Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-08-15, 12:30   Link #81
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiryuu
.........and I am certain that, if the producers make even the faintest attempt to show some resemblance to the manga, the ecchi will keep increasing exponentially. I wonder if the last ep is just going to be a big pile of police tape...
Yay! Yay! I mean, if the fanservice keeps on increasing then I was right to word it as "bit on the ecchi side" for this episode since the lion share of "ecchi" is yet to come.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-15, 15:22   Link #82
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Well, having NOT watched any episodes past one, episode 1 was nice

And I really liked the OP. Of course, since some specific people are watching this, it means that I'll probably not like it in the end for a number of reasons but whatever

Still, I'm ok since Vexx is also watching that
Old 2006-08-15, 15:43   Link #83
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

well.... what saves it is just that it is cute.

The pace is *really* leisurely ... almost like something you'd watch after a long day at work. The number of players in the show is pretty small (the obligatory apartment consists of the obligatory hard drinker with the big heart and a nice landlady who retires and her granddaughter takes over (megami girl). The first three epsiodes are mostly "slice o life" where Choco keeps getting skewed information from her notebook and spends her day figuring the world out.

Interesting is the "japan as a safe place for a kid to wander about" that is portrayed here ... it *is* still somewhat like that but its kind of nice seeing it.

So far the only ecchi I've encountered is big brother getting embarrassed by Choco's total innocense and cluelessness.

The end of episode 3 brought a smile ... I guess the most damning thing is just that it is kind of predictable but nice though I don't see how they're going to get anywhere before the series ends.

In a very weird way, I get a few Yotsuba "leisurely slice of life" vibes out of the show - though it isn't nearly as funny as that would be.
(guy raising young girl 'from-another-planet', helpful neighbors including possible love interests, pleasant backwater neighborhood with playground)

Last edited by Vexx; 2006-08-15 at 15:55.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-15, 18:21   Link #84
Rin-Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
The end of episode 3 brought a smile ... I guess the most damning thing is just that it is kind of predictable but nice though I don't see how they're going to get anywhere before the series ends.
Spoiler:
Rin-Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-18, 10:32   Link #85
eggplant
Eggplant

Quote:
A question about the DVD. It looks like a DVD is being released on 10/25, if I understood the ad on chocosis.com. One thing has me curious though. If I remember the kanji right, it says something is going to be absent(police tape, judging from the image.) Thing is, I can't tell whether they're saying that the DVD will have censorship fully removed, or whether they're going to replace absurd-looking police tape with still-stupid-looking fuzz, as the image seems to suggest. I hope(and suspect) I'm wrong and they're not just replacing one censor with another. The story's funny either way, but obvious image alterations are a little distracting, regardless of how the original may look.

Ah, belatedly, here is your answer.

I guess you can cut through all of the red...er, yellow tape, even for the front shots.

Yuri de yuri de yuriyuri ne!--Tsunomoto Rein

eggplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-18, 10:45   Link #86
garra113
CaramellDansen!!!

Spoiler:
garra113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-18, 15:45   Link #87
Rin-Sama
Banned

can't see the pic. please turn it in a jpg.
Old 2006-08-18, 15:53   Link #88
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Just install Acrobat reader (its free) .... and you just about can't navigate the Net without it (all government files like tax forms tend to be stored in that format). PDF document files infest the net... there are also readers for users of Linux/Unix systems.

www.adobe.com
Old 2006-08-19, 08:26   Link #89
Rin-Sama
Banned

(saw the pic)

I MUST GET THE DVDS!!!!!
Old 2006-08-22, 15:33   Link #90
nubby

Any Makoto fans here? I love her pervertedness =p
nubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-22, 15:49   Link #91
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by npal
And I really liked the OP. Of course, since some specific people are watching this, it means that I'll probably not like it in the end for a number of reasons but whatever
So I'm watching it (and I like it, but I figured I would because I thought the manga was nice in sort of a feel good, slice of life way), does that make it more likely you're going to like it or not like it?
Old 2006-08-22, 16:19   Link #92
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I still have it in my tentative channel ... what I see on the screen and in the script is pretty innocent (mostly Big Brother spends a lot of time embarrassed). But whereas I just see Choko as moe-cute .... I'm getting a rather unclean feeling from some of the other patrons of the theater.

Looks like they're going for the lame "boob-check" jokes again ... -1 for lame.
The "next door drunken chick" at least novelly strips on a whim -- don't see that very often so .... +1

It portrays japanese neighborhoods about the way my friends and relatives from there describe them, basically safe and people look out for you ... +1 for nostalgic feel.

Chokko cute moe ... (up comes an Anamaniacs schtick with Dot exuding cute at the Dennis-Hopper-photographer in the parody of Apocalypse Now: "Whoa... cuteness, man. You're doing your cute thing" ... can't resist, must obey the cute)
+2.

Status: continuing to watch but so far destined for my secondary anime folder (the Good-but-not-Stellar files).
Old 2006-08-22, 18:36   Link #93
Rin-Sama
Banned

Oh well not all people can be totally won over. I've the manga up to volume 4 and i can say that the anime is pretty much sticking with the manga, with just a few slight discrepionsees. But nothing too much too make it stray away from the manga. Im going to continue watching!
Old 2006-08-22, 18:48   Link #94
DanielSong39

Quote:
Looks like they're going for the lame "boob-check" jokes again ... -1 for lame.
The "next door drunken chick" at least novelly strips on a whim -- don't see that very often so .... +1
Rumiko Takahashi has both jokes down pat... Nabiki's "boob-check" in Ranma 1/2 was the only time the joke has actually been funny. But that had everything to do with situation and timing (i.e. she's not exactly happy that the fiancee is a girl).

