AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2004-12-19, 19:18   Link #1
Anastasia-chan

Show old new torrents?

How can I show new torrents from few days ago? All are gone from site reason tv-nihon group.
Did they batch so much on purpose to make the site less good?
Can you maybe make some moderator allow torrents to make it not happen again?
Anastasia-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-19, 21:33   Link #2
7thMethuselah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anastasia-chan
How can I show new torrents from few days ago? All are gone from site reason tv-nihon group.
tv-nihon most likely batched the torrents so that it's easier to keep them seeded. Seeding 50 single files is alot harder thatn seeding 10 batch torrents.

If you wanna know if an episode was released of a series you like you'll have to check the individual series pages.
7thMethuselah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-19, 23:08   Link #3
jbell

Quote:
So, do you often complain about things that make life easier? Or when things that aren't available via BT are made easily available?
jbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-20, 00:22   Link #4
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

The site shows the last four days regardless of how many torrents were released on those days. The plethora of torrents that TV Nihon released has had absolutely no affect on that.

Unfortunately there is no way to see new torrents of older than the last 4 days. That would be a nice feature so perhaps it will be included when AnimeSuki is eventually upgraded some day in the not too soon future.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.

Last edited by NoSanninWa; 2004-12-21 at 02:13. Reason: Removed unpleasant reference.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-20, 00:51   Link #5
Anastasia-chan

I thinked it shows the last 50 not matter of age, reason i remember there are about a week of torrent normal.

@7thMethuselah:
thanks
Anastasia-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-20, 03:34   Link #6
Cyberdramon

Quote:
Just FYI here, friend, but we at TV-Nihon weren't exactly, uh, expecting that to happen. Apparently Animesuki's wicked cool Spiderbot picked them up much to our suprise... So please don't hate on us ^_^;;;
Cyberdramon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-20, 04:36   Link #7
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Quote:
I thinked it shows the last 50 not matter of age, reason i remember there are about a week of torrent normal.

@7thMethuselah:
thanks
Just checked the site before and after I added a few new torrents. My appologies. It does indeed show the 50 latest torrents. I never noticed that before.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2004-12-20, 07:25   Link #8
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

I was going to say you should be able to "List by Release Date" but I think there is a bug in there somewhere as it isn't listing the last 50 by release date. Still, there are a number of sites that use our RSS feed; You can use such sites to get a "by day" list that goes back beyond what we feel the need to list.
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-20, 14:33   Link #9
N-Bomb
King of Braves
*Fansubber

N-Bomb's view on this stink has been removed for everyone's sake.

and on the topic of torrent floods... come on. They're neither neccisary nor beneficial. All they do is flood the tracker, the listings, and make a mess for people. Certainly this could've been spread out a few days to avoid this kind of pile, and the end result of having all the batches up would be exactly the same.

Respect you user base as you want them to respect you. The current system works fine as long as you work within its more than reasonable limits.

Last edited by NoSanninWa; 2004-12-21 at 02:20. Reason: sanitized
N-Bomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-20, 15:20   Link #10
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
Quote:
Originally Posted by N-Bomb
I don't believe he's the one who started anything, and on the topic of torrent floods... come on. They're neither neccisary nor beneficial. All they do is flood the tracker, the listings, and make a mess for people. Certainly this could've been spread out a few days to avoid this kind of pile, and the end result of having all the batches up would be exactly the same.

Respect you user base as you want them to respect you. The current system works fine as long as you work within its more than reasonable limits.
I dunno, but somehow I tend to believe what Cyberdramon wrote. Then again you can never confirm if someone is lying on the I-Net. But that's not the point of the thread.

Well, since everyone is giving suggestions on how to implement showing more torrents with AnimeSuki v2: A page system (not unlike the forum pages work) would be nice. It would even save bandwith if you'd display only the torrents of 2 days per page or so.
Cookies could be used to display only series by specific fansub groups (i.e. showing only A-Keep's releases or showing every release but A-Keep's) to preserve bandwidth.
_Sin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-21, 01:04   Link #11
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Massive releases of batch torrents do cause a bit of a mess. That's why we spaced this one out over the course of 3 days. (We released no more than 6 batches of each show per day.) TV-Nihon actually released all 33 batches on a single day.

Old 2004-12-21, 02:42   Link #12
DekaMaster
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
Massive releases of batch torrents do cause a bit of a mess. That's why we spaced this one out over the course of 3 days. (We released no more than 6 batches of each show per day.) TV-Nihon actually released all 33 batches on a single day.

