AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2017-08-28, 02:47   Link #1
TrueHistoria

Cool I'm looking for action fantasy novels.

Yo.

I'm looking for action-fantasy novels which are similar to the following:

*) 86: Eighty-Six
*) Acquiring Talent in a Dungeon (Deonjeon Eseo Jaeneung Eodgi)
*) Assassin's Pride
*) Crimson Rafflesia
*) Defiled Hero (Kegaretamoto Yuusha)
*) Eden: They Were Only Two, On The Planet
*) Eustia of the Tarnished Wings (Aiyoku no Eustia)
*) Forgotten Conqueror
*) Genocide Reality
*) Goblin Slayer
*) Goodbye Dragon Life, Hello Human Life (Sayonara Ryuusei Konnichiwa Jinsei)
*) Instant Death/The Other World Doesn't Stand a Chance Against the Power of Instant Death (Sokushi Cheat ga Saikyou Sugite, Isekai no Yatsura ga Marude Aite ni Naranai n desu ga)
*) King's Dark Tidings
*) M E M O R I Z E
*) Main Character Hides His Strength (Juin Gongi Himeul Sungim)
*) My Death Flags Show No Sign of Ending (Ore no Shibou Flag ga Todomaru Tokoro wo Shiranai)
*) Planetarian: The Reverie of a Little Planet (Planetarian: Chiisana Hoshi no Yume)
*) Revolution of the 8th Class Mage (8 Keulae Seuma Beobsaui Hoegwi)
*) Summoned Slaughterer (Yobidasareta Satsurikusha)
*) The Golden Word Master: The Unique Cheat of the Man Dragged in by Four Heroes (Konjiki no Moji Tsukai: Yuusha Yonin ni Makikomareta Unique Cheat)
*) The Greatest Magic Master's Retirement Plan (Saikyou Mahoushi no Inton Keikaku)
*) The Grisaia Trilogy (The Fruit of Grisaia [Grisaia no Kajitsu], The Labyrinth of Grisaia [Grisaia no Meikyuu], The Eden of Grisaia [Grisaia no Rakuen])
*) The Irregular at Magic High School (Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei)
*) The King of the Battlefield (Jeon Jangui Hwasin)
*) The World After the Fall (Myeol Mali Huui Segye)
*) Tokyo Babel: Pilgrims of the Apocalypse

Particularly, I'm looking for ones that feature a male main protagonist who is cold as ice.

I don't mean that he must have ice cold powers and skills, what I prefer is that he must never be considered as "normal" in terms of demeanor, personality and strength.

I will cite some characteristics based on my impression of the titles above:

1. He shouldn't be afraid amid any types of jeopardy.
2. He must be unattracted to and never freaks out by a presence of a chic's stark-naked body and her teasing, no matter how high level of gorgeousness she possesses.
3. He fancy of getting things done solo, all on his own, by himself.
4. He preferably never hesitates to do dirty works no matter how sad and gruesome (ex: killing and slaughter), then acts like it was nothing.
5. He's reticent who never or rarely opens his feelings to anyone.
6. Most people must describe him as being cold, indifferent, rude, silent, stoic, etc.

Basically, kind of like Hitman's Agent 47, hahaha.

Meanwhile, I don't prefer the protagonist being treated as a side character, such as every chapter or the whole contains only a little bit of his point-of-view (POV). In short, Multiple POVs aren't preferable, such as Emblem of the Branded (Rakuin no Monshou), Reincarnator (Hwan Saeng Jwa), Sorcery Jokers and Sovereign of Judgement (Sim Panui Gunju).

Additionally, I don't prefer the protagonist who only sits on his throne and barking orders for the whole time, then he just lets the pawns, subordinates and/or others do the action, thereby only depending on them, like The First Hunter (Choe Choui Heonteo).

My reason for asking such recommendations is that I just wanted a change of pace from the typical ones.

The following are the ones I've encountered so far, which don't suit my criteria:

