AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Gurren-Lagann

Notices

Old 2007-03-25, 10:02   Link #41
7Th
Mixtape

Hey, the opening looked great! Not really my kind of music, but the direction was as stylish and aggressive as one would expect from Imaishi. The new scenes at the end also looked excellent and solidified my high hopes for this. Everyone who doubts the animation powers of Imaishi should watch the new teaser! Not only for the introduction video but also for the new scenes from the premier! Everything looked really kinetic and well done, with an amazing scene composition and some extremely fun and fluid exaggerated violence. My bet is this is the most entretaining anime this season, so 7 days, indeed! But don’t listen to me; most people didn’t even enjoyed Dead Leaves.

Last edited by 7Th; 2007-03-25 at 14:49.
7Th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-25, 20:10   Link #42
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Am I the only one who got Ninku vibes from this? Granted, it's not wholely similar, but it felt to me like an Imaishi-fied Ninku with mecha, without a Urameshi and Griffith rip-off. There's even the token pet and the green wind power, only this time it's not ninja power, but drill power.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-25, 22:46   Link #43
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Two words "Mega Man". For most of the video all I heard was a really annoying woman who sounded like she was selling stuff at a booth and thanking the customers for their patronage. I could barely here the opening but it sounds like they have a guitar in it, which is definetely not the usual style of this sugar pop idol. Things are looking up for this show after the shocker of who the opening song would be done by. I think almost everybody had expected something like the JAM PROJECT.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-25, 23:00   Link #44
ZODDGUTS

I'm looking forward to this I'm liking the character designs and they style that the previews have been showing. One week left till it airs!
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-27, 17:24   Link #45
7Th
Mixtape

Hey, check out the high quality trailer and CM in Omni's Spring Season preview torrent(http://randomc.animeblogger.net/2007...2007-preview/), I am uploading them now with Seirei no Moribito good quality preview while I watch Hidden Fortress, the series indeed looks much better outside You Tube and brings a whole new level of appreciation towards the animation to see how carefully crafted are each of the scenes. Hell, I bet it is impossible to find any uninspired frame for caption in them, something most other series this season, but Dennou Coil, aren't even able to avoid in their promotional shots. Really, try pausing it randomly and you'll get excellent stills that actually represent quite well their movement.

Also before anyone says "LOL, first episode" I find it fairly impossible for them to show us the confrontation with Lagann in the premier since it will already present the setting, Gurenn and the three main characters

Last edited by 7Th; 2007-03-27 at 17:37.
Old 2007-03-27, 17:35   Link #46
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Image from Newtype Romance

Yummy.
Old 2007-03-27, 17:38   Link #47
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Image from Newtype Romance

Yummy.
"Balls-to-the-wall guy oriented drama", indeed. Not like anyone was expecting different with a "gattai" mech piloted by two men and one being "top" while the other is "bottom".
Old 2007-04-01, 00:58   Link #48
aroduc
Ruiner of Things

OP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggYtk2o8TXw

Friend's impressions & a ton of screencaps.
http://www.seiha.org/blog/?p=29

My impression... quality first ep, though the style got in the way more than once. The OP and ED are damn irritating though. I wanted more action though and hopefully the later eps will deliver it now that he has his kinda creepy disembodied robot head.
aroduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-01, 01:13   Link #49
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroduc View Post
OP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggYtk2o8TXw

Friend's impressions & a ton of screencaps.
http://www.seiha.org/blog/?p=29

My impression... quality first ep, though the style got in the way more than once. The OP and ED are damn irritating though. I wanted more action though and hopefully the later eps will deliver it now that he has his kinda creepy disembodied robot head.
Would be disappointed if that wasn't the case. My internet is damn slow tonight and It's still in 50% after 2 hours.
Old 2007-04-01, 01:16   Link #50
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

I have watched and listened to the opening. Who performs the song for the opening theme?
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-01, 01:19   Link #51
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido View Post
I have watched and listened to the opening. Who performs the song for the opening theme?
Shoko Nakawa.
Old 2007-04-01, 01:20   Link #52
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

There's no way I can give an impression on any new anime (( goddamn, Seirei is still at 49.9% after one whole night )) since the internet here hates me at this moment, but still...

I'm probably gonna get shot for saying this, but the way the OP sounded from the horrible TAF cam-video's audio actually sounded better than the actual playing song in good quality. Well, to me anyway. The OP from the TAF camera shot had a lower catch on the higher pitch voice of the singer and it made it sounded lower on the key-tones, feeling more rock-like, and strangely more appropriate. But the actual OP in better quality (( well, Youtube quality )) had the singer's higher pitch clearly apparent, and it's kind of spoiling my previous impression of the OP song. It's not a bad song, it's just that I feel it's better off had the pitch been so obvious.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-01, 01:22   Link #53
aardvark

It was a good first episode.

Animation was as stylised as I expected and the storyboarding and direction were 100% pure Imaishi gold, very over the top and overall the whole thing was pretty fun! Definitely did lean to a younger crowd as expected though since it's a saturday morning show, but Gainax still managed to fit in as much fanservice as they possibly could, as per usual. Also I have to mention the BGM was REALLY good imo. Wasn't disappointed, so hopefullly the quality can hold up through 26 episodes!

Though episode 2 next week is a Shouji Saeki episode, I don't really see him in a pretty good light at all, but we'll see how he delivers next episode.

And yeah, the OP song is pretty much something you've heard in hundreds of other anime over the years, nothing special. The ED is ok. The band sort of sounds something like a Japanese The Strokes or any of those other similar bands...

Last edited by aardvark; 2007-04-01 at 01:32.
aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-01, 02:20   Link #54
7Th
Mixtape

Wow. I am already in love with the series, but I expected to be since I'm a Imaishi fanboy and I guess my opinion is extremely biased. It is, however, without any doubt the most entertaining and exciting television anime I've seen in a very long time. The animation really deserves a longer post which I'll probably do after a good night of sleep, the motion management and art direction were simply amazing, also playing a good deal in the excellent storytelling. The dynamic camera work and super-stylized illustrations contributed a great deal to the "dramatic", not at all, developments and the amazing hotblooded emotional, again not seriously, showcase which together created the most fun and adventurous action scene since the Kemonozume monkey battles. And aardvark is pretty much on the spot, background music is fairly good, I particularly liked the tune played when they finally exit the outer world, quite epic. Really, outside of the popish intro song which I wasn't expecting to like to begin with, I think this will be impossible to beat as the best premier of the year by a production not named Dennou Coil. Expect extended hyperbolic reflections tomorrow when I wake up.

On a side note, for some reason I find pretty fun than my most hyped and expected releases are aimed for children.

Last edited by 7Th; 2007-04-01 at 10:53.
Old 2007-04-01, 03:07   Link #55
Omniscient

More Episode 01 Screencaps

Spoiler:
Omniscient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-01, 04:11   Link #56
mouhitori

Watched the first episode and I also think this is a fun and fairly entertaining start for the series. More thoughts

Spoiler:
mouhitori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-01, 06:38   Link #57
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Finally, the first episode explodes onto our screens and delivers everything I wanted from it. Yet, incredibly, (like Seirei no Moribito) exceeds my expectations and leaves me with a big stupid fanboy smile on my face.

Spoiler for ep1 thoughts and some screens:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouhitori View Post
Spoiler:
I thought that too, Lagann is amazingly cute (chibi mecha ftw) and I love the way the top of the cockpit is like a brain.

Last edited by Sonhex; 2007-04-01 at 10:28.
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-01, 10:18   Link #58
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

I have to admit it, I wasn't expecting this show to be this fun, or atleast this first episode was really fun to watch. It felt exactly like any of the episodes of Diebuster: thirty minutes of fast-paced animation, nice visuals and cool characters. I guess Gurren-Lagann will be my "guilty pleasure" of this season.

As for the characters, I really don't have any preference so far, they were all rather fun in their own way (and Kamina felt like one of those "old school" anime badass type of characters). And damn you Gainax for making a character like Yoko (voiced by a really talented Marina Inoue), I fear I might become a fanboy after a couple of episodes of this.
Shinndou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-01, 10:24   Link #59
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Haven't seen the episode myself yet, though i did check out the OP and loved it to pieces. Can't wait to see this one in action later tonight.
Old 2007-04-01, 10:51   Link #60
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
The first episode was exactly as I expected: fun, well-animated and very childish.

The shounen pathos and bombast was done superbly, but this is not my cup of tea. I don't expect to be following it too closely, although, having learned the lesson of Code Geass, I won't be abandoning it out of hand either.

I'll see how it develops at arm's length.
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote