic drama. Love cannot be banned

But I'm waiting to see the other reason.
Old 2006-06-01, 15:43   Link #194
lana3007
stuck-up feminist

I've been following this discussion for awhile now, so I thoughts I'd offer my own two cents.

I think that the clue to what Kyon really wants/likes lies in the things he doesn't think about, or at least the audience doesn't hear him think about.

First off he doesn't always tell the truth in his thoughts. For example when he first meets Haruhi and Taniguchi (?) tells him not to get interested in her, he thinks something along the lines of "there is nothing to interest me." Which can't possibly be true: he is interested in her enough to figure out her hair style pattern for god's sake. He obviously pays a whole lot of attention to her.

Another thing you never hear him think about is the whole thing with Haruhi liking him. I think he's had way too many clues by now that she does, and he is not your average oblivious harem male lead. Considering how much time he spends analysing Haruhi's actions, I think it's suspicious that he never once even mentions it.

Which is why I give more credit to his actions towards Haruhi which you don't hear his thoughts about, than the amount of time he spends thinking about oggling Mikuru.
Old 2006-06-01, 16:04   Link #195
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lana3007
I've been following this discussion for awhile now, so I thoughts I'd offer my own two cents.

I think that the clue to what Kyon really wants/likes lies in the things he doesn't think about, or at least the audience doesn't hear him think about.

First off he doesn't always tell the truth in his thoughts. For example when he first meets Haruhi and Taniguchi (?) tells him not to get interested in her, he thinks something along the lines of "there is nothing to interest me." Which can't possibly be true: he is interested in her enough to figure out her hair style pattern for god's sake. He obviously pays a whole lot of attention to her.

Another thing you never hear him think about is the whole thing with Haruhi liking him. I think he's had way too many clues by now that she does, and he is not your average oblivious harem male lead. Considering how much time he spends analysing Haruhi's actions, I think it's suspicious that he never once even mentions it.
Well, one thing that Kunikida said that was most significant, "Kyon likes weird girls" lol

When hes not thinking about Mikuru, Kyon is most probably thinking about Haruhi. During exams, walking down the street, I guess the most fanatic Haruhist is Kyon. Seems like hes really not giving Yuki enough attention, I'm glad though, that he doesn't even think of Itsuki at all lol

Old 2006-06-01, 16:06   Link #196
Akito

The best of this episode is when Haruhi looked surprised when Kyon was sleeping.
Had a lot of sweet moments, like when Mikuru-chan put the scarf on Kyon, and when Kyon returned with one umbrella with Haruhi.... romantic.

I was thinking as I saw this episode that the episode order in Haruhi sometimes gives you the feeling that you are watching several parallel animes.. I don't know how to explain...
Old 2006-06-01, 16:08   Link #197
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A.
Seems like hes really not giving Yuki enough attention, I'm glad though, that he doesn't even think of Itsuki at all lol
Yuki : Or we just don't know

Itsuki : Or we just don't know

The same thing that applies to Haruhi can apply to everyone else, if they don't show us Kyon's thoughts, we can't be sure Only solid clue we have are his thoughts about Mikuru, at this point.
Old 2006-06-01, 16:43   Link #198
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

OT: The threads for this forum so completely rock compared to certain other series discussions. I can fervently disagree with posters here and still understand the dots they're connecting to get to their view --- rather than just stupid irrational ... anyway, ya'll get my point.

I should spend a moment and cookie 90% of our posters here....
Old 2006-06-01, 16:46   Link #199
Shirobane
Haruhiism Worshipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lana3007

Which is why I give more credit to his actions towards Haruhi which you don't hear his thoughts about, than the amount of time he spends thinking about oggling Mikuru.
Well Kyon does indicate a sort of attraction to Haruhi near the beginning of the show, for example Kyon's thoughts from episode 2 "A striking beauty stood before me." However, I don't think he's staying in the club simply to jump on top of Haruhi. Nonetheless, that thought seemed to be the last real compliment Kyon had for Haruhi that the viewers could easily discern. But I do agree that his constant focus of Haruhi (even though the story revolves around her, it's still prety excessive) must indicate some sort of attraction to her. It's also interesting to note that his positive thoughts of Mikuru make him much more human than if he kept constantly thinking positive thoughts about Haruhi which would make him look like a masochist.

I think that your view could also be the case for Yuki also. It seems that even though Yuki doesn't do much to catch attention, it seems there's always some reference of her from Kyon. There's really potential that Kyon sees her more than mere furniture in the club room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiro-Chan
This Suzumiya Haruhi is so popular.. But Chiro has never heard of it before now.. T_T Someone pm me and tell me what it issss!!! T_T
The general discussion thread should prove useful for a taste of Haruhi without watching the show, but I agree with Vexx, Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu isn't something to be described but rather experienced.

Last edited by Shirobane; 2006-06-01 at 17:01.
Old 2006-06-01, 16:52   Link #200
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
OT: The threads for this forum so completely rock compared to certain other series discussions. I can fervently disagree with posters here and still understand the dots they're connecting to get to their view --- rather than just stupid irrational ... anyway, ya'll get my point.

I should spend a moment and cookie 90% of our posters here....
lol the reason is because 90% of these posters including you and me are Haruhists. Our minds are united under the will of Haruhi-sama lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirobane
Well Kyon does indicate a sort of attraction to Haruhi near the beginning of the show, for example Kyon's thoughts from episode 2 "A striking beauty stood before me." However, I don't think he's staying in the club simply to jump on top of Haruhi. Nonetheless, that thought seemed to be the last real compliment Kyon had for Haruhi that the viewers could easily discern. But I do agree that his constant focus of Haruhi (even though the story revolves around her, it's still prety excessive) must indicate some sort of attraction to her. It's also interesting to note that his positive thoughts of Mikuru make him much more human than if he kept constantly thinking positive thoughts about Haruhi which would make him look like a masochist.
Well, does this mean that its actually love at first sight for Kyon?

Kyon's thoughts of Mikuru is something thats almost unique to this story.

And we've been presented this story by Kyon's views. So is Haruhi the main focus of the story or Kyon?

Closed Thread