AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 05
10: Amazing... 3 5.17%
9 out of 10: Excellent... 6 10.34%
8 out of 10: Very Good... 9 15.52%
7 out of 10: Good... 17 29.31%
6 out of 10: Average... 12 20.69%
5 out of 10: Below Average... 7 12.07%
4 out of 10: Poor... 1 1.72%
3 out of 10: Bad... 2 3.45%
2 out of 10: Very Bad... 1 1.72%
1 out of 10: Torturous... 0 0%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-11-06, 19:31   Link #61
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

I'm gonna admit that Emily is really annoying me. IMO, she has no right to get in the way of Flit's choice of piloting the Gundam. It is his choice, and he's made it perfectly clear that it is what he wants. But nope, blondie has to put HERSELF before everyone else and make it that Flit changing is the worse thing that can happen to her. Shut up Emily, just please shut up.
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-06, 19:43   Link #62
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by GN0010 Nosferatu View Post
I'm gonna admit that Emily is really annoying me. IMO, she has no right to get in the way of Flit's choice of piloting the Gundam. It is his choice, and he's made it perfectly clear that it is what he wants. But nope, blondie has to put HERSELF before everyone else and make it that Flit changing is the worse thing that can happen to her. Shut up Emily, just please shut up.
Now, now people Emily is just worried is all it's not like she's gone psycho stalker or anything she doesn't see Flint hurt or killed over his obsession thats all...

And while we're on the subject of Flint and his obsession...who wants to bet these Eden people may try and corrupt Flit by temping him with the power he's seeks?
Old 2011-11-06, 21:01   Link #63
Vena
Carpe Diem

I can't really understand why people hate Emily and/or find her annoying. She's the only child in this story that acts like a child should (Dique doesn't count as he is currently not *in* the story but somewhere on its fringes) and has some normal human emotions/thoughts. Is it so wrong for a young girl, who just had her colony/home destroyed by an enemy, to be worried about her best friend who is going crazy in chasing said enemy, and talking to himself about getting stronger? It seems fairly reasonable to me for her to be acting exactly as she's acting. Questioning Grodeck after noticing him acting suspicious? Why is this wrong? Sure, she confronted him as a child would but did any of us actually expect her to bust into his office, demand answers, and challenge him to a match of wits? She's not Ender, and this isn't Ender's Game.

I'm actually amazed and impressed by how *well* built the *older* characters are in this series. For the short time he was on screen, Bruzar left an impression and saved the colony citizens. Grudeck is cunning, calculating, intelligent, and capable, and has an interesting development going on right now. Woolf is a bro, and, once again, capable... and he's totally going to die.

So far, I find episodes NOT about Flit or the Gundam the most interesting. Maybe once Flit's character gains some more depth...
Vena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-06, 21:43   Link #64
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Hah, funny. Emily called them selfish, but she's the selfish one. But that's often what it boils down to. Sacrifice is always cool, unless it involves you or someone you know. Hopefully Emily will learn that Flit is doing something that has to be done.

This new guy was suspicous as hell, and Flit definitely wasn't wise to show him around. Perhaps his innocent looks fooled the trusting Flit, and man that's some terrible security. It seems really easy to steal a gundam.

Deisel, however, is definitely the most malicious acting person in the series. It seems he will be back, and the last thing he said to Flit is not very encouraging. He's not gonna come back with anything good the next to we see him. What exactly are his powers, and is he related to Yurin somehow?

I'll give this a 7. There's enough to get the ball rolling that our situation is a lot more darker with the rotten federation and all these strange kids with special abilities then the show lets on. Next time, don't let strangers near your Gundam!

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-06, 22:05   Link #65
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

I used to be in Emily's shoe, so I could say I understand the feeling that you think what's the best for your closed one, but others think I was just trying to interfere with her business, and being selfish.

I'm not saying who's right and who's wrong. I just think it's reasonable, and it really does take time for ones to change their way of thinking. Don't hate the girl yet, people.
Old 2011-11-06, 22:39   Link #66
GundamFan

I think you guys need to cut poor Emily some slack. Flit's isn't a trained solider or anything and from what we know it seems like the UE had been racking up a pretty good body count till they encountered the Gundam so it's natural she is concerned that something bad is going to happen.
GundamFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-06, 22:47   Link #67
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Seems to me that the reason why Emily's getting so much flak (besides not understanding her situation) is that she's a remarkably normal character. Which is never really liked when it comes to anime...
Old 2011-11-06, 22:56   Link #68
KNIGHTMAREGUNDAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Seems to me that the reason why Emily's getting so much flak (besides not understanding her situation) is that she's a remarkably normal character. Which is never really liked when it comes to anime...
Seems to be the case.

I said before that Emily is an average girl. In fact now that I think about it she is taking it with surprising strength. I'm amazed she lasted this long without crying and then we have her finally let it out in her room.

Best to ignore people that have a problem with a real robot show being a bit too real.
KNIGHTMAREGUNDAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-06, 23:37   Link #69
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
That and I don't think people remember what its like to be a kid and sadly probably more than a,few see her as nothing more than something to be shipped. Something similar came up in a chihayafuru episode actually where one character had a moment of weakness and did something nasty to another kid and some posters were all but calling for his head. It was something special to be sure.

