AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Angel Beats!

Notices

View Poll Results: Angel Beats! - Episode 5 Rating
Perfect 10 93 45.81%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 58 28.57%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 36 17.73%
7 out of 10 : Good 12 5.91%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 0.49%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.49%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 0.99%
Voters: 203. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-05-05, 06:06   Link #361
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

Just a slight error: it's KANADE, guys.
Old 2010-05-05, 06:18   Link #362
Jarmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Firstly Yuri described that Kanade have a strange power, possily in par or second to God. Then Hinata said, "something like an Angel"? So they fit the description of Angel into what they are seeing from Kanade. If they walk into Kanade's room, they probably would say "oh wait, so this is how Tenshi live" or something....

We still call her Tenshi and expected she would have the secret of this world, don't we? I means we see some trait of an angel from her (in the opening), and she is the only one who seems to know more than the "NPCs" and still hasn't shared her experiences yet?

PS: What kind of philosophical debate you want them to get into? We are basically doing what the SSS could do even with plenty more information. And we still hit the wall and do not know any thing unless Kanade share out her experience.
Right that's the problem. They're looking for connections to God and trying to find evidence that supports their thesis instead of calculating in all of the evidence. However when the characters see the room, we don't even see anybody mention how peculiar the room is for angels. Nobody mentions how human the room looks only that it is somewhat disappointing.

To be honest, I have no clue. She could be an angel or the realm could be something else entirely. However that's speculation and that is separate in of itself.

Maybe not so much a philosophical debate but somebody trying to think things through and find common links like how did they all die or what religion was everybody before they died. Something to show that they're trying to figure out what their existence means or why this is all happening.
Old 2010-05-05, 06:37   Link #363
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarmel View Post
Right that's the problem. They're looking for connections to God and trying to find evidence that supports their thesis instead of calculating in all of the evidence.
And one of the reasons why I hope there is no god in the end, I'm quite curious how the drama will unfold should that realization hit home on the SSS.
Old 2010-05-05, 11:26   Link #364
New/Old
Old to the New

Quote:
However when the characters see the room, we don't even see anybody mention how peculiar the room is for angels. Nobody mentions how human the room looks only that it is somewhat disappointing.
My memory may be off, but was that not Otonashi's role? You know, objecting about invading a girl's privacy to the point of being held at knife point.
Old 2010-05-05, 11:36   Link #365
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velsy View Post
They have been stealing tickets since whos noes when. Ever since Operation Tornado has been in effect. The fact that Tenshi just lost her ticket that one time and everyones now jumping up and down over it. Go figure. Oh she didnt get what she wanted to eat. poor diddles, lets all make a fuss over this and start throwing insults at the SSS crew.

And get this ...... They didnt intentionally target one person!, or expect Tenshi to be there!! how many students do you see ? how many tickets go floating in the air ? All they predicted is that Tenshi still may show to stop them, which turned out false. Otonashi ordered a hold fire. They didn't even attack her.

I said what I've needed too.
1.Obviously you missed the irony of the situation

2.Have always been critical of the SSS actions so NO its not out the ordinary. Until its proven that what they are doing is not futile and at best just playing militia i will continue to play devils advocate.
Old 2010-05-05, 11:38   Link #366
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Well Yuri complained that she expect Tenshi's room to be bigger with a nicer bedsheets, and Hinata wondered why it's just like room in boy dorm but neater.

No one knows how an Angel live anyway. They don't even know if an Angel need a private place like a room. If that's how her room looks like, then that's how an Angel live. She may as well sleep on the rooftop and it would only be strange because the School President does not have a place to store her paperwork.

But if we have one more self-claimed "Angel" and this guy lives in something like a palace. Then i bet everyone from the SSS will say he's a fake

Last edited by risingstar3110; 2010-05-05 at 12:06.
Old 2010-05-05, 11:42   Link #367
New/Old
Old to the New

Quote:
Well Yuri complained that she expect it to be bigger with a nicer bedsheets, and Hinata wondered why it's just like room in boy dorm but neater.