*) A Certain Magical Index (Toaru Majitsu no Index)
*) A Classmate is a Princess Knight (Himekishi ga Classmate)
*) A Good Librarian Like a Good Sheperd (Daitoshokan no Hitsujikai)
*) A Reaper's Kiss Tastes Like Farewell (Shinigami no Kiss wa Wakare no Aji)
*) A Record of a Mortal’s Journey to Immortality (Fan Ren Xiu Xian Chuan)
*) About the Reckless Girl Who Kept Challenging a Reborn Man Like Me
*) Age of Adepts
*) Age of Heroes
*) Alderamin of the Sky (Nejimaki Seirei Senki: Tenkyou no Alderamin)
*) Anonymous Dance With Death (Ototsukai wa Shi to Odoru)
*) Arifureta: From Commonplace to World's Strongest (Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou)
*) Beyond
*) Blade Dance of Elementalers (Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance)
*) Chivalry of a Failed Knight (Rakudai Kishi no Eiyuutan)
*) Cho Dengeki Stryker
*) Chronicle Legion: The Road of Conquest
*) Chrono Clock
*) Comyu: Black Dragon in a Gentle Kingdom (Comyu: Kuroi Ryuu to Yasashï Oukoku)
*) D.C. III R: Da Capo III R X-Rated
*) Date A Live
*) Death March to the Parallel World Rhapsody (Death March kara7 Hajimaru Isekai Kyousoukyoku)
*) Death Notice
*) Demon King Daimaou (Ichiban Ushirono Daimaou)
*) Demon's Diary
*) Devils Devel Concept
*) Dimensional Sovereign
*) Divine Throne of Primordial Blood
*) Don't Fear The Reaper
*) Dracu-riot
*) Dragon Maken War
*) Dragon-Marked War God (Long Wen Zhan Shen)
*) Dungeon Defense
*) Dungeon Hunter
*) Elven Blood (Senketsu no Elf)
*) Emperor's Domination (Di Ba)
*) Emperor of Solo Play
*) Euphoria
*) Everlasting Immortal Firmament (Wang Gu Xian Qiong)
*) Everlasting Summer
*) Everyone Else is a Returnee
*) Evil Dragon Reincarnation (Jaryuu Tensei: Isekai Itteno Ore wa Ore)
*) Evolution Theory of a Hunter
*) Falling Inlove With The Villainess (Akuyaku Reijou ni Koi wo Shite)
*) Family Project: Kazoku Keikaku
*) Fate/Extra
*) Fate/Stay Night
*) Gahkthun of the Golden Lightning - What a Shinning Braves (Ourai no Gahkthun)
*) Ghost Hunt
*) God Hunter
*) God of Crime
*) Gu Daoist Master
*) Heavenly Star
*) High School DxD
*) History's Strongest Senior Brother
*) I am the Monarch
*) I Kinda Came to Another World, But Where's The Way Home?
*) I Shall Seal The Heavens (Wo Yu Feng Tian)
*) I, Who is a Loner, Using Cheats Adapts to the Dungeon
*) Immortal Executioner (Zhanxian)
*) Immortal Mortal
*) Immortal Sun Mist Emperor Saga: Novus Magus
*) Imperial God Emperor
*) Kara no Shoujo Series
*) Katawa Shoujo
*) Kill No More
*) Koisuru Natsu no Last Resort
*) Kuro no Hiera Glaphicos
*) Legend
*) Libra of the Vampire Princess (Kyuuketsuki no Libra)
*) Life Mission
*) Log Horizon
*) Lord Marksman and Vannadis (Madan no ou to Vannadis)
*) Magi's Grandson (Kenja no Mago)
*) Magic Bullet in Magic Land (Mahou no Kuni no Madan)
*) Marginal Operation
*) Martial God Asura
*) Master Hunter K
*) Memory's Dogma
*) Monarch of Evernight
*) Moon-led Journey Across The World (Tsuki ga Michibiku Isekai Douchuu)
*) Mother of Learning
*) Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation (Mushoku Tensei: Isekai Ittara Honki Dasu)
*) My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU/My Youth Romantic Comedy Is Wrong as I Expected/Oregairu (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatte Iru)
*) Mythical Conquest
*) Mythical Spirit Chronicle: Meeting You in This World (Seirei Gensouki: Konna Sekai de Deaeta Kimi ni)
*) No Game No Life
*) Nihilistic blade of the Hidden World
