AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > To Aru... Index [LN/M]

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-06-15, 14:55   Link #11261
Ashaman

Hmm, on Baka Tsuki, why is it that when I click for full text, it shows me the pro+epilouge only, plus re-directs? Kinda pisses me off.

It's on vols 6-11, at least
Old 2011-06-15, 16:44   Link #11262
outerelf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashaman View Post
Hmm, on Baka Tsuki, why is it that when I click for full text, it shows me the pro+epilouge only, plus re-directs? Kinda pisses me off.

It's on vols 6-11, at least
That's odd, I'm not getting that at all. I get the entire volume- is it too much for your browser to load or something?
Old 2011-06-15, 17:19   Link #11263
Ashaman

And now its no longer happening.

Never mind
Old 2011-06-15, 17:40   Link #11264
Miraluka
Banned

About Touma's lines at vol. 2 epilogue wasn't that said lines were for Index but it was misunderstood by her leading this to another unfortunated situations, much to Stiyl's delight?
Old 2011-06-15, 18:02   Link #11265
Okashira
どうだろうね。ふふ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfriback View Post
About Touma's lines at vol. 2 epilogue wasn't that said lines were for Index but it was misunderstood by her leading this to another unfortunated situations, much to Stiyl's delight?
For what I remember, it was the part were Stiyl and Touma were speaking about Aureolus fate. When Touma realized that Stiyl didn't fried Aureolus to hell he thought to himself and said out loud "you are one of those good guys" (or something on those lines).
Stiyl, being the original male tsundere of the series, totally twitched; Touma went at it again and when it was for about time for some male bonding (& hopely underage drinking(??)) Index walked in when things were getting good.

Vol 21, Chapter 5, part 3, it looks like the previous conception about "Accelerator tweaking his choker to extend time" is also a miss translation (then again, I haven't read the rest of the volume in jp). I'm glad that they offhandedly explained again the Madoushi (Sorcerer) term

Last edited by Okashira; 2011-06-15 at 18:57.
Old 2011-06-15, 19:11   Link #11266
Kenju of the Right
Imagine Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okashira View Post
the Madoushi (Sorcerer) term
Same here, the last time I heard it was during the Daihaseisai Festival. I was wondering how much of a difference there was between that and Magician. And it appears Necessarius don't take a like to them
Intellectual Village: Volume 6 Chapter 3
Mitou Shoukan:// Blood Sign Volume 1 Chapter 1
Heavy Object: Volume 10 Complete
Gakusen Toshi Asterisk: Volume 7 Chapter 2
Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei: Volume 12 Chapter 12
Rokka no Yuusha Volume 4 Chapter 1

Old 2011-06-15, 19:19   Link #11267
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenju of the Right View Post
Same here, the last time I heard it was during the Daihaseisai Festival. I was wondering how much of a difference there was between that and Magician. And it appears Necessarius don't take a like to them

The way I interpret it at that time is that one is simply a magician, while the other is like a 'Master Magician'. Though at that time I had also thought that it means they were powerful enough to write Grimoires...
Old 2011-06-15, 19:44   Link #11268
Miraluka
Banned

Chapter 5 Part 4: Shit happens to Stiyl.

Innocentius!!!!
Old 2011-06-15, 23:47   Link #11269
shmaster
オンドリャァァァ!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenju of the Right View Post
The explanation is that Madoushi are people who focus more on teaching the knowledge of magic. Majutsushi are people who focus more on actually performing the magic.

Which pose a problem. Why would Anglican dislike them only because they like to teach?
Old 2011-06-15, 23:51   Link #11270
Flere821
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okashira View Post
For what I remember, it was the part were Stiyl and Touma were speaking about Aureolus fate. When Touma realized that Stiyl didn't fried Aureolus to hell he thought to himself and said out loud "you are one of those good guys" (or something on those lines).
Stiyl, being the original male tsundere of the series, totally twitched; Touma went at it again and when it was for about time for some male bonding (& hopely underage drinking(??)) Index walked in when things were getting good.

Vol 21, Chapter 5, part 3, it looks like the previous conception about "Accelerator tweaking his choker to extend time" is also a miss translation (then again, I haven't read the rest of the volume in jp). I'm glad that they offhandedly explained again the Madoushi (Sorcerer) term
Yeah, that's basically what happened to Stiyl - he left Aureolus alive by reshaping his face with flame magic, and just let him go since he lost all memory. Better than have Aureolus captured by a magic cabal and tortured for info on Ars Magna. Touma wanted to pat him for a job well done (and not being a bad guy) but is mistaken by Index for doing something else.

And the 'sorcerer' here isn't like what they might call Zelretch or someone that has True Magic in Nasuverse... 'Madoushi' is more like 'people that guide the path of magic flows', versus a 'magician/mage' that uses magic. That's what I'm getting from the kanji at least.
Old 2011-06-15, 23:56   Link #11271
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmaster View Post
The explanation is that Madoushi are people who focus more on teaching the knowledge of magic. Majutsushi are people who focus more on actually performing the magic.

