AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2017-04-27, 14:52   Link #121
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Well, it wasn't all THAT unpredictable but yeah, it didn't go according to the popular ideas. Good episode though.
Spoiler:
In any case, this show is not disappointing for sure. There's some obvious patterns and some things that are not so obvious, and all the characters are rather charming in their standard teenage awkwardness.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-27, 16:40   Link #122
Pen3

I wouldn't say it is comparable to a phone running out of battery trope. I mean, they actually put the effort into telling us that phones were prohibited for half of the episode.

The episode was actually done much better than most anime in this genre. From the fortune that Akane drew about 'ambiguity leading to calamity' to her somewhat ambiguous answer, that most of us including Kotarou as a 'yes'.
Pen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-27, 17:48   Link #123
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pen3 View Post
I wouldn't say it is comparable to a phone running out of battery trope. I mean, they actually put the effort into telling us that phones were prohibited for half of the episode.

The episode was actually done much better than most anime in this genre. From the fortune that Akane about 'ambiguity leading to calamity' to her somewhat ambiguous answer, that most of us including Kotarou as a 'yes'.
Oh, yes, they certainly relentlessly beat it into our heads that phones were not allowed, now didn't they? Frankly, the whole "phones are not allowed" bit was really just a plot device, as well as an extension of the "dead battery" trope, so that the ensuing forced drama could occur. That they would take the phones away (and not give us, the audience, a reason after focusing on it so much) is simply absurd. What's even more absurd is taking the phones away to begin with. The teachers claim that they want the students to be safe, but, surely, they would be safer, for various obvious reasons, if they carried their cell phones with them. Oh, and we had our token manga absconded with, as well (but not the junk food).

Don't get me wrong. I loved the episode. Knowing that Akane's answer was not "No" was a great relief after being on pins and needles for a week after that frickin' cliff hanger. It was also nice to get to see inside Akane's head a bit more, too. Chinatsu's keen insight was also a surprise. I do wonder, though, if Roman now knows who Kotarou was texting since he was reading the text messages.

I do hope you and "most of us including Kotarou" are right and that that ambiguous answer of Akane's really did mean "Yes." Either way, I'm guessing that it will be several episodes before she stops telling her friends that she does not want to date anyone, and, in the meantime, they will continue to badger her to go out with Hira. We might even see Chinatsu step up her game where Kotarou's concerned since Akane probably won't admit she likes him that way.
FredFriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-27, 20:12   Link #124
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

not quite the levels of anxiety kimi no na wa gave me, but this ep definitely felt the same.. haha. shame she'll probably move to tokyo and this will be an adaptation of 5cm/s...

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.

Last edited by germanturkey; 2017-04-27 at 20:25.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-27, 21:57   Link #125
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
not quite the levels of anxiety kimi no na wa gave me, but this ep definitely felt the same.. haha. shame she'll probably move to tokyo and this will be an adaptation of 5cm/s...
Yeah, this was an anxiety bomb for me. It actually put me in mind of 5 CM at one point!
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-27, 21:58   Link #126
pagan poor
Swayin' to the beat

Akane's answer is as good a yes as you'll get. Sure the whole drama was a bit forced, but there aren't many plot devices out there that haven't been abused to the point where we're sleeping expecting them to happen. We've already seen how Kotarou reacted to rumors about Hira confessing to her. They're both just reacting to how outside forces like those will affect them being together.

I guess the drama is as much an evil to accept to get to the end of the eps, where we see where they are in their relationship at that time. And they've been great.
pagan poor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-27, 22:49   Link #127
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagan poor View Post
Akane's answer is as good a yes as you'll get. Sure the whole drama was a bit forced, but there aren't many plot devices out there that haven't been abused to the point where we're sleeping expecting them to happen. We've already seen how Kotarou reacted to rumors about Hira confessing to her. They're both just reacting to how outside forces like those will affect them being together.

I guess the drama is as much an evil to accept to get to the end of the eps, where we see where they are in their relationship at that time. And they've been great.
Now that I've watched the episode a couple times, and read many, many posts on other forums, the number of people who believe that that was a definite "Yes, I will go out with you" does not seem to be as widespread as you imply and certainly is not unanimous. There is a consensus that believes it meant exactly what Akane said, and in doing so she will get to know Kotarou better before she makes the commitment of becoming his girlfriend. Of course, I doubt that there's many a member of the audience, including myself, who doesn't already see them as a an absolutely adorable couple.

Spoiler for ending text summary:
Old 2017-04-27, 23:03   Link #128
Requiem-x
The slacking one

Well, everything went surprisingly well, even after the second half scared me for a while there. So much that could have, and would have gone wrong in many other series, but this time, the power of reasoning prevailed (gotta say, I did not expect him to think to use someone else's phone). And it was adorable Seriously, its like watching kimi ni todoke with both characters being Sawako, minus the humility bordering on self-loathing. Also, good to see the gods of convenient advice also favor Akane.

Gotta say I like the realistic atmosphere the show gives; mind you, I'm not a scholar of social interactions, but this crew feels like actual people, down to the hyperactivity at night and dirty comments from the guys, and most importantly, aren't idiots (unless they're being perverted), like when Akane's friends had totally noticed she wanted to go somewhere alone.

Meanwhile, in the rest of the class, attempts at sex go badly, and a poor sensei really wants it
Requiem-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-27, 23:20   Link #129
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
I actually also like the fact that the series seems so normal, and also that a decent part of the speculation out there has been off (including my own). And that it is off not because of "clever story telling", but rather because many viewers are used to various literary formula used through the years in various mediums.

Nothing wrong with the formula, mind you ... not the point. The point is the freshness that comes from that unaffected naturalness of interaction. This sort of thing is rare to find (even IRL) and is a delight to discover ... well, at least it is for me. And for me this series gives off that "scent".

My only hope is that it will keep that millieu it has been able to cultivate thus far to the end amidst the inevitable story development and progress into new territory - and hopefully all the way through the end of the cour.
Old 2017-04-27, 23:41   Link #130
pagan poor
Swayin' to the beat

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredFriendly View Post
Now that I've watched the episode a couple times, and read many, many posts on other forums, the number of people who believe that that was a definite "Yes, I will go out with you" does not seem to be as widespread as you imply and certainly is not unanimous. There is a consensus that believes it meant exactly what Akane said, and in doing so she will get to know Kotarou better before she makes the commitment of becoming his girlfriend. Of course, I doubt that there's many a member of the audience, including myself, who doesn't already see them as a an absolutely adorable couple.
Oops, I forgot to put the "for now" after "as good as you'll get." The "try before you buy" or "will my feelings persist if I hang around you longer" was more in line with what I was thinking. I agree that they make a nice couple. I would also like to think that the series takes a natural path in how this relationship goes forward. I would also like to believe the things others do and react will be a natural reaction to everything around them. Outside of the "devices" pretty much everyone acts how I would see most people act IRL.
pagan poor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-27, 23:48   Link #131
Requiem-x
The slacking one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
I actually also like the fact that the series seems so normal, and also that a decent part of the speculation out there has been off (including my own). And that it is off not because of "clever story telling", but rather because many viewers are used to various literary formula used through the years in various mediums.

My only hope is that it will keep that millieu it has been able to cultivate thus far to the end amidst the inevitable story development and progress into new territory - and hopefully all the way through the end of the cour.
Its always nice to get caught off guard like this That said, I think being able to keep a story like this engaging without sticking to the usual tropes does requiere some cleverness, or rather, skill.

Well, I'm sure we'll get some drama later, but I doubt it will be the incredibly cheesy shoujo manga kind of drama, and that's all I ask.
Requiem-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-27, 23:57   Link #132
Verso Sciolto
Banned

Dissociate

Last edited by Verso Sciolto; 2017-06-30 at 10:43.
Verso Sciolto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-28, 07:51   Link #133
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

It seems to me that the translators might have made a slight error with this line:

"I've hardly talked to Azumi-kun since then."

As they do not speak at school, and since her last message to Katorou was clearly the "Thanks" to his "I've got you covered," then that line should seemingly have been:

"I haven't talked to Azumi-kun since then."

Which brings me to what is probably my only real criticism of the show so far: it is not adequately impressing upon the audience the passage of time since the first episode (or I am just a complete dunce in this regard).

