AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2008-04-29, 08:06   Link #601
TrueKnight

I'm surprised....Shinji is actually a bit gar in this one, not as worse and whiny in the originals. The thing is Shinji was that he's the victim of circumstances. He knows himself that he's a retard and a wuss when it comes on saving humanity but he's the only one that was meant for unit 01. He should've take some military training or something and be more like Setsuna from 00, but I'm pretty even with all that he would stay a wuss.

Man I guess my Shinji-hate is still inside me all these years.... I though I'd softened up...at least a little..
TrueKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-29, 08:30   Link #602
ichobi

Well, he's 14 years old and was forced to save the earth. I guess not many people can remain composed, especially not any 14 years old that I can think off. This is rather realistic. At least I prefer this Shinji to uber shonen with uber mech whoop anybody arse that fall on his sight.

This is human psychology as real as it can get.
ichobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-29, 10:18   Link #603
d-one

why eva's being praised for the pyschologycal one? 'cause shinji reflected a normal human

I bet I pissed my pants too if I suddenly told to drive some robot to fight something monstrous like angel (or if tomorrow I was told to go to the frontline to war)
d-one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-29, 10:45   Link #604
ZeusIrae
Loyal Haruhist.

Total success, I was especially pleased by the emphasis on the extreme suffering that Shinji endures when he pilots eva-01.I don't remember him screaming like this in the original serie.It puts things in the context.Yes, he's whiny but he barely escaped twice an excruciating death so it's understandable.

It would be weird if he said, "cool, I nearly boiled in a huge test tube and every time the robot loose an arm, I feel the pain.Time to go!!I love being used by my father like this".

Last edited by ZeusIrae; 2008-04-29 at 17:01.
ZeusIrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-29, 11:19   Link #605
ichobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-one View Post
why eva's being praised for the pyschologycal one? 'cause shinji reflected a normal human

I bet I pissed my pants too if I suddenly told to drive some robot to fight something monstrous like angel (or if tomorrow I was told to go to the frontline to war)
sorry wasnt being clear it should be "as real as human can get"
Old 2008-04-29, 11:21   Link #606
TrueKnight

Like I said, a victim of circumstances. Shinji in this one is so much better in and tolerable compared to the original, where he was a complete emo depressed unsociable kid. At first he may be surprised because zomg he had to fight a gigantic monster, in a robot he hardly knows, by the request of his dad who abandoned him. But even after he managed to go through all that, received adequate training, he is still a depressed emo kid. I'm not asking him to be like Simon from TTGL but jeez, have some sense of duty and responsibility, be a man and live with it. I guess being a kid and a plot device somehow saved him from all that. Maybe that's why in my junior high I hate kids like Shinji...
TrueKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-29, 11:32   Link #607
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
Evangelion is truly a license to print money. The Eva 1.01 LE DVD is the #1 selling DVD in Japan for the entire week, not just for anime, beating out all Hollywood movies at the moment too. It's supposed to have pretty much sold out the entire limited 300k print run. The random film strips from the LE are going for up to 300 bucks on Yahoo Japan Auctions.

And this is just the LE. The cheaper regular edition will go on sale later in May. Amazing.
just order the limited Ed form play-asia. Good thing i am getting pay on the 1st >_<

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude View Post
I just noticed something... Seven years from now, it would be 2015. That's the year that the events in Evangelion took place, isn't it?
so we have 7 years to save up for that super ultra platium limited ed Eva set that will be rls on 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
I still stand by with my "if you were in his poisiton, then you'd be acting the same way" line.
agree
Old 2008-04-29, 11:50   Link #608
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

So I'm wondering.... why the heck isn't this in widescreen format? You'd think they'd do at least that for a rebuild..
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-29, 12:36   Link #609
ichobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
So I'm wondering.... why the heck isn't this in widescreen format? You'd think they'd do at least that for a rebuild..
It is very much a widescreen format. Which one did you download?

The dvd rip that is available is 1280x720p. HD widescreen alright.
Old 2008-04-29, 13:36   Link #610
RyougaElliot
Dancing Madly

A lot of the DVD rips that I've seen so far seem squeezed. On my macbook's widescreen monitor for instance, the NF version of the film, the mkv file, it doesn't fit the whole screen and there is black space on both sides of the screen.

Probably just shoddy encoding.
RyougaElliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-29, 14:02   Link #611
Arm
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyougaElliot View Post
A lot of the DVD rips that I've seen so far seem squeezed. On my macbook's widescreen monitor for instance, the NF version of the film, the mkv file, it doesn't fit the whole screen and there is black space on both sides of the screen.

Probably just shoddy encoding.
My release(NF) used the IZ raw. If anyone wants HD, download the "Miscellaneous/Anonymous" file or download the .ass(found on TT) and use it with whatever raw you want.
Arm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-29, 14:14   Link #612
rainrix

Shinji is a depressed teenager with no self-esteem, he is the only one who can drive Eva 01 because he is the only person who can fix his own problems so it's a little bit normal that he is afraid of getting on the Eva, it's a metaphor.
rainrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-29, 15:50   Link #613
ichobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrix View Post
Shinji is a depressed teenager with no self-esteem, he is the only one who can drive Eva 01 because he is the only person who can fix his own problems so it's a little bit normal that he is afraid of getting on the Eva, it's a metaphor.
Nice catch. Also don't know if this has been mentioned but another reason EVA01 accepted no body but Shinji (and why it gone berserk to protect him) was because Yui soul was inside? Same goes for EVA02 and Asuka's mom soul was inside.
Old 2008-04-29, 16:01   Link #614
leongsh
Daijoubu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
It is in widescreen format Don't base your opinions on the raws that you get. Get your facts right. Better yet, buy the original/official DVD release and see for yourself. The 1280x720 "HD" raw is an upconversion from the DVD's 704x396.
leongsh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-29, 16:59   Link #615
ichobi

The one released by [XPbI4] is about 2.4Gb, 1280x720 higher overall compression and much more detail than the one released by Anonymous. They used the same sub though.
Old 2008-04-29, 18:09   Link #616
Dop
Mmmm....

Well, I really enjoyed that. Makes me want to go and rewatch the original series again.
Loved the new effects. Rainbows are the new lens flare, obviously.
Looking forward to the rest.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-29, 18:12   Link #617
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Man - how sweet it is to be discussing Eva online. It's no exaggeration to say this series changed my life in many ways - I had virtually no exposure to Japanese pop culture before Eva, and at the time I had no idea places like this board existed. So I missed out on this whole experience the first time around!
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-29, 18:56   Link #618
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Man - how sweet it is to be discussing Eva online. It's no exaggeration to say this series changed my life in many ways - I had virtually no exposure to Japanese pop culture before Eva, and at the time I had no idea places like this board existed. So I missed out on this whole experience the first time around!

when Eva first came out there were no broad other then bbs. so we are all catching up.

and of course now we can take the Rei vs Asuka fanboi war to a whole new level
Old 2008-04-29, 19:05   Link #619
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

And don't forget the "Is Asuka a tsundere" war...

(she is)
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-29, 19:06   Link #620
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Asuka was one of the Tsundere pioneers, before tsundere was even a otaku word.

Tags
movie, remake