*) Online Game: Evil Dragon Against The Heaven
*) Otherworldly Evil Monarch
*) Ouroboros Record: Circus of Oubeniel
*) Overlord
*) Paradise of Demonic Gods
*) Paying to Win in a VRMMO (VRMMO wo Kane no Chikara de Musou suru)
*) Plundering the Dao of the Immortal Journey (Dao Tian Xian Tu)
*) Problem Children are Coming from Another World,*Aren't They? (Mondaiji-tachi ga Isekai kara Kuru Sou Desu yo?)
*) Rebirth of the Heavenly Demon
*) Renegade Immortal
*) Reverend Insanity
*) Root Double: Before Crime, After Days
*) Saga of Tanya The Evil (Youjo Senki)
*) SakuSaku: Love Blooms With The Cherry Blossoms (Koi Ga Saku Koro Sakura Doki)
*) Samayou Shinki no Duelist
*) Second Life in Another World (Nidome no Jinsei wo Isekai de)
*) Seinarukana: The Spirit of Eternity Sword 2
*) Seoul Station's Necromancer
*) Sepia Tears
*) Shura's Wrath
*) Silver Cross and Draculea (Gin no Juujika to Draculea)
*) Skeleton Knight, in Another World (Gaikotsu Kishi-sama, Tadaima Isekai e Odekakechuu)
*) Sky Wizards Academy (Kuusen Madoushi Kouhosei no Kyoukan)
*) Soshite Fumetsu no Regunare
*) Star Rank Hunter
*) Stellaren Series
*) Sword Art Online
*) The Amber Sword
*) The Beginning After The End
*) The Book-Eating Magician
*) The Charm of Soul Pets
*) The Dark King
*) The Death Mage Who Doesn't Want a Fourth Time (Yondome wa Iyana Shi Zokusei Majutsushi)
*) The Devil on G-String (G-Senjou no Maou)
*) The Different World Exile Story: Where One Book is Enough (Hon Issatsu de Kototariru Isekai Rurou Monogatari)
*) The Different World Magic is Too Behind (Isekai Mahou wa Okureteru)
*) The Dungeon Seeker
*) The Epic Tale of the Forsaken Hero (Suterareta Yuusha no Eiyuutan)
*) The Experimental Log of the Crazy Lich
*) The Hero is Walking the Second Time on the Path of Vengeance While Laughing: Maou, I’m Going to Give You Half of the World so Take Vengeance with Me (Nidome no Yuusha wa Fukushuu no Michi wo Warai Ayumu: Maou yo, Sekai no Hanbun wo Ya)
*) The King of Darkness Another World Story: Slave Magic (Isekai Maou to Shoukan Shoujo no Dorei Majutsu)
*) The Lazy King (Daraku no Ou)
*) The Lazy Sword Master
*) The Legend of Randidly Ghosthound
*) The Legend of the Legendary Heroes (Densetsu no Yuusha no Densetsu)
*) The Legendary Moonlight Sculptor
*) The New Gate
*) The Noble Girl Living in Debt (Karigurashi no Goreijou)
*) The Otherworldly Tales of a Mythological, Legendary Hero (Shinwa Densetsu no Eiyuu no Isekaitan)
*) The Previous Hero Wants to Retire (Sendai Yuusha wa Inkyo Shitai)
*) The Rising of the Shield Hero (Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari)
*) The Sacred Blacksmith (Seiken no Blacksmith)
*) The Song of Saya (Saya no Uta)
*) The Strongest Sage of Disqualified Crest: The World's Strongest Sage Reincarnated Himself to Become Even Stronger (Shikkaku Mon no Saikyou Kenja: Sekai Saikyou no Kenja ga Sarani Tsuyoku Naru Tameni Tenseishimashita)
*) The Trembling World
*) The Tutorial is Too Hard
*) The Ultimate Evolution
*) The Unexplored Summon: Blood Sign (Mitou Shoukan: Blood Sign)
*) The Void Wolf
*) Throne of Magical Arcana
*) To Deprive a Deprived Human (Ubau Mono Ubawareru Mono)
*) Ultimate Antihero
*) Until Death
*) Wanko to Kurasou
*) Warlock of the Magus World
*) Way of the Devil
*) Wheel Fortune, Sunflower Girl (Sharin no Kuni, Himawari no Shoujo)
*) World Break: Aria of Curse for a Holy Swordsman (Seiken Tsukai no World Break)
*) World Teacher: Other World Style Education and Agent

