AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-02-05, 21:25   Link #4121
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I think the signs were kind of there. I mean, he knew pretty early that Killua was a mass murderer and he wasn't freaked out by it.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-06, 02:14   Link #4122
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

I like to see murder and assassination as separate things, but I guess what you're trying to say still holds.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-06, 03:29   Link #4123
Goty

Send a message via ICQ to Goty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noble101 View Post
I really like this dark side of Gon. It is a change from the usual always happy and innocent MC from other shounen series.
I can't remember a shonen mc who was always happy and innocent. And Gon can be happy and innocent. In that sense he's actually not different from other shonen mains, who always show a different side of them when they're pissed off too.
What's different in Gon is that he has a very peculiar sense of judgement. He's not always interested in "justice", but he certainly is if it's for himself.

And while it's true that he wasn't freaked out by Killua being a hitman, we can't forget Gon went to help Killua after he saw him snapping and killing a person, and that's the reason Killua's been changing into a better person. That's also probably why Killua is worried about Gon now, he's been there.
Goty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-07, 18:58   Link #4124
derps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goty View Post
I can't remember a shonen mc who was always happy and innocent. And Gon can be happy and innocent. In that sense he's actually not different from other shonen mains, who always show a different side of them when they're pissed off too.
What's different in Gon is that he has a very peculiar sense of judgement. He's not always interested in "justice", but he certainly is if it's for himself.

And while it's true that he wasn't freaked out by Killua being a hitman, we can't forget Gon went to help Killua after he saw him snapping and killing a person, and that's the reason Killua's been changing into a better person. That's also probably why Killua is worried about Gon now, he's been there.
In this case it's in-character and looks like actual, progressive development from start up till now.

As far as other shonen MCs go, it's just a phase they go through triggered by an event like a Nakama being hurt or insulted or the like.
derps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-09, 10:10   Link #4125
Goty

Quote:
Originally Posted by derps View Post
As far as other shonen MCs go, it's just a phase they go through triggered by an event like a Nakama being hurt or insulted or the like.
Likewise, Gon's current behavior was triggered by what happened/is happening to Kite. I don't think there was any actual build up to his condition before those events. He was always unbreakable, only two things that got to him were Hisoka's beatdown (unrelated) and now this.
Old 2014-02-09, 20:30   Link #4126
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

^

You must not remember the Heaven's Arena arc when Gon got really angry after Zushi's safety was threatened.

He also broke Illumi's hand when he found out what happened to Killua after he passed out in the hunter exam.

He also grew extremely angry at the spiders when he found out that they cared for their own but not the lives of innocent people they murdered.

Gon has always had this scary side, a pure sense of justice that is unique to him. It's come out multiple times in the series.

Plus the kid has always had a screw loose, the fight with the bomber was just pure insanity on his part.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-10, 09:03   Link #4127
Goty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
You must not remember the Heaven's Arena arc when Gon got really angry after Zushi's safety was threatened.

He also broke Illumi's hand when he found out what happened to Killua after he passed out in the hunter exam.

He also grew extremely angry at the spiders when he found out that they cared for their own but not the lives of innocent people they murdered.
I said the things that 'got to him" in the long run. Those were typical mc reactions to things that pissed him off.

It's different from Hisoka's payback - which he didn't get over until he punched him - or his current behavior. Things that need to be solved for him to get over it, like avenging Kite.
Before the whole Kite incident, Gon was perfectly fine while they were travelling together. Even the Bomber fight was typical shonen mc craving for a fight, even if it's seemingly unwinnable.
Old 2014-02-11, 14:38   Link #4128
MCAL

I only have one word for that and that word is FANTASTIC!!!
MCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-11, 16:00   Link #4129
ookamigirl

Spoiler for plot:

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-11, 16:18   Link #4130
SHINOBI-03

Well, better not make you wait any longer...

-EPISODE 115-

Spoiler for part 1:

---
Spoiler for part 2:

=============================================

-EPISODE 116-

Spoiler for part 1:

--------
Spoiler for part 2:
SHINOBI-03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-11, 16:38   Link #4131
MCAL

Just in case people feel that Gon was OOC here (And honestly they shouldn't), I'd like to share my thoughts. We already have enough evidence that Gon is one step next to insane, but to people thinking Gon telling Killua this didn't involve him was silly, well...

"Gon sees Kaito as someone very close to Ging who is someone Gon admires (Even if Ging is kind of an ass). This is why he is so pissed at Pitou for taking someone like that away from him. To me it makes perfect sense as is and why he's pissed off at Killua cause Killua isn't able to feel something like that even though he spent a lot of time with Kaito too."

Last edited by MCAL; 2014-02-11 at 16:54.
MCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-11, 17:07   Link #4132
kakakka

Skipped the 5 minute intro, but loved every detail of the rest of the episode.
kakakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-11, 17:14   Link #4133
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

That...

