AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2018-03-05, 02:44   Link #661
4th Dimension

Frankly my biggest problem with Movie 2nd (apart from actually not liking the finale fight scene which I found stupid but not in the good way) is that the fight scenes are few but eat a LOT of screen time, which is why one of biggest Nanoha's hero moments (when she fires the SLB so save everybody despite being drained) has been obliterated. Instead they all get trashed in the intro.

And I kinda liked the Graham subplot from A's. Not so much the Masked Men bit but how it put the entire incident in context. BoD is such a big problem that it drove a person EVERYONE considered a paragon of what TSAB Admiral should be to EXTREME measures. Plus the subplot that deals with its fallout is one of the best ones in GoD even though it takes a bit time to get to the conclusion.

Join Midchilda Discord server - a Nanoha community server
4th Dimension is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-05, 04:47   Link #662
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

The fight against Reinforce was pretty long indeed. My beef is that after their introductory fight the Wolkenritter was shafted hard in the movie. The middle season fight was reduced enormously and the impressive desert battle replaced by a very short 20 second skirmish (movie schlagenform Laevatein was pretty, sweet, though, sadly it was a blink and you miss it moment).

Speaking of which. I missed Schlagenform in Reflection. Hopefully Detonation brings it back.

...9 years ago, the day after never would be the same

~The ASFB~
Akiyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-05, 16:52   Link #663
4th Dimension

Well, my problem is not that it was long (well it's a problem that it ate into the character stuff, but I'm fine with long stuff explodes stuff), so much that it was made more "awesome" in the direction I didn't like. I didn't give an F about the stupid pile of snakes of the Defence System. And I especially didn't care for the stupid hand crossbow that Reinforce uses which is made worse by the commentary mentioning that this was supposedly main infantry weapon of the Belkans... which is once again doing the Vivid thing and making spaceship building Belkans into a bunch of techno-barbarians. And the drill bit which some found amazing I think stupid beyond belief. But again I have very specific ideas on how fighting spells and such should have been done, which is mostly informed by up to and including StrikerS content.

Other than that, if we took the battle out of the context, they were pretty damn well done, which is not much to say TBH considering we are comparing them with A's which was made like a decade or more before with much less of a budget.

But again the real issue is that fights tended to balloon their run time because they had higher production values and wanted to add more involved and fancy fights. What would have been just contrails in the sky slamming about in A's, now is a full motion animation that takes time and effort to show every swing of weapon and such.
Which all caused for the story to be radically redesigned to the point that I don't think it's telling the same story, but more a retelling/reimagining, unlike Movie 1st which while having problems of it's own is telling a recognizable TOS story.
Also this causes as you noted for the after the upgrade fights to be a bit meh because they are running out of time by then and need to set up for the big overblown finale that actually ADDS fight scenes by expending the fight with the activated form.

Plus as I said, I fucking hated how the re imagining of the initial fight nixed some of the best moments for Nanoha and even Yuuno (but then again that was normal by that time) and reduced a fight that kinda showed that Wolks were far from unstoppable into another jobbing in front of new "superior" opponent fight which is boring.

Old 2018-03-06, 03:45   Link #664
DragonXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Dimension View Post
Frankly my biggest problem with Movie 2nd (apart from actually not liking the finale fight scene which I found stupid but not in the good way) is that the fight scenes are few but eat a LOT of screen time, which is why one of biggest Nanoha's hero moments (when she fires the SLB so save everybody despite being drained) has been obliterated. Instead they all get trashed in the intro.

And I kinda liked the Graham subplot from A's. Not so much the Masked Men bit but how it put the entire incident in context. BoD is such a big problem that it drove a person EVERYONE considered a paragon of what TSAB Admiral should be to EXTREME measures. Plus the subplot that deals with its fallout is one of the best ones in GoD even though it takes a bit time to get to the conclusion.
You do know they have an excuse in series why the second movie didn't have the the Graham sub-plot . Remember that the first and second movie are real movie in Midchilda in the Nanoha's Force timeline. There no way the TSAB will let the people know that the BoD mess had to do which one of there higher-up. The movies are propaganda to made the TSAB look good.
DragonXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-06, 10:06   Link #665
4th Dimension

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonXX View Post
You do know they have an excuse in series why the second movie didn't have the the Graham sub-plot . Remember that the first and second movie are real movie in Midchilda in the Nanoha's Force timeline. There no way the TSAB will let the people know that the BoD mess had to do which one of there higher-up. The movies are propaganda to made the TSAB look good.
Ehh, I never really took that seriously, especially in light of "just some mom" Nanoha in Vivid, but then again my PERSONAL oppinion on Vivid vis a vis cannonicity is non-canon unless it fits previous stuff.

But leaving that aside, it's a MUCH weaker story than A's that really only has visuals to go for it. As such it's not really a good summary of A's even IMO except on most superficial input output level. (not that that has stopped people claim to me that Movies are new cannon and should be considered to be overwriting the old canon, and my oppinion on that is NO WAAY)

Old 2018-03-06, 17:59   Link #666
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Quote:
another jobbing in front of new "superior" opponent fight which is boring.
Tsuzuki's obsession with one sided fights needs to take a break.

~The ASFB~
Old 2018-03-06, 18:33   Link #667
4th Dimension

Well, it's not just him. It's a general fiction thing for less adept writers. Just have the heroes be trashed by the bigger bad to cheaply ratchet up the stakes, and then introduce a thingimajig to magically even the odds.

The beauty of A's was that while Wolks certainly had the skills to challenge and defeat the protagonists* their main advantage in that fight was a technological gimmick that had a timer on it and they had limited amounts of it, so you could show that the protagonists are still good enough to match them UNTIL cartridges get involved. And that despite being over matched the protagonists can still pull through, rather than be trash canned.

* and if we are honest, given how much expirience they should have had they should have wiped them even without the cartriges, not through POWWWWWAAAAAAAHH but better skill. But that would have not been as enjoyable experience for me.

Old 2018-03-07, 11:41   Link #668
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

It's a mixmatch for me. I liked that they show that while they became a match for the Wolks after the cartridge upgrade the Wolks were still consistently depicted as the more experienced warriors after A's which makes total sense given their status as centuries old war veterans. On one side Nanoha's tactical genius and heavy power fightstyle gave her an edge over Vita's tendencies while on the other Fate's finesse and speed were a more undecided match against Signum's seasoned solid skills and they kept clashing after A's. The Wolks remain pretty much the same towards StrikerS signifying their combat style was deemed effective for almost a decade. Reflections went out of it's way to show the TSAB wanted them to change and get new gadgets ASAP. I felt a little uncomfortable with that.

~The ASFB~
Old 2018-03-09, 01:27   Link #669
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Well cramming A's into one movie was never going to be a thing, and certainly not going to be a replacement. It's possible for season 1 since the first bit was slow paced but A's generally had very little wasted time.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-10, 09:29   Link #670
lyrical dark mage

Spoiler for Reflection:

Last edited by lyrical dark mage; 2018-04-10 at 11:57.
lyrical dark mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-10, 10:50   Link #671
4th Dimension

Khm Khm. You might want to spoiler tag that since the BD is not yet out. It's out tomorrow and some people might not like to know what you just posted here into the open...

Old 2018-04-10, 16:33   Link #672
Hiss13
No time to sleep, 不幸だ

Quote:
Khm Khm. You might want to spoiler tag that since the BD is not yet out. It's out tomorrow and some people might not like to know what you just posted here into the open...
Actually it came out today.

Source: My BD box came in the mail this morning while I was in class~

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2018-04-11, 03:15   Link #673
lyrical dark mage

It still hasn't come online though, anyway I already put the spoiler tag
Old 2018-04-12, 18:04   Link #674
lyrical dark mage

Anyway my question is what do you expect from Detonation?
Old 2018-04-13, 17:54   Link #675
4th Dimension

Reflection is now available on the "TOTALLY LEGAL" place although the subs are in SUP file which is only supported by Media Player classic. And the download is on the big side.

Subs themselves aren't stellar either, although they aren't constantly bad like this, these are just some examples:

Images
Examples
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Now that I have seen it I'm okay with it. I still think GoD is kinda better, although that has it's own advantages and disadvantages inherent in the format.

So now you know that I'm a big fan of the GoD story. Additionally I'm a big proponent of magic > "metal"[1][2]. So naturally I'm not the greatest fan of the "metal" apparent superiority shown in this.
Oh and add a massive Hayate fanboy to that too.

Spoiler for In more spoiled detail about that and other things:

So yeah. A fine movie. It didn't knowck my socks off. I'm just not a fan of Force recycled bits. Also I don't like what they did with Kyrie's character. All of her playful assholishness which made her FUN is GONE in this one. They try to have her work Fate over by appealing to let her go, but it doesn't work as GoD version for me. Also Iris keeps stealing Kyrie's GoD lines, god damn it.

Yeah, they reuse a bunch of lines from GoD which is to be expected, but not some of the better moments, because the movie just doesn't have the time for that. The entire incident seems that it will end in couple of days.

