Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-04-09, 21:03   Link #1
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Horror movies

The other day, my friends were arguing about horror movies in a video store. We were talking what movies scares you most. And then one of them said zombies, cause they are everywhere and just keep coming. My other friend was like laughing at him, she said zombie is not scary, they too slow, you can outrun them, you'll be in the next town before they even catch you.

And then they asked me what scared me most. I said the little girl in horror movies with the happy smile and singing a happy tune while carrying a big kitchen knife. I got laughed alot there, i can't argue with their logic, the little girl still scares me. >_<

Just wondering if anyone has their own favorite horror movies, well not just favorite, but something that really scares you and make you cannot sleep and stuffs. ^^
Secca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-09, 21:11   Link #2
MikoKikyo

I luv scary movies, but I have yet to find one that trully scares me.... (otherwise I probably wouldn't like them). The Exorcist and The Ring are my favorite scary movies.

By the way, if you like zombie movies, try 28 Days Later. It's pretty good.

Last edited by MikoKikyo; 2004-04-10 at 23:44. Reason: I can't type
MikoKikyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-09, 21:20   Link #3
Lexander
www.thefestlanders.com

The scariest to me is the innocent looking little girl around 10 years old in a nightgown. This character is a theme in a few horror or semihorror movies I've seen and it scares me shitless. I tried to avoid eyecontact with little girls for a week after seeing the ring.
Evil kids, who still have their general human feautures are the worst.
Zombies are generally not scary to me.
Lexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-09, 21:22   Link #4
Drunken_Boxer
o.0

Send a message via MSN to Drunken_Boxer
i like horror movies too, but theres so many upsets that it well...upsets me.

House on Haunted hill, The Exorcist, Poltergiest.

now a good horror movie that i found thrilling was 'Event Horizon' Now THAT'S a horror movie.
Drunken_Boxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-09, 21:31   Link #5
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken_Boxer
i like horror movies too, but theres so many upsets that it well...upsets me.

House on Haunted hill, The Exorcist, Poltergiest.

now a good horror movie that i found thrilling was 'Event Horizon' Now THAT'S a horror movie.
The gory stuffs?
Old 2004-04-09, 21:45   Link #6
mantidor
the Iniquitous

Send a message via Yahoo to mantidor
Horror movies!!! this bring back memories 'cause this was the genre of my childhood...

Nightmare on elm street movies: Freddy is the best. Period. I had a nightmare with him and that can be really scary, it made me pray every night for a whole month! my favorites are the fourth and the six( the one with freddy's past, that was cool)

Night of the living death: my favorite is the first, the B&W and the remake, they are very psichological IMO, the others are just zombie fests but still fun to watch,

Friday the 13th: i actually didn't watch this series a lot, i remember i watched the first one and like it, but the others were pretty silly...

Childs play: which is know here as "chuky, the diabolic doll" really! when they bring movies here the translators change the titles completly! "chuky, the diabolic doll" sound very stupid to me. i just love the whole trhee movies, haven't seen bride of chucky though

Dracula: the francis ford coppola one. This wasn't scary for me, but i jumped in the part when dracula comes out like a were-bat (if there is such a thing), my dad took me to the theater as my 11th birthday present!! OMG this is as nostalgic as the "my first anime" thread in the general anime forums

those (and many,many more) are my childhood horror movies, the more recent ones...

the ring:this wasn't scary for me at all, but after you saw Nightmare on elm street when you were six, what else would you expect?? what i really like about the movie is the suspense and detective work from asakawa, i like this movie a lot.

The others:Amazing movie, far better than the sixth sense, and besides amazing performance by every actor and actress.

i don't recall others, but if i remember i'l tell you

any grammar/spelling erros feel completly free to say so
mantidor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-09, 21:46   Link #7
Drunken_Boxer
o.0

not just the gorry stuff, but the....how could i explain...quiet climax/errie-ness like...

Spoiler:

that kind of stuff is horror, horror isnt based upon decapitations and guts flying. (that's why Freddy and Jason are considered comedy horror)

horror is when u get chills down to the bone marrow. sadly alot of movies lack in that part, or dont show much of it.
Old 2004-04-09, 21:49   Link #8
aahhsin

I think the scariest character is "Night of the Hunter"

Who the hell wouldn't be scared of a preaching priest carrying a knife stalking you?

Worst off he's a priest the supposed holiest humans there are.

Vampries from chinese movies are hella freaky too.

All they do is stick their hands out and start jumping at you. I mean WTF? Who wouldn't run from that?
aahhsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-09, 21:50   Link #9
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantidor
Nightmare on elm street movies: Freddy is the best. Period. I had a nightmare with him and that can be really scary, it made me pray every night for a whole month! my favorites are the fourth and the six( the one with freddy's past, that was cool)
Oh God, that bring back bad bad memories and lost sleeps. ^^
Old 2004-04-09, 21:53   Link #10
Secca
nya`
*Artist

How about The Blob? everyone got scared of that one? I remember for a while after watching the Blob, I wouldn't dare touch the kitchen sink. >_<
Old 2004-04-09, 21:53   Link #11
Drunken_Boxer
o.0

hey mantidor have u seen 'Ringu'? that was descent, its the acutal movie of the ring. (japanese) and in my opinion, better then the ring.

actually now that i remembered, has anyone seen 'The Eye'? its a japanese movie and i saw the trailer when it was coming to N.America. the trailer was interesting.

[edit] the blob! Yes! i saw that when i was young! I was scared to eat jello for months.
Old 2004-04-09, 22:07   Link #12
mantidor
the Iniquitous

Send a message via Yahoo to mantidor
Quote:
hey mantidor have u seen 'Ringu'? that was descent, its the acutal movie of the ring. (japanese) and in my opinion, better then the ring.

actually now that i remembered, has anyone seen 'The Eye'? its a japanese movie and i saw the trailer when it was coming to N.America. the trailer was interesting.

