AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Sword Art Online: Alicization - Episode 6 Rating
Perfect 10 3 33.33%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 1 11.11%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 2 22.22%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 33.33%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2018-11-11, 12:47   Link #21
4th Dimension

Okay, I know I’m not supposed to think about RL part of SAO plot. Also I’m kind of new to the franchise so I admit parts of this may have been explained in other SAO parts. But, maaaaaaan. There was just SOOO MUCH stupidity and ugliness in this episode that it seems to me fractaly stupid.
In any case I have to document all bits that threw me off.
TL;DR…
Long ass rant and nitpicking
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
And then I had to put Spyce to the hurt area of my brain. A show about highschool spies, that is actually smarter than this…whatever this is.

Join Midchilda Discord server - a Nanoha community server

Last edited by 4th Dimension; 2018-11-11 at 13:46. Reason: please use tags for such wall of text
4th Dimension is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-11, 13:10   Link #22
azenable
President of TecoT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Dimension View Post
There can be only 1 answers your questions....read the book

Last edited by Klashikari; 2018-11-11 at 13:37. Reason: saving space, no need to full quote
azenable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-11, 13:15   Link #23
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
1: Kirito’s mind is damaged and we are using fucklight magic to heal it somehow. TBH this sounds like growing a new mind over the old damaged one. This could not result in Kirito as they knew him, but someone having Kirito’s body and some of his memories but not all. Whatever was damaged probably can’t be restored, just patched over. But I’m sure fucklight magic should be able to do just that.
There is one thing that I think needs some clarifications (and might lead to even bigger debate): the laughing coffin member used suxamethonium chloride on Kazuto, which provoked a heart attack.

Considering the descripton given by Kikuoka, it is safe to conclude Kazuto's brain has suffered major damage due to cerebral hypoxia. As such, it isn't as if Kazuto's mind is "shattered". It is more like his brain got screwed by lack of oxygen to the point many cells died. That said, it is possible for someone to recover from a vegetative state, but it highly depends on the extent of the damage done to the brain. Kikuoka stated that "it cannot be healed". This means that Kazuto is definitely brain dead, unless Kikuoka lied.

And to be frank, all the bogus talk about STL generating a new neuronal network is hardly believable, even if you consider "great progress in medical technology", simply because neurons -cannot- proceed with mitosis. If they were talking about some incredible technology that could produce neural stem cells which could serve as neuronal transplant and whatnot, that could be possible in theory. But stimulating brain cells for the neurogenesis? Not a chance, especially this would work only on very specific area of the brain itself.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2018-11-11 at 13:38.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-11, 13:15   Link #24
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Oh my God. I'm really struggling to comprehend the ridiculousness of this episode really. The fact that all it took was the JSDF guy to say that he was fixing Kirito's brain damage and Asuna just fucking takes his word for it even when she has amply reason to suspect otherwise. And this is supposed to be a huge state secret that a government is willing to risk a huge scandal and they just let Asuna talk about it to her friends. Like what the fuck?
I didn't get the sense that Asuna put any kind of trust in Kikuoka at this point, although what he's saying is all she really has to go on as far as what's actually going on with Kirito. Frankly she probably trusts the nurse and Kayaba's girlfriend accomplice more then she trusts Kikuoka (and I would too).
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodyKitty View Post
Apparently, the scene where Asuna talked to Kirito's harem in ALO is completely anime original, in the novel she is mostly cut off from the outside world and can't get access to Internet. Most people including LN readers agree that this is a stupid addition just so the irrelevant supporting cast in this arc can get screen time.
We did get Lisbeth's reaction to finding out about Alice. That almost makes it worth it for me .

