Byakko - white tiger
Susaku - red pheonix
Genbu - black tortoise
Kuchin -
Nanju -
Hokuto -
Santai -
Gyokunyo-
The article was helpful, but sadly the kanji gets messed up on my computer. These are all related not just to animals but to the constellations, directions, colors, even seasons. Anyone getting Fushigi Yuugi flashbacks?

I'm having a difficult time finding the last 5 though, because they are the Japanese pronouciations of Chinese gods. Gah! Confusing! And I've heard of an old tale of a Nine-Taled Fox that impersonated the emperor's daughter and caused general havoc. Hey wait a minute...*Naruko*

BTW, a great place to look up kanji (if you can get it to work on your comp!) is this site KanjiDict.
jennwenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-15, 01:38   Link #42
<xellos>
As a WHM I help people

has anyone thought maybe the 9 Great Demons, were completely fictional and made up by Kishimoto? he obviously has a wild imagination
<xellos> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-15, 01:56   Link #43
socomberetta
Dreaming of you.

Well, Kyubi(Kitsune) and Shukaku(Tanuki) are based off of Japanese mythology, so we know for a fact that he didnt make those characters up.

I think he made up the part where he called Kyubi one of the great 9 Youma. Ive searched the net for awhile and I couldnt come up with any stories about 8 other great youma. Nor have I found any stories depicting the kitsune as belonging to some group of all powerful demons.

Interesting note:
Shukaku is said to be the spirit of a dead priest sealed in a tea kettle earlier in the manga, and then he's also referred to as a demon(I think...), well, in one of the myths about the Tanuki, he is said to have the ability to take any form, and its two favorite are as a monk or as a tea kettle.
Also, he also has giant testicles, which he bangs on like drums from time to time.
socomberetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-15, 08:27   Link #44
DAyGO

Send a message via AIM to DAyGO Send a message via MSN to DAyGO Send a message via Yahoo to DAyGO
Quote:
Originally Posted by socomberetta
Well, Kyubi(Kitsune) and Shukaku(Tanuki) are based off of Japanese mythology, so we know for a fact that he didnt make those characters up.

I think he made up the part where he called Kyubi one of the great 9 Youma. Ive searched the net for awhile and I couldnt come up with any stories about 8 other great youma. Nor have I found any stories depicting the kitsune as belonging to some group of all powerful demons.

Interesting note:
Shukaku is said to be the spirit of a dead priest sealed in a tea kettle earlier in the manga, and then he's also referred to as a demon(I think...), well, in one of the myths about the Tanuki, he is said to have the ability to take any form, and its two favorite are as a monk or as a tea kettle.
Also, he also has giant testicles, which he bangs on like drums from time to time.

i was reading some where on foxs and how their a major folklore or myth thing in japan. they had foxes but it didnt seem the same as narutos fox becuse these would only inter girls bodys through the breast. unless thiers something about naruto we dont know. they had a 9 tails fox that everyone tired to kill but its hard to find info on it. thier was like 2 foxs ones that were good and the ones that where evil perhaps the one that was evil was the nine tails.

9 is considerd a suppior number in budhust or something (sry cant spell that for the life of me)
DAyGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-15, 12:23   Link #45
Kisame Hoshigaki

9 demons for 9 members of the atsuka, ugh however u spell it doesnt make sense.

if you look at the manga kisame mentions that gaara is no longer in the village so kisame and itachi were not just looking for naruto. therefore you either believe that the shukaku is one of the youma or that itachis organization is looking for anyone with powerful demons in them.
Kisame Hoshigaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-15, 12:40   Link #46
Vicious
merely a ghost

Send a message via ICQ to Vicious Send a message via MSN to Vicious
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisame Hoshigaki
9 demons for 9 members of the atsuka, ugh however u spell it doesnt make sense.

if you look at the manga kisame mentions that gaara is no longer in the village so kisame and itachi were not just looking for naruto. therefore you either believe that the shukaku is one of the youma or that itachis organization is looking for anyone with powerful demons in them.
Huh... Kisame and Itachi never mentioned Gaara. Not even once.

Maybe you read a mistranslation. I've seen some people say that before, and it indeed was a mistranslation (the own translator admited it). If you refer to chapter 139 page 1, here's the real translation of it. Itachi and Kisame never mentioned Gaara at all, and Shukkaku isn't one of the Great 9. It has been stated that he's the spirit of an old sand priest sealed within a tea kettle.

The Akatsuki is looking for the Great 9, and Shukkaku is not one of them.
Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-15, 12:47   Link #47
Hunter Nin.

BTW, the demons don't necessarily have to be "Inside" anyone.

We know there are 9 all together and we know that Kyubi is one of them. Kyubi has been sealed and I wonder where the others are. It may or may not be coincidence that there are 9 members of Akatsuki and that they are after Kyubi... but.. nah it's gotta lead somewhere.

Also, do you have anything else on that Nine Tailed fox? That could be interesting.