...was absolutely amazing...
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-11, 17:20   Link #4134
DragonKei

I also think people underestimate how important Kite was to Gon.
Gon never had a father growing up, only Mito and one day Kite comes along and teaches him about his real father and gives him advice on how to find him. There is this scene in the Manga where he scolds a young Gon for "not being taught of dangers by his father" and saves his life in the woods.

Later when he doesn't get to see Ging, Kite takes Gon and Killua and teaches them the first steps "outside" in the real world, mentors them on how to grow, teaches them real battles and how to get by on your own.
Kite was basically the closest thing to a father Gon ever had.

Then he is killed because he underestimated the enemy and tried to protect Gon.

Also Gon always goes to the extreme, he basically never compromises on anything. Remember when he tried to fight pitou on his own and Killua had to stop him? Or when he was being tortured by Hanzo in the exam and never gave up? To gon there is basically only good and evil. Either someone is good or evil, seemingly depending on Gons feelings for them. The scissor murderer in GI was "good" because he helped them train, the spiders were "evil" because they threatened his friends and killed innocents. That's why he was so annoyed with them "daring" to mourn their comerade.
Kite even said "what happens when you find an enemy who cares for his comerades?" That is basically what is happening here IMO.
Gon is facing the biggest evil he ever faced, who took his father figure from him and all of a sudden this evil cares for an innocent. Gon is having a MAJOR dissonance and breakdown here.
DragonKei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-11, 17:23   Link #4135
chaos_alfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHINOBI-03 View Post
-snip-
Thanks for always sharing your manga/anime comparison with us, it is very appreciated

Episode 116 was tense, I have never experience such a tense episode.

I hope Komugi isn't going to have any major lasting damage, because she wasn't healed completely. She still needs to be able to play Gungi with the King if he survives.

Last edited by chaos_alfa; 2014-02-11 at 18:20.
chaos_alfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-11, 17:42   Link #4136
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonKei View Post
Gon never had a father growing up, only Mito and one day Kite comes along and teaches him about his real father and gives him advice on how to find him. There is this scene in the Manga where he scolds a young Gon for "not being taught of dangers by his father" and saves his life in the woods.

Later when he doesn't get to see Ging, Kite takes Gon and Killua and teaches them the first steps "outside" in the real world, mentors them on how to grow, teaches them real battles and how to get by on your own.

That. But remember that the anime didn't show the original meeting between Gon and Kaito in episode 1, so it's not the same for anime only viewers and manga readers. To the latter, Kite is literally the first character ever seen in HXH, along with Gon. This kinda drives home the point of why he's important.

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-11, 18:16   Link #4137
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

116:

Holy shit. That episode was just amazing. The sheer emotion conveyed in every shot, every piece of sound... The voice acting. The animation. That was an absolutely perfect episode. HxH once again, goes places it hasn't before.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-11, 19:26   Link #4138
HandofFate

Gon being a jerk. Especially to Killua.
Even if Kite was very important to Gon, we seen signs before that Gon just cares about his own objectives like every other hunter out there. Just so happens enough of those things were on the side of 'orderly justice' for when he's fighting.

Now Pitou has to stand there while looking into Gon's rape eyes for one hour.
Old 2014-02-11, 19:36   Link #4139
Pebamama

First time Gon looses his temper , epic
Pebamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-11, 19:44   Link #4140
kitten320

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonKei View Post

Also Gon always goes to the extreme, he basically never compromises on anything. Remember when he tried to fight pitou on his own and Killua had to stop him? Or when he was being tortured by Hanzo in the exam and never gave up? To gon there is basically only good and evil. Either someone is good or evil, seemingly depending on Gons feelings for them. The scissor murderer in GI was "good" because he helped them train, the spiders were "evil" because they threatened his friends and killed innocents. That's why he was so annoyed with them "daring" to mourn their comerade.
Kite even said "what happens when you find an enemy who cares for his comerades?" That is basically what is happening here IMO.
Gon is facing the biggest evil he ever faced, who took his father figure from him and all of a sudden this evil cares for an innocent. Gon is having a MAJOR dissonance and breakdown here.
Ironically that makes Gon no different from Phantom Spiders or any other villains in the series so far.

Phantom Troupe did not touch you until you got in their way or hurt their friends/family. Gon is exactly the same, as long as your actions go well with his believes/friends/family you are friends. The moment you get on his bad side he doesn't give a f@ck about anyone else.

What makes Gon "positive" is that his goals so far were on the "right" side. He is just one step away from becoming a villain himself. This whole situation with Pitou is a reverse of what happened between them in the past. Pitou became a victim/good guy while Gon is a villain.

While I fully understand Gon's rage, he is way too out of control and self centred. Especially for someone who is considered to be a happy/innocent child unlike Killua who is a killer and yet Killua is the one who is closer to a good side.

Episode wise, loved it to bits. The best one in a long run if not all time favourite one for HxH. Great animation, great emotions and etc.

Tags
action, shounen