AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Music

Notices

Old 2008-01-10, 10:07   Link #121
Herrium

Hmmm, good thread, shows what Rap and Hip-Hop are all about. To me, Rap and Hip-Hop are 2 totally different genre's. Rap is more of a "Hardcore/Gangsta" style, while Hip-Hop is a "Softcore/Pop" style of music. I'll just lay down some people of both genre's.

Rap -
50 Cent
Krayzie Bone
Lil Wayne
Wu-Tang Clan
(For starters)

Hip-Hop -
Kanye West
T-Pain
Jim Jones

There's about 3 other people I see as both. Diddy (P Diddy, Sean Combs, whatever), Dr. Dre, and T.I.
Herrium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-10, 11:14   Link #122
.S2K
S2K is here.
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to .S2K
Jim Jones isn't hip-pop...If you've heard Hustler's P.O.M.E. (Product Of My Enviorment) it's more rap than hip-pop...
.S2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-10, 12:19   Link #123
Herrium

Meh, well, I couldn't think of any more hip-hop artists, so, yeah.
Herrium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-10, 12:26   Link #124
Westlo
Lets be reality

I had to lol @ Krayzie Bone being labeled rap while Jim Jones was hiphop, both words are pretty much interchangeable these days anyway... anyway the year ended quite well with Lupe's new album and Joe Buddens Mood Musik 3 Mixtape. Also Lil Wayne has all the potential in the world, pity it's wasted most of the time. He's a beast on a lot of mix tape tracks and I know he surprised a lot of people when he outdid Outkast on that Hollywood track. Too bad his features on the Kanye and Jay-Z albums sucked ass, hopefully his next Carter album is good, I feel he misses Mannie Fresh on the boards (Takeover tracks on Mannie's album were nice)... Mannie Fresh is so underrated because of his Cash Money affiliation.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-10, 15:52   Link #125
.S2K
S2K is here.
*Graphic Designer

Joe Budden...gets no respect from me XD Lil' Wayne's lyrical flow is vicious...Tha Carter III has no choice but to be good cause Tha Carter II was monster. Jay-Z's 90's days were great too...Reasonable Doubt can't be beat....but back to Wayne...Honestly, he makes more sense when he's high (seeing as how most to all of his songs are done while he is) haha...Georgia Bush's hidden track on Dedication II was vicious too. Also on that topic, Cassidy is a lyrical beast too, he could slaughter Wayne...He put Freeway in the dust..(not that he was that nice anyways but still)

Oh yeah. If any of you have ever heard a complete Dipset album; Have you ever noticed that as long as they say the Byrdgang call (actually a sector of a gang) at the end of the verse, people think it's good. Sad but true...JR Writer and Hell Rell are nice though...Cam'Ron is just funny...His diss tracks are priceless.
Old 2008-01-10, 16:38   Link #126
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

Hip Hop thread woot never knew there was one
I got Lupe Fiasco's The Cool and its awesome especially the lycrics but he is kinda like Talib Kweli
but ny fav rapper of all time is Snoop Dogg best rapper IMO and Sexual Eruption was a beast
Old 2008-01-12, 16:14   Link #127
Sabaku Kyu
The Ironman

Quote:
Originally Posted by .S2K View Post
Oh yeah. If any of you have ever heard a complete Dipset album; Have you ever noticed that as long as they say the Byrdgang call (actually a sector of a gang) at the end of the verse, people think it's good. Sad but true...JR Writer and Hell Rell are nice though...Cam'Ron is just funny...His diss tracks are priceless.
Julez Santana from Dipset is also pretty good. Cam is probably the most mainstream, though with the most hit songs, I always liked "What means the world to you" and "Horse and Carriage"

Seen a couple of posts about Lupe Fiasco. He is an excellent artist. I remember hearing him Kanye's Late Registration album, then I saw him in concert a couple of times. The first time I saw him live he was the opening act for the Roots (a great hip-hop band). He performed "Kick, Push" and "He Say, She say" from Food and Liquor and sounded great. I ended up buying his new albums, now I'm hooked.

BTW, Does anyone else think that Soulja Boy's songs are just weak? There's almost no rhyming at all. I don't really understand how he got so popular.

Sabaku Kyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-12, 16:19   Link #128
Westlo
Lets be reality

The first Dipset album and the mixtapes before it had some great beats from the Heatmakers, too bad they run that style into the ground as well as falling in love with rhyming the same word with a different meaning. Down & Out was a tight track off Cam'Rons last album, mainly thanks to the beat from Kanye.