Man there are a whole lot of 9's around here.
Hunter Nin. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-15, 14:16   Link #48
Nine Devil
Master(Vicious)'s Padawan

euhm the Akatsuki can't capture the demon's by themself. We are talking about Youma here they are the most powerfull thing in the Naruto universe. So if they can get their hands on Naruto things might change.
Old 2004-04-15, 14:27   Link #49
Chosen
Me > Mods ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious

Maybe you read a mistranslation. I've seen some people say that before, and it indeed was a mistranslation (the own translator admited it). If you refer to chapter 139 page 1, here's the real translation of it. Itachi and Kisame never mentioned Gaara at all, and Shukkaku isn't one of the Great 9. It has been stated that he's the spirit of an old sand priest sealed within a tea kettle.

Where do they mention that they are after the Great 9 ?
I can only find where Jiraya sais that they are after Kyubi innside Naruto.
Tell me wich Chapter.
Chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-15, 14:37   Link #50
Nine Devil
Master(Vicious)'s Padawan

Chosen-san

we just assume they are after the Youma too cuz Akatsuki want to obtain all power and jutsu so they most probably are after the Youma.
Old 2004-04-15, 14:53   Link #51
jennwenn

Here is a link to information about Nine-tailed fox folklore. There are tales of the kyubi in China, Japan, and Korea. They tend to be tricksters, transform into women, and malevolent.

Can anyone figure out what the last five demons/symbols are? I haven't gotten this far in the manga yet either, so I can't pick up any clues...
jennwenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-15, 15:02   Link #52
Chosen
Me > Mods ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine Devil
Chosen-san

we just assume they are after the Youma too cuz Akatsuki want to obtain all power and jutsu so they most probably are after the Youma.
Assume yes! But it looked like Vicious KNEW it the way he wrote
But we only know of one of em yet! And do we know if they are nine ? Maybe the are only 3 youmas ? :P
Old 2004-04-15, 15:27   Link #53
xyrrus

The story telling is all wrong, according to historical data on the myth of the 9 tails, there were actually 10 demons and are associated to a zodiac, I dunno which one. There were only 10 months because if you look back into history further than the Romans, the world believed there were 10 months but corrected it by adding 2 more months August(after Augustus), and July(after Julius Caesar). In this zodiac there was a fox which I think represented one of the month where a major battle was waged between all the creatures of the zodiac. Since it was the month of the fox, it had the advantage who then consumed all the other 9 zodiacs and gained a tail for each one it consumed thus "nine tails".

Spoiler:
xyrrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-15, 15:38   Link #54
Chosen
Me > Mods ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyrrus
The story telling is all wrong, according to historical data on the myth of the 9 tails, there were actually 10 demons and are associated to a zodiac, I dunno which one. There were only 10 months because if you look back into history further than the Romans, the world believed there were 10 months but corrected it by adding 2 more months August(after Augustus), and July(after Julius Caesar). In this zodiac there was a fox which I think represented one of the month where a major battle was waged between all the creatures of the zodiac. Since it was the month of the fox, it had the advantage who then consumed all the other 9 zodiacs and gained a tail for each one it consumed thus "nine tails".

Spoiler:
arrrrrrg! That actually did make sense! :P

Last edited by Chosen; 2004-04-15 at 15:58.
Old 2004-04-15, 15:40   Link #55
PinkSpider
先輩

Send a message via ICQ to PinkSpider Send a message via MSN to PinkSpider
Quote:
Originally Posted by xyrrus

Spoiler:
Hey i almost got tricked! argh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PinkSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-15, 15:59   Link #56
Chosen
Me > Mods ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkSpider
Hey i almost got tricked! argh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!Off-Topic!

pffft... "ALMOST" ?!?! I know you got tricked! Don't be shy
Old 2004-04-15, 18:04   Link #57
Vicious
merely a ghost

Send a message via ICQ to Vicious Send a message via MSN to Vicious
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosen
Assume yes! But it looked like Vicious KNEW it the way he wrote
But we only know of one of em yet! And do we know if they are nine ? Maybe the are only 3 youmas ? :P
Refer to my first post in this thread:

Quote:
And like someone said before, everything leads us to believe the Akatsuki is in search for not only the Kyuubi, but the Great 9. 9 members in the organization, 9 Great Demons. Coincidence? I wouldn't say so
It's an assumption, not a fact. It may be true or it may be not.

And for the Great 9, Kishimoto himself stated that in the Special Books and in an interview. There's Great 9 Demons in Naruto, and the Kyuubi is one of them.
Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-15, 18:08   Link #58
Chosen
Me > Mods ;)

Quote:
Refer to my first post in this thread:

It's an assumption, not a fact. It may be true or it may be not.

And for the Great 9, Kishimoto himself stated that in the Special Books and in an interview. There's Great 9 Demons in Naruto, and the Kyuubi is one of them.
Aah. Didn't see your first post and the post i quoted on it seemed like you were so sure about what you said but please forgive me
Old 2004-04-15, 20:25   Link #59
Kisame Hoshigaki

Quote:

i never said the shukaku was one the the youma, and how the heck do you mistranslated a name into something like that, not saying i dont believe you but a link would be appreciated.
Kisame Hoshigaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-15, 20:58   Link #60
socomberetta
Dreaming of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisame Hoshigaki
i never said the shukaku was one the the youma, and how the heck do you mistranslated a name into something like that, not saying i dont believe you but a link would be appreciated.
No manga translator is perfect, so youre bound to come across a few mistranslations now and then. Even on something as simple as names.

Spoiler:
socomberetta is offline   Reply With Quote