[edit] the blob! Yes! i saw that when i was young! I was scared to eat jello for months.
that's the one im talking about! if you read carefully, you'd noticed i mentioned asakawa, instead of "what's her name" from the american version. I saw both actually, and of course i like the japanese more, but the other one wasn't that bad...

I just remember other Bloody birthday probably is not the original name, as i told you every title gets changed here. Is about three children born the same day, in an eclipse, when they are like 12 years old, they kill everyone in their birthday party by putting ant's poison in the cake, pretty silly story.

And the Exorcist and the prophecy series, oh and Poltergeist series, me and my cousins gathered together and saw ALL those movies, my older cousins were probably between 13 and 15 years old, but me and the other little cousins were 8 years old! my older cousins were evil!

EDIT:

I saw recently Dark Water. Is a japanese movie, anyone has seen it????
mantidor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-09, 22:07   Link #13
ShinDragon

Hm..... talk about horror movies...

I want to see Dark Water (Hollywood's remake version). The original Japanese version was OK, not scarey at all.

Another movie, that I'd like to watch is "Ju-On 2" (AKA: The Grudge). My friend told me it was better than the 1st one.

And here's the last one I want to watch. => CHAKUARI (Directed by Takashi Miike, same director who did "Koroshiya")

Official Website
http://www.chakuari.jp/
ShinDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-09, 22:34   Link #14
HoboGod
Necromancer

i love horror movies, i grew up with them and i never get tired of them. when I was a kid, zombies scared me the most. it isn't the fact that they are so goddamn many of them, or the fact that they eat people, it isn't the fact that they keep coming... what scared the shit out of me was that these things were dead, lifeless corpses. you look at a dead body and it will haunt you to remember that person as a living thing.... but memories are just memories and dreams are just dreams.... for that person to come back and walk around in the lifeless shell is pretty twisted like a bad nightmare.

another thing that scared me as a child were serial killers... those silent stalkers like michael myers and jason vorhees. they were out their, they didn't want to talk to you, they didn't want to reason with you, they didn't want to change who you were... they just wanted you dead. no reason to kill you, no motives at all, you could be a fucking saint and this complete stranger would rip you open....
HoboGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-09, 22:38   Link #15
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

The absolutely most terrifying movie I ever saw was Tremors

Really old, so for those who don't remember it, its about giant mutated earthworms that can hear you walking on the ground, and then they burrow through the ground and come up and eat you from below. I saw it when I was like 5 or something. For a whole damn week I was so scared to walk on the floor, and I stayed in the second story of my house as much as I could. The movie still scares me!!!..........Don't laugh at me! *cries*
Roots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-10, 06:40   Link #16
Nothing Special
Hello.

Quote:
… horror is when u get chills down to the bone marrow. sadly alot of movies lack in that part, or dont show much of it.
w3rd. Atmosphere is critical to a horror movie. If a movie loses its atmosphere and pacing, I won't be scared as much.

Another reason why I'm not scared nowadays is because I'm so desensitized that my reaction is usually, "Whoa, that was a cool death," instead of horrified shock.

Movies I like:
  • They
  • Session 9 (not really horror but it's very eerie)
  • 28 Days Later
  • Nightmare on Elm Street (this was my first horror movie)
  • Jeepers Creepers (the sequel really sucked though)
  • The Puppet Master
  • Hellraiser
  • The Ring

I haven't seen The Others yet.
Nothing Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-10, 12:59   Link #17
Drunken_Boxer
o.0

going to rent 'Texas Chainsaw Masacre' tonight, want to see the difference between the old one and the current one.

also i want to see if Blockbuster has 'The Eye'

do i expect Texas Chainsaw to be scary? we'll see soon enough.

Quote:
Movies I like:

They
Session 9 (not really horror but it's very eerie)
28 Days Later
Nightmare on Elm Street (this was my first horror movie)
Jeepers Creepers (the sequel really sucked though)
The Puppet Master
Hellraiser
The Ring
28 days later was pretty good for a low budget brit movie.

but of course no low budget movie could beat..................... THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT!
Old 2004-04-10, 13:11   Link #18
MikoKikyo

Quote:
28 days later was pretty good for a low budget brit movie.

but of course no low budget movie could beat..................... THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT!
OMG THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Everyone watch "Sleepwalkers"!! It's supposed to be a horror movie, but it's sooo funny....I watched it with my friends and we were cracking up the whole time It's hillarious in so many ways
MikoKikyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-10, 17:56   Link #19
Jaz
omgwtf?!

Send a message via MSN to Jaz
Sleepwalkers....isn't that the movie with the catpeople?

Anyway, Jeepers Creepers isn't at the least bit scary, the credibility is taken when the murderer with the axe turns out to be some sort of winged monster...BORING. Axes are way cooler.

The movies that scared me the most where:
The Ring
Puppet Master.... Horror movies with dolls are always freaking me out, though Chucky doesn't. The Chucky movies are just weird.

And Tremors??? I didn't found that movie the least bit scary, I actually like the worm thingies, the one that raced of the cliff the most of cource
Jaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-10, 18:12   Link #20
Black Jaggan
Killing Intent

The most scary persons are the ones that are just walking around and acting suspious, while you're not sure they are important. The ones of which you think at every step they take : "What is he doing? Why is he acting all weird?"

I like the fairytales horror stuff...like... "In the company of wolves". That one freaked me out, cause I hate animal/human transformations...well, when they look like that that is. And it has an open ending...which sux, cause i like to get the answers...
Black Jaggan is offline   Reply With Quote