But no one knows how an Angel live anyway. They don't even know if an Angel need a private place like a room. If she 's an Angel, she may as well sleep on the rooftop or and it would only be strange because the School President does not have a place to store her paperwork.

But if we have one more self-claimed "Angel" and this guy lives in something like a palace. Then i bet everyone will say he's a fake
From what I remember, Otonashi made a bit of a complaint that the room just looked like an ordinary person's room. Also, we have no "self-claimed" angels. No one in the series has claimed to be an angel. We just have someone who's called it and denies being it.
Old 2010-05-05, 11:42   Link #368
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Well Yuri complained that she expect Tenshi's room to be bigger with a nicer bedsheets, and Hinata wondered why it's just like room in boy dorm but neater.

No one knows how an Angel live anyway. They don't even know if an Angel need a private place like a room. If that's how her room looks like, then that's how an Angel live. She may as well sleep on the rooftop or and it would only be strange because the School President does not have a place to store her paperwork.

But if we have one more self-claimed "Angel" and this guy lives in something like a palace. Then i bet everyone from the SSS will say he's a fake
LOL do angles need a place of residence? thats funny and possible worth pondering just for sheer amusement.
Old 2010-05-05, 11:49   Link #369
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
LOL do angles need a place of residence? thats funny and possible worth pondering just for sheer amusement.
Argument is moot: we are dealing with dead people, and in your usual stories, souls don't need to eat or sleep, but it is the case in AB.
Therefore, you can discard the usual expectation that an angel is something that doesn't need anything for daily basis.

The fact they don't literally take her as a "angel" is another point to consider as well.
Old 2010-05-05, 12:04   Link #370
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Argument is moot: we are dealing with dead people, and in your usual stories, souls don't need to eat or sleep, but it is the case in AB.
Therefore, you can discard the usual expectation that an angel is something that doesn't need anything for daily basis.

The fact they don't literally take her as a "angel" is another point to consider as well.
was not really a question nor an argument. What i find i amusing is we all know those facts i mean why would a dead person have to eat, sleep or drink really no reason for it. But in AB it feels more like the world of the living because these ghost or souls carry out daily routines like you and I do. But i believe risingstar3110 was making a joke in half passing its still humorous anyway you look at it. None of us could identify with what its like to live in the world of the dead because we are living. But because of the way AB presents itself it helps at least me get more into the world that the characters reside in because of their daily activities.
Old 2010-05-05, 12:07   Link #371
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
i forgot if anyone had bought this up but Riverworld anyone?
Old 2010-05-05, 12:19   Link #372
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
i forgot if anyone had bought this up but Riverworld anyone?
Oh i hadn't considered that watched on Syfy almost a year ago. Thats a pretty good example.

If anyone has not seen Riverworld heres a quick synop

http://www.syfy.com/riverworld/

Last edited by Sinestra; 2010-05-05 at 12:20. Reason: forgot the link
Old 2010-05-05, 13:09   Link #373
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Being the Touhou fan that I am, the first thing that popped into my head when seeing this world was "Huh, just like the netherworld then."
Old 2010-05-05, 14:26   Link #374
Jarmel

Quote:

That's is a major problem I have with the writing right now. Nobody is wondering why that is the case. Being hungry implies that you need more food for survival yet the fact that they are immortal would negate that fact. Nobody in the series thinks this is peculiar. Why would they discard the usual expectations of an angel when they associate that term to Kaname on the basis of her having supernatural powers?

Yes they are literally taking her to be angel, a person who has some direct link to God or whoever is controlling this world. That was the whole deal with Yurripe thinking Kaname got her powers from from God.

