AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-06-24, 02:20   Link #1
Tenken

Send a message via AIM to Tenken
Yu Yu Hakusho

I can't find Yu Yu Hakusho disc 24 (released the 22nd) at any B&M store. Does anyone know if it got delayed or what? I was thinking about ordering it over the internet at Deep Discount DVD. I have a question though, it has two listings of the Yu Yu Hakusho DVD's. I can't find any different between the two except for the cover art. One is cheaper than the other though. Any ideas on both topics? Btw, here is the link to see what I was talking about. http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/searc...ting=0&genre=0
Tenken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-24, 09:18   Link #2
microlith

Send a message via AIM to microlith
The cheaper of the two is the dub-only edited Cartoon Network release.

The more expensive of the two includes dub, sub, and is unedited.
microlith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-24, 12:45   Link #3
Tenken

Send a message via AIM to Tenken
Quote:
Originally Posted by microlith
The cheaper of the two is the dub-only edited Cartoon Network release.

The more expensive of the two includes dub, sub, and is unedited.
Ah, thanks for explaining it.
Tenken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-16, 19:56   Link #4
mxg
The Lone Gamer

Send a message via AIM to mxg Send a message via MSN to mxg Send a message via Yahoo to mxg
Yu Yu Hakusho.....when does the series end wat episode

will funimation ever realse episode 94 + if their is any more than that ?
mxg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-16, 23:59   Link #5
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

Good to see that you read my post suggesting you to watch Yu Yu Hakusho! (I guess) In any case, this anime is 112 episodes total. I don't know when the next episodes are coming though.
Old 2004-11-17, 13:52   Link #6
Shouryuu
ショウリュウ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugetsu
Good to see that you read my post suggesting you to watch Yu Yu Hakusho! (I guess) In any case, this anime is 112 episodes total. I don't know when the next episodes are coming though.
Volume 27 comes out in less than a week...I believe on the 23rd..so next Tuesday. 28 is scheduled to come out on December 28th while 29 isn't scheduled for release until Feb.
Shouryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-20, 19:38   Link #7
strategos

Yu-Yu Hakusho dvd info

What do u guys think of the first volumes of Yu-yu? Are they edited? Because am planning on buying the Yu-YU hakusho dvd collection. and I saw that some dvd says uncut. Are the first one uncut or edit? Does the firs volumes has two differente version? the dvd uncut version and the edit version?
strategos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-20, 19:55   Link #8
7thMethuselah

Quote:
Originally Posted by strategos
What do u guys think of the first volumes of Yu-yu? Are they edited? Because am planning on buying the Yu-YU hakusho dvd collection. and I saw that some dvd says uncut. Are the first one uncut or edit? Does the firs volumes has two differente version? the dvd uncut version and the edit version?
I have no idea about them being edited ot not but I suggest you read the reviews at www.animeonDVD.com they might have an answer.
http://www.animeondvd.com/reviews2/d...views/1281.php
7thMethuselah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-21, 05:30   Link #9
elniro

Send a message via MSN to elniro
I'm sure they have 2 different boxsets, one that is edited and the other that is uncut, obviously the uncut one is more expensive
elniro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-22, 22:59   Link #10
strategos

Thanks guys ^_^
I found the un edit volumes cool
Indeed one of the greatest anime ever
and it deserves to be uncut
I also like the dubbs
Well thnks for ur help guys ^_^
strategos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-11, 17:31   Link #11
Naruto_fan^-^

Suggesting YuYu Hakusho

Basicly the story goes like this, there's a young boy age 14 called Urameshi Yuusuke had a car accident and died in order to rescue the little boy. Thus, it becomes a spirit and the spirit-taker named Botan tell Urameshi that his death is a waste. She says she can bring him back to life but in one condition, that is to take care of an egg. So the journey begin here....

Sorry for my poor english cause i can't describe the story better

Any comment ?

Last edited by Naruto_fan^-^; 2004-12-11 at 17:42.
Naruto_fan^-^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-15, 08:54   Link #12
Remittance Man

Location: I live in the ruins of Gill's fortress. You'll see me there with Ryu...
Send a message via AIM to Remittance Man
Does anyone here love Yu Yu Hakusho as much as I do?

