Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2008-10-22, 13:06   Link #2161
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
How do you say 'I don't care' in Japanese?
I suppose it depends on the context... I'd say "kamawanai" but I'm sure there are exceptions to its usage as "I don't care".

It also depends on what you mean by "I don't care" ("It's none of my business"? "I don't mind"?).

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-22, 13:24   Link #2162
mangalowres
AS Mods Sandbag

Who pays for what?

Do the Tv stations pay for the animes?
Who pays the art and animation studios?

Who gets from where money?

mangalowres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-22, 14:11   Link #2163
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
It's called investing. Producers (and companies acting as producers, and the anime studios' parent companies) give money to anime studios and expect to get their share of the profits--obviously more than what they put in.

I'm sure there are a lot of complexities in the middle, but that's the basic structure for any sort of project, not only anime.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-22, 14:35   Link #2164
ZippyDSM
Incoherance is my friend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiberLibri View Post
Probably this one will suit to your purpose. The charms are of Kawasaki Daishi, a temple strongly oriented to mystic and magical aspects of Buddhism (so-called Mikkyou). The right one is for saving disasters, the middle is to protect you from theft and fire. The characters thereupon are mixture of kanji and Sanskrit.

Since Japanese people have developed a magnanimous syncretism of various elements from various religions (native-Japanese, Chinese and Indian etc), it has little significance in most cases to define rigidly which religion the matter is. However, there exist certain distinct points in the appearances from one religion to another. You should decide first what you are going to draw: Shinto or Buddhism at least, each of which holds a number of sects in it. If you write a Shinto priestess writing Sanskrit I would be perplexed.
A lose but specific enough charm is what I am going for, protecting from disasters peeks mew interests. While what I wish to use it for is non related to anything specific having that tiny additional bit of detail to it makes it that much better IMO. Layer the details and make a grand base for what you are making.

*dig dig*
Here's what I have for Runes and arcanic text in my lil world

"Runes and arcane languages carry influence and power with them. This power can be refined, extracted and focused using materials to write them, when applied to the device you can program its function and you can fold the writings into the device layer by layer these writings adhere to not just the item they are applied to enhance or loosen its dimensional make allow various types of energies to flow into it allowing it to do whatever its defined task is. Some even have shifting runes as more power and control is needed for its various task as the item grows in power layers of text comes to the surface."

Yes I know it sucks grammar aint my thing :P

And now I get to write out how he came across it!! what fun!!
ZippyDSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-25, 14:38   Link #2165
Reaper-flora
Guard of the dream forest

i think my question belongs here because its pretty silly...

i have no idea how to put an avatar up here can someone tell me? ty
Reaper-flora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-25, 14:41   Link #2166
Reaper-flora
Guard of the dream forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper-flora View Post
i think my question belongs here because its pretty silly...

i have no idea how to put an avatar up here can someone tell me? ty
omg sorry found out thanks to someone els lol :$ sorry for these posts
Reaper-flora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-25, 15:39   Link #2167
mangalowres
AS Mods Sandbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper-flora View Post
omg sorry found out thanks to someone els lol :$ sorry for these posts
That would be worth for another silly question...
Can someone answer her or his silly question ?

Reaper-flora did it but it this legal?
Old 2008-10-26, 01:54   Link #2168
cicido
I'm so moe I kill myself
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangalowres View Post
That would be worth for another silly question...
Can someone answer her or his silly question ?

Reaper-flora did it but it this legal?
Well, the whole point of this thread is so that people get their questions answered.
As long as the purpose is served then I don't see it as a problem.
cicido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-26, 03:47   Link #2169
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Question: does "Hyakko" have any meaning? It's the name of an airing anime btw
Old 2008-10-26, 03:55   Link #2170
LiberLibri
(`◉◞౪◟◉´)

Send a message via AIM to LiberLibri
Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
白虎 (white tiger). Guardian of West. The names of main characters in the anime are taken from Chinese myth.
LiberLibri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-26, 04:01   Link #2171
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Anime Title Meanings
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-26, 04:58   Link #2172
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
白虎 (white tiger). Guardian of West. The names of main characters in the anime are taken from Chinese myth.
Another question if you don't mind.
If 虎 pronounce as Tora (as in 上下山虎子 (Kageyama Torako) )
How come 白虎 pronounce as Hyakko?

Oh wait, let me put it this way: how do you call a (let's see.....) a "black tiger" in Japanese? Actually any colour is fine i just want to see the different. Or does it means "white tiger" and "tiger" were identified as two different kind of animals, so have different name?