Please don't recommend me which I have already encountered, thus already included in my list.

Not preferable genres are as follows: samurai, mecha, sports, gender bender (note: it's fine if he cross-dresses for a while to blend in upon one of his mission's objective--something like that), otome (games for women), BL; yaoi; shounen ai (relationships between men).

Lastly, spoilers are fine with me. Describe the protagonist should indicates spoilers? That's okay. Spoil me.

Recommendations which meet my preferences are highly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by TrueHistoria; 2018-06-17 at 09:32.
TrueHistoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-28, 03:00   Link #2
wuhugm
Confused Shark

Genocide Reality~
wuhugm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-28, 07:19   Link #3
TrueHistoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuhugm View Post
Genocide Reality~
Thanks. I am now reading the 4th chapter of Genocide Reality. So far, so good. He was not scared in the midst of danger. I learnt that few chapters were translated as of now.

Meanwhile, I am waiting for more recommendations to come.
"I am the echoes of those who had been slain by the metal of injustice. I am the shadows of men long silenced and hidden from the light. I am he who rides the black winds of carnage. I am death himself. Prepare yourself, for when next we speak, it will be face to face. And you will know that your death has come."

Cold eyes, carrying frozen death. Hair of deep silver, more radiant than moon glow. Body of pure evil, a darkness that dims even the golden sun. Awful and terrifying, is its presence on the fields of blood upon which it visits. Like a wraith shrouded in death and decay, it stands alone and absolute.

- FC

Last edited by TrueHistoria; 2017-08-28 at 21:55.
Old 2017-08-28, 18:10   Link #4
AnimeFangirl

Dungeon Seeker. I only read the manga but it seems to fit. Though I think I heard something about the original web novel being shut down for plagiarism?
Old 2017-08-28, 21:54   Link #5
TrueHistoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFangirl View Post
Dungeon Seeker. I only read the manga but it seems to fit. Though I think I heard something about the original web novel being shut down for plagiarism?
Seems just like a normal boi for me as he'd met with the woman in the village, so I intended to discontinue reading it for now. Maybe you or someone can spoil me where he will finally become into such which suits my prefs. Thanks anyways.

Hoping for more recommendations to come.
"I am the echoes of those who had been slain by the metal of injustice. I am the shadows of men long silenced and hidden from the light. I am he who rides the black winds of carnage. I am death himself. Prepare yourself, for when next we speak, it will be face to face. And you will know that your death has come."

Cold eyes, carrying frozen death. Hair of deep silver, more radiant than moon glow. Body of pure evil, a darkness that dims even the golden sun. Awful and terrifying, is its presence on the fields of blood upon which it visits. Like a wraith shrouded in death and decay, it stands alone and absolute.

- FC
Old 2017-08-30, 15:59   Link #6
AnimeFangirl

Haven't read the light novels, so I can't say. In the manga the events in the village had an unexpected resolution which I rather enjoyed.
Light novels tend to delve deeper into the main character's thought processes than manga does so it's possible that he's really a wimp inside and it just doesn't show in the limited space of the manga.
Old 2017-08-31, 07:34   Link #7
TrueHistoria

Quote:
Haven't read the light novels, so I can't say. In the manga the events in the village had an unexpected resolution which I rather enjoyed.
Light novels tend to delve deeper into the main character's thought processes than manga does so it's possible that he's really a wimp inside and it just doesn't show in the limited space of the manga.
Is that so...

- FC
Old 2017-09-07, 07:29   Link #8
TrueHistoria

Bump and up and bump and up.

- FC
Old 2017-09-25, 08:35   Link #9
TrueHistoria

Bumbibumpbump and upopopopop.

- FC
Old 2017-09-29, 15:49   Link #10
AnimeFangirl

I read a bit further into Dungeon Seeker. He's just a big sissy. Scratch that recommendation. -_-
Old 2017-10-07, 07:30   Link #11
Jaden

I've gone through a lot of VNs, so I'll recommend some.

The most fitting one would be Rose Guns Days. Only exception is that you don't get the protagonist's POV consistently, as it's almost entirely written in third person, and the female protagonist kinda takes over in later chapters.

You might find the Cross Channel VN interesting.
The protag is a hard-to-read maniac...but I think he possesses your favored qualities also.
The story is definitely driven by him, rather than the girls or any overarching plot line.
It's very meta, which you may appreciate since you're so well read in the genre.
However, it is quite light in action even for being a visual novel, and starts painfully slow. Trying to decipher the mad writing and getting into the heads of the abnormal characters, then finally piecing it all together in the end was where I got my enjoyment in this VN.

Besides that one...if you ever decide to tackle the juggernaut that is Muv-Luv - which I recommend, just because I can't think of other visual novels higher in overall quality - Yuuya in the sequel/spin-off Total Eclipse would be a protagonist to your taste. Protag of the initial series, not so much. All of them also exist in serial novel format.

Last edited by Jaden; 2017-10-07 at 15:12.
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-07, 17:29   Link #12
TrueHistoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
I've gone through a lot of VNs, so I'll recommend some.

The most fitting one would be Rose Guns Days. Only exception is that you don't get the protagonist's POV consistently, as it's almost entirely written in third person, and the female protagonist kinda takes over in later chapters.

You might find the Cross Channel VN interesting.
The protag is a hard-to-read maniac...but I think he possesses your favored qualities also.
The story is definitely driven by him, rather than the girls or any overarching plot line.
It's very meta, which you may appreciate since you're so well read in the genre.
However, it is quite light in action even for being a visual novel, and starts painfully slow. Trying to decipher the mad writing and getting into the heads of the abnormal characters, then finally piecing it all together in the end was where I got my enjoyment in this VN.

