AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-10-27, 16:51   Link #21
FireChick

Of course Anime News Network doesn't have this info on their website yet so we can't say that it's licensed unless ANN says so. Sorry about that.
Old 2007-10-27, 19:08   Link #22
khryoleoz
Power of 9 SoShi-ist

Well. So sorry if the content of my domestic region one vol 4 Haruhi DVD is deemed to be no reliable source of information if ANN does not confirm it just YET. Even so, I think I'll place my bet on title 58 track 1 of that DVD.
Old 2007-10-27, 19:26   Link #23
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
I wouldn't trust ANN with my life, why should I wait for confirmation from them? Besides, I've seen enough confirmation for myself, and it wasn't here.
Old 2007-10-27, 19:39   Link #24
JEEB
Bishoujo fanatic
*Fansubber

As far as I've seen it, Lucky☆Star is as licensed as it could be. Maybe big news sites haven't picked it up yet, but the stuff on the internet surely got me convinced this night.

Now to think which should I get... the DVD box set of the R2 or R1... I guess I'll go for R2 if there's nothing spectacular within the R1 DVD sets. Lucky☆Star was a nice little series, so I guess that if you want to support the makers, buy it.
Old 2007-10-27, 20:34   Link #25
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEB View Post
Now to think which should I get... the DVD box set of the R2 or R1... I guess I'll go for R2 if there's nothing spectacular within the R1 DVD sets. Lucky☆Star was a nice little series, so I guess that if you want to support the makers, buy it.
Well, if you mean the Japanese R2 release (not sure what you mean by "box set"), I can say that most of the English-speaking fans I know who were collecting it decided to wait for the R1s, as they weren't that impressed with it. I'm sort of debating the same issue myself. 12 discs at $55/each adds up...
Old 2007-10-28, 00:14   Link #26
Wavedash
Mayo on everything

I guess I'm a believer now, but I find it really hard to think that they'd ship out preorders this early. My reservations would be put to rest by photographic evidence of the physical DVD or its packaging. *hint hint*
Old 2007-10-28, 05:28   Link #27
Narumi
*Fansubber

Short of a press release (which is what I assume everyone who wants 'official' news is expecting) this is clear proof that Lucky Star has been licensed, not to mention the fact that it's been expected.
Old 2007-10-28, 06:39   Link #28
FireChick

I wasn't trying to be mean or anything. Really.
Old 2007-10-28, 21:02   Link #29
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'm almost more confident of Weekly World News than a certain anime news site .... and I've come to feel their sole goal long ago shifted from a news source to "increase the page hits and eyeballs" which means they engage in inflammatory techniques and things like the recent scam thread in the General Anime forum regarding an article on their site.

I'm very confident L*S will get or is licensed. It has all the right connections AND its certainly quite approachable compared to, say, Pani Poni Dash which was successfully licensed and sold in R1 land despite its extreme level of japanese referencing (cultural, pop, political, historical).
Old 2007-10-29, 09:44   Link #30
W-General
Bushinsoukou
*Scanlator

Send a message via ICQ to W-General Send a message via AIM to W-General Send a message via MSN to W-General
Quote:
Originally Posted by khryoleoz View Post
Well. So sorry if the content of my domestic region one vol 4 Haruhi DVD is deemed to be no reliable source of information if ANN does not confirm it just YET. Even so, I think I'll place my bet on title 58 track 1 of that DVD.
I am extremely happy that Lucky Star will eventually be getting a release - I don't know if this falls under the licensed category of "AnimeSuki Rules"....but that's the least of my concern. While I am not sure of the exact details or distributors, all I need to know is it will be released and that's good enough.

But I am quite upset that some people already have received Haruhi DVD 4 while Rightstuf is being Turtley slow about my copy...I preoredered this two months ago...where is it!!!
(Where did you all order your vol.4 from? Pacific DVD?)
Old 2007-10-29, 11:47   Link #31
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by W-General View Post
But I am quite upset that some people already have received Haruhi DVD 4 while Rightstuf is being Turtley slow about my copy...I preoredered this two months ago...where is it!!!
(Where did you all order your vol.4 from? Pacific DVD?)
It's not even out for another week. TRSI is not going to ship it until a few days before street date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khryoleoz View Post
bootlegsrus.com had theirs in stock as early as 10/23/2007.
Wow, so they are breaking street dates now too. It's a wonder that the companies let them get stock.
Old 2007-10-29, 11:53   Link #32
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Of course with a *name* like that, its a wonder they get stock or customers....
Old 2007-10-29, 12:19   Link #33
Calawain
Gaijin

I have to say I'm pretty excited about this, I almost jumped up in class when I read it. Well not almost, but I was giddy. I knew this would get licensed eventually, and I'm glad they decided to pick it up this quickly after the last episode, it's been what 6 weeks or something? Hopefully they can fire it out pretty soon, although I will say good luck to those who are responsible for the subs and dub scripts. A lot of decisions will have to be made for translation and localization, and somebody will be unhappy either way. However, there is plenty of explanatory material in this forum for anyone that ends up being confused over translations.

I don't really think they should go the Haruhi way and have a big, expensive LE for each of what I assume will be 6 volumes. If they stick to 1 or 2 box volumes with maybe a figure or something neat extra that will be enough for me. They will be able to capture a lot of the Haruhi audience, but it won't reach the same amount of people as it's appeal is more limited in an American market. Either way I can't wait for 2008 =)

Edit: Yeah, ANN is good for its encyclopedia, but don't exactly trusts its news at face value without sources, nor its editorials and reviews.
Old 2007-10-29, 13:18   Link #34
khryoleoz
Power of 9 SoShi-ist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab View Post
Wow, so they are breaking street dates now too. It's a wonder that the companies let them get stock.
Hey now. I won't deny your characterization of any retailer, but please make clear the modifications made to a quote by encapsulating them in brackets "[]". I was confused about what I thought I stated for a moment.

Anyway, I've seen a few specialty retailers able to do this because they buy from a distributor instead of getting shipments directly from the studio. Not that anybody is supposed to break street dates, but how does a studio impose a release date on an independent retailer who does not buy directly from the studio? I'm not sure they can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calawain View Post
I have to say I'm pretty excited about this, I almost jumped up in class when I read it. Well not almost, but I was giddy. I knew this would get licensed eventually, and I'm glad they decided to pick it up this quickly after the last episode, it's been what 6 weeks or something? Hopefully they can fire it out pretty soon, although I will say good luck to those who are responsible for the subs and dub scripts. A lot of decisions will have to be made for translation and localization, and somebody will be unhappy either way. However, there is plenty of explanatory material in this forum for anyone that ends up being confused over translations.

I don't really think they should go the Haruhi way and have a big, expensive LE for each of what I assume will be 6 volumes. If they stick to 1 or 2 box volumes with maybe a figure or something neat extra that will be enough for me. They will be able to capture a lot of the Haruhi audience, but it won't reach the same amount of people as it's appeal is more limited in an American market. Either way I can't wait for 2008 =)

Edit: Yeah, ANN is good for its encyclopedia, but don't exactly trusts its news at face value without sources, nor its editorials and reviews.
You should have seen my reaction when I saw the special teaser. The moment Konata opened the door, I was going through a flood of emotions and probably expressed them in a few unintelligible ways. I'm not sure how they'll be able to justify pricing the way they did Haruhi. Hopefully, it's simple. Have a Boxed edition vol 1, then single volume releases thereafter. The Haruhi packaging was understandable, as they bundled discs with the Kyon episode order. But Bandai please, don't do what you did with GitS SAC by adding a second disc with the same content having a DTS track when the DTS track can go to the same disc as the Dolby one.
Old 2007-10-29, 13:48   Link #35
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Damn another series where I'll just buy it. Just so I can hug it.
Old 2007-10-29, 13:49   Link #36
MaxwellDemon
"Bi?!" BI?!
*Graphic Designer

Great, great, great news.
I am definitely getting the DVDs as soon as it is out (and hopefully it'll offer a subbed option).
Old 2007-10-29, 15:49   Link #37
Calawain
Gaijin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxwellDemon View Post
Great, great, great news.
I am definitely getting the DVDs as soon as it is out (and hopefully it'll offer a subbed option).
Don't worry, it will have a Japanese+english subtitles option.
Old 2007-10-29, 16:05   Link #38
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
I honestly think only hardcore fans of Lucky Star will buy this. This anime is not mainstream at all especially the jokes.
Old 2007-10-29, 17:10   Link #39
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'll be sure and tell my "mainstream" friends who *liked* the series that they made a terrible error??? O.o

(why do people keep making this unsupportable assertion when things like Pani Poni Dash are already on the market and there's actually a high percentage of generally funny gags and slice-of-life human comedy that don't require any particular special education?)

Last edited by Vexx; 2007-10-29 at 21:25.
Old 2007-10-29, 17:17   Link #40
OutPhase
Lord Chairman God King

Send a message via AIM to OutPhase
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy001_M1A2 View Post
I honestly think only hardcore fans of Lucky Star will buy this. This anime is not mainstream at all especially the jokes.
Personally, I would beg to differ since I know a lot of places that cannot shut up about this damn series.
Closed Thread