Thank in advance
Old 2008-10-26, 07:18   Link #2173
LiberLibri
(`◉◞౪◟◉´)

Send a message via AIM to LiberLibri
Quote:
Another question if you don't mind.
If 虎 pronounce as Tora (as in 上下山虎子 (Kageyama Torako) )
How come 白虎 pronounce as Hyakko?

Oh wait, let me put it this way: how do you call a (let's see.....) a "black tiger" in Japanese? Actually any colour is fine i just want to see the different. Or does it means "white tiger" and "tiger" were identified as two different kind of animals, so have different name?

Thank in advance
No. The answer is simple: on-yomi of 虎 is 「こ ko」, and kun-yomi is 「とら tora」. You can say a white tiger is 「しろい とら shiroi tora」 in a normal conversation, but the divine 白虎 as a proper noun in Chinese myth should be called 「ひゃっこ hyakko or びゃっこ byakko」.

It is ironical modern Chinese people call it bai-hu today; Japanese preserves better ancient Chinese sounds.

blacktiger is えび .
LiberLibri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-26, 09:38   Link #2174
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
blacktiger is えび .
So "black tiger" is another name for prawn or lobster in Japanese, and it is pronounced as "evi"?

Stop confusing me

PS: thank you for your answers btw...
Old 2008-10-27, 22:38   Link #2175
FateAnomaly

Quote:

It is ironical modern Chinese people call it bai-hu today; Japanese preserves better ancient Chinese sounds.
I don't understand what you mean by this. Bai-hu has always been Bai-hu to the chinese.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-28, 16:20   Link #2176
anti-random
We want chicken tonight

Australia is planning to introduce compulsory blocking programs to ISP's to provide a "clean feed" to Australian homes. However, the list of blocked websites is blacklisted. My question is it legal for the government to do this. Wouldn't it blocking freedom of speech. The Australian Communications and Media Authority tested the filters and found this:
Quote:
On 28 July 2008, an ACMA report entitled “Closed Environment Testing of ISP-Level Internet Content Filtering”[7] showed that of the six unnamed ISP-based filters evaluated:

* One filter caused a 22% drop in speed even when it was *not* performing filtering;
* Only one of the six filters had an acceptable level of performance (a drop of 2% in a laboratory trial), the others causing drops in speed of between 21% and 86%;
* The most accurate filters were often the slowest;
* All filters tested had problems with under-blocking, allowing access to between 2% and 13% of material that they should have blocked; and
* All filters tested had serious problems with over-blocking, wrongly blocking access to between 1.3% and 7.8% of the websites tested.
But is this still allowed to go ahead?????

Thanks Sephi
anti-random is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-28, 16:29   Link #2177
ZippyDSM
Incoherance is my friend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anti-random View Post
Australia is planning to introduce compulsory blocking programs to ISP's to provide a "clean feed" to Australian homes. However, the list of blocked websites is blacklisted. My question is it legal for the government to do this. Wouldn't it blocking freedom of speech. The Australian Communications and Media Authority tested the filters and found this:

Short answer yes, the government will pass stupid and ineffective measures and then back pedal and infight when they fail.
ZippyDSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-28, 16:51   Link #2178
Vivio Testarossa
I'm Back

Something strange, I noticed a while back... when I was viewing a post on AnimeSuki... multiple posts seemed to be "garbled" together... When I closed the other open tabs, it went back to "normal"... I haven't been able to reproduce it either... Any clue as to what might have happened ... as that was pretty funny...

Thank for help with signature Evil Rick.
Vivio Testarossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-28, 16:55   Link #2179
mangalowres
AS Mods Sandbag

Your browser was unable to load everything necessary to display it correctly, thats all.
With your second request it got everything it need like normal
Old 2008-10-28, 17:07   Link #2180
Vivio Testarossa
I'm Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by anti-random View Post

Answer would probably be... that it depends on the government in question... As a United States citizen myself... I would have to say that such a measure would likely be struck down as "unconstitutional". However, from what I see about governments in general is that they can pass any law they want as long as the law approval process is followed... whether those laws will "stand" or not is another matter entirely...

As to whether they SHOULD use this "clean feed" system... I do not think that it would be the correct choice, as I feel that it should be up to the individual to decide what content they view... not the government to decide what an individual views. Thus, if I did live in Australia, I would oppose this measure.

Thank for help with signature Evil Rick.
Vivio Testarossa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
problem, q&a, serious