AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > To Aru... Index [LN/M]

Notices

Old 2019-08-27, 20:44   Link #1
LKK

Toaru Kagaku no Dark Matter (Spin-Off Novel Series)

This is a thread to discuss the Toaru Kagaku no Dark Matter spin-off novel series.

Taking place before the events of Old Testament 15, Kamachi has begun to unravel the story behind the mysterious Level 5 esper Kakine Teitoku, and his ensuing encounters with his team after he meets a young girl, Yuzuriha Ringo.

If you are are discussing material before translations have been released, please be considerate and use properly-labelled spoiler tags.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-08-27, 23:51   Link #2
BladeMancer
TheBladeThatRivesDivinity

Spoiler for Spoilers:

Additionally, we get an official measurement as to how much punishment Kakine's wings can take. He said they can at least withstand a railgun blast, and it wasn't referring to Mikoto's railgun either (it would have referred to her specifically). Actual railguns lob projectiles at more then twice the speed Mikoto lobs them at, and the mass of the bullet is different. What I'm saying is that Kakine is incredibly durable.
Frequent use will make it dull and brittle; it's ill sheen reflecting the wielder's lost virtues and strength. Thus comes the saying that the ire of the calm, kind and gentle forges with vengful fire a fearsome bladed edge. Pray for those whose image reflects off it, for it may only stop through reconcilatory waters or icy voids of the end.
BladeMancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-08-28, 21:18   Link #3
jalvin_billster1091
Arcaneus Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeMancer View Post
Spoiler for Spoilers:

Additionally, we get an official measurement as to how much punishment Kakine's wings can take. He said they can at least withstand a railgun blast, and it wasn't referring to Mikoto's railgun either (it would have referred to her specifically). Actual railguns lob projectiles at more then twice the speed Mikoto lobs them at, and the mass of the bullet is different. What I'm saying is that Kakine is incredibly durable.
Good eye there, I was thinking along the same lines.

It would have to be a true railgun and not a Misaka railgun, Misaka Railgun has portability not super brute power

That durability is insane...

DA again? They are starting to get really annoying but then yet again the timing is right though
jalvin_billster1091 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-08-28, 23:10   Link #4
DragonXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalvin_billster1091 View Post
Good eye there, I was thinking along the same lines.

It would have to be a true railgun and not a Misaka railgun, Misaka Railgun has portability not super brute power

That durability is insane...

DA again? They are starting to get really annoying but then yet again the timing is right though
DA are the mob of the darkside of AC
DragonXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-08-29, 07:45   Link #5
KiharaRonin

I mean DA's role in AC makes them easy to go back to in Dark Side stories
Old 2019-08-29, 09:02   Link #6
LevelSeven

Its been a long time since i was active on this site, suprised to find a Kakine spinoff of all things, didnt expect that especially since his ending isnt really made for becoming a spinoff.

Obviously though he got himself a loli, never expected anything else. Astral Buddy even has one too. Anyway, good chapter overall, i hope we see a really hugh amount of uses of his power, i always liked the idea of his DM being able to set its own laws for itself so it can become freezing and incredibly hot only depending on Kakines will.
LevelSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-08-30, 23:35   Link #7
alex_drian

Quote:
Spoiler for Spoilers:

Oh well, I always think that nothing with the physical laws of the world could pierce them, but they actually have a measurement of damage.
alex_drian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-08-31, 01:17   Link #8
BladeMancer
TheBladeThatRivesDivinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_drian View Post
Oh well, I always think that nothing with the physical laws of the world could pierce them, but they actually have a measurement of damage.
These are only wings after all. They aren't made with maximum fortification in mind Kakine's Dark Matter was always breakable and fracturable, if it was absolutely invincible then he would deserve the #1 spot, not Accelerator.
Besides that though, if something as soft, fluttery and feathery as wings are able to withstand Railguns when made with Dark Matter, how tough would a Graphene replica be?
Frequent use will make it dull and brittle; it's ill sheen reflecting the wielder's lost virtues and strength. Thus comes the saying that the ire of the calm, kind and gentle forges with vengful fire a fearsome bladed edge. Pray for those whose image reflects off it, for it may only stop through reconcilatory waters or icy voids of the end.
BladeMancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-08-31, 17:14   Link #9
alex_drian