I wonder if people would be more into Emily if she was some kind of Super Flying Sex Doll like Inori Yuzihara from Guilty Crown.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-06, 23:50   Link #70
aeriolewinters
Photomancy Experiments

Quote:
I wonder if people would be more into Emily if she was some kind of Super Flying Sex Doll like Inori Yuzihara from Guilty Crown.
This. Some people really are ignorant and never try to understand the story arc first before pure hatin'.
Old 2011-11-07, 00:00   Link #71
winter45

Guess this show needs a boring lacus clyne clone as a love interest just to shutup the current hate party.

Guess the normal dimension characters are hated for being just normal. Very lame attitude tbh
winter45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-07, 01:08   Link #72
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

^Well I guess the same person that hates this girl would hate someone like Sakura in Naruto...I hate Sakura in Naruto BTW ...Emily is giving me that crossover effect, but if I weren't very annoyed by her, I'd be a little annoyed by the Captains' actions toward getting her input on his plans...I found his obvious sabotaging and her right to question or threaten him based on that more annoying...

Emily is a good sneak, I'll give her that...
Old 2011-11-07, 01:21   Link #73
monster

I think it's because the way Gundam is. People know that whatever happens, Flit will be the pilot anyway. So while Emily's reaction may be realistic, the fact that it won't really matter makes her whining useless and just becomes a source for annoyance.

Still, I think it's a shame if people would hate on Emily for that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
^Well I guess the same person that hates this girl would hate someone like Sakura in Naruto
Similar, yet different. If Sakura was in Emily's place, she'd tried to be a pilot as well.
Quote:
Emily is a good sneak, I'll give her that...
Maybe not, after all, Grodek was expecting her.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-07, 01:27   Link #74
SonicSP
Sonic!I AM SONIC!!!!!

Send a message via MSN to SonicSP
While I find her very annoying in this episode in the way she acts and portrayed, I can't really say I don't understand her point of view. The UE is for all intents and purposes is dangerous and if she seems to be one of the two only people out there in the anime that seems to even want to lookout for Flit. She cares more about getting Flit away in one piece before he gets obsessed about fighting UE more. I don't think her comments about him looking like he's turned more and more into a soldier in the last episode to be that far off.

Even Flit's fighting the UE thing is quite new, I don't think he ever planned to literally fight them. He just made the Gundam as a weapon, is willing to give to to Drace on the first episode without so much as fuss and now he is adamant he does not want to give it to anyone. He wants to use it to protect everyone but I'm beginning to see that Woolf's comment that he "likes it" may be comign true. Flit even have the usual categorical denial shortly after Woolf said it.

Reminds me a bit of Setsuna's addicted to fighting problem I guess (it was mentioned to be his "food" in his Monologue), which he really never solved up until the end.

Not that all of us would upset that Flit turned to be more of a soldier, we would expect it as viewers of the show, but I guess from a more real grounded point of view, your more concerned about getting your loved one home in one piece than say risking him to death.

============

Regarding the episode, I find it quite boring, possibly the worst episode in all that has been showed so far. While I understand and sympathized Emily's point of view, I was still annoyed by her portrayal I guess, she's just annoying on this one. But inspite of some interesting bits and pieces, I just find it to be a bit boring compared to what we had last time. But I guess we weren't getting a new ace pilot or escaping from a colony arc so its not that unexpected. Hopefully, next week's to be better.
Old 2011-11-07, 01:38   Link #75
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Of course! I mean it would obviously make this series more mature. By making it have more juvenile appeal. Because umm... outfits like that would let you take the show more seriously.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-11-07, 01:41   Link #76
aeriolewinters
Photomancy Experiments

Quote:
Of course! I mean it would obviously make this series more mature. By making it have more juvenile appeal. Because umm... outfits like that would let you take the show more seriously.
And...And... Yeah, because pink haired caricatures being plot devices are better than an actual human being capable of being hurt and of other emotions. This kind of thinking makes me sick.
Old 2011-11-07, 01:45   Link #77
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeriolewinters View Post
And...And... Yeah, because pink haired caricatures being plot devices are better than an actual human being capable of being hurt and of other emotions.
People that act realistically are overrated. You know that.

But I understand why Emily's getting so much heat. It's just that the logical progression of the story mandates that she will be able to move past this point. She will get better, it just takes some time to make this kind of inner revelation to make sense. People need time to change their mindsets. IMO Age's writing is competent enough for me to place this faith in them.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-11-07, 01:50   Link #78
aeriolewinters
Photomancy Experiments

Quote:
But I understand why Emily's getting so much heat. It's just that the logical progression of the story mandates that she will be able to move past this point. She will get better, it just takes some time to make this kind of inner revelation to make sense. People need time to change their mindsets.
Yup, I know. people need to slow down.but I am worried for Emily's hate/like ratio. you see the person in my signature, that person had an inner revelation about herself, and changed for the better, yet she's still being hunted down. I'm practically being sympathetic at the character because she's still a kid and not meant to see and worry about extra things.
Old 2011-11-07, 01:53   Link #79
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

The problem is that the majority of people don't change their mindsets from an initial impression of a character.
Old 2011-11-07, 02:00   Link #80
aeriolewinters
Photomancy Experiments

Quote:
The problem is that the majority of people don't change their mindsets from an initial impression of a character.
I understand that, just that the hate has reached insane levels, and Emily still hasn't done anything that would warrant that hate yet. It's just a natural reaction to the stimulus which is an abrupt escape from the norms of childhood.

Tags
weekly episode discussion