KongZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-04, 11:52   Link #1643
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Another non religious atheist here

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-04, 15:58   Link #1644
oldguy235

I am roman-catholic but I dont believe in doing most of the things you are forced to do such as going to church every sunday when my God is omnipresent. I also don't believe in some of the bible although people say it was inspired by God it was also written by man which is why I dont believe some parts but yea thats just me anyways.
oldguy235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-04, 16:11   Link #1645
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The thread would be more interesting is people would express *how* they came to their religion or lack of it rather than just listing it. Try to be civil, of course
Old 2009-03-04, 16:30   Link #1646
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW

Culturally Jewish.

In other words, I was born to Russian parents, and my great-grandmother got killed by Nazis (after killing one herself with a pickaxe! >=O), so I'll never give up my Jewish title.

Most of our holidays can be summed up in nine words:

"They tried to kill us. We won. Let's eat."

So, I keep my Jewish culture, and my die-hard support of Israel.

As for religion? Agnostic. Simply put, I couldn't listen to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkRYaMiP4K8 and this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeSSwKffj9o

and believe in God in any serious form after this. Does he exist? He CAN, and I'm not going to close my mind off to said fact, but until he proves his almighty existence, I'll go on believing in myself.
Demongod86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-04, 19:34   Link #1647
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
The thread would be more interesting is people would express *how* they came to their religion or lack of it rather than just listing it. Try to be civil, of course
I fear that might lead to debates, anyway since you asked...

I was baptized as a roman catholic christian before i could even formulate any kind of thought in my mind. Nothing strange so far, it happens to a lot of people. As a child i was thorougly educated into the christian belief system. My mother is a catechist, which means she's been educating into christianity quite a lot of children in our local community for the last 30 years. Now you might think she's one of those extremist, but it's not so, quite the opposite, actually. Even so you can get the general idea that thanx to her my knowledge about christianity is anything but shallow.
The problem is that it's part of my nature to question anything i am told. I started questioning things since i was child, i used to question even my school textbooks. Even so, since the concept of God was so well sown in my mind, it took a lot of time before i realized that there is absolutely no rational basis to claim his existence. Of course during my first 20 years i've done a lot of thinkings about all the pletora of things that just didn't make sense in the catholic religion. So it wasn't a sudden change. Before i considered myself an atheist, i was a non religious theist, and before that i was a non religious christian, and before that i was a christian, and before that i was a catholic christian. Get the picture? In my case there is not such a thing that triggered a sudden change, my atheism is the result of a long history of selfthinking, theological studies and thelogical debates (mostly with my mother).

To explain my point of view with a few words: "i don't see any valid reason to theorize the existence of any kind of god".

This means i do not strongly deny such existence, that would be a dogma, and i'm against any kind of dogmatism. However i don't consider myself agnostic because agnosticism is a neutral stance that would place this probability at 50% while it's more like 0.5% to me (statisically speaking it's unrelevant).

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-04, 19:47   Link #1648
EmP|ty
Yea!

Send a message via MSN to EmP|ty
The reason I'm athiest is because nobody who challenges my Athiesm has managed (in my opinion) to successfully answer the one question i ask all of them -

"Can you give me some definitive proof that a god, or gods exist, that cannot easily, or even with some effort, interpreted as anything else?"

If they answer that well, i will seriously reconsider my Athiesm, but until that day comes, Athiesm all the way.
EmP|ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-04, 22:01   Link #1649
endless2010

My two cents:
I'm an atheist. I don't believe in god and I think that Religion is an invention of humans. I do think that there is a purpose for religion, which is as a practical philosophical guide to every day life for people that need a reason for being ethical, "good", etc. At it's best religion gives people hope and a sense of order. With that being said, it can be double edge sword. It can be used to spread fear, war, prejudices, etc. It can be used to control the masses. I think that the end of the world prophecies fall under that. It's easy to keep people in check when the end of the world is around the corner. You don't want to get caught on the sinner side of the line when the world blows up.
endless2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-04, 22:40   Link #1650
Throne Invader
Protecting the Throne

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguy235 View Post
I am roman-catholic but I dont believe in doing most of the things you are forced to do such as going to church every sunday when my God is omnipresent. I also don't believe in some of the bible although people say it was inspired by God it was also written by man which is why I dont believe some parts but yea thats just me anyways.
A little more and you're not gonna be much of a roman catholic anymore.

I'm a protestant but to be honest, despite being raised in a very spiritual background I still see error in a lot of things concerning my religion. I feel really bad for doubting our God's plans and ways but some of it doesn't really seem fair for me or even make sense. My parents don't even act very religious. In fact, they usually do the opposite and only appear to be religious in church and when telling us to read the BIble. After that.........personality change. I guess it probably means that sometimes culture plays a more dominant role in the behavior of people and that religion doesn't dictate how most people act. It's all quite confusing isn't it?
Throne Invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-04, 22:54   Link #1651
LaceNFrills

Oh gosh, who brought this horrible thread back? This so call 'religious' thread that filled with Aithiests (not that I hate them). Seriously people, it's not called a "Are you Aitheist ?" thread, gosh, and Aithiest isn't even a religion. No need to come here and say "Oh I was supposed to be ___ but then there's no proof God exists so now I'm Aithiest".

Spoiler for whatever.:
LaceNFrills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-04, 22:57   Link #1652
KongZilla
Sugar_Prayer <333

Location: Living on a remote island somewhere in the South Pacific
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceNFrills View Post
Oh gosh, who brought this horrible thread back? This so call 'religious' thread that filled with Aithiests (not that I hate them). Seriously people, it's not called a "Are you Aitheist ?" thread, gosh, and Aithiest isn't even a religion. No need to come here and say "Oh I was supposed to be ___ but then there's no proof God exists so now I'm Aithiest".

Spoiler for whatever.:
Actually, I couldn't help but agree... ^^"
KongZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-04, 22:57   Link #1653
klowny
OH NO

Quote:

Spoiler for whatever.:
OH yeah well your wrong! lol but there's sure is a lot of atheist's around here and i don't feel special anymore
klowny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-04, 23:01   Link #1654
LaceNFrills

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmoreDoll View Post
I'm a protestant but to be honest, despite being raised in a very spiritual background I still see error in a lot of things concerning my religion. I feel really bad for doubting our God's plans and ways but some of it doesn't really seem fair for me or even make sense. My parents don't even act very religious. In fact, they usually do the opposite and only appear to be religious in church and when telling us to read the BIble. After that.........personality change. I guess it probably means that sometimes culture plays a more dominant role in the behavior of people and that religion doesn't dictate how most people act. It's all quite confusing isn't it?
Being religious doesn't necessary means you have to do all those ritual. It just mean that you are spiritual and is deeply believe in like.. God who created you and loves you, or things such is miracle and faith. You don't have to completely believe in EVERYTHING like the afterlife and such.
LaceNFrills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-04, 23:03   Link #1655
Throne Invader
Protecting the Throne

Quote:

Spoiler for whatever.:
Omg I also think a lot of atheists will start bashing you. You do have a point though. Atheism isn't a religion and the the topic question is "whats your religion". I wonder if a lot of other such people such as myself have realized that just now. XD
Old 2009-03-04, 23:05   Link #1656
klowny
OH NO

Yeah, even when i was still catholic i never went to church on Sundays because it was like 5 blocks away
klowny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-04, 23:06   Link #1657
Nosauz

Quote:

Spoiler for whatever.:
Quote:
Omg I also think a lot of atheists will start bashing you. You do have a point though. Atheism isn't a religion and the the topic question is "whats your religion". I wonder if a lot of other such people such as myself have realized that just now. XD

Religion is a belief system, not just faith in god. Not believing in god and having faith in the rational and tangible is a system of its own. Being blinded by the perverse idea that religion is purely defined as belief in god is quite shallow. God is one aspect in many religions but religion on a more philosophical stand point is defined as a belief system that explains existent. Having a religion based with a god is great, having faith in the all mighty allows optimism, but some just can't accept that god is all controlling. I just find it sad that many people are so closed minded and shun different view points just for the sake of being different. If you believe religion is only about god, you really have failed as a believer, god is only there to help guide you into understanding the world in your mind, not just blindly following his written word, which is undoubtedly spoken from man.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-04, 23:06   Link #1658
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

heh, (its spelled Atheist). No, the mods are pretty good about locking down bashing. Explaining how one came to be describe oneself as atheist or agnostic is just as relevant as explaining how one came to believe in one's religion. They're assessments of why the world is what it is, metaphysically.

Religion also includes Hindu, Buddhism, Shinto, and other non-JudeoChristianIslamic tradition - not just JCI monotheism. By some interpretations, Buddhism is a philosophy - not a religion, are you saying Buddhists can't participate in this thread either?

Actually, several of you are the ones bashing other people for answering the OP question.

Its unfortunate the thread had no poll, because by my count there's a fairly even distribution of the Abrahamic (J-C-I) religions, agnosticism, atheism, and "other".

Last edited by Vexx; 2009-03-04 at 23:18.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-04, 23:11   Link #1659
Nosauz

re⋅li⋅gion
   /rɪˈlɪdʒən/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [ri-lij-uhn] Show IPA
–noun
1. a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.
2. a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects

Heres some food for thought
Quote:

Spoiler for whatever.:
Quote:

Religion is a belief system, not just faith in god. Not believing in god and having faith in the rational and tangible is a system of its own. Being blinded by the perverse idea that religion is purely defined as belief in god is quite shallow. God is one aspect in many religions but religion on a more philosophical stand point is defined as a belief system that explains existent. Having a religion based with a god is great, having faith in the all mighty allows optimism, but some just can't accept that god is all controlling. I just find it sad that many people are so closed minded and shun different view points just for the sake of being different. If you believe religion is only about god, you really have failed as a believer, god is only there to help guide you into understanding the world in your mind, not just blindly following his written word, which is undoubtedly spoken from man.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-04, 23:15   Link #1660
Throne Invader
Protecting the Throne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz View Post
OK!!! I stand corrected then and yes I have seen that atheism is considered a religion. Got a little misled there earlier. I missed a few points. You seem a little too "energetic" though. It wasn't meant as a flame.

Tags
not a debate, philosophy, religion