I get that it is a little nonsensical plot-wise, but I do like seeing the girls interacting and involved .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Soul View Post
There was Asuna's extremely creepy fiancee. Though the fact that only someone like him is allowed to hate Kayaba is pretty telling about how the show wants us to view him.
I think the show made it pretty clear that Asuna's life pre-SAO was very unhappy and unfulfilling for her. It wasn't until she was in SAO and met Kirito that she started to really come alive and find a happiness that she didn't have in the real world. Although even post-marital bliss Asuna was determined to complete the game because she felt they owed it to the other players to free everyone.

I know it feels like the show tends to have characters give Kayaba a pass (even though Asuna still says what he did was an unforgivable crime) but I always got the sense that the show has always gone for a conflicted view of Kayaba in that his goal and dreams weren't necessarily bad but that the way he went about it was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormenk View Post
How does plugging Kirito into Underworld help repair his damaged brain? They could have used something else, instead of the precious sandbox they built up and preserved even through the flaw in regards to rule-breaking.
I forget...is it stimulating and re-developing his damaged brain cells? I think that's what the point of it was .
Old 2018-11-11, 14:02   Link #25
4th Dimension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
There is one thing that I think needs some clarifications (and might lead to even bigger debate): the laughing coffin member used suxamethonium chloride on Kazuto, which provoked a heart attack.

Considering the descripton given by Kikuoka, it is safe to conclude Kazuto's brain has suffered major damage due to cerebral hypoxia. As such, it isn't as if Kazuto's mind is "shattered". It is more like his brain got screwed by lack of oxygen to the point many cells died. That said, it is possible for someone to recover from a vegetative state, but it highly depends on the extent of the damage done to the brain. Kikuoka stated that "it cannot be healed". This means that Kazuto is definitely brain dead, unless Kikuoka lied.

And to be frank, all the bogus talk about STL generating a new neuronal network is hardly believable, even if you consider "great progress in medical technology", simply because neurons -cannot- proceed with mitosis. If they were talking about some incredible technology that could produce neural stem cells which could serve as neuronal transplant and whatnot, that could be possible in theory. But stimulating brain cells for the neurogenesis? Not a chance, especially this would work only on very specific area of the brain itself.
Well depending on the amount of damaged cells, it might be that the neural network of the old Kirito shattered, but human mind has a LOOOT of cells, so one might still be able to renetwork the surviving ones.

But even if you do that, I can't really see Kirito remaining unchanged given that his old self is gone. Unless they are going with fucklights being a backup of the brain, which is frankly silluly redundant. But if so, they are counting on his remaining cells to reknit in the image of his old self. This is of course ignoring the issue of his wetware overwriting his fuckware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
I know it feels like the show tends to have characters give Kayaba a pass (even though Asuna still says what he did was an unforgivable crime) but I always got the sense that the show has always gone for a conflicted view of Kayaba in that his goal and dreams weren't necessarily bad but that the way he went about it was.
Well, to me this is kinda like people who met and had exciting but dangerous couple of years due to WWII saying that they can't hate Hitler because of it. Which is a bit...
Then again it seems Asuna has intrnalized that Commander = Kayaba, when I'd expect that she would try to divorce these two personalities for her sanity's sake.

Given that I'm only aware of the Abridged version, what WAS his goal and dream?!? Sure it seems to have been to make a VR world where people can live and wonder and like. But how is that accomplished by TRAPPING people and KILLING them if they die in game!?!

Quote:
I forget...is it stimulating and re-developing his damaged brain cells? I think that's what the point of it was .
Quote:
If we use the STL to directly stimulate his Fluctlight we can induce the generation of a new neural network.
I'm guessing he means that Kirito's FL wasn't affected by brain death (nice brain backup safety feature there we definitely needed to evolve) so they plan to let the FL Kirito play in their world and hope that this will naturally be reflected back on the wetware, like it normally does when you FL VR dive. It's how you are supposed to remember stuff.
It's kinda like if your HDD with your system died because disk faults appeared in the wrong files so you can't boot any longer, but you have a backup of the drive before that. So you WIPE the old drive, section off the faulty bits and copy the backup back in.

