AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-01-03, 12:59   Link #201
Algent

The first half of the first ep was really bad, ithad a lot of plot, but not the good type of plot, it was going nowhere.
The second half saved the episode by being a bit interesting.
I expected more of that first episode, it's a bit disappointing. I didn't expected something serious but at least something entertaining and right now I'm not sure it's going this way.
Algent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-03, 17:07   Link #202
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Here's a characters/seiyuus page for this show, with pics of the main characters and their seiyuus, and a bit of info about each seiyuu. Some interesting grand old names here (ages 62, 65, and 81), as well as a youth (16) and a member of the excellent idol group 9nine. And Kuwashima Houko.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-03, 20:15   Link #203
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Nice to see Hatakeyama Kousuke getting some more work. He can do drama (Nitorin) and comedy (the younger villainous Tanuki brother in Uchouten) and there aren't a lot of actual teenagers voicing teenagers on the male side.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-04, 01:38   Link #204
LuxorMG
ItadakiMAKO

Hahaha I loved Ginkaku and Kinkaku in Uchouten. And Hatakeyama's only 16? Whoa, young.
Old 2014-01-04, 23:24   Link #205
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Well, tonight is the night! Who's going to watching this on Toonami before anyone else watches it in Japanese legally?
Old 2014-01-04, 23:31   Link #206
Suzuku
(`・⊝・´)/\(`・⊝・´)

Alrite let's do this

>Boobies boobie boobies

>the real show is down below

THIS GUY IS MC OF THE YEAR ALL YEARS

This is like Archer in space

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2014-01-05 at 00:04. Reason: Please use the "edit" button to add content to your post instead of double/triple posting.
Suzuku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-04, 23:36   Link #207
HighGuard

I'm pretty sure I'll be dropping this after tonight.....
HighGuard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-04, 23:43   Link #208
Suzuku
(`・⊝・´)/\(`・⊝・´)

Statue of Kinkiness
Old 2014-01-05, 00:00   Link #209
Suzuku
(`・⊝・´)/\(`・⊝・´)

I'm satisfied, will definitely stick with this. Looking forward to it getting better and better as it goes along.
Old 2014-01-05, 00:40   Link #210
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I can't bring myself to watch it in English, even if it is the first legally on the street.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-05, 01:31   Link #211
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I can't bring myself to watch it in English, even if it is the first legally on the street.

Actually I was just thinking the same thing....

To be honest I have familiarized myself with the series not at all, and am flying into it blind - am curious to see what sort of impression it will give.
Old 2014-01-05, 07:08   Link #212
ultimate_noob
Skwid Fan

Dub is OK. Will wait for subs. I...I just can't with the English. Its like I'm watching FG or Simpsons with it.

I'll judge it after the subs.
ultimate_noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-05, 08:15   Link #213
darkchibi07

Isn't that Watanabe's goal? To create a self-contained space comedy where it's easy to get into in any episode?
Old 2014-01-05, 08:37   Link #214
orpheus2
Pleased to Meet You

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchibi07 View Post
Isn't that Watanabe's goal? To create a self-contained space comedy where it's easy to get into in any episode?
This show is more or less aimed for people's nostalgia.

The comedy is somewhat good as well as the dub. I will watch a few more before following.
Old 2014-01-05, 09:05   Link #215
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I'm always willing to give a dub a shot and in some cases go even further (I waited until dubs were out for FMA: Brotherhood before watching it and I don't regret it) but unfortunately Ian Sinclair's voice for Dandy just makes it impossible for me to even stand him. He just sounds so God damn obnoxious. All the other characters are fine, but I think I'm gonna have to stick with subs on this one.

As for the story, the animation was pretty sweet but the story was pretty much all comedy and I only found it mildly amusing. I hope they don't keep saying "boobies" because I don't think anyone over the age of 15 says that more than occasionally these days.

I don't know how on earth Dandy and that robot managed to mistake a sticker for a unique marking though. That takes a special degree of stupidity.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-05, 09:41   Link #216
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Oh thank God. Animax Asia is not only airing the show at the same time as Japan but it's also airing with the English dub as well! (I find this surprising since it's a Funimation dub and Funimation dubs are only available to North America which Animax Asia uses other dub studios in Hong Kong for shows that Funimation already licensed.) The downside is censoring the very sexy scenes but that doesn't bother me.

I enjoy the dub and the show looks unique.
Old 2014-01-05, 10:49   Link #217
neshru

Not the most inspired Shinichiro Watanabe show yet, but the second half of the first episode was incredibly impressive for the animation alone. The animators really went to town on it.
Yutaka Nakamura's part was amazing, as it generally is. Also great job by young foreigner animator Bahi JD, and a couple of other animators that I couldn't recognize.
neshru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-05, 10:53   Link #218
kuromitsu

Oookay, so I just watched the first episode, and I'm sorry to say that it's still not my cup of tea, in fact I'm inclined to think that this kind of, er, sucked, given the show's pedigree)

There's clearly a whole lot of attention paid to the visuals, and they do look great; but frankly, for a comedy the timing is completely off most of the time. The gags are either just not funny, or you can see them coming form miles, or the punchlines fall flat; and in the very rare case when they don't and the joke is actually funny, there's still something off - a lack of energy? effort? that makes it lackluster and simply not funny to me.
Spoiler for second half of the episode:

(Even the voice acting falters a bit every now and then, the voices not following the tempo and energy of the visuals, and I wonder why that is. My guess is that the voices were recorded to incomplete animation and then the animators just went on with their job and didn't bother to match the animation to the voices.)

So yeah. But Suwabe Junichi is still great, so I'll be back for episode 2, if only for him.

Last edited by kuromitsu; 2014-01-05 at 11:26. Reason: one of these days I'll write a post that doesn't require extensive editing afterwards...
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-05, 11:18   Link #219
darkchibi07

Wait, even the Japanese sounded flat? Geez, that makes the overall first episode kind of iffy and not pack enough punch. But there's potential!
Old 2014-01-05, 12:34   Link #220
Utsuro no Hako

So is this streaming on Funimation or Hulu yet?
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, retro sci-fi