As for the "next door drunken chick", it was done masterfully in Maison Ikkoku.

Akamatsu also had one of those "next door drunken chicks" in Love Hina as well; and it was well done. I actually think the girls were mostly OK; the big problem was the lead, Naru...
DanielSong39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-22, 20:48   Link #95
monir
cho~ kakkoii

A bit late with the screen capture, but better late than ever, right? I accidentally dl'ed the 1280x720 version, not that I'm saying I don't like quality capture, just that dling 400mb file for 20 mins episode is plenty wasteful of precious bandwidth and HD space, especially when a reencode would reduce the size under 230mb. Anyway, by the time I noticed the file size, the download was already finished. So, this week's capture had to be splitted into 3 jpeg file to compensate for the size of each screen capture. Anyway, if you can decipher my nonsense, you're worthy of my admiration.

The fanservice was toned down in this episode compared to last week's. Only 3 cases of keep-out yellow-tape warning appears on the screen. There are also a couple of development such as Choco now have an admirer close to her age who she shares an icecream with, and Onichan finally have the chance to take the lady from the flower shop to a date. Next week's episode preview showed a jealous Choco which have me highly anticipating for the upcoming episode.

Screencap for Episode 6:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooboy666
So I'm watching it (and I like it, but I figured I would because I thought the manga was nice in sort of a feel good, slice of life way), does that make it more likely you're going to like it or not like it?
Personally speaking, I could care less if someone is putting down a series because I watch it and like it. If I were to care I would have said something like, "we all have high opinion of ourselves, but let's just keep it to ourselves, shall we?"
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-22, 20:54   Link #96
Seiryuu

Quote:
Apparently you haven't been watching the same comedies I have. Anime or manga, pretty much any ecchi romance comedy has the obligatory drunk exhibitionist. Just watch This Ugly Yet Beautiful World, or Suzuka, for example.
Thanks eggplant. Had a feeling it was something like that. I admit I was amused to see the producers switch their censoring techniques in ep. 6. I don't think anyone was fooled, I've never seen steam hold so perfectly to the significant regions of the human form.
I think they're adding in a couple extra stories and moving things around, but otherwise follows the manga. I don't know if I missed the Valentine chapter, or was it an anime creation. Either way, well done. As vexx said, must obey the cute.
Seiryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-22, 21:10   Link #97
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Apparently you haven't been watching the same comedies I have. Anime or manga, pretty much any ecchi romance comedy has the obligatory drunk exhibitionist. Just watch This Ugly Yet Beautiful World, or Suzuka, for example.
Thanks eggplant. Had a feeling it was something like that. I admit I was amused to see the producers switch their censoring techniques in ep. 6. I don't think anyone was fooled, I've never seen steam hold so perfectly to the significant regions of the human form.
I think they're adding in a couple extra stories and moving things around, but otherwise follows the manga. I don't know if I missed the Valentine chapter, or was it an anime creation. Either way, well done. As vexx said, must obey the cute.
hmmm, I guess I wasn't being very clear. Almost *all* of these shows have an obligatory next-door drunken chick (Love Hina, Maisson, Mahoraba, Suzuka, blah blah blah) but I've not seen one other than this one where she comes in, sits down, and offers to take her shirt off (and apparently *does* take her shirt off in the DVD). In Suzuka, I didn't recall that one stripping on purpose just so he could watch (but maybe my memory is foggy).
Old 2006-08-22, 21:20   Link #98
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
I still have it in my tentative channel ... what I see on the screen and in the script is pretty innocent (mostly Big Brother spends a lot of time embarrassed). But whereas I just see Choko as moe-cute .... I'm getting a rather unclean feeling from some of the other patrons of the theater.
Man, where were you when I was watching Ichigo Mashimaro on fansubs? Talk about an unclean feeling from some of the other patrons.
Anyway, I wasn't really trying to say the show's a masterpiece - I just find it amusing in a More-Innocent-Chobits-kind-of-way.
Quote:
In Suzuka, I didn't recall that one stripping on purpose just so he could watch (but maybe my memory is foggy).
Well, she was drunk - but she did strip on purpose. She was complaining about him staring at her bust as I recall. That was the moment when I fell in love with Suzuka - almost the exact same thing happened to me in college - only we were making out twenty minutes later. And I wasn't actually staring at her bust when she was complaining about it (I don't think Yamato was either, but I can't remember, so I thought I'd get that down on the record ).
Old 2006-08-22, 22:07   Link #99
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

<rofl> I'm just now seeing Ichigo Mashimaro via DVD releases. Its great but outside of Big Sis, they're just cute - period.

The Chobits comparison is pretty good --- a lot of innocence being hurled around and most of the other is wishful thinking or "bad guys" who receive justice.
I can't say the exact same thing happened to me but that did jog a memory ... though it wasn't confrontational as such - we were just quietly studying organic chemistry (midterms incoming) and suddenly she said "I need a break" or just "aieee" (??) - the shirt went up and much frolicking ensued. I think the next thing actually said was something about some evil carbon chain problem. I wrote it off as a "wartime craziness" sort of thing since we went right back to being "just" friends.

I wish more anime was set in college
Old 2006-08-23, 07:28   Link #100
Rin-Sama
Banned

OH THANK GOD! They didn't put the old woman in the bath scene. rather a sexy young woman!

damnit! youtube doesn't wave beyond episode 3! when is episode 4 going to be loaded on!

Tags
comedy, drama, ecchi, nomad, romance, seinen, slice of life