@New/Old
Yes Otonashi is the only one who is actually noting and taking into account these things without any particular bias. I can't remember the literary term but it's the usual "new guy notes problems with a continuing strategy".
Old 2010-05-05, 14:39   Link #375
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
That's is a major problem I have with the writing right now. Nobody is wondering why that is the case. Being hungry implies that you need more food for survival yet the fact that they are immortal would negate that fact. Nobody in the series thinks this is peculiar. Why would they discard the usual expectations of an angel when they associate that term to Kaname on the basis of her having supernatural powers?
To which I once again answer: How many angels have you met in your life?

So yes, they do discard the usual expectations of an angel needing food, just as they discarded the usual idea of heaven and clouds when they woke up in the afterlife. Heck, Yuri at first didn't even take her to be an angel, just someone with powers that might be a link to god.
Old 2010-05-05, 16:25   Link #376
Jarmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
To which I once again answer: How many angels have you met in your life?

So yes, they do discard the usual expectations of an angel needing food, just as they discarded the usual idea of heaven and clouds when they woke up in the afterlife. Heck, Yuri at first didn't even take her to be an angel, just someone with powers that might be a link to god.
They're being selective with term, applying parts of the definition that fits their needs while ignoring the others. Here is a bunch of descriptions of angels:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christi...elic_hierarchy

It's a little hard to imagine any of these guys having to take a dump or even having a regular dorm room. Also supposedly angels don't sleep or eat as they are technically spiritual beings(it's literally supposed to be in the Bible somewhere but I'm having problems finding the exact quote). So Kaname if she is an angel definitely doesn't fit the traditional definition.

Edit: Here is a better article with some direct quotes describing angels.

http://christianity.about.com/od/wha...elsbible_2.htm
Old 2010-05-05, 16:31   Link #377
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

You are still missing the point: why do people have to focalize on the mass media brand definition of a term? It isn't like you have to stick with the purest definition of a term to label something.
Heck, there are figures of speech and whatnot. Furthermore, you are asking something too much from a setup regarding -japanese- high schoolers... you know, the very same ethnic group that can picture americans like bunch of blonde muscle yankee, as much as some americans can only picture asians as computer nerds.
I'm using an exaggerated example, but things cannot be taken as their fullest definition, when it is all about what people consider with it.
Remember that Angel is a notion that belongs to the western public. By no mean asian culture has a "deep" concept remotely similar to usual christian (or whatever other religion) use for them. Heck, it is often trivialized as "agent of god", nothing more.

And you are starting to be extremely picky for nothing: the setup shows bunch of dead people stuck in a high school environnement, with a nonsensical need to fulfill a high school life until they ascend. They even eat and sleep... so let me ask you something: why would they get surprised that a spiritual being would fulfill the same kind of little fancy need, while they are plain souls that should "theorically" need no food or rest?
If the said entity has to monitor stuff there, would it be a bit more "logical" that the said entity doesn't stand out, unless necessary? (I mean, when kanade isn't taking action with Guard Skills, she could act like any student, in order not to stand out, albeit very discreete and... "mute").

And for the last time: they believed that Kanade had a tie with God, and the usual "entity" that has such tie is an angel, that doesn't mean they considered Kanade literally as an Angel.
Seriously, the whole discussion is meaningless and could pretty well never emerge if say... they decided to call Kanade "kitsune" instead of "tenshi" (you know, the "little" fox under Inari's commands): the concept would be the "same" (yes i'm overgeneralizing, please bear with me), but funnily enough, the discussion here would totally not kick off.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2010-05-05 at 16:42.
Old 2010-05-05, 16:43   Link #378
Jarmel

Quote:
You are still missing the point: why do people have to focalize on the mass media brand definition of a term? It isn't like you have to stick with the purest definition of a term to label something.
Heck, there are figures of speech and whatnot. Furthermore, you are asking something too much from a setup regarding -japanese- high schoolers... you know, the very same ethnic group that can picture americans like bunch of blonde muscle yankee, as much as some americans can only picture asians as computer nerds.
I'm using an exaggerated example, but things cannot be taken as their fullest definition, when it is all about what people consider with it.

