AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2011-12-07, 01:51   Link #1
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Watch, think, pass it on: Eye donation in Sri Lanka

I'm not a fan of chain e-mail. But this came to me today from someone trustworthy and, for once, I thought I'd pass it on.

You don't have to do anything. I do have some reservations about the video's authenticity but, for what it's worth, it's pretty meaningful, in more ways than one.

Quote:
SRI Lanka's International Eye Bank (Sri Lanka Eye Donation Society) is one of the world's biggest, human-eyes donor organisation, restoring vision to people in as many as 57 countries, including Japan, Thailand, Egypt and China.

According to the manager of the International Eye Bank, there is a huge potential for the collection of donor eyes in this country, over 10 times what could be used here, owing to a worldwide shortage of donor eyes.

The Buddhist supreme concept of "daana", or almsgiving, was the root of its success here. The donors believe that it is an act of great merit to give their eyes after death to someone living so that he or she can enjoy the gift of sight. Over 870,000 people have signed consent forms asking the Bank to take their eyes after they are dead, said the manager.

Those who wish to donate their precious eyes after the death can register with the Bank by personally visiting it at the below address or by sending a letter to request consent forms.

Join the world largest Eye Donation Society: Sri Lanka Eye Donation Society.
Sri Lanka Eye Donation Society
Address:
120/12, Vidya Mawatha, Colombo 07. Sri Lanka
Tel: 0112692051, 0112698040, 0112698041, 0112698043

Website here
Eyes (or eye-tissue) donation, how it works:
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-07, 06:03   Link #2
Kyuu
=^^=

That's... kinda... creepy...

Sorry. You'd have to wait after I'm old and dead, before anyone can get my eyes.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-07, 06:08   Link #3
HasuMasu
*Artist

Hmm, considering how horribad my eyesight is, would my eyes still have value?

By the time I'm dead I'd probably be near-blind anyway.
Old 2011-12-07, 06:26   Link #4
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

You guys do know that organ donation doesn't mean harvesting your organs while you're alive right?

I recently registered myself as an organ donor for whatever organs they can use if/when I die. In medicine organ replacement and transplantation is often the end stage and last resort solution to diseases like liver failure and end stage chronic kidney disease, and there's never enough organs around to save lives. I find it very much a waste that so many lives could be saved and improved if people were more than willing to part with a piece of themselves on death to others who could make use of those organs.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-07, 06:28   Link #5
HasuMasu
*Artist

I know, but the thing is, would my eyes be of any use by that time? I'd imagine you wouldn't be able to see much even if you implanted them.
Old 2011-12-07, 06:55   Link #6
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Not everyone goes through age related eye degenerations. I once saw a 70 year old patient with better eyesight than I have.

Plus it's not a question of eye clarity, but the ability to see. Poor eyesight can be corrected with glasses, but regaining the ability to see is a gift of a miracle.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-07, 07:02   Link #7
HasuMasu
*Artist

I'm saying this because I'm nearly there as it is, would it be any use transplanting a blind eye?

(I'm talking about my eyes by the time I'm dead here.)