AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-05-27, 09:26   Link #181
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Hence, my little history lesson in the post above.
Old 2009-05-27, 17:54   Link #182
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
It *used* to be a hallmark of comedians to have fun with national stereotypes (Monty Python, Margaret Cho, that Iraqi comic whose name I can't remember, etc). Whole movies were made with international casts that played on the silly stereotypes ("Those Amazing Men in Their Flying Machines", "The Great Race", etc).
Kind of sad when people get outraged about such things....
Most stereotypes are hilarious (at least, I think it's funny =P )

Like how some foreigners said to me that they imagine French with their béret and baguette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
So please, in memory of Le Grand Condé, don't use that joke anymore.
I don't really understand ?_? Le Grand Condé if my memory doesn't fail me, is Louis II de Condé. And Napoleon Bonaparte is born near 100 years after his death.

edit: I looked in a book. That's him
Narona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-27, 18:42   Link #183
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

@Narona: It's probablt the old "joke" that the French army "sucked" after the days of Napoleon, culminating in the surrender during WWII.
Old 2009-05-27, 18:46   Link #184
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
@Narona: It's probablt the old "joke" that the French army "sucked" after the days of Napoleon, culminating in the collaboration during WWII.
Fixed

Anyway, I understood SaintessHeart's joke, but not why Irenicus is talking about Le Grand Condé, since the man lived "before" Napoleon, and not after ^^
Old 2009-05-27, 19:22   Link #185
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Well, Marshal Petain (bless his soul) served France well in Verdun, so I never really did get his actions during the Second War. He's 84 in 1940, power is next to useless to him by this point. So, why? The reason I can think of is that he can shoulder most of the blame when victory comes, and killing an old man so that other younger men could live is OK to him.
Old 2009-05-27, 19:51   Link #186
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
Well, Marshal Petain (bless his soul) served France well in Verdun, so I never really did get his actions during the Second War. He's 84 in 1940, power is next to useless to him by this point. So, why? The reason I can think of is that he can shoulder most of the blame when victory comes, and killing an old man so that other younger men could live is OK to him.
I will try to take the time to write my thoughts about it, and from what I know of it : but I seriously have to go to bed.

And since it's offtopic, I will do it on your profile if you don't mind.

*Xris is watching us* we should not forget it
Old 2009-05-29, 00:00   Link #187
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Well joke or no joke, cold or hot it be, it is still one, and thus is nothing serious nor something to be paranoid or pissed about.

Regarding the Church of Scientology, is it counted as a legitimate religion, or is it a pseudoreligion according to the US and international laws?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-30, 05:02   Link #188
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Well joke or no joke, cold or hot it be, it is still one, and thus is nothing serious nor something to be paranoid or pissed about.

Regarding the Church of Scientology, is it counted as a legitimate religion, or is it a pseudoreligion according to the US and international laws?
Judging by the entries in Wiki, Scientology is a pseudoreligion under the US Law due to their tax exemption status.

Spoiler for excerpt from ol wiki:

More like a domestic terrorist organization judging by their tactics of legal haressment.
Scientology's controversy
Old 2009-05-30, 05:23   Link #189
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

There's also some evidence the CoS infiltrated or brought pressure to individual IRS decisionmakers to force that conclusion. They really *are* that evil.
Old 2009-05-30, 05:25   Link #190
Thingle
Banned

Maybe they should really incorporate and ask to be recognized as a business entity than a religious one. I think the reason why they're claiming to be a church is simply to avoid paying taxes. They must make a lot of $$$ with their "religious lessons".
Thingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-30, 05:29   Link #191
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

They want to have it both ways --- as an incorporated religion getting the perks of both sorts of entities.
Old 2009-05-30, 05:31   Link #192
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Speaking of Wikipedia and Scientology...

Wikipedia blocks Church of Scientology from altering entries

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote