AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2003-11-18, 23:31   Link #81
Relentless
Certifiably insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anlushac11
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Quote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Relentless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-19, 00:02   Link #82
K_R
also known as K!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relentless
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
K_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-19, 00:13   Link #83
Relentless
Certifiably insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocariSweat
Ok, so one guy decided to do it all on his lonesome - does that make it any less exploitative? It's a show where you wind up hating almost everybody - I can only hope the kids turn on their "benefactors" one of these days.

I know the show wants to make Henrietta's "handler" out to be a nice guy, but phooey I say. Despite playing up his regrets and the kindness he tries to show Henrietta, he's still as much of a bastard as the rest for using the girls to begin with. Making him out to be a good guy is kind of like being the "kind hearted serial rapist" - it just doesn't work.
I agree it's disturbing that young girls are used as killers in GSG, but maybe there's a reason and not pure shock value for marketing purposes. Maybe the author is trying to make a point. What point? With only four episodes, it's too early to tell, but so far, this series is not exploitative; it's a serious, tragic, dramatic story. Is it legitimate to use young girls? We might get into an endless debate about the use of violence in popular entertainment. So far, it has not advocated or condoned violence either commited against children or performed by children. The girls have suffered from violence yet they deal out even more violence, but the series doesn't shirk from acknowledging there's a terrible price to pay. It has not played the "violence/ destruction/ revenge/ murder=cool" angle like in mere action flicks. They use the children to stress the message, like in "Now and then here and there" and not because the audience should get a kick out of it.

I also think *all* the creeps who work in that corporation should be gassed, but you can't deny that Jose and Hilsher sincerely care for Henrietta and Triela. It raises an interesting point: are Jose and Hilsher better than Jan because they're nice to their charges? All of them order their "sisters" to commit terrible acts. Maybe Jan is the less hypocrit of all, treating Rico like a tool, which is the way the other two end up using the girls, teddy bears and stargazing notwithstanding.
Old 2003-11-19, 00:26   Link #84
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_R
Spoiler:
Well the truth is their is more evidence to say Treila is not Marios daughter then that she is. So lets leave it at that. They never really indicated that she is or not, everything we say is just pure speculation, no one knows, but maybe well find out later into the series whether he was actually her father or not.
Old 2003-11-19, 01:09   Link #85
Relentless
Certifiably insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_R
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_R
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Old 2003-11-19, 02:01   Link #86
K_R
also known as K!

Am I the only one who finds this page particularly funny, the majority of it being in spoiler tags.

Spoiler:

Jan doesn't treat Rico as a tool. He treats her like a punching bag for his displaced anger.
K_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-19, 02:26   Link #87
PocariSweat
ポカリが?どんな動物ですか?

[quote] Now, Triela doesn't look older than 13 to me, which could place her outside the age of the girls being smuggled and I don't see why smuggling 6-yr old girls is useful. [\quote]

Aside from what others have said, don't forget this is a show where a child of that age can be turned into the ultimate killing machine. I kind of took the smuggling as a sign that, properly conditioned, children may be useful "tools" for all kinds of nasty things.

As for Mario's musume I think that idea's a bit daft. On one side you have the likelyhood that he just wanted to give a gift to the girl that helped him *as well* as his daughter. On the other, you'd have to believe he went through all that to deliver a present to someone who was right beside him the whole time! Not to mention all the other logical problems with that. After all, even before they met he was trying to get to his daughter (it's the whole reason he was on the loose) so how could he possibly only discover her identity after that? Remember he wanted to spend Christmas with his daughter (and not just give her a gift) because he had promised her. He obviously was not a stranger to her.
PocariSweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-19, 02:44   Link #88
Go-lytely

Yeah, its pretty obvious that Triela is not Mario's daughter. The evidence is all there against it, but there will always be one or two people who will argue otherwise. Those people are deluded conspiracy theorists.
Go-lytely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-19, 02:51   Link #89
Anlushac11

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_R
Am I the only one who finds this page particularly funny, the majority of it being in spoiler tags.

Spoiler:

Jan doesn't treat Rico as a tool. He treats her like a punching bag for his displaced anger.
And thats why I think Rico will self destruct. She is treated as a tool and without any consideration or regard for her feelings. And I think Jan thinks Rico is considered disposable. She is a tool that when she wears out or breaks down and used up she will be disposed of like so much garbage.

Triela and especially Henrietta seem to be treated as people and not machines. I think this will be important in the long run.
Anlushac11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-19, 02:58   Link #90
Xiandu
Destroyer of the God Deus

Send a message via AIM to Xiandu
Yeah i agree that the facts are very much in favor of Triela not being Mario's Daughter. The possibility of her being his daughter just seems to round about and not straight on. The rest of the show has been pretty straight foward. To say that she is daughter, you have to come up with some elaborate scheme of things just like (no offense) the person stated above. This is Gunslinger Girl not a John Grisam work. Not to pick on you but c'mon the facts are totally obvious.
Xiandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-19, 07:11   Link #91
Gabriel710
Angel Of Death

Well call me a deluded conpiracy theorist but im stil sticking with it. Unless I see it in the manga that clearly state to me that he is not the father then im still a deluded conspiracy theorists.

