AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-08-18, 03:12   Link #3461
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroIchiNi View Post
The only thing I can think of is when Nanoha almost gotten herself killed.
That was due to Starlight Breaker overuse though, not cartridges.

The only time we've seen cartridges fail in canon was with Teana, and even then it was only a dud that went *poof* not an overload.
Old 2011-08-18, 03:47   Link #3462
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

Has it ever been specifically stated as SLB abuse instead of just pushing herself past her limit too many times (which would have included non-SLB abuse)?
Old 2011-08-18, 03:54   Link #3463
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Considering how the repeatedly show Starlight Breaker, have people be shocked that she's using Starlight Breaker and even have a booklet article stating how damaging using Starlight Breaker can be? Yes.

No, there's no specific quote saying "it's because of Starlight Breaker" but it's not hard to connect the dots. Sure, she's pushing herself in general, but it's the overuse of Starlight Breaker that was the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back.
Old 2011-08-18, 04:04   Link #3464
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

But why SLB of all things? I mean, it's powered by mana gathered from the surroundings instead of her own reserve, so it should strain her body less than her other heavy attacks.

I thought the problem was more on the Blaster System? It boosts way beyond the limits of the body, and it's usage had sometimes shown physical damage to both RH and Nanoha.

I'm not closing other possibilities to what might have almost got her killed.
Old 2011-08-18, 04:15   Link #3465
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Imagine the body as a barrel, Starlight Breaker gathers magic and fills that barrel. Once you go over the limit but keep pushing water into the barrel though though... eventually something is going to give.

One must remember that all spells are focused through the body, even if the magic powering them is coming from external sources. There are ways to overcome the limit (such as implanting a Relics or genetically altering ones body) but without them, using Starlight Breaker is dangerous.
Old 2011-08-18, 04:17   Link #3466
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
...using Starlight Breaker is dangerous.
...and so were the Blaster System, to the point that during her Post-StrikerS duel with Signum Fate explicitly warned her against using it beyond Blaster 1. So the possibility remains.
Old 2011-08-18, 04:21   Link #3467
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Except Nanoha did not have the blaster system prior to StrikerS.
Old 2011-08-18, 04:26   Link #3468
Zero Hurricane
I'm here for the reason..

Send a message via Yahoo to Zero Hurricane
Actually I'm curious, what is the difference between Melee with magic-enhanced attack? Though both are equally focused on close combat. Please give me the explanation.
Old 2011-08-18, 04:42   Link #3470
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

集束砲 – Accumulatory Cannonfire
(StS DVD3)
Spells which uses one’s own mana to accumulate released Mana in the surroundings, then reuses and re-releases it as a bombardment attack.
These accumulatory skills are unique in that they allow reuse of Mana which has already been used. Furthermore, in addition to magic released by the user, Mana released by any opponents can also be collected and reused, allowing enormous output potential. For Bombardment Mages, these attacks can be said to be nigh-impossible ultimate attacks; however, in cases dealing with Mana levels greatly exceeding the user’s limits, the burden placed on the user’s body can be prodigious.

This was what the booklet explanation of one of the terms used in the explanation the series itself showed to explain Nanoha's injuries.

Now granted, is it possible that other factors added to the incident? Yes, but considering the emphasis placed on Starlight Breaker, and the fact that Teana pulled a similar stunt which led to the explanation of the incident in the first place, it is one of the main factors
Old 2011-08-18, 07:28   Link #3471
ZeroIchiNi

Send a message via AIM to ZeroIchiNi
So the SLB is the cause of Nanoha's being over stress and nearly killing herself.

Yet she teaches SLB to Tea and they both still uses this in mock battles.

Old 2011-08-18, 07:48   Link #3472
al103
Grumpy Russian bear

Send a message via ICQ to al103
Quote:
Considering how the repeatedly show Starlight Breaker, have people be shocked that she's using Starlight Breaker and even have a booklet article stating how damaging using Starlight Breaker can be? Yes.

No, there's no specific quote saying "it's because of Starlight Breaker" but it's not hard to connect the dots. Sure, she's pushing herself in general, but it's the overuse of Starlight Breaker that was the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back.
Yet it was used as explicit example of overtraining yourself to death and why it is bad. Yes, Starlight Breakers and Cartridge System most likely did they part but it was training first and foremost.