Quote:
These are only wings after all. They aren't made with maximum fortification in mind Kakine's Dark Matter was always breakable and fracturable, if it was absolutely invincible then he would deserve the #1 spot, not Accelerator.
Besides that though, if something as soft, fluttery and feathery as wings are able to withstand Railguns when made with Dark Matter, how tough would a Graphene replica be?
I thought of it because actually the abilities of Accelerator didn't work in Dark Matter first and he actually had to apply new laws of physics in them, meaning of the espers only Accelerator who is the #1 could fight thing. But well, the time prove me wrong.
alex_drian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-01, 23:26   Link #10
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_drian View Post
I thought of it because actually the abilities of Accelerator didn't work in Dark Matter first and he actually had to apply new laws of physics in them, meaning of the espers only Accelerator who is the #1 could fight thing. But well, the time prove me wrong.
No, you're right since it's like that during the Battle Royale arc. But later, it became having a high creative potential but vulnerable to sheer firepower like in the Mugino/Accelerator vs Kakine fight
Old 2019-09-02, 03:40   Link #11
tsunade666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
No, you're right since it's like that during the Battle Royale arc. But later, it became having a high creative potential but vulnerable to sheer firepower like in the Mugino/Accelerator vs Kakine fight
Shouldn't be that contrasting to the previews given law? its contradicting itself now that its been mentioned.
Old 2019-09-02, 04:34   Link #12
Doe, John

I don't think there's any contradiction. Accelerator needed to learn the new laws in order to affect Dark Matter because that's just how his own power works. This doesn't mean that Dark Matter is unstoppable, since Accelerator also needed to learn how magic works to properly affect it, and magic obviously isn't unstoppable.
Doe, John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-02, 07:13   Link #13
tsunade666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe, John View Post
I don't think there's any contradiction. Accelerator needed to learn the new laws in order to affect Dark Matter because that's just how his own power works. This doesn't mean that Dark Matter is unstoppable, since Accelerator also needed to learn how magic works to properly affect it, and magic obviously isn't unstoppable.
No, I mean the contradicting part is for more fire power to affect it.

Indexverse follows scientific law or more in *at least tried* to be more realistic in some sense, though that is only in the beginning. It follows set of in-universe laws.

It first set, when dark matter appeared, to be alien or outside of usual laws and Accel needs to follows through it with adding it in his calculations, to bypass it. Though later on. Dark matter become cheap deusex of kamachi, to make LOTS of things in his story. its still alien thing, but more of answer to make things happen, thing.
Old 2019-09-04, 00:40   Link #14
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
Shouldn't be that contrasting to the previews given law? its contradicting itself now that its been mentioned.

Wouldn't be the first time things changed over long periods in beteeen volumes in To Aru. I just write it off as being rendered into a mass of regenerating organs did some wonky stuff to Kakine's powers
Old 2019-09-04, 07:07   Link #15
Doe, John

Quote:
No, I mean the contradicting part is for more fire power to affect it.

Indexverse follows scientific law or more in *at least tried* to be more realistic in some sense, though that is only in the beginning. It follows set of in-universe laws.

It first set, when dark matter appeared, to be alien or outside of usual laws and Accel needs to follows through it with adding it in his calculations, to bypass it. Though later on. Dark matter become cheap deusex of kamachi, to make LOTS of things in his story. its still alien thing, but more of answer to make things happen, thing.
I don't remember it ever being stated that Dark Matter couldn't be destroyed with enough firepower. Again, following different laws doesn't mean it must be totally indestructible to attacks following the laws of this world.

The creative potential of Dark Matter has been shown as early as Kakine's introduction in OT15, as he could use it to do many different things (enhanced strength, flight, creating gusts of wind, turning sunlight into deadly rays), and it's also shown by the Dark Matter masks used by the special soldiers in OT22.
Old 2019-09-04, 08:14   Link #16
tsunade666

if enough fire power is enough to deal with it. do you think accelerator would deal with it in by including it in his calculations, just do finish a spare of the plan?

I agree with cosmic, it's not the first that kamachi did this and it won't be the last.
Old 2019-09-04, 09:42   Link #17
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe, John View Post
I don't remember it ever being stated that Dark Matter couldn't be destroyed with enough firepower.
You can....provided the attack is of the property required to break it of course. Meaning you shouldn't be able to just fire an artillery piece at it to destroy it.

Now I don't know why Mugino is able to in NT of course unless she was always able to and didn't get to demonstrate it in Battle Royale....which would mean Mugino's Meltdowner is more exotic than previously thought
Old 2019-09-04, 10:37   Link #18
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician

What she destroy was puppet clones that only were there to torment Accelerator. Not fight.
Old 2019-09-04, 10:47   Link #19
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroageha View Post
What she destroy was puppet clones that only were there to torment Accelerator. Not fight.
Err...no. They were clearly meant to do him in if Mugino had not shown up. They aren't just for illusory tricks. And besides, that fight also included one of Kakine's own avatars
Old 2019-09-04, 17:11   Link #20
Doe, John

Quote:
if enough fire power is enough to deal with it. do you think accelerator would deal with it in by including it in his calculations, just do finish a spare of the plan?

I agree with cosmic, it's not the first that kamachi did this and it won't be the last.
The thing about the Accelerator fight is that Accelerator was also specifically trying to avoid collateral damage, limiting the power he could use. Here's a direct quote:
Quote:
Thinking back, the first sneak attack could have been much more powerful. But if that was the case, Last Order's companion at that time would also have been hurt.