Join Midchilda Discord server - a Nanoha community server
4th Dimension is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-11, 14:16   Link #26
Frontier

Quote:
Well, to me this is kinda like people who met and had exciting but dangerous couple of years due to WWII saying that they can't hate Hitler because of it. Which is a bit...
Then again it seems Asuna has intrnalized that Commander = Kayaba, when I'd expect that she would try to divorce these two personalities for her sanity's sake.
I don't know if I'd compare SAO to WWII. I think it'd be more like if you Isekai'd a bunch of people and they all had to make a life in that other world.

I'm not surprised Asuna often refers to Kayaba as the Commander since she knew him best as Heathcliff. She probably knew him longer then all the time Kirito did, even if Heathcliff wasn't exactly Kayaba.
Quote:
Given that I'm only aware of the Abridged version, what WAS his goal and dream?!? Sure it seems to have been to make a VR world where people can live and wonder and like. But how is that accomplished by TRAPPING people and KILLING them if they die in game!?!
He wanted to create a fantasy world that was as lifelike and enthralling as the real world. His way of accomplishing that was by forcing people to live in it and making actual death possible so that it would feel more real to the people who were living in that world.
Old 2018-11-11, 17:13   Link #27
Applehell

The story really hammering that Kayaba is coming back in someway isn't?
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-11, 17:24   Link #28
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
I'm not surprised Asuna often refers to Kayaba as the Commander since she knew him best as Heathcliff. She probably knew him longer then all the time Kirito did, even if Heathcliff wasn't exactly Kayaba.
I just think it's sad that she still refers to him as "Commander" because that still requires a degree of hierarchical deference and respect to a guy that was nothing but a fraud (even if you can somehow leave aside the whole kidnapping and killing of thousands on its own).

Would it be overthinking to say this is probably a cultural thing? I know the Japanese have a similar perspective when it comes to the war criminals of their historical past...
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-11, 19:06   Link #29
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applehell View Post
I mean, with his AI, I guess he never really left .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I just think it's sad that she still refers to him as "Commander" because that still requires a degree of hierarchical deference and respect to a guy that was nothing but a fraud (even if you can somehow leave aside the whole kidnapping and killing of thousands on its own).

Would it be overthinking to say this is probably a cultural thing? I know the Japanese have a similar perspective when it comes to the war criminals of their historical past...
I think she calls him that more out of habit then respect, which is usually why she corrects herself when she calls him that.

Kind of like how she almost always calls people by their SAO names and had to make an effort to remember to call Kirito by his real name a few times instead of just "Kirito."
Old 2018-11-12, 10:11   Link #30
azenable
President of TecoT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applehell View Post
His at the end of every Arc isn't he? this whole story can happen because of him as well.

Old 2018-11-12, 10:14   Link #31
azenable
President of TecoT

Quote:
Well depending on the amount of damaged cells, it might be that the neural network of the old Kirito shattered, but human mind has a LOOOT of cells, so one might still be able to renetwork the surviving ones.

But even if you do that, I can't really see Kirito remaining unchanged given that his old self is gone. Unless they are going with fucklights being a backup of the brain, which is frankly silluly redundant. But if so, they are counting on his remaining cells to reknit in the image of his old self. This is of course ignoring the issue of his wetware overwriting his fuckware.

I'm guessing he means that Kirito's FL wasn't affected by brain death (nice brain backup safety feature there we definitely needed to evolve) so they plan to let the FL Kirito play in their world and hope that this will naturally be reflected back on the wetware, like it normally does when you FL VR dive. It's how you are supposed to remember stuff.
It's kinda like if your HDD with your system died because disk faults appeared in the wrong files so you can't boot any longer, but you have a backup of the drive before that. So you WIPE the old drive, section off the faulty bits and copy the backup back in.
You are missing the point, Kirito is now exploring 'Underworld' with his SOUL.
in the SAO world, the brain works differently...