What brought this to mind is, while watching the 3rd episode again, it finally sunk in that they were having mid-term exams, which I imagine are at least 3 months after the start of school (note that they are also now wearing their Summer uniforms). So what really is the time-line, I wonder? And have Akane and Kotarou been texting each other regularly up until this point for 2 months or so without ever speaking to each other in school?

Akane notices Kotarou on the very first day of school. Just how long was it from then until the preparations for the sports festival when they actually talk for the first time and exchange contact info? Certainly it wasn't the same day, and probably not even the same week, or perhaps even the same month. Sports festivals don't usually happen as soon as the school year starts, do they?

Time-skip to episode 3, mid-terms and the track meet. Kotarou also learns that his manuscript that he submitted in episode 1 was not a winner. That, in and of itself, would probably have been a 2 or 3 months wait. Case in point: my translator for Koi Inu entered a Japanese to English manga translation contest and the winner announcement date was three months from the submission deadline date. This, I imagine, would pretty much be the norm.

So, at the end of episode 3, on the day of the track meet, Kotarou confesses to Akane, and suddenly we jump to the start of the school trip in episode 4. Just how long has it been since the track meet? Aren't Japanese overnight school trips for graduating classes the highlight of the school year and held toward the end of the last term? So, how long has it been? Weeks? A month? More? And in all this time, neither have Akane and Kotarou texted each other nor spoken in person. And, especially, Akane has not done the decent thing to either accept or decline Kotarou's confession. Shame on her.

So, as you can tell, I'm a bit confused about the time-line so far.

On another note, I noticed something missing from this episode: Akane's Mr Potato Head. This could also be an indicator of a long passage of time where she has become more comfortable with her surroundings and classmates, and feels less stressed and more at ease without the need for her squeezie.
Old 2017-04-28, 09:37   Link #134
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

Why's the two lead so hnggg inducing...... It's so cute watching their pure romance blooming.... Definitely a keeper for me XD

Quote:

Spoiler for ending text summary:
The green text definitely the boyfriend, and the white text is definitely the girlfriend. The speech pattern clearly shows that the green text is a male, and the white text is a female. The boyfriend says that if their relationship is found out, his mom will definitely get angry, which is usually what happen on the girlfriend side(parent more overprotective of daughter), which is why she said the phrase "are you a girl(on a joking manner, not questioning his manhood manner"
Old 2017-04-28, 10:09   Link #135
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroishinigami View Post
The green text definitely the boyfriend, and the white text is definitely the girlfriend. The speech pattern clearly shows that the green text is a male, and the white text is a female. The boyfriend says that if their relationship is found out, his mom will definitely get angry, which is usually what happen on the girlfriend side(parent more overprotective of daughter), which is why she said the phrase "are you a girl(on a joking manner, not questioning his manhood manner"
Thanks! I should have paid more attention to the usual pattern...

Now that I look closely at the image, the name at the top of the screen looks like 達友さん which is not Akane's name, and is definitely not "Azumi-kun," but perhaps means girlfriend (google translate comes up with "Tomohito-san", whoever the hell that would be)?
Old 2017-04-28, 11:58   Link #136
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

It's kanojo-san(girlfriend)
Old 2017-04-28, 13:34   Link #137
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroishinigami View Post
It's kanojo-san(girlfriend)
Thanks! At least I got it half right: 彼女さん not 達友さん...

On another note, if you had a wild imagination like mine, you might think that the anime was trying to tell us that Chinatsu would be a better match for Kotarou. They can talk and laugh together as friends (makes me wonder if they've been becoming friends for the past few months off-screen while Akane and Kotarou's relationship has been stagnant) which really upset Akane so much that she ran away. The scene that Akane witnessed of the girlfriend wiping the boyfriend with her handkerchief was immediately repeated, but this time with Kotarou and Chinatsu. If Akane had seen that, I doubt things would have turned out the same. Like your typical tsundere heroine*, she was so pissed at him that she just had to bitch at him for being late, for being with Chinatsu, and for not answering her texts, all without first bothering to ask him why. Chinatsu, on the other hand, would probably have asked him why first, and then laughed it all off.