Which pose a problem. Why would Anglican dislike them only because they like to teach?
Necessarius was created as a witch-hunting organization or counter-magician right? Hence the name 'necessary evil'; having people who can/wants to teach others to become magicians would obviously put them on alert.
Old 2011-06-16, 00:02   Link #11272
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

^ What Chaos2Frozen said.

More teachers of magic, more magicians, tougher work for Necessarius.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Old 2011-06-16, 01:06   Link #11273
Okashira
どうだろうね。ふふ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flere821 View Post
And the 'sorcerer' here isn't like what they might call Zelretch or someone that has True Magic in Nasuverse... 'Madoushi' is more like 'people that guide the path of magic flows', versus a 'magician/mage' that uses magic. That's what I'm getting from the kanji at least.
I was waiting for a chance to mention this, "yes" Sorcerer while is the meaning of the word really doesn't convey the meaning of the term; then again the story has many terms like these (on the top of my head, we have "counter stop" that really doesn't reference anything, but when we read it as Shoutai Fumei (unknown identity) things really change).

魔導師 -> 魔 (Ma : Magic) // 導 (Dou : Guide) // 師 (Shi : Expert // Master (though for the case I would like to go for "practitioner").

In the same vein Majutsushi 魔術師 would go for "magic arts practitioner".

Also, I suppose that Necessarius hates them because "by definition" they are the basis of an organization / cabal by having a "master" and "apprentice(s)" relationship. If we add what Index said to the mix (that they are meant to have the ability to read or write grimoires) we have that they can more easily expand the magic knowledge.

Now that I remember, Etzali said that if Necessarius heard that he had and read a grimoire or two they are likely to send someone to roast him.

-----------------------

Mumbling / theory aside; part 5, chapter 5, vol 21 is done. It's about Shiage being tempted into an affair by Yuriko while Rikou sleeps besides them.

Last edited by Okashira; 2011-06-16 at 01:46.
Old 2011-06-16, 01:11   Link #11274
Phibrizzo
Honos628

Well normally in Occident a Sorcerer is someone natural born with the gift of magic, while a magi is someone who trained to acquire the same lvl of performance (and less most of the time).

Also Sorcerer is normally someone gifted or rather good compared to a Magi.

@Okashira: Consider how broken Etzali is at the moment compared to a average magician, they are in real trouble if they try to face him.
Old 2011-06-16, 01:34   Link #11275
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by phibrizzo View Post

@Okashira: Consider how broken Etzali is at the moment compared to a average magician, they are in real trouble if they try to face him.
Its their job to deal with people like that, i'm sure they'll have some means to counter him.
Old 2011-06-16, 01:43   Link #11276
tsunade666

Isn't broken magician a normal thing to occur in this series?

This series just lacks the balance of power level <.<
Old 2011-06-16, 02:09   Link #11277
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
Isn't broken magician a normal thing to occur in this series?

This series just lacks the balance of power level <.<
Because if it wasn't a broken magician, then there won't be any trouble an so there wont be a story in the first place. Its like nobody cares when the police are doing their job until something happens.

Still, this isn't as bad as Nanoha, at least in Index, the weaker characters have more roles to play than just folders for the strong. in index, sometimes the strong needs help from the weak... In Index, sometimes the strongest can be defeated by the weakest.

Last edited by Chaos2Frozen; 2011-06-16 at 02:21.
Old 2011-06-16, 02:23   Link #11278
Phibrizzo
Honos628

Yet Etzali is stronger than the akamatsu, styl, oriana, biago and I dare to say he can take on Kanzaki or Terra.
Old 2011-06-16, 02:45   Link #11279
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phibrizzo View Post
Yet Etzali is stronger than the akamatsu, styl, oriana, biago and I dare to say he can take on Kanzaki or Terra.
Lets assume your measurments of Etzali's ability is accurate, IF necessarius can be overpowered by one guy with two grimoires, then the other churches would have wipe them out years ago.

Plus, this is the same organization that is preparing to go after Aleister Crowley, what makes you think they dont have any tricks to deal with grimoires?
Old 2011-06-16, 04:32   Link #11280
shmaster
オンドリャァァァ!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Lets assume your measurments of Etzali's ability is accurate, IF necessarius can be overpowered by one guy with two grimoires, then the other churches would have wipe them out years ago.

Plus, this is the same organization that is preparing to go after Aleister Crowley, what makes you think they dont have any tricks to deal with grimoires?
True to this, just imagine how many original grimores are inside Vatican's underground Library......

In the power struggle between churches, 2 grimores isn't making that much of a difference.
Closed Thread

Tags
action, dengeki bunko, fantasy, light novels, science fiction, shounen