I think that Yu Yu Hakusho is what Dragon Ball Z would be...if Dragon Ball Z wasn't so...bad. Hiei could slaughter Vegeta anyday. Besides, Botan's just the cutest thing!
Remittance Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-24, 01:14   Link #13
element72

Yu yu hakusho episode order

It's nice that there's actually an episode guide for one piece on this forum. Although while I was looking at yu yu hakusho I noticed there were 2 movies listed with release dates somewhere in the middle of the series? Does any know exactly when to watch these movies during the series? I've been spending over an hour searching for an answer and I tried to find a site that had some kind of episode guide for anime like one piece, but still no luck.
element72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-24, 01:16   Link #14
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by element72 View Post
It's nice that there's actually an episode guide for one piece on this forum. Although while I was looking at yu yu hakusho I noticed there were 2 movies listed with release dates somewhere in the middle of the series? Does any know exactly when to watch these movies during the series? I've been spending over an hour searching for an answer and I tried to find a site that had some kind of episode guide for anime like one piece, but still no luck.
Movie one is before the start of the Dark Tournament following the 4 heavenly kings saga, and Movie 2 is after the Dark Tournament and before Chapter Black.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-09, 05:33   Link #15
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

I've only just recently started to watch Yu Yu Hakusho. It's a crime that I've failed to watch such a well known show for so long, but I'm finally adding it to my education on the history of shounen fighting anime. As amusing a time as I'm having with this show, what I really wanted to share was this line at 4:07 during episode 14:

I had to take a picture of that! This really does make sense in context. Unfortunately the dialogue of that entire conversation was completely changed in the English dub track. The people who watched it in English missed that amusing exchange.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-13, 17:53   Link #16
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

For shame NoSanninWa, quite a crime indeed^^...

It really is the best shonen-fighter IMO...Balances the humourous light and gruesome dark really well...It really has a special place in my heart as a series too; I mean I can watch certain episodes over and over and over too...Just on episode 14, wow...This series is gonna take an awesome shift on you (You probably still see it as like a detective show)...One thing I like about YuYu is that they don't mess around with 30-episode individual fights or training arcs...They get right to the point, right to the time-skips, then backtrack or flashback important techniques during the heat of battle...They have the best filler arc too which BLEACH right now is trying to copy and has really expanded on but it's not quite as dark and artistically stylish as YuYu...I'm not sure I remember the context inwhich Kuwabara talks about his booty-hole tingling xD, but I've seen the series in both Japanese and English and I rather enjoy the context changes in the UNCUT english version...

Last edited by wingdarkness; 2006-11-13 at 18:05.
wingdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-14, 01:13   Link #17
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

There is both an uncut English version and a cut English version? How did that work out?

Personally I find the macho element of YuYu to be a bit high for my taste. I grew up on Saint Seiya and this is extremely different. For example, right now I'm watching the assault on Maze Castle and the fights against the four holy beasts. Each time, someone insists on going mano-a-mano against one of the beasts despite having them outnumbered 4 to 1. Okay, I don't have a problem with that, but even when the person is half-dead and his comrades are yelling for him to tag out and save his life, he's all macho about finishing his battle on his own without relying on anyone else. This is in harsh contrast to the friendship and team-bonding that I've come to expect from shounen. Usually in shounen these 1 on 1 battles happen because they are cut off from each other by circumstances, rather than sheer stubborn refusal to fight together.

Overall I am enjoying YuYu, despite that previous "complaint." Actually the inspiration for watching it now was because of comments made about the Black Saga during discussion of the Bleach filler.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.

Last edited by NoSanninWa; 2006-11-14 at 01:27.
Old 2006-11-14, 01:39   Link #18
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

^Your only on ep 14 my super-mod friend...This is basically the beginning for all these characters and they have yet to trust one another like they later will...Make no mistakes about it, Yusuke is definatley a macho bada$$ (and IMO the best example of this type of character in shonen--Kazuma from SCRYED would be more of an exaggeration than Yusuke), but in time his friends and the people in his life will mean more to him than anything else...Right now him and Hiei hate each other, Kuwabara only wants to make an impression as not to be left out, and Karama is indifferent at best (except when it comes to Hiei )...Some of the things you are looking for are actually in this arc, right around the corner...