And you are starting to be extremely picky for nothing: the setup shows bunch of dead people stuck in a high school environnement, with a nonsensical need to fulfill a high school life until they ascend. They even eat and sleep... so let me ask you something: why would they get surprised that a spiritual being would fulfill the same kind of little fancy need, while they are plain souls that should "theorically" need no food or rest?

And for the last time: they believed that Kanade had a tie with God, and the usual "entity" that has such tie is an angel, that doesn't mean they considered Kanade literally as an Angel.
I'm fully aware that I'm overanalyzing this but I just wanted to point out some of the flaws in the writing(it's a hobby of mine).

The main reason I brought up the traditional definition is because I'm trying to establish what would be common sense for the characters and what would be natural assumptions as well as conclusions. Would a person who entered Tenshi's room or watched her on a daily basis be surprised at how human she behaves? Especially over an extremely long time period? Would a person who is a spiritual being (and know they are) not act surprised over the need of sleep and food?

You're also assuming that they're in heaven or some supernatural dimension. It's still quite possible that this could turn out to be something else completely.

They are assuming that she got her powers directly or indirectly from God,so they would be assuming she's an Angel(most likely a warrior angel at that) whether they used the term or not.
Old 2010-05-05, 16:54   Link #379
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
I'm fully aware that I'm overanalyzing this but I just wanted to point out some of the flaws in the writing(it's a hobby of mine).
Putting flaws regarding small details that are arguably taken out of context is really not a fair hobby, especially considering we are talking about an anime series.
Quote:
The main reason I brought up the traditional definition is because I'm trying to establish what would be common sense for the characters and what would be natural assumptions as well as conclusions.
You are using common sense based on a position of a third party totally unrelated. I wonder if you consider the context at hand, especially that you are involving a complete different culture.
Again, if you ask "what" is an angel for asians, they would generally picture them as "agent of god, generally with wings and guiding/keeping order among the souls in the realm of god", something along the lines. It isn't like you can expect adults to have the complete definition of a concept used in a foreign culture, let alone -kids-. I might overgeneralize a bit here, but so far, I rarely saw anything remotely "fitting" to the true definition/description in our culture.
Quote:
Would a person who entered Tenshi's room or watched her on a daily basis be surprised at how human she behaves? Especially over an extremely long time period? Would a person who is a spiritual being (and know they are) not act surprised over the need of sleep and food?
I'm sorry, but the "how human" is really relative, and we had insight that SSS could obviously not witness. I mean, I sure would rather call someone like Kanade a "machine" when they are moving in the same fashion and automatically shift between hostile/normal mode under specific conditions. That would be the "natural" conclusion, save few characterization that only us viewers could have.
Furthermore, who said they weren't surprised of their need of eating and sleeping? Otonashi surely was, and we don't know how the rest of the SSS reacted, since they were established in the afterlife for much longer than him. This point is rather moot.

Quote:
You're also assuming that they're in heaven or some supernatural dimension. It's still quite possible that this could turn out to be something else completely.
And mind telling what kind of other possibility it is? For all it is worth, the "matrix" thing is totally whacky, because it doesn't make sense to "unplug" people when they are in state of settling their regrets and so forth. Heck, if it was the sole objective, that would simply require the "engineer" behind it to forcefully unplug SSS if they are a problem.
De facto, the whole concept doesn't hold the water since people do remember of their death, so they obviously know right from the get go it is a fake world... so what's the purpose of such world? To "plug them in", when they are obviously not conditionned as if they were still alive? And it doesn't make sense for people behind such scheme to possibly chase after brain dead people who have regrets only (quite convenient to boot).
The only other possibility is a dream, and I certainly can't swallow the idea that someone would have an imagination of such magnitude to include people's background and so forth.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2010-05-05 at 18:46. Reason: typos
Old 2010-05-05, 18:33   Link #380
madmanz

OMG poor poor angel...
i feel liek crying shes alone!!!!!
and ehr ticket for the food!
nooOOOoo!

her ticket flew moff!!!!!!!

nooooooo

im so sad!
Closed Thread