[1] - By metal I mean normal physical objects and weapons. Like if someone asked what would happen if someone opened fire from an assault rifle at a typical Sailling Force Mage, I would say nothing would happen. Even automatic BrJ defenses are good enough to stop that. But I admit this is HIGHLY subjective. It's just so you know where I'm coming from.
[2] But that's not to say that I want things to be more MYSTICAL. I'm totally fine with magic being used technologically. And I'm fine pretty much if it's used in any form that makes sense. You want big mech looking suits that get summoned around the mage? Well BrJ is kinda that but that's okay. Computers using magic to power themselves and think? Also fine.
[3] Unlike in series proper where Reinforce dies WITH the BoNS and the tomes Hayate and Rein use had to be recreated from the bits and pieces Reinforce left with Hayate herself.
[4] Transformations: At first I was willing to give the movie credit for giving us a transformation sequences that WEREN'T creepy. Nanoha's one wasn't, mostly...but then Fate's one happened, which I should have expected[5], with full view of her barbie doll anatomy naked chest... At least Kyrie's one contained a squint and you might think adult body...
[5] Fate is generally used for two things. Testarossa angst/emotions segment, and FANSERVICE.
[6] Eternal Crystal Examia in game was the thing POWERING Unbreakable Darkness/Yuri. It was part of her, her power source, and the source of RIDICULOUS power Will of the BoD and the defence system had while they had access to it. Which neatly explained how Defense System!Reinforce could tank point blank busters but later be defeated rather easily once Hayate pulled the plug on it's access to everything.

Old 2018-04-13, 18:38   Link #676
Serovectra

Quote:
[4] Transformations: At first I was willing to give the movie credit for giving us a transformation sequences that WEREN'T creepy. Nanoha's one wasn't, mostly...but then Fate's one happened, which I should have expected[5], with full view of her barbie doll anatomy naked chest... At least Kyrie's one contained a squint and you might think adult body...
Uh, that has been a staple in all three movies. In the 2nd a's movie Nanoha has a front and center nipple focused henshin scene. Even the original series had it to some extent, albeit it gets hampered by a lower budget. Was there some other fanservice I overlooked? It sounds grossly exaggerated.
Serovectra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-13, 18:53   Link #677
Hiss13
No time to sleep, 不幸だ

Quote:

Also I don't like what they did with Kyrie's character. All of her playful assholishness which made her FUN is GONE in this one.
This was honestly my biggest gripe with the movie. Where's my playful, flirty, trollish Kyrie?

That and Nanoha's transformation sequence being done at the beginning rather than it being placed at the end before she saved everyone's collective asses. Would have fit more thematically in line with the nature of transformation sequences that way.
Old 2018-04-13, 20:43   Link #678
lyrical dark mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiss13 View Post
This was honestly my biggest gripe with the movie. Where's my playful, flirty, trollish Kyrie?

That and Nanoha's transformation sequence being done at the beginning rather than it being placed at the end before she saved everyone's collective asses. Would have fit more thematically in line with the nature of transformation sequences that way.
My guess is they wanted to do the transformation scenes as fast as possible, another thing is the transformations were brief compared to the other movies which I really liked.
Old 2018-04-14, 04:52   Link #679
4th Dimension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serovectra View Post
Uh, that has been a staple in all three movies. In the 2nd a's movie Nanoha has a front and center nipple focused henshin scene. Even the original series had it to some extent, albeit it gets hampered by a lower budget. Was there some other fanservice I overlooked? It sounds grossly exaggerated.
Oh I'm aware that it was present even back then, probably the worst was TOS that had part of it have a lingering shot of her neither regions.

But they have been becoming rarer and rarer as the franchise went on and shook it's Just Another Magical Girl roots...
Then Vivid happened.

And since then fanservice has been the order of the day.

As a comparison:

Nanoha's one felt less lingering on the nudity aspect, where Fate's...well...

But that might be just me.

Old 2018-04-14, 09:45   Link #680
Serovectra

Quote:
Oh I'm aware that it was present even back then, probably the worst was TOS that had part of it have a lingering shot of her neither regions.

But they have been becoming rarer and rarer as the franchise went on and shook it's Just Another Magical Girl roots...
Then Vivid happened.

And since then fanservice has been the order of the day.

As a comparison:

Nanoha's one felt less lingering on the nudity aspect, where Fate's...well...

But that might be just me.
It was a one second scene. They both had it. They showed the nipples in the A's movie. Both henshins are definitely less risque than a's movie had them. As well as shorter. I'm hesitant to even call those henshins fan service.
Serovectra is offline   Reply With Quote