So then AS needs to refine their system as some have stated. I mean groups will release torrents as they see fit not based on listing sites addition. And nbomb It's fun having lots of releases. People get to see things and enjoy what they download. Maybe you should take the time to enjoy things and not be so uptight
DekaMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-21, 14:35   Link #13
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

"hacked" this together today:
http://excelsior.animesuki.com/?nolimit=1
This has no 50 entry limit, but does still limit to 1 week max.

A proper "archive" page or something similar is something that's on the "to do" list
(but don't hold your breath for it).
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-21, 18:51   Link #14
N-Bomb
King of Braves
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekaMaster
So then AS needs to refine their system as some have stated. I mean groups will release torrents as they see fit not based on listing sites addition. And nbomb It's fun having lots of releases. People get to see things and enjoy what they download.
That's a good reason to speedsub too, but as I've said, I think the current system works more than fine. Barring torrent floods, it's held up well for the past year or two that it's been up, and I've missed very few torrents.

If I do, I either have #Animecentral as backup, or I can just look a a given series' or group's page to find what I've missed.

Upgrades and improvements are great, but I'd certainly say that IMO, this could be put on the backburner if there are other improvements waiting to be implimented. It's lean, it's mean, and that's fine with me; let's keep in mind that this flood was a rare occurance, it's no reason to jump to conclusions and make changes to a system that obviously works well.
N-Bomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-21, 22:34   Link #15
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro

A proper "archive" page or something similar is something that's on the "to do" list
I was almost in the verge of panicking at the lack of those links on the top of the page such as "Groups", "Releases" until my mouse accidentally stumbled and pointed at Help & Info. Then I tried pointing my mouse on all the other remaining ones and the feature does look neat. Take your time, however, in the improvements as I am very much comfortable and used to the current format of the main page.

Which leaves me with one question in a suggestive manner: Why not put the disclaimer on the top of the page instead in the bottom? Any hostile scrutiny might dissolve at the sight of the red-lettered disclaimer rather than finding it out by scrolling down.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-22, 01:09   Link #16
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

It's at the bottom because we don't want people to have to scroll down too much to get to the good stuff. At the bottom is less irritating to our frequent visitors.

Old 2004-12-22, 11:09   Link #17
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Quote:

It's slightly off-topic but I don't think it's worth a new thread:

While viewing the new style of the AnimeSuki main page I noticed that you were linking to various BT clients. That's where I went and thought that connecting the main page more with the Forums would be quite efficient as it attracts more attention to the threads you link to. I.e. create a paragraph stating something like "If you have trouble playing back some episodes listed here take a look into the Media Confiuguration Guide* (link to the forum thread)." Just one of the possibilities to make people read the stickies. (Yes, even a link to the Forum rules would be possible).

Well, what do you think?

*which is quite nice but sorta difficult to understand for computer novices. You could add a simple post to the thread which says to uninstall all previous codecs, install ffdshow (or XviD) and use MPC to playback about 90% of all formats. It doesn't get any easier than that.
Old 2004-12-31, 13:56   Link #18
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

(Again sorry for the late reply...)

If you want the forum to be fast, there should be as little links to the forum as possible.
The added "guest" users simply cause more load.

Having said that, there should be a little more pointers than there are now. That's why
in AnimeSuki "v2" I was planning to add a "Help & Info" section with dedicated pages to
those topics with some generic info, and a pointer to the forum for more (up-to-date) info.

There are already a few links to the forum on the Contact page ( http://www.animesuki.com/contact.php )
but that page does not link to any specific threads.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-31, 20:25   Link #19
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Quote:
(Again sorry for the late reply...)

If you want the forum to be fast, there should be as little links to the forum as possible.
The added "guest" users simply cause more load.
Understood. (Then again, if you don't want that many guests to visit the AS Forums, ban the Google Spiders)

Quote:
Having said that, there should be a little more pointers than there are now. That's why
in AnimeSuki "v2" I was planning to add a "Help & Info" section with dedicated pages to
those topics with some generic info, and a pointer to the forum for more (up-to-date) info.
Not much to add here since that is a pretty nice idea. Just make sure to link from the main page to the "Help & Info" section so that everyone sees that there is one. Other than that:

Happy New Year, Frohes Neues Jahr, Gelukkig Nieuw Jaar or whatever language you speak^^