I really want a proper version of What's Really Good ft DMX, the mixtape version had that beat from Eddie Murhpy's Coming To America when his dad is driving around at the end of the movie which was just an awesome sample, pity it couldn't be cleared.
Old 2008-01-12, 17:34   Link #129
Tommy
Mr. Prince

I don't think Lupe's new album The Cool is as good as Food and Liquor, I do like it slightly more then Da Exam though. Ghostface's The Big Doe Rehab was kinda meh as well.
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-14, 21:54   Link #130
.S2K
S2K is here.
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabaku Kyu View Post
Julez Santana from Dipset is also pretty good. Cam is probably the most mainstream, though with the most hit songs, I always liked "What means the world to you" and "Horse and Carriage"

Seen a couple of posts about Lupe Fiasco. He is an excellent artist. I remember hearing him Kanye's Late Registration album, then I saw him in concert a couple of times. The first time I saw him live he was the opening act for the Roots (a great hip-hop band). He performed "Kick, Push" and "He Say, She say" from Food and Liquor and sounded great. I ended up buying his new albums, now I'm hooked.

BTW, Does anyone else think that Soulja Boy's songs are just weak? There's almost no rhyming at all. I don't really understand how he got so popular.
Yeah I agree with you, Juelz gets play in mi casa...You should listen to the duo mixtape with Lil' Wayne "Blow: I Can't Feel My Face" or his "Back Like Cooked Crack" mixtapes...good stuff..

I have all 3 Kanye albums...strait crack.

And Soulja Boy? Beat and hook, thats all it is. Crank That Soulja Boy's song is beat and one catchy hook, and it's addictive to some.

Like me, if the song has a good beat i'll let it rock for a while till the rhymes start to make no sense and piss me off...And the ?uestlove? F-in drumset beat monstah.

@Westlo: If you mean Diplomatic Immunity Vol.1, then yeah, that was pretty good, but I remember when Purple Haze was suppost to come out...that thing got pushed back so many times, and the songs kept getting released, it just lost all of the potency when it came out...i'm not really a Dipset fan though, Jim Jones couldn't rap for a dime, Hell Rell (Though as nice as he is) is probably never gonna get his album put out, Only ones really good there are Juelz and Cam...just cause those two actually make money. Jimmy's sales went so damn far down the tubes....Freakin' Sesame Street CDs coulda went platinum faster than Hustler's P.O.M.E...all the beats are so repetitive...ahh I could rant on about it but I won't...
Old 2008-01-23, 06:12   Link #131
stpehen
kisses for all

Soulja Boy is just Kriss Kross for a new generation, that's your answer.

I don't listen to much rap most of the time, only when I want to shuffle things up, but I'm kinda itching for something new and huge to drop... Last I heard was the new Ghostface and Wu Tang cds and they were only okay. Maybe I should check out the new Lupe Fiasco, I liked Food & Liquor all right but it seemed a little too Kanye-ish if you know what I mean. All that fancy symphonic production was like giving me cavities.
stpehen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-24, 05:10   Link #132
Gotank
Evil Chewy Thing

Unfortunately, I don't like rap and hiphop much, and here are my reasons:

1. When I listen to music, I look for an appealing/beautiful melody, harmony, or something to that degree, most rap songs don't offer this, since they consist mostly of speech.

2. I just don't like lyrics much in general from any genre of music, since more often than not, the lead singer is too overbearing, and it's difficult to hear anything in the background, unlike a good symphony.

3. Alot of the things that rap songs promote are questionable (killing cops, rape, drugs, etc.), and even more use profanity.
Gotank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-24, 18:54   Link #133
jigenbakuda
Kazumi sure is cute...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotank View Post
Unfortunately, I don't like rap and hiphop much, and here are my reasons:

1. When I listen to music, I look for an appealing/beautiful melody, harmony, or something to that degree, most rap songs don't offer this, since they consist mostly of speech.

2. I just don't like lyrics much in general from any genre of music, since more often than not, the lead singer is too overbearing, and it's difficult to hear anything in the background, unlike a good symphony.

3. Alot of the things that rap songs promote are questionable (killing cops, rape, drugs, etc.), and even more use profanity.
Oh buddy I feel sorry for you... I think you have not heard enough rap. I agree with you on all your points, I guess but I will try to add a little understanding for those who read this and possibably agree with you.