PS. And if there was actual spell that Nanoha failed to cast that day it was most likely Flash Move...

PS. Also Nanoha/job, Honor/job and Rein/Agito.
PPS. Proud Athrun/Cagalli/Meyrin shipper.
Old 2011-08-18, 07:51   Link #3473
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

Quote:
集束砲 – Accumulatory Cannonfire

Spoiler for (StS DVD3):
*Plows through the Nanoha Sound Stage Translation Thread*

I can't seem to find that particular paragraph anywhere (the only translation remotely related to it was this). Was it translated here? Maybe it's on a different thread? I assumed it was there because that's where the SSX booklet translations were put.

Last edited by Tiresias; 2011-08-18 at 07:59. Reason: Typo
Old 2011-08-18, 09:02   Link #3474
WarpObscura
Bibliophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koveras Alvane View Post
Has that even happened in canon? o__O
That's why I'm asking, 'cause I can't recall offhand. Need it for a Vs Debate.

Yo dawg, I heard you like QB...

Thanks MAEt for the av!
Old 2011-08-18, 09:45   Link #3475
al103
Grumpy Russian bear

Send a message via ICQ to al103
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarpObscura View Post
That's why I'm asking, 'cause I can't recall offhand. Need it for a Vs Debate.
No, it didn't happened in canon, yet. (And even Teana's jam can probably be attributed to self-made cartridges)

PS. Also Nanoha/job, Honor/job and Rein/Agito.
PPS. Proud Athrun/Cagalli/Meyrin shipper.
Old 2011-08-18, 10:26   Link #3476
Koveras Alvane
Mastermind Rational
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to Koveras Alvane Send a message via MSN to Koveras Alvane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Hurricane View Post
Actually I'm curious, what is the difference between Melee with magic-enhanced attack? Though both are equally focused on close combat. Please give me the explanation.
The difference is very vaguely defined AFAIK. Basically, "magic-enhanced attack" is usually used in context of Belkan magic system, whereas "melee" is the type of spells the Mid-Childans use. I wouldn't say that the difference is just nominal, however. The only definite rule is that if the attack is carried out with an "energy blade" (魔力斬撃), it's always "melee". Also, "magic-enhanced attacks" are usually carried out with weapon-type Armed Devices, so my guess would be: "magic-enhanced attack" is any attack that would hurt like a bitch even without magic, while "melee" attack relies on magic to inflict any damage. That's my guess based on a quick analysis, however. ^^
Old 2011-08-18, 11:34   Link #3477
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
*Plows through the Nanoha Sound Stage Translation Thread*

I can't seem to find that particular paragraph anywhere (the only translation remotely related to it was this). Was it translated here? Maybe it's on a different thread? I assumed it was there because that's where the SSX booklet translations were put.
http://asnano.wordpress.com/2007/10/...let-2/#more-27

I'll leave it with that, considering our debate this stuff is obviously too murky territory to truly call facts on.

Last edited by Keroko; 2011-08-18 at 13:32.
Old 2011-08-18, 15:07   Link #3478
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroIchiNi View Post
So the SLB is the cause of Nanoha's being over stress and nearly killing herself.

Yet she teaches SLB to Tea and they both still uses this in mock battles.

When was the last time you have seen a chain smoker stop smoking when the doctor have announced he have lug cancer?
Old 2011-08-18, 17:04   Link #3479
ZeroIchiNi

Send a message via AIM to ZeroIchiNi
Quote:
Originally Posted by al103 View Post
Yet it was used as explicit example of overtraining yourself to death and why it is bad. Yes, Starlight Breakers and Cartridge System most likely did they part but it was training first and foremost.

PS. And if there was actual spell that Nanoha failed to cast that day it was most likely Flash Move...
That does make more sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
When was the last time you have seen a chain smoker stop smoking when the doctor have announced he have lug cancer?
Now I'm thinking that Nanoha's addicted to Power and also gotten Tea addicted. Wasn't thinking at the time, Nanoha does seems to prefer power over her health. No wonders Fate worries about her.
Old 2011-08-18, 17:20   Link #3480
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Jokes aside i really think Nanoha is a bit too obsessed with her power and authority. Specially since she started to escalate in the food chain inside the bureu and became a Captain.

...9 years ago, the day after never would be the same

~The ASFB~
Closed Thread