Now thats out of the way. I agree with the poster who said that Rico might self destruct. Im also thinking that John might be the first brother to die out of the brother of the five girls that were shown.

Damn I wished I found out about the Manga sooner.

Last edited by Gabriel710; 2003-11-19 at 07:24.
Gabriel710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-19, 17:05   Link #92
skylion

Tragedy...

I think if you look at the series as something akin to a Shakespearian Tragedy, you can get some perspective, even only four eps in.
I think Jose is our tragic hero. He has a deep flaw that brings alot of his basic character too light. That flaw, which I think is his unwavering loyalty, is also his strongest quality. It both serves and abuses that which he holds most dearest. Henrietta. I have to go out on a limb and state what I believe in. Would it have been better to leave her as he found her. Broken and suicidal. If the only other option was too make her an assassin, then yes. He took something that was broken and made it into something that the corporation sees as a resource. The little girl still wants to grow up. Look at the tagline for the series.
Well, I just realized that I am preaching again. So I am going to shut up.
skylion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-19, 17:45   Link #93
Relentless
Certifiably insane

About the Triela/Mario discussion, I'll only add this: the idea of them being related never crossed my mind. It was pretty clear, at least for me.

About the spoiler, maybe we should do like they do with other series: we have this thread with spoiler tags for general GSG discussion and we open a new thread when a new episode is available to talk about it and spoiler tags won't be necessary.

Quote:
And thats why I think Rico will self destruct. She is treated as a tool and without any consideration or regard for her feelings. And I think Jan thinks Rico is considered disposable. She is a tool that when she wears out or breaks down and used up she will be disposed of like so much garbage.

Triela and especially Henrietta seem to be treated as people and not machines. I think this will be important in the long run.
On the contrary, Triela and Henrietta are the most likely to suicide, go berserk or try to escape. From one side (the Corp.), they're in constant contact with death and violence, from the other side (their brothers), they experience kindness and even love. The jarring contrast might make them go nuts at some point.

Spoiler:

Rico has a harsh and unforgiving relation with her only human contact. She's still a sweet child and gets along well with her little girlfriends, but when the chips are down, there's no doubt whose side she will be. I see here the seeds for a future conflict that will be even more heartwrenching than anything we have seen so far. We still have to learn about Claes and Angelica, hopefully in the following episodes, and the possible road might appear more clearly.

On the long run, Rico will become completely dehumanized, and from the Corp. and Jan's viewpoint, a more effective weapon. Of course, I could also argue that Jose and Hilsher care more for their sister and might try to save them from the more dangeorus missions. Jan, being the uncaring jerk he's, probably won't care and might need "replacements" more often (the jerk!)
Old 2003-11-19, 19:07   Link #94
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

I find this whole show quite distrubing as I do with Noir. But this show is 10X more distrubing because of what they actually put these young girls through, it makes you think what the hell the writers/directors were thinking. But nontheless I find this show very interesting almost like watching Narutaru again.
Old 2003-11-19, 19:17   Link #95
PocariSweat
ポカリが?どんな動物ですか?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keitarou20
But nontheless I find this show very interesting almost like watching Narutaru again.
Funny now that you mention it - Narutaru was similarly compelling yet sometimes very disturbing too. I wonder if after the "Summer of ecchi" maybe we're having the "Fall of child abuse"?
Old 2003-11-19, 21:43   Link #96
Xiandu

I very much like this show and that got me thinking about the comments on narutaru, i have never seen that show. What's it about and is it any good? Should i download it.
Old 2003-11-19, 22:16   Link #97
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiandu
I very much like this show and that got me thinking about the comments on narutaru, i have never seen that show. What's it about and is it any good? Should i download it.
Yeah go ahead and download it but I warn you, you might have some nightmares. J/k but seriously it really deals with children doing things that they shouldn't be doing or going through, much like GSG and Noir. Watching GSG reminds me of Narutaru for some reason I guess its the child abuse issue. Check out animenfo for more info.

lol a fall of child abuse, Not yet were still in the season of ecchi I think. Still alot more ecchi series coming out.
Old 2003-11-19, 22:38   Link #98
Relentless
Certifiably insane

happy happy! joy joy!

According to the official site, episode 5 did aired on 19th, and episode 6 is scheduled on 26th!! Hopefully we'll get back to a regular broadcasting every Wednesday!!
Old 2003-11-20, 00:18   Link #99
PocariSweat
ポカリが?どんな動物ですか?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiandu
Just to add a twist to what Keitarou20 said about it: don't be fooled by the first episode - it's not at all what it seems at first. By ep 2 you start to get a taste of what's to come, but it gets much darker as it goes on. On the bad side of things, the anime ends in the middle of the story told in the manga, and unfortunately it's probably unlikely there'll be another season.
Old 2003-11-20, 01:27   Link #100
Xiandu

Ok thanks. Think i will download it after i redownload shingetsutan tsukihime and download the berserk manga scanlations.

Tags
action, drama, sci-fi, seinen