1. Appealing and beatuiful melodies are quite personal words, as I may think ymo`s 1000 knives is a beautiful with a stupendous melody and a catchy beat. You might think its utter garbage. Uhm... I would say most rap songs I used to listen to (don`t listen to rap anymore) were melodic and had interesting harmonies. Now because most rap beat are short and repetitive (but still in a aba form, while some even have more complex forms, but using aba as it is most common), I think that solme people forget to listen to the harmonies and such. Now I was never one for popular music, so that may have been the reason I heard much more melodic rap songs. If you want to hear melody and harmony, try anything by pharrell, timbo, dr.dre, snoop, devin the dude, nas, beats by the pound, or bone-thugs and harmony (strongly suggest east 1999, so classic). I think the main problem is people pay too much atrtention to the words... there have been some really good rap songs (musically).

2. Can`t say anything here, words and puns are the meat of rap. But are you saying that you don`t listen to any music with lyrics? Like you don`t listen to rock, enka, choral, country, house, nothing, just instrumental music? Do you listen to funk? Or are you saying that you don`t like rap because it has words?

3.Ah profanity, the words of the gods, lol. Well since I`m from the hip-hop culture, I do not mind profanity. I use it very frequently. They are verbal exclaimation (spelling?)marks. Yea if you don`t like cussing rap is not for you, lol. The questionable material they promote... Uhm I have never heard about a rap song talking about rape... never closest thing was telling a girl she had to have sex with everyone, if she wish to have sex with the superstar. But thats not rape, she had a choice... low self esteem does it every time. I have not heard a song about killing cops since like the early 90`s, but maybe its more frequent than I think. Drugs is a whole other thread OTZ but why is it so bad? So many americans use drugs, so shouldn`t those people be entitled to hear music about one of their past times? Now is your problem with lyrics about selling drugs or consuming drugs?

If one sets a trap, isn't it the victim's fault for falling in?
jigenbakuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-24, 19:04   Link #134
ac3y

I'm not really too into hip-hop.
However, there are a few albums I've enjoyed (admittedly those with more pop leanings. I also like live instrumentation on hip-hop songs).

Lupe Fiasco's Food and Liquor and The Cool.
Gym Class Heroes' Cruel as School Children
And a couple songs by The Roots.
ac3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-25, 12:53   Link #135
Jyukai.
~In a Music Box~

Send a message via MSN to Jyukai.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrium View Post
Hmmm, good thread, shows what Rap and Hip-Hop are all about. To me, Rap and Hip-Hop are 2 totally different genre's. Rap is more of a "Hardcore/Gangsta" style, while Hip-Hop is a "Softcore/Pop" style of music.

Er...

Hiphop is the culture, the style isn't it?
Rap refers to the music of that culture since it means Rhythmic African Poetry....

Not saying you're wrong and I'm right or anything but.. I think your assumption might be a little off
Jyukai. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-26, 15:21   Link #136
Seija

Personally a fan of some of Kanye's works as well as Common.

I'm not sure if this is limited to just American groups but... so far, at least what I've heard, Epik High's Tablo has one song out there called "Lesson One" which I find to be really addicting. Whether or not you agree with what his lyrics are about, is up to you. Oh, keep in mind that Epik High IS a Korean hip-hop group and so, they mostly rap in Korean. However, "Lesson One" IS in English with two versions out; the regular version and the remix version.
Seija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-24, 10:20   Link #137
T3rmina
...muso

for people into intelligent rap/hip-hop i was surprised not to see a mention of DJ format.

if you want something intelligent to listen to, that is seriously for you.
just lyrics from one song :

DJ Format - Ill Culinary Behaviour Lyrics

[ VERSE 1: Abdominal ]
Well Hello And Welcome
If You Could Wipe Your Feet On The Doormat
Please, Come In - Oh Format...
We Got Company, Where's My Manners, Let Me Take Your Coats
I Hope You're Hungry For Some Flavorful Quotes
Which I Whipped Up Myself, I'm Really Hopin That You Like It
I Call It The Abdominal Special, I Eat A Hype Dish
Format? I Think He's Still In The Kitchen
Slavin Over Platters, You Know, Cooking Rhythms
Come Again? Oh, He Said That The Beats Are Finished
I Guess All That's Left To Do Is Just Remix It
You Say You Wanna Help, Okay, How About You Set The Table
And What's This, A Beautiful Patch Cable, For Me?
Really, You Shouldn't Have
Please Excuse Me, I'ma Just Go And Grab
A Spare Apron To Keep Your Gear Fresh
Format, Where's The Food, It's Rude, We Have Guests