It's amusing to note that Akane doesn't seem to realize that, in one respect, she and Kotarou are very similar, and that the reason that Kotarou is able to easily talk to Chinatsu whereas he freezes up when face-to-face with her is that he has no romantic interest in Chinatsu, but just looking at Akane gives Kotarou butterflies and makes him tongue-tied. Of course, that's pretty much the same with her and other guys as opposed to Kotarou, but the green-eyed monster within her still looks at it as if he likes Chinatsu more. I hope that monster doesn't get out of control, otherwise we might have a yandere in the making...

If Kotarou doesn't shape up and learn to speak up (and stand up) for himself, such as giving Akane a full explanation as to why he was late or why he was using Chinatsu's phone, he is going to find himself perpetually trodden under the foot of an very unreasonably angry girlfriend.

* I will admit, though, as a budding tsundere, she was sooo freaking cute! Especially that unconscious foot motion.
Old 2017-04-28, 21:10   Link #138
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
It seems to me that the translators might have made a slight error with this line:

"I've hardly talked to Azumi-kun since then."

As they do not speak at school, and since her last message to Katorou was clearly the "Thanks" to his "I've got you covered," then that line should seemingly have been:

"I haven't talked to Azumi-kun since then."
Sorry, but while I don't know a ton of Japanese, I do know this much: "hotondo hanashiteinai" means "hardly spoke", not "haven't spoke". So, if it's an error then it's most certainly an error on the scriptwriter's part. So no, this would be a correct translation and they have spoken, though very little. Besides, they actually do talk to each other at school on several occasions shown. It's really brief, awkward, and seemingly outweighed by those glances and looks, but it's there. I'd say what she's saying is that they hardly talk and not about anything important, like they seem to almost always do offline.

Also, that text message is kind of interesting. Given the frequent speculation that she's going to move, I suspect this would be an attempt to show that they'll continue to date after the move. Not entirely impossible really. Am I remembering wrong or did her sister not say that she's going to a school in Tokyo? If so, that'd make it a distance small enough to travel daily and without too much time considering it's part of her morning commute. Long distance relationships are hard, but I imagine if the distance is comparable to what you'd be willing to travel every day to go to school, it'd probably be doable.

Also, as far as Chinatsu, are they really that great together? Kotarou doesn't seem to be any less awkward with her frankly. It's CHINATSU that's talking freely and casually. Kotarou just stands there and says "yeah" and "uh... yeah". I've known people that find that to be a completely fine, friendly conversation, but since one still seems uneasy in the situation, I'm not buying it.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-28, 22:15   Link #139
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

While I can appreciate how cute this series is and revel in the nostalgic feeling of it... I find it kind of pathetic that Akane is so simple-minded that she couldn't figure out that something happened to either Kotarou or his phone? Especially after we just had an episode where her own phone battery died, preventing her from responding to him. It never occurred to her that he could've been in the same scenario? Or the likelihood of a student getting lost in a place they don't live in? I get that they're young or whatever, but... C'mon.
Old 2017-04-29, 05:37   Link #140
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismet-chan View Post
While I can appreciate how cute this series is and revel in the nostalgic feeling of it... I find it kind of pathetic that Akane is so simple-minded that she couldn't figure out that something happened to either Kotarou or his phone? Especially after we just had an episode where her own phone battery died, preventing her from responding to him. It never occurred to her that he could've been in the same scenario? Or the likelihood of a student getting lost in a place they don't live in? I get that they're young or whatever, but... C'mon.
Had Akane not witnessed Kotarou and Chinatsu what she perceived as getting along like a house on fire, and then receiving the total shock of hearing his voice emanating from Chinatsu's cell phone (reinforcing her mistaken belief that Chinatsu gets along better than she, herself, does with Kotarou), her heart would probably not have been so consumed with jealousy and perhaps she would have been more forgiving and understanding. Maybe.

Nonetheless, it was interesting to see a side of Akane that I was not expecting. Who would have guessed that such a mild mannered, shy and sweet young girl could get so aggressively hostile???

Tags
anime original, romance, school life, shoujo, slice of life, studio feel