Besides that one...if you ever decide to tackle the juggernaut that is Muv-Luv - which I recommend, just because I can't think of other visual novels higher in overall quality - Yuuya in the sequel/spin-off Total Eclipse would be a protagonist to your taste. Protag of the initial series, not so much. All of them also exist in serial novel format.
In Rose Guns Days, "He'd see a woman and put the moves on her right there without giving a thought to anyone." - VNDB and in Cross Channel, the protagonist was described as a pervert.

Thanks anyways.

- FC
Old 2017-10-08, 05:10   Link #13
Jaden

Yea, most characters I like have such flaws to them. But let's see..

Protagonist of Tears to Tiara would be just about 100% and the one of Utawarerumono about 80% fitting (he's rather gentlemanly). These are strictly in the high fantasy adventure genre as well.

The caveat is, these are VNs with a major tactics RPG element to them, each having only 6-8 hours of reading. Most of your time would be spent playing.

I enjoyed both nevertheless, so gonna go ahead and recommend them.
Old 2017-10-08, 11:38   Link #14
AnimeFangirl

I can't think of any VNs/LNs, so how about some anime? I'm watching Aldnoah Zero right now and the hero Inaho fits what you're looking for too. So much so that people have criticized him for being an unfeeling hax robot. It's action but very low fantasy.

If you're willing to branch out into non-fantasy non-action anime, Akagi has what you're looking for. Especially
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueHistoria View Post
He should be blunt, cold, curt, distant, quiet, rude and silent, unafraid in the middle of any type of jeopardy and dire or shocking situations, nor freaks out nor allured by a presence of a chic's stark-naked body and her teasing.

In addition, he can preferably makes things done all by himself, and not hesitant to do dirty works (ex: killing, et cetera).
There are no girls in the series for anyone to get flustered about in the first place.

Last edited by AnimeFangirl; 2017-10-08 at 11:49.
AnimeFangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-08, 15:53   Link #15
TrueHistoria

Quote:
I can't think of any VNs/LNs, so how about some anime? I'm watching Aldnoah Zero right now and the hero Inaho fits what you're looking for too. So much so that people have criticized him for being an unfeeling hax robot. It's action but very low fantasy.

If you're willing to branch out into non-fantasy non-action anime, Akagi has what you're looking for. Especially

There are no girls in the series for anyone to get flustered about in the first place.
I've already encountered Aldnoah Zero anime. Yes, Inaho Kaizuka fits my preferences but I didn't like the show. As for Akagi, based on its description, it seems pretty bland for my taste.

Thanks anyways.

- FC
Old 2017-10-08, 15:56   Link #16
TrueHistoria

For those who would like to recommend anime series and manga instead of novels, here is my list: (see: https://myanimelist.net/profile/TrueHistoria).

- FC
Old 2017-10-08, 16:54   Link #17
AnimeFangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueHistoria View Post
As for Akagi, based on its description, it seems pretty bland for my taste.
You should watch an episode or two anyway. There are very few characters who match your requirements as well as Akagi does. The guy is totally unflappable. And most of the show focuses on him so you don't have to waste time watching the adventures of weak side characters.
Old 2017-10-09, 03:17   Link #18
TrueHistoria

Quote:
You should watch an episode or two anyway. There are very few characters who match your requirements as well as Akagi does. The guy is totally unflappable. And most of the show focuses on him so you don't have to waste time watching the adventures of weak side characters.
Hmm, sure. I'll keep that in mind.

- FC
Old 2017-10-09, 03:24   Link #19
AnimeFangirl

I don't see any One Punch Man on your anime lists. Saitama is not completely stoic but he's very nonchalant in the face of danger because very little can threaten him. He's not flustered by girls either, or by anything except the prospect of missing a sale at the grocery store.
Old 2017-10-09, 08:15   Link #20
TrueHistoria

Quote:
I don't see any One Punch Man on your anime lists. Saitama is not completely stoic but he's very nonchalant in the face of danger because very little can threaten him. He's not flustered by girls either, or by anything except the prospect of missing a sale at the grocery store.
It looks like a kids show for my taste. I've seen it several times over the internet for a while due to its popularity, but I didn't feel the urge to completely watch it. I've watch its few fighting scenes and maybe if I was a bit younger, I would've like it.

Anyways, thanks.

- FC

Tags
action, adventure, fantasy, male protagonist, stoic