[ CHORUS: Abdominal ]
Dinner's Served, So Yo, Come And Get It
Abdominal And Format Cookin Up The Splendid
Concoctions, Explosions Of Flavor
Check The Ill Culinary Behaviour
You Need Seconds? Yo, Come And Get It
Abdominal And Format Whippin Up The Splendid
Delicacies, Explosions Of Flavor
Check The Ill Culinary Behaviour

[ VERSE 2: Abdominal ]
Okay, You're Right Here, And If You Could Sit There
Format Needs The Chair Closest To The Kitchen
In Case He Needs To Fix The Snare
Which I'm Sure Will Be Crispy Enough
Ah-Ah-Ah, We're All Hungry, But Before We Tuck
In And Stuff Our Faces, We Really Must Say Graces
My Turn, So Here Goes, Lord, Thank You For Bangin Beats We Lace
And Of Course The Microphones That We Rap Into
Amen, That's Through, So Let's Eat, Pass The Loops, Bro
Soup? No, I Said Loops, So
Delicious With The Fishes, Nutritious
Servin Roasted Rapper, That's The First Dish On My Wish List
Just Gobble It Up, Then Proceed To Lick The Plate Clean
Taste The Cuisine Whipped Up By The Great Team
Of Culinary Experts, Ab And A Digit
Between 3 And 5 Followed By A Non-Shiny Finish
For-Mat For The Punchline-Inept
Keep Eating Cause There's Tons Of Food Left
Really, You Just Have To Taste Some Home-Cooked

[ CHORUS ]

[ VERSE 3: Abdominal ]
I Got The Feeling That Everybody Is Ready For Dessert To Be Served
But Before I Bring It Out I Got Somethin To Say First
Abdominal Junior, You Will Get Nothing, Young Man
Until You Finish Those Breaks On Your Plate
Cause All Across The Land There Be Starvin MC's
Who'd Be Happy To Rock To Beats Like These
You Should Be A Little Bit More Considerate
And Think Of This Before Pushing Your Dish Away Without Finishing It
And While I'm At It, Get Your Elbows Off The Damn Console
Really, Where's Your Manners?
I'm Ashamed To Have To Scold You Right In Front Of Our Guests
But You Leave Me No Choice
I'm Truly Sorry That I Had To Raise My Voice
But My Son's Behaviour Simply Inexcusable
And If I Don't See Some Improvement Soon, My Fuse'll Blow
Is That Clear, Mister? Good, I'm Glad We Understand One Another
Now Go Help Your Brother Little Format
Clear The Table, Put The Leftovers In Some Tupperware
So Tomorrow We'll Have Supper Prepared
Oh What's That, You Say You Must Be Leaving?
Such A Pity, What A Lovely Evening
Well, Thanks For Coming, We Must Do It Again Sometime
I Hope You Ate Enough - Of Our Beats And Rhymes

myself i like :
andre 3000/outkast
damian jr gong marley
kanye
dj shadow,
eminem,
massive attack (if you can put them here!),
nwa,
de la soul,
run dmc,
dizzee rascal,
handsome boy modelling school,
dan the automater,

but seriously, if you havent heard it, dj format- music for the mature b-boy = WIN
and listen to the avalanches as well, even though they dont fit in, you can hear the influences. the new album due this year is supposedly hip hop as well.

for myself i admit that hiphop and rap arent one of my favorite types of music, but there are exceptions to the rule.
x
T3rmina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-24, 19:31   Link #138
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyukai. View Post
Hiphop is the culture, the style isn't it?
Rap refers to the music of that culture since it means Rhythmic African Poetry....
That may be so, but nowadays they're usually regarded as different genres of music.
In my opinion, hip-hop refers to the style in which the music is more upbeat and quicker, what is usually played at parties and whatnot, while rap refers to a more mellow beat, and is less so "party music".
Most of the newer stuff is more "hip-hop"ish, while a good deal of the older style is "rap".
Of course, this is all my view, and it probably differs from yours.

As for my opinion, I generally don't listen to rap unless I'm out partying, which is progressively becoming rarer and rarer. I don't hate it, nor do I like it, though there are usually some exceptions.
The occasional song is catchy and I'll listen to it for a short bit, though not very often do I pick up a random rap song.
I find that eminem is one of the few rap artists who has released several songs I enjoyed, generally because they didn't follow the newer "ho's and money" thing, and are often quite catchy as well.
qtipbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-25, 17:26   Link #139
kingsky123
Higurashi fan.

does daft punk and chromeo count as hiphop?
kingsky123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-25, 17:59   Link #140
Westlo
Lets be reality

Format's rhyme scheme must be like Rocafella artist Freeway and be all over the place because he doesn't rhyme conventionally more than half the time.