Once again (at the point you are in of this series) you might still be looking at this show as just a cool mystery-detective action fighter....This modus operandi will completley change at some point and with that change the character development will pick up the slack...I mean the series is still pretty homely at this point...The thing I love about this series is that it has a creative spirit even as it changes what the series is about and has just a great blend of gothic, dark, vile characters and settings as it has colorful, light-hearted, and humorous characters and settings...IMO it's kinda the last shonen series caught in the middle of today's shonen and shonen of yesteryear (Something nice about those old-school totally hand-drawn series minus the tons of CG--where it's more about artistic expression)...

I really have a passion for this series as you can tell...I hope you can find it too^^...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSW
There is both an uncut English version and a cut English version? How did that work out?
Simple,...the cut version destroys the integrity of the show, basically sucks, and got it cancelled from toonami....the uncut version (which first appeared on adult swim) doesn't destroy the integrity and has some modern day dialouge that I think is good for the most part...Cartoon Network killed the potential of this series by trying to make it DBZ-friendly (Which you can't do because it has a completley different tone as a backdrop to an awesome fighting anime)...It would have been a cult-hit if it stayed on swim...

Quote:
Overall I am enjoying YuYu, despite that previous "complaint." Actually the inspiration for watching it now was because of comments made about the Black Saga during discussion of the Bleach filler
Well actually the filler aspect is closer to the mod-soul part of BLEACH's filler arc (with the plushies)...The actual "Chapter Black" arc only really incorporates Ishida's part in-terms of him losing his powers and regaining it to help Kariya (A character in YuYu is caught in a very similiar situation--although you're about 60 plus eps from any of that^^)...

Last edited by wingdarkness; 2006-11-14 at 01:50.
wingdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-14, 01:51   Link #19
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Actually I'm on episode 20 now. But your points are quite well taken. You're right about how the level of trust is still quite low and I can see them starting to come to terms with each other. I suppose it could be as hard to tell what this show is going to become as it would to identify Bleach's plot after only 20 episodes. After all, not every show is as simple as Dragon Ball or Naruto. (Before the Naruto fans complain, I should point out that I only mean there was no change of modus operandi after episode 3.)

It might be nice to see how this team comes together. Perhaps I'll get to start seeing Hiei as something other than a Vegeta rip-off. (Sorry, but that's what his personality seems like at the moment.) Your words do instill me with new eagerness to watch a lot more YuYu Hakusho.

Old 2006-11-14, 02:13   Link #20
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Well he's as much as a Vegeta rip as Sasuke is IMO....It's an archeatype and while no one will be completely similiar they share some qualities and will continue to(Hell it's hard to find one anime nowadays that doesn't have a character you've seen a thousand times)...To be honest since DBZ and YuYu were launching manga and episodes in virtually the same time frame who knows who stole from who? Although I do think Vegeta may have been first and Hiei won't ever get to the obsessive nature Vegeta had--Hiei is far more passive aggressive overall...At the end of the day it's how the archeatype is executed which makes Vegeta one of my favorite shonen characters, while Sasuke is one of the few characters in anime I loathe...

Quote:
I suppose it could be as hard to tell what this show is going to become as it would to identify Bleach's plot after only 20 episodes
Yeah, you got it...because when I first saw this series I was only mildly interested,...then by mistake while downloading an old fansub from Morpheus (Yeah that craptastic p2p from some years back xD), I downloaded the wrong ep and watched it and was blown away by what I saw in a fight...Then I was like, "I'm sticking with this show..." I orginally started watching it because I heard it was the only series that rivaled DBZ in Japanese TV ratings, so I thought it had to be dope (Keep in mind this is like 99' where I'm still a shonen nut)...It actually wound up expanding my view of the genre..So yeah, BLEACH is somewhat comparable to YuYu in it's theme-switching...I've actually heard people compare it to YuYu from the first arc of episodes...

Quote:
Your words do instill me with new eagerness to watch a lot more YuYu Hakusho.
And that's what it's all about...that's why I log-on everyday ...

Tags
shounen